Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Okay, opinion time, folks... #2971897 01/27/19 10:52 AM
picker Offline OP
10k Club
OP Offline
10k Club
As is known here, I recently got myself a brand spankin' new MIM Hendrix Strat. Because I spend waaaay too much time thinking about stuff, I have begun to wonder what tonal doors this opens for me.
I have never really like the sound of Tube Screamers/TS clones because of the midrange boost they all seem to have. It sounds nasal and distorted (in an unpleasant way)to me. But, I have been mostly a humbucker kind of guy, and I wonder if that mid boost would sound better with strat single coils. Then, I started wondering if there were a distortion/overdrive pedal that would sound better with strats than what I am aware of.
So, I decided to come here and put the question to a bunch of guys who not only have opinions about such things, but who relish presenting them, only when asked of course...
So I'm asking. Strat guys, what pedal do you think works best with strats, and why?

Always remember that you�re unique. Just like everyone else.

GP Island
Re: Okay, opinion time, folks... [Re: picker] #2971924 01/27/19 01:03 PM
Larryz Offline
10k Club
10k Club
I think you might want to try a Boss Blues Driver...they will boost those single coils and get you some humbucker kind of guy sound.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BD2--boss-bd-2-blues-driver-pedal/revie <---here's some reviews and the price at SW.

cool

Take care, Larryz
Re: Okay, opinion time, folks... [Re: Larryz] #2971927 01/27/19 01:17 PM
CEB Offline
10k Club
10k Club
There is no best. Just different. By in large Brian Wampler is a single coil man and a lot of his stuff works great. But not much love here for Wampler.

The Route 66 is killer it's basically a Reverend Drive train with additional EQ and a clean blend in a double pedal combined with a Ross Compressor circuit also with more EQ options and its own clean blend control.

The old tried and tested Pro Co Rat. I started using one with my Strat and blackface Twin in the 80 when playing a double bill with The Drifters and I heard their guitarist play his Strat through the Rat and a Twin. It worked great.

If you don't have a graphic EQ pedal then hitting the nose of your amp with most any dirt pedal combined with an EQ greatly expands the dirt pedals sound pallet. I find I'm not much interested in new dirt pedals because by using EQ I can pretty much dial up any sound I want depending on the amp. The amp can be the bigger wild card depending on the headroom.

Last edited by CEB; 01/27/19 01:19 PM.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt
Re: Okay, opinion time, folks... [Re: CEB] #2971944 01/27/19 02:38 PM
S
Scott Fraser Online Content
MP Hall of Fame Member
Online Content
MP Hall of Fame Member
S
The Klon Centaur is a permanent part of Jeff Beck's pedal board. Discontinued, but there are many clone versions.

Scott Fraser
Re: Okay, opinion time, folks... [Re: picker] #2971957 01/27/19 03:19 PM
splitting hare Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Originally Posted By: picker
As is known here, I recently got myself a brand spankin' new MIM Hendrix Strat. Because I spend waaaay too much time thinking about stuff, I have begun to wonder what tonal doors this opens for me.
I have never really like the sound of Tube Screamers/TS clones because of the midrange boost they all seem to have. It sounds nasal and distorted (in an unpleasant way)to me. But, I have been mostly a humbucker kind of guy, and I wonder if that mid boost would sound better with strat single coils. Then, I started wondering if there were a distortion/overdrive pedal that would sound better with strats than what I am aware of.
So, I decided to come here and put the question to a bunch of guys who not only have opinions about such things, but who relish presenting them, only when asked of course...
So I'm asking. Strat guys, what pedal do you think works best with strats, and why?

Congrats on the MIM Strat! I really dug the one I used to have but parted with it when I got my American Strat. Although I play my Les Paul more than my other guitars, the Strat is often in my rotation. My board has a TS9 and a Selah Scarlett Love v.2 on it. The Selah has a TS9 overdrive tone as well as a Plexi tone. I actually use the TS9 tone on it as well, blending the two together - mostly using the Ibanez for a little bit of dirt, and really driving it with the Selah (I like a lot of overdrive!) grin rawk . This combination also works well with all my other single coil guitars.

I do get what you are saying about the TS9 midrange boost. A couple of my Peavey amps are a bit mid range heavy and the aforementioned two pedals run into them can be a bit much. If I am playing thru the Peavey's I like the tones my Full Drive 2 with the single coil guitars, Strat included.

I know the Selah doesn't offer the v.2 anymore but has upgraded to a v. 3 which offers another overdrive tone in addition to the TS9 and Plexi, plus now has 3 band EQ. It is a good chunk of coin at $229, and although I have no experience with the newer version, the older one I have was worth it to me.

Anyway, my $.02. Happy hunting!

Last edited by splitting hare; 01/27/19 03:21 PM.

Reverbnation stuff
More Reverbnation stuff
I feel happy! I feel happy!
Re: Okay, opinion time, folks... [Re: splitting hare] #2971984 01/27/19 04:54 PM
CEB Offline
10k Club
10k Club
My favorite Klonish pedal is the Wampler Tumnus Deluxe. It's based on the Klon but with more options and more gain on tap if you want it. I play with a guitarist who uses the the J Rocket Archer IKON. That Archer sounds very true to the original and sounds great. I don't care for the EHX Soul Food.

Re: Okay, opinion time, folks... [Re: CEB] #2972041 01/27/19 10:03 PM
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
ARC Effects does very nice pedals, and they make an excellent Klon clone.

The Boss BD2 is a good option. Another, very similarly capable and juicy pedal is the Keeley Katana Blues.

ThorpyFX makes a pair of flexible OD pedals, the Gunshot (mid to high gain) and the Peacekeeper (low to mid gain). Both are worth checking out because they give you a LOT of tone-shaping options,

The TrueTone VS-XO is a dual-OD pedal, with one side based on the Tubescreamer circuit, and the other based on the Nobels.

Last edited by Dannyalcatraz; 01/27/19 10:05 PM.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation:
Re: Okay, opinion time, folks... [Re: Dannyalcatraz] #2972064 01/28/19 12:45 AM
Bluesape Offline
10k Club
10k Club
I have a Blues Driver and a Super Overdrive in my small board, which has become my main one. Both work fine for singles and hums.

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!
Re: Okay, opinion time, folks... [Re: Bluesape] #2972072 01/28/19 01:43 AM
Caevan O'Shite Online Content
20k Club
Online Content
20k Club
You've already got that Soul Food KTR/Klon-like pedal, right? Experiment with that.

And, yeah, Tube Screamer-ish overdrive pedals tend to work well with Strats; I can highly recommend the featuresome, versatile Fulltone Full-Drive 3 FD-3, which is like two pedals with the inclusion of the Fulltone 2B on one side, my favorite "clean boost" and overdriver (as in, overdiving a tube-amp and/or other pedals). You can get a brand-new FD-3 with full warranty direct from Fulltone as a "Blem" (has a tiny, hard to find ding somewhere, I've bought some Fulltone "Blems" and you may not ever find the blemish!), for only $115, with free shipping... "Blem" 2B's for only $90.35...

I highly recommend a good Ross-style or Orange Squeezer-style compressor pedal, and VERY HIGHLY recommend a Homebrew Electronics Compressor retro, aka the HBE CPR, for T
eles and Strats and the like. I have two, and neither of them will ever be up for sale!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _
Re: Okay, opinion time, folks... [Re: Caevan O'Shite] #2972153 01/28/19 03:06 PM
W
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
W
The Boss Blues Driver is possibly the most responsive OD pedal I've used. I'm sure there's something better out there, but for a mass-market, off-the-shelf pedal, it's hard to beat. Boss Super Overdrive is less responsive, but it's a perfectly good OD, for very little money. If I had just $50 to spend on just one OD, I'd go for the Super Overdrive over anything from EHX, because of Boss' dependability.

I find that the Klon clones, really any of the Transparent Overdrive pedals, tend to work best if your Amp is already on the edge of breakup (kind of the original idea behind the Tube Screamer), otherwise they're more like Boost pedals, with just a hint of grit.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com
Re: Okay, opinion time, folks... [Re: Larryz] #2972237 01/28/19 07:48 PM
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: Larryz
I think you might want to try a Boss Blues Driver...they will boost those single coils and get you some humbucker kind of guy sound.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BD2--boss-bd-2-blues-driver-pedal/revie <---here's some reviews and the price at SW.

cool

I second Larry's comments. I use a Boss Blues Driver (BD-2). I turn the gain of the Blues Driver to zero. I use the Level control to boost the output of the single coil pickup to almost Hum Bucking power, and I turn the tone knob all the way off (counterclockwise) So the brightness of the Strat becomes fatter & less ice picky. I do no use the distortion of the BD-2 at all. I just use it for boost and tone control. The only reason I have the BD-2 is to boost the strat sound, I do not use it for any other guitar that I own.

dbm
If it sounds good, it is good !!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=143231&content=music
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick
Re: Okay, opinion time, folks... [Re: desertbluesman] #2972248 01/28/19 08:59 PM
D
d / halfnote Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
D
You might try determining which ped(s) sound most like you want---or close---& then adjusting that w/ a small EQ unit
idk

https://www.google.com/search?ei=ipZPXKX0Loe0_AamkoCYBw&q=mini+eq+pedal&oq=mini+EQ&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0i71l8.0.0..90177...0.0..0.0.0.......0......gws-wiz.xEuVNg-QF7k

d=halfnote
Re: Okay, opinion time, folks... [Re: d / halfnote] #2972312 01/29/19 07:14 AM
S
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
S
Hey Picker
Just my two yen worth-
To step back for a moment-you said that you didn`t like
pedals that sounded like a midrange boost. But now you have a single coil guitar, so actually you DO want a midrange boost. The trick is, to get the cleanest boost possible. Again my opinion but, first a line buffer, to kill the noise of any other effects. Then a real tube pedal, there was a recent thread about that.

Here-

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2953126/Best_tube_overdrive_pedals#Post2953126

Last edited by skipclone 1; 01/29/19 07:21 AM.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491
Re: Okay, opinion time, folks... [Re: skipclone 1] #2972326 01/29/19 09:47 AM
picker Offline OP
10k Club
OP Offline
10k Club
Thanks guys, that's a lot of to work with, and I'm glad to have it all. Y'all rock most exceedingly!

Re: Okay, opinion time, folks... [Re: picker] #2973167 02/01/19 11:39 PM
20k Club
Online Content
20k Club
I have never really like the sound of Tube Screamers/TS clones because of the midrange boost they all seem to have. It sounds nasal and distorted (in an unpleasant way)to me.

I just ran across this, and thought of you, picker-

B.Y.O.C. TS-808/TS-9/OD-9 Classic Mod Pack

Originally Posted By: B.Y.O.C. on buildyourownclone.com
"More gain. Fuller range and less midrange boost. The ability to turn the gain down even lower. Increased impedance. Asymmetrical clipping for richer second order harmonics."

Re: Okay, opinion time, folks... [Re: Caevan O'Shite] #2973341 02/02/19 06:47 PM
D
d / halfnote Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
D
Just read the new GP article abt Richie Thompson.
There may some ideas there for you, although the may not be immediately apparent.

Last edited by d; 02/02/19 06:48 PM. Reason: puttin' the S on it

d=halfnote
Re: Okay, opinion time, folks... [Re: d / halfnote] #2973426 02/03/19 11:28 AM
B
bbqbob Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
B
I also feel I could use something like the Tube Screamer but have not added it yet. My layout is pretty simple; a Dunlop Wah, an MXR Carbon Copy delay, a Hofner tremolo and a EI Nano Double Muff. The Muff is the only pedal that adds "hair" so I have considered a distortion/drive pedal but haven't made up my mind. There are some great suggestions here though! I might just need too start looking again.

Re: Okay, opinion time, folks... [Re: bbqbob] #2973451 02/03/19 01:26 PM
Bluesape Offline
10k Club
10k Club
Love my old TS, but it's down. They all have iffy switches and other components. Boss pedals are affordable, great sounding, and very durable. They just don't disappoint.

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!
Re: Okay, opinion time, folks... [Re: Bluesape] #2973509 02/03/19 06:34 PM
picker Offline OP
10k Club
OP Offline
10k Club
Another, possibly divergent question; has anybody spent much time running a Pro Co Rat with a strat? The sheer alliteration of the two names seems kind of like it would be a kick if they really worked together... laugh

Re: Okay, opinion time, folks... [Re: CEB] #2973516 02/03/19 07:46 PM
CEB Offline
10k Club
10k Club
Yes Paragraph three. So much of the formula is how the pedal plays with the amp. The guitar is often secondary. Like the Big Muff Fuzz into a Silverface Twin .... Absolutely hideous regardless of guitar. Big Muff and a Marshall is nice.

Originally Posted By: CEB
There is no best. Just different. By in large Brian Wampler is a single coil man and a lot of his stuff works great. But not much love here for Wampler.

The Route 66 is killer it's basically a Reverend Drive train with additional EQ and a clean blend in a double pedal combined with a Ross Compressor circuit also with more EQ options and its own clean blend control.

The old tried and tested Pro Co Rat. I started using one with my Strat and blackface Twin in the 80 when playing a double bill with The Drifters and I heard their guitarist play his Strat through the Rat and a Twin. It worked great.

If you don't have a graphic EQ pedal then hitting the nose of your amp with most any dirt pedal combined with an EQ greatly expands the dirt pedals sound pallet. I find I'm not much interested in new dirt pedals because by using EQ I can pretty much dial up any sound I want depending on the amp. The amp can be the bigger wild card depending on the headroom.

Last edited by CEB; 02/03/19 07:49 PM.

Re: Okay, opinion time, folks... [Re: Caevan O'Shite] #2973585 02/04/19 06:07 AM
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: Caevan O'Shite
I have never really like the sound of Tube Screamers/TS clones because of the midrange boost they all seem to have. It sounds nasal and distorted (in an unpleasant way)to me.

I just ran across this, and thought of you, picker-

B.Y.O.C. TS-808/TS-9/OD-9 Classic Mod Pack

Originally Posted By: B.Y.O.C. on buildyourownclone.com
"More gain. Fuller range and less midrange boost. The ability to turn the gain down even lower. Increased impedance. Asymmetrical clipping for richer second order harmonics."

Personally, I have no soldering or other electronics modification skills, so Id just buy something based on the TS that delivers the goods.

...which is what I did...and more than once, to be honest. Something like the T-Rex MAB OD or the Visual Sound/TrueTone Jekyll & Hyde, Double Trouble (discontinued), and VS-XO pedals might be more enjoyable to those who dont care for the originals.

Edit: I know that a lot of people also like the Way Huge Green Rhinos.

Last edited by Dannyalcatraz; 02/04/19 07:44 AM.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation:
Re: Okay, opinion time, folks... [Re: Dannyalcatraz] #2973726 02/04/19 07:31 PM
S
surfergirl Offline
S
I have 80's ts9 that bought about 8 years ago in a pawn shop. I wasn't sure if I got a good deal or not, now I them on Reverb for $250 to $600. Maybe I should get a reissue and lock this up for 10 years and see what it's worth. I won't, I'll keep using it. I will not let out of my sight tho.

Jenny S.
Re: Okay, opinion time, folks... [Re: surfergirl] #2973814 02/05/19 03:35 AM
20k Club
Online Content
20k Club
Originally Posted By: surfergirl
I have 80's ts9 that bought about 8 years ago in a pawn shop. I wasn't sure if I got a good deal or not, now I them on Reverb for $250 to $600. Maybe I should get a reissue and lock this up for 10 years and see what it's worth. I won't, I'll keep using it. I will not let out of my sight tho.

Oh, yes, use it! It was meant to be used, and you found it and it fits your sound and approach and style, right? rawk

Re: Okay, opinion time, folks... [Re: picker] #2973815 02/05/19 03:42 AM
20k Club
Online Content
20k Club
The sheer alliteration of the two names seems kind of like it would be a kick if they really worked together... laugh

wave I really like that... cool

So much of the formula is how the pedal plays with the amp. The guitar is often secondary. Like the Big Muff Fuzz into a Silverface Twin .... Absolutely hideous regardless of guitar. Big Muff and a Marshall is nice.

Think that may be largely down to the greater level of midrange that Marshall brings, compared to a blackface or silverface Fender... ?

By in large Brian Wampler is a single coil man and a lot of his stuff works great. But not much love here for Wampler.

CEB- Do you mean, not much love for him here on this forum, or personally, from yourself?

Re: Okay, opinion time, folks... [Re: Caevan O'Shite] #2973832 02/05/19 09:17 AM
picker Offline OP
10k Club
OP Offline
10k Club
Originally Posted By: Caevan O'Shite

By in large Brian Wampler is a single coil man and a lot of his stuff works great. But not much love here for Wampler.

CEB- Do you mean, not much love for him here on this forum, or personally, from yourself?

What I don't love are his prices. SHEESH!

Re: Okay, opinion time, folks... [Re: picker] #2973926 02/05/19 05:13 PM
W
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
W
I realize that most of the suggestions in this thread, including my own, were for OD pedals.

Sure, SRV did wonderful things with a Tube Screamer and a Strat, but let's not forget that Jimi worked much of his magic with Fuzz or Fuzz+Octave effects. You may find tone heaven with one of the many versions of the Big Muff, and there areas least a dozen of them, just for a start. The classic big-box Made in NYC Big Muff is still under $100US.

I was recently looking for what I though of as a sustained creamy, singing Distortion tone, somewhere between Robin Trower and Robert Fripp, and wound up with a Fuzz.

You might also check out the basic Boss DS-1; simple, straightforward and affordable, at right about $50.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

Moderated by  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose