Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casio: New CDP-S100 and CDP-S350 22.5 lbs

CDP-S100 and the CDP-S350.

New features include:

A sound engine which uses four times the sample size of its predecessor, resulting in a smoother gradient of touch and sound dynamic range

Scaled Hammer Action II Keyboard with simulated ebony and ivory textured keys

A new design, with a small footprint and a weight of 10.5kg.

Casio UK

CDP-S100 and CDP-S350

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

CASIO® CDP-S100

88 Weighted Keys with Scaled Hammer Action II Keyboard.

10 Dynamic Stereo Tones.

8W + 8W Loudspeaker System.

Battery Power Option (6 AA Batteries give up to 13 hours of playing time).

Headphone Output (3.5 mm Jack).

Audio Input (Stereo 3.5mm Jack).

USB Connector to PC, Mac or smart device (iOS and Android).

Compatible with AC Adaptor AD-A12150LW (Included).

SP-3 Sustain Pedal Included.

Weight 10.5kg (excluding batteries).

Dimensions 1322 x 232 x 99 mm

Music Rest included.

-------------------------------------------

CASIO® CDP-S350

88 Weighted Keys with Scaled Hammer Action II Keyboard.

700 Dynamic Stereo Tones.

200 Styles.

6 Track Song Recorder.

Pitch Bend Wheel

8W + 8W Loudspeaker System.

Battery Power Option (6 AA Batteries give up to 4 hours of playing time).

Headphone Output (3.5 mm Jack).

Audio Input (Stereo 3.5mm Jack).

USB Connector to PC, Mac or smart device (iOS and Android).

USB Storage Connector.

Compatible with AC Adaptor AD-A12150LW (Included).

SP-3 Sustain Pedal Included.

Weight 10.9kg (excluding batteries).

Dimensions: 1322 x 232 x 99mm

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I assume the Scaled Hammer Action II Keyboard is identical in both models. How does it compare to the well known Privia PX-360 (2017) action?

Is Grand Piano 1 identical in both models.

Is the Rhodes Suitcase the same in both models?

Are these two benchmark sounds considered an improvement over the well known PX-360 (2017) Grand Piano 1 and Rhodes Suitcase?

CDPS100 for me. I dislike all the bells and whistles. I practice on a PX160, and take my XWP1 to an occasional gig. I like the piano and rhodes sounds on both boards. Smaller, lighter, with batteries works for me.I'd buy this board on faith. I'm saving up!
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Not sounding too great.

But form factor is tiny and light.

Has USB connection to PC.

If the action is acceptable could be useful.

If they dont play as well as a PX-160 then its only minimally lighter and cheaper.

A PX-5S is substantially more money if you need the battery power.

chuck found a lithium battery pack thats compatible with the Privias.

[video:youtube]

I suppose these compete with Roland GoPiano for tiny drag along piano. Id use it to do a vocal rehearsal, a song along with kids, stuff like that.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I would presume the Scaled Hammer Action II is a redesign due to the completely different and much smaller chassis.

My understanding is that the CDP-S100 and CDP-S350 are Guitar Center exclusive in the U.S. (no idea elsewhere) and won't be shown at NAMM because of that.

To me, the CDP-S350 sounds like an 88 key CT-X, which would be really cool. The CT-X series has great sounds and for it to come with a weighted 88-key action is killer, IMO.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

The weight of these instruments is within a pound of the PX-5S. So even with the slim build, it could be the same action. Although the spec sheet shows that only the 350 has 3 different velocity curves, the lesser two models (S100 and S150) seem to have only one curve. Also, none of these models have the PX-5S's triple optical sensor.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

The weight of these instruments is within a pound of the PX-5S. So even with the slim build, it could be the same action.
No, weight isn't everything. The new chassis is much smaller both in height and in depth. (The length is about the same.) The old action simply will not fit in this new chassis.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

The weight of these instruments is within a pound of the PX-5S. So even with the slim build, it could be the same action.

PX-5S also doesn't have the amp and speakers, though. Regardless, it's not the same action. Google: "Smart Scaled Hammer Action II"

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I wonder what's up with the unmentioned CDP-S150?

https://support.casio.com/en/manual/manualfile.php?cid=008020003

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

These sound like the ones in my CTX 700

First off, I like when people can buy decent musical instruments that make good use of modern mass produced electronics for low prices. My first bought keyboard was a Casio (in the 80s) and it was fun and musically relevant.

