Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2970958 - 01/23/19 10:30 AM Hagstrom Viking 12-string Semi-Hollow Body Arch-Top w/ Case
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Beautiful in red. I can't access my detailed write-up at the office so will add details later from home.

Recently restrung and set up with RotoSound Double Six string set.

This is an aggressive 12-string; not a vintage Byrds/Beatles/Petty sound. I have two other 12-strings and exclusively want the vintage sound. This one's the prettiest but won't get played due to my preferences.

Never gigged or left the house; ordered expensive Hagstrom custom hardshell case, which took months to arrive but is critical for protecting the information -- no other case works on this instrument.

These go for around $600 used without a case, and the case is $140, so I'm asking $600 negotiable, based also on shipping costs to various locations.

GP Island
#2971139 - 01/23/19 09:43 PM Re: Hagstrom Viking 12-string Semi-Hollow Body Arch-Top w/ Case [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The Viking Deluxe 12-String Thinline Semi-Hollow Electric Guitar is one of the more modern 12-string designs on the market today, voiced more aggressively than most, with dual humbuckers. It has a center block to avoid feedback, and thus plays more like a solid-body than a hollow-body guitar (as expected).

This one was made in late 2017 and bought a few months ago, and is the most gorgeous one I've ever seen as it is in Transparent Cherry finish. Really great workmanship all in all, and the composite fingerboard feels like Ebony.

I am selling it because I own two other 12-strings and am more into vintage and single-coil tones at this stage in my life. I recently switched the default D'addario strings to RotoSound Double Six strings, and it definitely broadened the palette, but at its heart this sounds more like a 12-string SG than anything else. That just doesn't appeal to my tastes.

The nice custom hardshell case (C-55 HagCase) had to be ordered separately and was $110 plus shipping, so is a nice bonus as you'd have to suffer a four month wait as I did, given that these aren't made very often. One of the best cases ever, and a very safe fit compared to a typical 335 or Les Paul case from Gibson. A very comfortable handle as well.

I had a feeling this wouldn't be my favourite based on the one and only video I found for it, but I was hoping that player simply had different tastes than I do. It would work well for blues, hard rock, even metal. In a pinch, it'll do for any genre, but I'm keeping my Gretsch as it's the most traditional one (and a full hollow body).

As I already own an excellent Hagstrom baritone in the Viking series, with a similar custom case, I knew this would be excellent construction, and it is. The regular 6-string Viking models are quite good as well. These are some of the bargains in the industry at the moment. They're based on the famous 1960's designs, but are mostly now made in Korea (depends on the model year) vs. Sweden. A lot of famous bands used Hagstroms on Classic Rock albums.

Specifications:
-------------------
Bracing: Parallel
Body Length: 18"
Lower Bout: 16.1875"
Nut Width: 1.8125"
Scale: 24.75"
Frets: 22 Medium Jumbo
Depth: 1.77"
Neck Radius: 15"
Neck Shape: "D"
Neck Wood: Canadian Hard Maple
Fingerboard: Resinator Composite
Top: Arched Flamed Maple Laminate
Back: Arched Flamed Maple Laminate
Sides: Flamed Maple Laminate
Truss Rod: Standard
Neck Join: Set-Neck
Pickups: Hagstrom H-50 Humbucker Bridge / Neck
Stringing: Top-Load Bridge
Tuning: Ee-Aa-dd'-gg'-bb'-e'e''
Strings: RotoSound R30EL Double Six Nickel Wound Round Wounds
String Gauge: 010"/.010", .014"/.014", .020"w/.010", .028"w/.014", .038"w/.022"w, .048"w/.028"w

I would like to try to sell this locally or on this forum, before putting it up for auction, but I likely will only give it another few weeks here and on CL.

Price is slightly negotiable (especially if buying other items), but be aware that these go for $750 new without the case, and $600 used without the case, pretty regularly on auction and other seller sites. It is NOT trivial to get ahold of the hardshell case, and it is critical for protecting the instrument. So think of this as a local version of those other sales, except in mint almost-unused condition with a free custom-fit high quality case that would take you up to six months to secure on back-order on your own.

#2974668 - 02/08/19 07:26 PM Re: Hagstrom Viking 12-string Semi-Hollow Body Arch-Top w/ Case [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Surprised to get no inquiries here -- a few local people who wanted trades, and one ALMOST had me with a Broadway but it was MIK vs. MIJ so wasn't the Elite model that WOULD catch my attention as a possible buy.

If I end up putting this on eBay, it will have no BIN price, and will start at $399. My price for anyone on this forum should consider that alongside a variable hassle factor based on location etc. It is currently at $550 on local CL.

Moderator:  Bluesape