Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casio Privia PX-S1000 ($600) and S3000 ($800)

I asked Saul at YamahaMusicians.com about the CDP-S, and he asked Casio, and they said the new CDP-S models use AHL ii, not AiR or AiX.

Hes correct about the CDP-S100 only.

The CDP-S350 is a AiX variant.

That's good to know, since the CDP-S350 is the one that interests me. :)

Michael Rideout

The PX-S3000 has USB-to-Device (audio) and USB-to-Host while the PX-S1000 only has the latter.

Apparently Casio have confirmed that USB Audio in the PX-S3000 is for recording audio to a USB stick only, so no USB Audio to a computer DAW.

Where did they confirm that?

Rich Formadoni said all the new models have the same piano and same action too.

All the new models, or just the two new Privias? Because Mike Martin said that the new CDPs use that same action, but have different piano sound engines, both from the Privia and from each other.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I'm curious about things like what facilities it may have for quick patch recall of your favorites from among its 700 sounds, or from among any saved split/layer combinations you might assemble (registrations). Or are these still things you'd have to look at the older higher end models for?

The PX-S3000 has 96 registrations.

What I could hear, and felt, immediately was an improvement over earlier models. I could get around on it pretty good and heard the tone and sustain was much improved.

Just to clarify: when you say "sustain," do you mean the rate at which the tone decays? One thing about the last generation of Privias that drew criticism from a lot of people (including me) was that the piano tones decayed in volume too quickly. Would you say that issue has been addressed?

Yes, they do. The timbre/tone is nice on the patches. But the decay is short. As we all know this is because of the length of sample, the storage for them on the instrument and the way the sustain and decay have been programmed - typically using looping to make up for shorter samples. Cost of storage is dropping - Kurzweil, Korg, and Yamaha are offering bigger piano libraries on their high end and mid level boards now. Im sure Casio will do the same. PX-5S successor. Cant wait to see what theyve improved.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

If its true that I cannot play my iPad and iPhone sound engines using USB into the sound system of the PX-S3000, then its a deal breaker.

Why not audio out of the i-device into audio-in of the PX? Yes, one more cable to run, but dealbreaker? (Yes, better if you have an earlier i-device with a headphone out, or an interface that has an audio out.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

[video:youtube]

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Finally a video with a glimpse of single note blowing without pedal, for a brief moment at 1:05 (nice sounding) ... Still haven't heard a clean Fender Rhodes sound in any video...my guess is they don't have one.

The Casio PX-S3000 won Best in Show, and our own Mike Martin got to play it for this largest audience ever this morning. Go Mike! Go Casio!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Yes, those Max Tampia demos sound great, and so much better than the earlier demos I'd seen of the CDP-S100, glad to hear the difference in the sound engines.

Cool. Yeah, I have always heard it with al the things you mentioned above, especially when I played trumpet. I just never heard it in the piano context.

Sounds odd to me...oh well I don't play jazz :)

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

There is a Kraft Music Youtube offering with Rich Formidoni where he demonstrates a Rhodes Sound without phaser etc. that sounds relatively decent.

It seems that the PXS 1000 offers quite a lot. It's good to hear that there are some favorable reports.

Does this have ( at least ) USB midi out ?

Man! This is such a great price . . . I'm really eager to give this a try (if only we had real retail keyboard shops in my area); I've been hoping to get out and try a P-515 and an ES8 (for home use only), but at ~1/2 the price of the Yamaha, and well under 1/2 the price of the Kawai, I feel like I should wait to try the PX-S3000.

I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts/experience with rear-mounted vs. top mounted speaker systems? I'm looking for something that's going to go up against a wall (practically, a few inches from the wall).

Do rear speakers like this turn "muddy" or just "warm" in that context?

Also, are the existing CS67 Stand and SP33 pedal compatible here (mostly, I'm interested in a stand-mounted pedal option)?

Man! This is such a great price . . . I'm really eager to give this a try (if only we had real retail keyboard shops in my area); I've been hoping to get out and try a P-515 and an ES8 (for home use only), but at ~1/2 the price of the Yamaha, and well under 1/2 the price of the Kawai, I feel like I should wait to try the PX-S3000.

I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts/experience with rear-mounted vs. top mounted speaker systems? I'm looking for something that's going to go up against a wall (practically, a few inches from the wall).

Also, are the existing CS67 Stand and SP33 pedal compatible here (mostly, I'm interested in a stand-mounted pedal option)?

Casio has taken this speaker approach for years with Privia models. It sounds outstanding against a wall - that is the intended use. The speakers are all new in this model, the best we've ever had in a Privia.

The existing CS stand and SP33 pedals are not compatible with the new Privia. The chassis is completely different so it won't fit on a CS67 stand. The CS68 stand is really nice - another upgrade from previous versions.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Casio has taken this speaker approach for years with Privia models. It sounds outstanding against a wall - that is the intended use. The speakers are all new in this model, the best we've ever had in a Privia.

The existing CS stand and SP33 pedals are not compatible with the new Privia. The chassis is completely different so it won't fit on a CS67 stand. The CS68 stand is really nice - another upgrade from previous versions.

Thanks! So am I right in understanding that at the moment there is no "mounted" pedal option for the S3000?

Speaking of pedals, and I think when someone like Mike Martin spends a serious amount of time with us here, it might be the right place to drop this... but I am wondering if sometime in the future some keyboards would come with wireless pedals. It seems like there are wireless options for battery-operation, bluetooth, etc. it would be so cool to not have to plug in ANYTHING.

Here for the gear.

Is the sound output any louder than previous Privia models? If so, how many more decibels are we talking about?

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

Mike -

I'm concerned about the pivot length of the new action, as shown in a Casio International picture here:

hammer_action.jpg

It had seemed a hopeful trend for pivot lengths to become longer over the last couple of years, so I'm worried that Casio is moving the other way.

Can you describe the new action and how it feels, especially it's weight and sensitivity toward the fallboard?

I'm especially concerned about how this might impact the PX-5S replacement when it comes.

It's nice to have a digital instrument for such low prices. Yet the technology doesn't superbly appeal to me, it's not like I can feel some special chip chucking away at the sound, or a special DSP signal path rendering a great sound. Some effects, al right, even the surround example is fun to listen to, and it certainly will teach people some playing pleasure, doubtlessly.

I don't think the way that's taken by most manufacturers is great compared to some of the times when there was great progress in what cheap mass-produced hardware could do. Whether that's al-right is another question, maybe people want simple, overseeable instruments without a super laserharp that blows them away, it's clear in which camp I'd be though...

T.

The action was my biggest concern when I saw the new design. I can tell you without hesitation that there wasnt a single person that I met with at the NAMM show but didnt think that this was a significant improvement in every way over previous models.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Can the effects on Electric Piano be turned off? It sounds as if Chorus is built in to the Electric Piano. Can other characteristics of Electric Piano be edited? Such as how much tine is sounded, hammer softness, overdrive, and so on?