So I looked at some of the demo vids on the web, not om my big monitoring and computer with high q screen and the best DAC, but listening to the medium sized bi-amped monitors I use a lot I have to say it's a moxed experience. It's fun to see some dude get stuck in what used to be organ territory playing with the a-au-auto a-accompaniment unit, used to be the drum computer and try some standard progressions.

I often don't like digital, and this instrument too suffers from digital limitations in sound generation, processing and (lack of proper preparation for) digital to analog conversion.

Also, I must say at some point sound imitations can suffer from what I would call the betrayal effect: how far can you just shamelessly imitate another instrument or standard synthesizer setup before someone is going to think it's a copyright matter ?

Apart from that, demonstrators seem to have little taste or musical self-respect when it comes to doing imitations and honoring instruments and sound inventors, which is bad.

TV

These sound like the ones in my CTX 700

And well they should. It's a good thing, right?

• 2 weeks later...

Good demo of the CDP-S100 sounds, if you can deal with the crazy guy demoing it. :)

• 1 year later...
I see the CDP-S100 has already been replaced by the CDP-S150. Anyone know what the difference is?

I see the CDP-S100 has already been replaced by the CDP-S150. Anyone know what the difference is?

It is not a replacement. CDP-S100 is exclusive to Guitar Center and their related companies.

CDP-S150 is a few dollars more and available everywhere. Adds compatibility with SP-34 three pedal unit, Duet Mode and also a built-in MIDI recorder.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I have already gone down the rabbit hole twice with Casio. I won't be fooled again. (I do like their watches!)

Yes, I like their watches as well. Have tried a couple of their stage pianos but, ultimately, they didn"t work for me. I am happy to pay more for something more professional.

Having said that, I know there are players far more capable than me who really like the Casios. Everyone is different in what works for them.

I did quite like a home model I tried one time, badged 'Casio Bechstein' if I remember correctly.

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

It is not a replacement. CDP-S100 is exclusive to Guitar Center and their related companies.

Ah! I knew the CDP-S350 was that kind of limited distribution model, I didn't realize that applied to the CDP-S100 as well.

Ah! I knew the CDP-S350 was that kind of limited distribution model

The CDP-S350 is now available everywhere too.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

• 1 year later...

I had the chance to play a CDP-S150 this past weekend at a music store. It's really quite decent; in its price bracket I would still go for a Roland FP-10, or for slightly more (these days, it used to be in the same price bracket) the Yamaha P45, but it's much improved over earlier models in my opinion. The action in particular, while still being lighter than any acoustic I've played, overall feels closer to an acoustic piano than I expected.

Sound-wise the first grand piano sound is alright. It has a rather short decay, slightly longer than that of my E-MU PROformance Plus module, but the sound that there is does sound more like a piano than, say, the comparable-in-price Yamaha YPG series Live Grand sample (basically a scaled-down Power Grand from the original Motif) that's been used for almost two decades. The other sounds are lower-quality, and I wouldn't really want to use them much. The strings in particular are really quite grainy, perhaps from short looped samples.

But it's a solid little board, and it beats out the Yamaha YPG/DGX/PSR-E models until you get to the DGX-670 and PSR-SX600, both in sound and in piano-like action feel. The P-45 and FP-10 win in action and realism of the piano sample, to me, albeit at a slightly higher cost.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

does sound more like a piano than, say, the comparable-in-price Yamaha YPG series Live Grand sample (basically a scaled-down Power Grand from the original Motif) that's been used for almost two decades.

I have a hard time imagining why a "scaled down" version of the Power Grand should exist, since the "full" Power Grand was only 2.4 megabytes! Though I guess there could have been some programming done in the original Motif version that could not be replicated in the architecture of these other boards.

does sound more like a piano than, say, the comparable-in-price Yamaha YPG series Live Grand sample (basically a scaled-down Power Grand from the original Motif) that's been used for almost two decades.

I have a hard time imagining why a "scaled down" version of the Power Grand should exist, since the "full" Power Grand was only 2.4 megabytes! Though I guess there could have been some programming done in the original Motif version that could not be replicated in the architecture of these other boards.

I know. But if you've ever played any of the lower-end Yamaha arranger-type/non "pro" or "semi-pro" keyboards (i.e.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments