Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil Forte 4.0 !!!!!

Incudes a full 6 operator FM synth that can load DX7 sysex, and 16 CC modulation sequencers.

I've been using mine as a gig machine for bread and butter sounds, but maybe it is time to explore its synthesis options a little more deeply. I was looking into maybe getting one of the software DX7 emulations, thinking that the instrument is much maligned but capable of a lot more than the yacht rock "Rhodes" patch. And then, here you go.....

Sorry that the link is via Facebook. Could not find it elsewhere.

https://www.facebook.com/kurzweilmusicsystems/videos/2180426728645066/UzpfSTEwMDAwMTAyMTk3MjU2NDpWSzoyMjMzNDQ2NjkzMzgwMDQ0/

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting you say that, Phil. I have had an itch to acquire another DX-7 (was my first synth) to challenge myself with a different type of sound design architecture.

Plus, I have fond memories of the tank-like chassis and the pleasing keybed.

Wow...sort of going after the Montage/MODX with this. Wonder if it can import patches from other FM synths (DX7, SY99 {though the SY series had that other sampling integration that likely makes it impossible}, etc).

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

The DX, and probably the SY's as well, but I never had one of them, relies on certain givens about the audio they create. In the demo above I hear no typical example of fat or flimsy processed DX sounds. Of course there is Dexed, a free program that can mimic the DX signal path (though probably you'll use a bit different sample rate), and in the original PC3 series, there's also actual FM, which can sound good with my "correction" effects.

It's usually hard to get VAST to do what it seems to purpose, like a lot of the sound character appears to come from hidden variables or soething.

T.

Wow...sort of going after the Montage/MODX with this. Wonder if it can import patches from other FM synths (DX7, SY99 {though the SY series had that other sampling integration that likely makes it impossible}, etc).

I don't think they're going after anyone... they're just offering more cool synthesis features/options and rewarding loyalty (instead of releasing a new axe). I visited the R&D guys a few times over the past year while they were working on it - seemed very cool! The controller-sequencer thing is quite badass as well.

The blurb from Kurzweil says it can load DX7 sounds via sysex over USB.

I love that theyre keeping the Forte ever more relevant. Isnt this the first significant addition to the core VAST library of DSP operators in a while? The Facebook screen shots make it look like its just a 2-block addition that can be wired through everything else, filters and all. It also teases a Boxcar block whose purpose isnt entirely obvious but presumably well find out in time.

Color me intrigued. Definitely the best news of the show for me: promising, occupies zero space, and free.

Acoustic: Shigeru Kawai SK-7 ~ Breedlove C2/R

MIDI: Kurzweil Forte ~ Sequential Prophet X ~ Yamaha CP88 ~ Expressive E Osmose

Electric: Schecter Solo Custom Exotic ~ Chapman MLB1 Signature Bass

It's the V.A.S.T. most important update after Cascade mode of PC3 series.

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

The Forte is truly the dark horse among keyboard workstations...... a truly badass instrument! Unbeatable with Purgatory Creek installed!

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

The Forte is truly the dark horse among keyboard workstations...... a truly badass instrument! Unbeatable with Purgatory Creek installed!

I like very light action... how is Forte 73 in that area?

Does it readily accept , play MIDI files?

Weight of a 73?

Price ?

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

The Forte 7 is a 76 key, not a 73.

It's a TP/40L action with aftertouch. My previous board in this role was the Nord Stage 2 HA76, but I moved to the Forte 7 instead of the Stage 2 EX because of the great action + the Purgatory Creek and Weiser Sounds and VAST.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Jeffs description is correct.

Excellent, responsive action, great foe everything from AP to EP to synths and even organ.

KB3 is passable in a group context but not as dedicated clone.

Forte is superb on all counts

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Dave Weiser is the MAN!

He just sent me a note checking to see if i had his custom Forte soundset!

That is a level of customer care snd service unheard of in todays market!

Many, many thanks Dave, you are a true hero!

Robert Bosch, 1919

Jeffs description is correct.

Excellent, responsive action, great foe everything from AP to EP to synths and even organ.

KB3 is passable in a group context but not as dedicated clone.

Forte is superb on all counts

After tweaking the organ is actually pretty good - but I send it to a separate output through a Vent. The main drawbacks are the weighted action, and the fact that you can't have dual manual. But for a single manual organ on a mostly piano gig, it holds its own.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

I feel like I just got a free DX-7. And as Lady Gaia mentioned, this DX-7 will have built in KBFX and access to the rest of VAST. I wonder how far it goes. Samples as operators? Time to study up on FM.

Dave Weiser is the MAN!

He just sent me a note checking to see if i had his custom Forte soundset!

That is a level of customer care snd service unheard of in todays market!

Many, many thanks Dave, you are a true hero!

Dave is a mensch!!!!

I'm really glad to see Kurzweil expanding the synthesis capabilities. FM may be a bit tricky to program, but it can do some textures that nothing else can... Great basses, great leads, punchy comp sounds, etc.

I can't afford a new board right now, but I'd love to see a lightweight action (e.g. 61 keys or 76 keys). I love my PC361.

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

Incudes a full 6 operator FM synth that can load DX7 sysex, and 16 CC modulation sequencers.

As always w/ Kurz ...

What about polyphony ? - because of usage of these sounds in Multis ?

Is it a 6 OP architecture in only ONE layer,- or is it true there are max. 2 FM operators per layer available ? (which is what I read in a comment on a youtube demo vid)

If the latter is true,- I´d guess you need 3 layers for a 6 operator architecture resulting in only 1 voice,- no ?

Edit: Or the other way around,-

How many voices out of 127 max) can we play on a Forte when using the "full 6-OP FM" synth algorithim.

Does it replace a 16 voice DX7 and/or a DX7II w/ 2x 8 voices split/layer (Kurz equivalent: 2 8-voice programs in a MULTI),- or is polyphony more limited ?

A.C.

Hey A.C. do you realize your handle has a startling similarity to an old musical term used in notation for centuries, What an amazing coincidence. Next thing, someone is going to tell me humans are actually going to get along.

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

The Forte 7 is a 76 key, not a 73.

It's a TP/40L action with aftertouch. My previous board in this role was the Nord Stage 2 HA76, but I moved to the Forte 7 instead of the Stage 2 EX because of the great action + the Purgatory Creek and Weiser Sounds and VAST.

Thank you... and by "great action" does that mean light, light like a new Nord Stage I played recently?