Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casio Privia PX-S1000 ($600) and S3000 ($800)

HEY CASIO, somebody copy and pasted the same specas for both the S1000 and the S3000. Please update, thank you.
They know. I hear it will be fixed today.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

The lower end new CDP models don't say what they are, except for being a new design.

Posted elsewhere, the new CDP piano sound is listed as AHL II.

They went to touch screen UI on most of the Privia updates including a 560 (with an expression pedal input) while the 5S was left unchanged.

I suspect that the only reason the 5S lacks those 560 features is that it came out first. But the 5S stayed in the line because, as you point out, it still served some markets better than the 560 did, and presumably it was still selling. If there had been a 5S update since then, though, I'd bet on it having a touchscreen and expression pedal input

It looks like these new Casios are a real quantum leap over the previous gen-even the 560 and 5s......

Better piano sound and action, okay, but in many respects, these boards seem to do a fraction of what those boards do. These are nice improvements in their lower end boards, but it looks like we'll have to wait for these enhancements to "trickle up" to their better boards.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The Electric Piano sounds dyno with effects built in

Find 600 of my jazz piano arrangements and tutorials for educational purposes at patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

IT looks like the prices are different than I saw in the original post yesterday. Either that or I must be losing it....

The prices and the weight are fantastic, and certainly worthy of consideration.

And kudos to Mike and Casio for forging ahead. As I said, I have been wanting to support Casio for some time. I actually love my WK 3000 ( of all things). It is a real go to practice organ for me because it runs on batteries and I can get a very credible lower manual organ sound for practice purposes.

So I have been waiting for THE piano for the new Millenium. Have they done it is the question.

As said in a previous post, the Yamaha P 515 is tempting. It is more money, and it weighs in at about 48 lbs. If I am not mistaken. Definitely a stay at home instrument. But it kicks ants!

So I am waiting to see if Casio has achieved Hear no evil status.

Very interesting though. You gotta love the weight and prices....

The Electric Piano does not sound like a classic vintage clean Fender Rhodes Suitcase, such as played by Herbie Hancock, Joe Sample, George Duke, Chick Corea, etc. It sounds like it's got effects all messed over it (chorus and overdrive?) and the high notes sound thin and squeaky, imo. The Rhodes on my CT-X is also sorely lacking. I think the Rhodes in the PX360/560 is still better. It's amazing no DP still can't match Scarbee after so many years.

It's not amazing thet DPs don't match Scarbee... Scarbee's rhodes is something like 5 GB. But really, there are very good Rhodes sounds in many DPs, size isn't everything. Korg SV1 still sounds/plays great to me. As for Casio's Rhodes, they've been a mix. PX560 and PX5S are much better than PX350. I'm reserving judgment on the S3000 Rhodes for now...

Apparently no decent Jimmy Smith B3 organ classic 88800000 either on board.

I wouldn't expect anything great, that really requires a separate processing engine (not simple sample playback), and sophisticated effects processing. (There's a reason people would pay $500 for a Vent to get a realistic leslie effect.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I asked Saul at YamahaMusicians.com about the CDP-S, and he asked Casio, and they said the new CDP-S models use AHL ii, not AiR or AiX.

Hes correct about the CDP-S100 only.

The CDP-S350 is a AiX variant.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Hes correct about the CDP-S100 only.

The CDP-S350 is a AiX variant.

Ah! So with the improved AiR, that's 3 different piano engines in the four new models! (Plus the original AiR still in others like PX560.) That's really good to know, so people don't play one of these piano sounds at their local store and assume that all four models sound the same. I also find this encouraging because I really didn't like the CDP-S100 demo I heard at all. Of course, I understand, it's a budget model, but it's good to have confirmation that that's not what's in any of the other models.

I know the S3000 is still not so much a stage board (no MIDI!), but I'm curious about things like what facilities it may have for quick patch recall of your favorites from among its 700 sounds, or from among any saved split/layer combinations you might assemble (registrations). Or are these still things you'd have to look at the older higher end models for?

In terms of Rhodes and Organ sound, why is Scarbee and Crumar ahead of all the Japanese companies who've been at it for so long?

Find 600 of my jazz piano arrangements and tutorials for educational purposes at patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Scarbee's 1G in Korg's Module sounds great. 1GB cost about .50 cents now days.

1GB of what? 1GB of flash storage may cost 50 cents. 1 GB of what a keyboard needs for a playable piano is a whole lot pricier. Just because something is measured in gigabytes doesn't tell you what you can use it for. Using your figure, you could get 16 GB of something for $8, but check the price of of a 16 GB RAM upgrade for your computer, and you'll see the point. (What keyboards use is typically neither of the above.) Or, for example, check the price of this: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MotifXF512MB--yamaha-fl512m-512mb-flash-board to get an idea of how much the price of a gig of something can vary. Different boards take different approaches, and don't all use the same kind of memory. None of it is as cheap as just using a thumb drive, though.

The good news is, you can solve your problem by running Korg Module. ;-) Though I do wish more boards were more adept at integrating internal and external sounds, so we could more easily take advantage of the best of both worlds. Casio handles that well on boards like XW-P1 and PX-5S, but not on many others.

In terms of Rhodes and Organ sound, why is Scarbee and Crumar ahead of all the Japanese companies who've been at it for so long?

Crumar is a different case, they use modeling. There are few people who are capable of doing that.

I guess I'm frustrated that the Rhodes and organs still suck in 2019's offerings.

No they don't, you just have to buy the model that has what you need. You're happy with your Mojo 61, right? But the design of the board is entirely different from a Privia. I wouldn't expect to find the things Crumar is doing in a Mojo in a Privia. By analogy, if you need a boat, I'd say buy a boat, rather than wish your car had a propellor. Though companies have tried that, too. ;-)

The PX-S3000 has USB-to-Device (audio) and USB-to-Host while the PX-S1000 only has the latter.

Apparently Casio have confirmed that USB Audio in the PX-S3000 is for recording audio to a USB stick only, so no USB Audio to a computer DAW.

So around $60 wholesale for 16 GB of RAM.

So around $50 wholesale for 16 GB of RAM.

You're getting closer, although $50 looks too low to me for 16 GB RAM, even RAM of relatively low spec. But okay, let's say we take the RAM approach. Well, RAM loses all its contents whenever you power down. So now you need additional "GB" of something else for offline storage, and have to allow for a long boot time as all the contents have to be read into memory at each startup. (I believe that this is what the Krome does, though I'm not certain.) There are also costs associated with the additional support electronics to make that all happen (and you need an OS built to do it). So there are additional costs as well as a trade-off in functionality. Now also remember that what a component costs wholesale is not at all the same as what it adds to the retail price. Bottom line: it's not as simple as "toss some more memory in there, cheap."

Maybe $65 for 16GB of Ram wholesale.

As Scott says above, it's not just the cost of RAM.

They would have to license whatever library they want to put in there, as well as several other things under the hood to make it run properly and give you the same experience as running those VST's on a dedicated Laptop.

Just look at the CPU power many of the good libraries need to run to sound good, and have the lowest latency possible.

Now then, I do like the concept, and I am sure the big companies have done cost analysis of this and have determined the ROI doesn't work yet.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

3 TB BarraCuda drive is $99.99, making the price per GB $0.033.

So? That doesn't mean you can buy 1 GB of it for $0.033 or even 100 GB for $3. But regardless, as I said, the cost of the memory/storage components is just one piece of the puzzle.

Dbl post

Question: Can one note trills be played faster on the new s1000 action or are one note trills faster on the PX-360 action. Has the repetition rate increased? Has friction been reduced? This is an objective measurement and will reveal a lot about the new action.

Theres no reason for Casio to license an existing piano library from a developer like Synthogy unless they are looking for name brand recognition that is stronger than their own. It makes a lot more sense for them to build the Casio name and their own proprietary engines and libraries. Theyve proved with the PX-5S and Other Privia models that they can do this. They partnered with Bechstein when they needed to generate some buzz with the Celviano range. Even opening up the instrument to show the movement of the action. Very calculated planning.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Can the effects be removed from "Electric Piano" to get clean Fender Rhodes piano?

Yes, the PX 360, PX 560, and PX-5S all have pretty decent clean Fender Rhodes Suitcase going on.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the report. I was hoping you'd be at NAMM. Are you going again? If so, maybe you could take some good headphones and have a closer listen? Can you do fast one note trills with the new action?

How was the Yamaha???

If I use my Casio PX-360 when I play out with other players, I rely on the Rhodes Suitcase sound all night. Because it sounds fat enough for single note blowing. I only use the Grand Piano for solo piano gigs. For me, all digital piano acoustic pianos too artificial or something in a combo setting, especially for single note blowing.

I liked it better then the Nord Piano 4. But to be fair, between the over the top noise and the fact that the phones they provided were so bad, I actually thought the Royal Grand XL sample was a Rhodes. :confused::crazy:

I actually did laugh out loud when I read this, and I don't laugh much. :laugh:

:nopity:

Looks like both new offerings have the same "powerful stereo speaker system" installed. 16 watts isn't exactly ear shattering, lol.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR