Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

macOS X Mojave Released: 9/24/18

macOS X 10.14 Mojave was released today. More here:

MacOS Mojave: Apple releases the latest version of its Macintosh operating system

Some music software companies have already announced compatibility. However, they warn they warn that not everyone is compatible yet. I received an email from Akai noting that Mojave doesn't allow users to install hardware drivers without first adjusting system settings. More about that here:

macOS High Sierra and Mojave - Driver Installation Results in System Extension Blocked

When do you plan to upgrade? Early adopters, please post your experiences here.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive been running betas since June, and I havent seen any serious issues that havent long since been addressed. Its a relatively minor release, as major releases go, but I wouldnt advise anyone jump on a 10.x.0 release on a machine they count on to do time-sensitive work.

Install the OS on an experimental machine, or a secondary partition while verifying that the software and devices you count on play nicely before committing to migration. Or wait and let others find the gremlins that werent obvious to the more limited pool of beta testers. It may take a couple of minor updates to get to the point where the majority is comfortable switching - but Im betting it will happen faster with Mojave than High Sierra.

Acoustic: Shigeru Kawai SK-7 ~ Breedlove C2/R

MIDI: Kurzweil Forte ~ Sequential Prophet X ~ Yamaha CP88 ~ Expressive E Osmose

Electric: Schecter Solo Custom Exotic ~ Chapman MLB1 Signature Bass

From bitter experience, I'm no longer an early adopter. As Apple's QC has deteriorated I'll leave to the brave to find the flaws.

Same. High Sierra screwed over my iMac three times this year before Apple finally sent the repair center a fix for the "too many corpses" error. :mad: Oh, bogged down the computer and messed up the hard drive. Photos and iMovie have errors and are SUPER SLOW. And...and...and...

I'm probably going to wait this out a few months. As a note, regular Sierra worked fine. Yosemite was bad, El Capitan was fine, High Sierra is crap.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Ive been running betas since June, and I havent seen any serious issues that havent long since been addressed. Its a relatively minor release, as major releases go, but I wouldnt advise anyone jump on a 10.x.0 release on a machine they count on to do time-sensitive work.

Install the OS on an experimental machine, or a secondary partition while verifying that the software and devices you count on play nicely before committing to migration. Or wait and let others find the gremlins that werent obvious to the more limited pool of beta testers. It may take a couple of minor updates to get to the point where the majority is comfortable switching - but Im betting it will happen faster with Mojave than High Sierra.

I agree with this 100%. Both iOS 12 and Mojave have been really solid betas, the likes of which we haven't seen in years, if ever.

Here's a useful link or two.

Sweetwater's Mojave compatibility list

Roaring Apps' Application Compatibility Table

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Install the OS on an experimental machine, or a secondary partition while verifying that the software and devices you count on play nicely before committing to migration.
BTW, this is exactly where I'm posting from right now. I have a partition on my iMac that's running Mojave and sometimes I boot into it and play with stuff. I have a long list in Notes of apps and things I count on and I've tested nearly everything to my satisfaction. The two biggest offenders were a couple of plugins from Kush (two worked fine, two didn't) and stuff from Waves.

Of course, as is typical for many music software companies, they haven't even acknowledged the existence of the new macOS version, much less said if they were testing it or were compatible.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Now that they can push out golden masters over Internet with no need for physical media its also easy for them to put out fixes. But the updates go out by Apples calendar. So, yeah always good to wait a while for the dust to settle.

I installed iOS 12 on my SE though. Fast as heck. Only seeing minor bugs. Revision will fix rapidly I am sure. They are very on top of the OS that is paying the bills.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I will always wait at least a year to upgrade my Mac OS. I'm on 10.12.6 right now. No need to change for now.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Install the OS on an experimental machine, or a secondary partition while verifying that the software and devices you count on play nicely before committing to migration.

That's how I do it. A small partition on an external SSD with the new system and just my music apps & plugins, that I add one at a time. OK, maybe two at a time!

Of course, as is typical for many music software companies, they haven't even acknowledged the existence of the new macOS version, much less said if they were testing it or were compatible.

Aren't most (or all) commercial music software companies registered devs? They've had (or had access to) Mojave since the first beta, presumably. I'm also gonna guess they had some notice of when the official release date was coming. Maybe there's something I'm not getting, but I am a little mystified as to why the silence. Not that I care that much since I'm usually a year or two behind with OS updates, but I am a litttle curious.

Testing on another Macbook is how I do it as well.

I have my gigging Macbook, and then I have a backup/testing Macbook.

So far so good. I love that Sweetwater puts that page together for all of us. A few of my things are already listed by the companies as good to go.... My Focusrite 18i20, Alesis Vortex Wireless 2, PianoTeq...

I can confirm no issues so far with those.

Both Arturia and Native Instruments say to wait. However, so far my few Kontakt Libraries and Kontakt 5 are working, as well as my Arturia V-Collection 6. My Keylab 61 is also fine.

I always wait awhile as well, so I will continue messing around on my backup Mac

As an aside, I updated my iPhone 7+ to 12, and all is well.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

Aren't most (or all) commercial music software companies registered devs? They've had (or had access to) Mojave since the first beta, presumably. I'm also gonna guess they had some notice of when the official release date was coming. Maybe there's something I'm not getting, but I am a little mystified as to why the silence. Not that I care that much since I'm usually a year or two behind with OS updates, but I am a litttle curious.

I wonder the same thing. I get that they might not be ready when the release date comes. It can take time to fully test their software, but I'm under the impression they don't even try with the betas. I get it to a degree - you spend time testing on beta 4 and then beta 5 comes and changes a bunch of stuff. At least, that's the way it used to go. The last few macOS releases haven't usually had changes during the beta period like that since Apple started doing the public betas. I used to work for a software company that was like this. They wouldn't even bother to test until the final release had shipped publicly. But that was 20 years ago.

Of course, these are the same companies that insist that music software is pirated more than any other kind of software and when you ask for data they don't show anything. When you tell them other software companies don't use dongles or challenge/response schemes or whatever, they say "Adobe and Apple and Microsoft can afford some piracy" but when you say, "I was talking about Bare Bones, Panic, St Clair Soft, and other small developers," they don't say anything.

I do appreciate the cool products they make and the hard work they put in. They seem to be in their own world, though. I guess that's my point. :)

Email from Soundtoys:

Dear Soundtoys Users,

Our development team is currently looking into a few known issues with the way the graphical user interfaces of Soundtoys plug-ins are being displayed on the new macOS Mojave operating system. We advise that our users hold off on updating to Mojave until a compatibility update has been released. Please stay tuned for updates.

If you run into any issues using our plug-ins, please be sure to visit support.soundtoys.com.

We appreciate your patience while we work on this update!

Sincerely,

Team Soundtoys

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Apogee macOS Mojave and iOS 12 Compatibility

[spoiler, everything is compatible except Duet Firewire* and Ensemble Firewire, and some devices might need a firmware update or new software that's available]

* I have the Duet Firewire and I have been using it successfully with High Sierra and my tests with Mojave show it working similarly. I'm even using an adapter chain to connect it to Thunderbolt 3! FW400 - FW800 cable -> FW800 - TB2 adapter -> TB2 - TB3 adapter I use this same adapter chain to connect my old FW drives so it was worth getting for all that I use it.

UPDATE:

I just got done running GigPerformer thru its paces, with no issues.

Here's a list of the things I have that are working 100% with Mojave:

• Mainstage 3.4
  • Logic Pro 10.4.2
  • Gig Performer
  • Arturia V-Collection 6 and Analog Lab
  • Arturia Keylab Edit Software
  • Kontakt 5 and Native Instruments
  • iKMultimedia T-Racks 5 and all effects units
  • iKMultimedia Syntronik/all instruments
  • PianoTeq 6
  • Focusrite 18i20 and Edit software
  • Steinberg UR22 i/o
  • Alesis Vortex Wireless 2 Receiver and Edit software

Not yet tested are my Behringer XR12 and Edit software. iConnectivity Audio4+

So far the things I currently use are all working.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

• 2 weeks later...

This is great to hear! Anyone else running a firewire duet or ensemble with logic X on mojave?

[spoiler, everything is compatible except Duet Firewire* and Ensemble Firewire, and some devices might need a firmware update or new software that's available]

* I have the Duet Firewire and I have been using it successfully with High Sierra and my tests with Mojave show it working similarly. I'm even using an adapter chain to connect it to Thunderbolt 3! FW400 - FW800 cable -> FW800 - TB2 adapter -> TB2 - TB3 adapter I use this same adapter chain to connect my old FW drives so it was worth getting for all that I use it.

As an Ensemble Firewire user, I'll steer well clear.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I started with Mountain Lion and am staying with High Sierra which is now stable on all my OSX devices. My pet peeve with OSX upgrades is they keep changing the interface on apps. Every time I upgraded OSX, the interface on iMovie changed dramatically and I had to hunt to find operations I used to do. I got tired of that.

• 1 month later...
So...after almost two months of being out, how is the update for anyone using it? I sort of need to update because things on the family computer are starting to not work because of being on High Sierra apparently. Any major issues?

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Back up carefully ahead of time. I've updated a few machines, and one of them now requires a wipe and reinstall of the OS. Have to go into Target Disk Mode to recover data off the drive later today.

I heard from the Apple Store Genius that there have been some reports of issues with the Mojave update. Mine may be related to building a bootable Mojave installer thumb drive on one machine and then using that thumb drive on other machines.

Sounds just like what happened to me three times with High Sierra before Apple released a fix for the "too many corpses" error. Thanks for the info.

I recently upgraded. I hadn't upgrade the OS since I bought the computer about 6 years ago, and a number of things weren't working well anymore (e.g., browsers). I tried several times to upgrade to High Sierra, but the upgrade kept failing to initiate. Then I got a notice regarding Mojave and, lo and behold, the upgrade worked without incident. I had to upgrade a number of things, like the Focusrite 18i6 driver, and that too went well. I note, though, that I don't do any heavy duty DAW/VST stuff.

The one problem I encountered (and was surprised to find) was that Finale hasn't supported PrintMusic for a while, so that no longer worked. I don't need (or want to pay for) the full Finale program, so I'll probably look at something like MuseScore as a substitute. Otherwise, good so far.

What version of PrintMusic? I have the full Finale 2014.5 right now.

I have PrintMusic 2011. The Finale website says: "Despite having worked closely with our Apple partners, we will not be able to support Finale PrintMusic or NotePad on High Sierra nor in subsequent operating systems." If people want to use either of these on a Mac, they "have two options. They can: Remain on a pre-High Sierra operating system, or Trade up to Finale." The full Finale program does work on High Sierra, so I can't imagine why PrintMusic can't work, unless I'm missing something or they are just using this as an excuse to get people to trade up. (Note, too, that they "will continue to support PrintMusic and NotePad for Windows for the foreseeable future .... However, we do not plan to update these products, which are based on previous Finale versions. Instead, our focus will remain on improving our flagship notation product, Finale.")

Fortunately, some pretty decent (low cost or free) products appear to be available for my more limited needs.

I have PrintMusic 2011. The Finale website says: "Despite having worked closely with our Apple partners, we will not be able to support Finale PrintMusic or NotePad on High Sierra nor in subsequent operating systems." If people want to use either of these on a Mac, they "have two options. They can: Remain on a pre-High Sierra operating system, or Trade up to Finale." The full Finale program does work on High Sierra, so I can't imagine why PrintMusic can't work, unless I'm missing something or they are just using this as an excuse to get people to trade up. (Note, too, that they "will continue to support PrintMusic and NotePad for Windows for the foreseeable future .... However, we do not plan to update these products, which are based on previous Finale versions. Instead, our focus will remain on improving our flagship notation product, Finale.")

Fortunately, some pretty decent (low cost or free) products appear to be available for my more limited needs.

Thanks. This makes me scratch my head a bit though as I am still able to run a 2008 version of Finale NotePad from years ago on High Sierra. It does give me the "needs to be updated by developer to improve compatibility" notification on startup, but it runs ok.

That's interesting... when I try to run PrintMusic I get an error message (I forgot what it says) and the program won't launch. I looked up the message and learned that it means there's no way it's going to work -- consistent with the website's proclamation. I guess your version of NotePad slipped in past the guards :laugh:

• 2 months later...

Ok.

Just found out that Finale 2014.5 and earlier is apparently unsupported in Mojave. Great.

From bitter experience, I'm no longer an early adopter. As Apple's QC has deteriorated I'll leave to the brave to find the flaws.

Same. High Sierra screwed over my iMac three times this year before Apple finally sent the repair center a fix for the "too many corpses" error. :mad: Oh, bogged down the computer and messed up the hard drive. Photos and iMovie have errors and are SUPER SLOW. And...and...and...

I'm probably going to wait this out a few months. As a note, regular Sierra worked fine. Yosemite was bad, El Capitan was fine, High Sierra is crap.

I am precariously in the middle, updated all iOS but MBP El Capitan

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I spent the first weekend of the end-of-year holidays graduating incrementally and carefully from Sierra to Mojave, with pit stops along the way for full backups and sanity checks.

Everything was smooth until the Mojave 10.14.2 update, which broke a lot of stuff, and some of it forever (as the vendors are not willing to spend money at their end to purchase new NI codes for libraries that are ten years old and suddenly are required to re-register as new libraries and thus fail the current Native Access procedure which no longer honours the old format).

People at work similarly reported that 10.14.2 broke stuff that 10.40.0 didn't. This is because Apple forced some stuff regarding the new file system, that was optional at the initial release of Mojave. Lot of new security stuff kicking in. 32 Lives doesn't behave as reliably anymore either, for old 32-bit stuff.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager