Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GigPerformer 3 Kicks that butt!

Just got GP 3 loaded up, and starting to explore.

First impression: The set list screen and setup is fantastic. Plus within a song on a list it is now very easy to move among different parts of a song i.e., intro, verse, chorus.

As always, you can assign any name to the sub parts you desire, and assign hardware controls to mov amongst them separate from moving from song to song.

There's a new GP provided Lemur template for any of us who use OSC.

A bunch more things under the hood I won't get to for awhile.

The guys at Deskview are doing a great job

Here's a quick screen shot of where I am so far.

1dFTVU.png

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the update - am super interested in how you find it overall :thu:

Welcome!

Seeing as I really like GP2, as well as being an early adopter of the very first release, this should fall right in line.

These new additions are really what I was hoping and waiting for. I am going to take it for a spin at the next show.

One thing I really like, is it is still intuitive. I did not read any of the documents on using the set list view. Took just a minute to figure out how to associate rackspaces with songs, for example

David

Ok that's great to know. I probably should download it and try it out to get my head around it. Overall do you find it less CPU intensive than MainStage?

Ok that's great to know. I probably should download it and try it out to get my head around it. Overall do you find it less CPU intensive than MainStage?

It's fully functional to try for two weeks.

Yes, I personally have found GP to handle CPU much better than Mainstage, especially with non Apple VST/AU

David

It's fully functional to try for two weeks.

Yes, I personally have found GP to handle CPU much better than Mainstage, especially with non Apple VST/AU

Ok you may have sold me on that alone :thu: - thanks!

I upgraded to GP3 as well. I haven't tried any of the new features yet; the setlist feature looks cool but I have to see how I can make it work in my situation. We play almost all original material and rarely stick to a set list.

@nursers, i totally agree with @escaperocks, it runs quite a bit leaner than mainstage. I also have found it to be a lot easier to set up and get it to where you want it to be than I did with mainstage.

Korg SV2, Nord Electro 5D, Gigperformer/lots of VSTs

A couple of questions about Gig Performer:

Can you cycle through internal-song setups without going to the next song? Like Verse -> Chorus -> Verse? I have a MIDI routing app that allows me to set that up in any host (MainStage here), but it would be nice someday to do that all within the host.

I have yet to see a screenshot where the performance display is a text field for notes and current controller settings. I do like that about MainStage.

Finally, can you set all the instruments and effects to load into RAM on startup? MS does that by default and you can't change it, but I happen to like it that way. I hated having to wait for a large sample to load between songs that have no break.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

A couple of questions about Gig Performer:

Can you cycle through internal-song setups without going to the next song? Like Verse -> Chorus -> Verse? I have a MIDI routing app that allows me to set that up in any host (MainStage here), but it would be nice someday to do that all within the host.

Go re-read my initial post :)

I have yet to see a screenshot where the performance display is a text field for notes and current controller settings. I do like that about MainStage.

GP3 now has a function that can import chord pro, as well as display any text you desire

Finally, can you set all the instruments and effects to load into RAM on startup? MS does that by default and you can't change it, but I happen to like it that way. I hated having to wait for a large sample to load between songs that have no break.

Gig Perfomer has a user defined "Predictive Loading" It is part of what makes GP's CPU use so wonderful

David

I wonder if GP provides an easy way to get current parameter status back from a plugin to the keyboard controller?

Glitchy relationships with plug-ins seem to have been a concern of Gig Performer creator Dave Jameson of The Security Project , moving from Mainstage in 2011 to a custom MAX/MSP environment and later launching Gig Performer in 2015 as an alternative to Mainstage, Cantabile, etc.

I saw Security Project live. He did a terrific job, using samples from Larry Fast to create an authentic Peter Gabriel sound. Patric Moraz was in the audience and couldn't contain his enthusiasm. Nor did the rest of us. Highly recommended. :thu:

One huge advantage that I found with GP is that you have a separate screen for each Rack (patch). With Mainstage i found myself crowding my screen with drawbars, switches, faders, etc....and then running out of real estate. With GP you can have pretty much endless controls.
Korg SV2, Nord Electro 5D, Gigperformer/lots of VSTs

I wonder if GP provides an easy way to get current parameter status back from a plugin to the keyboard controller?

I know a quick/easy way would be to assign the parameter to a widget, then enable the bi-directional sync for that widget to its respective controller (push the 'sync' button). This would all take about 15 seconds... :)

How would you compare this to Cantabile 3?

Its been a while since I've tried Cantabile, so it may have changed quite a bit. But as mentioned previously, when trying Cantabile I needed a manual, I've barely glanced at the documentation for GP. Very intuitive, IMO.

Go re-read my initial post :)

Ah! I re-read it 3 times, and I think I get it now. Yeah, difficult concept to describe. But FANTASTIC NEWS! I've been saying this for over a decade now, so glad someone else finally had the same idea!

Crap, it would take me weeks to rebuild my MainStage rig :( Or else I'd switch in a heartbeat! From now on, I'm going to recommend people seriously look into Gig Performer.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

All good!

The one thing about Mainstage: For the $39 is costs to get, you get a ton of excellent sounds, and the autosampler keeps being refined.

I went with GP as my libraries began moving away from the Apple sounds for my main gig.

David

I know a quick/easy way would be to assign the parameter to a widget, then enable the bi-directional sync for that widget to its respective controller (push the 'sync' button). This would all take about 15 seconds... :)

Thanks FJR. Good to know. :thu:

I downloaded GP3 last night but didn't get a chance to install it yet. I think I'll give the 14-day trial a whirl. I've had Mainstage for years but haven't used it much outside of one rehearsal (which went perfectly). I have no real reason to make a change, but might as well see what the fuss is about.

As David points out, you get a lot of sonic power with that $39 Mainstage investment (none of which you can use outside of Mainstage or Logic). I like the MS instruments for their reliability and generally low CPU, but maybe GP3 can offset that with its optimizations.

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

I started the 14-day trial last night and did some experimenting. One thing I immediately miss from Mainstage is the huge number of effects available. I own pretty much nothing effects-wise in software, so this is a show stopper for me.

David and others, out of curiosity, what are you using for things like reverb, delay, chorus, phaser, etc.?

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

IOne thing I immediately miss from Mainstage is the huge number of effects available. I own pretty much nothing effects-wise in software, so this is a show stopper for me.

David and others, out of curiosity, what are you using for things like reverb, delay, chorus, phaser, etc.?

Watching with interest ...

Does it have midi processors (lfo's sequencers, adrs, function generators, transpose/rechannelize, etc) to serve as a midi hub in a rig?

Hey all,

Bill:

GP3 is designed for most of us who use third party plug-ins, from instruments to effects, etc...

Even with Mainstage, I didn't use the Apple effects AU.

I use iKMultimedia T-Racks 5 Custom shop for effects. for things like EQ, compressor, etc...

I use the currently free Blue Wave Audio Chorus and Blue Wave Audio Flanger

JerryA: GP3 does have scripting, transpose/re-channelize, and a whole host of MIDI event filters so you can block, redirect CC, etc..

I've never used or looked for the first thing you mention on your list from a host, so haven't looked :)

My suggestion is since it is entirely free, and lets you use it fully operational for 14 days, download it. That's how I did it last year.

There is so much under the hood that I am discovering that I feel the best way is to just look at it. I've barely scratched the surface of what it can do, and it runs my rig fine...as far as my needs.

David

Thanks, David. I have T-Racks, but only with a few mastering plugins. I'll have to see about possibly using some of my Jam points. I also grabbed the Blue Cat audio free bundle to try that out.

You're welcome Bill.

I just want to add, that you are correct that Mainstage is a huge value when it comes to the program and instruments it provides.

It's where I cut my teeth on using a laptop based rig for stage.

The built in libraries are very easy on CPU, and perfect for those who owned a Mac product then decided to try. For couple years my gigging Macbook was a late 2013 MBP 13" Retina with just 4GB ram, and a 128GB SSD

It taught me how to be creative with setups to even run Mainstage safely.

As I started really getting into third party libraries such as PianoTeq, Native Instruments, Arturia, and Syntronik, my anemic MBP could barely keep up.

Then this little program called Gig Performer showed up.

The difference in CPU usage was amazing. So I kept GP 1and toyed with it for a long time, while still using Mainstage

GP2 came out , and now GP3. Fantastic

I haven't gone live with it yet.

One thing I did do, to help run my NI Pianos safely in Mainstage is a bought a factory refurbished and certified 2012 Macbook Pro, last of the fully user upgrade-able MBP's.

I already owned a good Samsung 500GB SSD, so immediately installed that. I bought a second 500gb Samsung and used the adapter to install it in the SuperDrive bay, so now I have 1TB ssd

Finally, I maxed out the ram at 16gb. All for under $900.

I have installed GP3 on it and everything is flawless.

Nice thing, is I have my old 2013 MBP as backup , and it is where I test out programs before bringing them over the the gigging machine.

I have about 2.5 weeks till my next gig, so I should have GP3 up and running

David

IMHO, price comparison between GP and MS is not really fair. The real price of MS is hidden in the hardware. Apple wants you to buy their hardware and keep upgrading it.

GP price is not really bad at all. Cantabile Performer costs $199. I think I paid $150 for Forte and a separate module. BloXpander cost me a little less than $100, but among them all, GP is the most intuitive, easy to use, flexible, and powerful all at once.