Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B5 Test with an old XK3. Well I'll be... #2969926 01/18/19 11:50 PM
J
JoJoB3 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Color me impressed. Testing AcousticSamples B5 controlled via an XK3.
Everything here is B5.

KC Island
Re: B5 Test with an old XK3. Well I'll be... [Re: JoJoB3] #2969996 01/19/19 03:02 PM
bg Offline
Great playing. B5 sounds good too.

Re: B5 Test with an old XK3. Well I'll be... [Re: bg] #2970003 01/19/19 03:33 PM
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Tons of XK-3 and 3cís floating around used now that the 5 is king of the castle. B5 and the like is a great way to make use of a pretty well made organ controller.

Live: Casio PX-560, Roland VR-700
Home: Rebuilt 1910 Chickering 5'2", Fender Rhodes MKI 88k, Yamaha S90ES
Re: B5 Test with an old XK3. Well I'll be... [Re: ElmerJFudd] #2970007 01/19/19 03:52 PM
J
JoJoB3 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Yeah, pick up a used SK/XK/etc and away ya go. I got to admit, normally the soft-Hams are good for demo-writing, etc. but this could do in a pinch for a show. Very affordable too.

Re: B5 Test with an old XK3. Well I'll be... [Re: JoJoB3] #2970026 01/19/19 05:30 PM
D
davinwv Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
D
I play B5 live all the time, and I have used it on many sessions (including some national releases). No one ever realizes it is a plugin.

Re: B5 Test with an old XK3. Well I'll be... [Re: davinwv] #2970029 01/19/19 05:33 PM
D
davinwv Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
D
Also, great playing! I would love to know all of your parameter settings, especially in the Leslie sim - sounds great!

Re: B5 Test with an old XK3. Well I'll be... [Re: davinwv] #2970030 01/19/19 05:34 PM
K
kwyn Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
K
Nice playing! How would you compare b5 to blue3?

Re: B5 Test with an old XK3. Well I'll be... [Re: kwyn] #2970056 01/19/19 07:21 PM
J
JoJoB3 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Well, it's more noodling than it is playing while I check this thing out but thanks. Definitely breathes new life into the old XK3.

The only other one's I've checked out/own (software Hams) is the old NI B4 and VB3. Good for making midi demos of new tunes for band members, or within Sibelius, etc. but this B5 has a great leslie sim. It'll come in handy for some 'not so friendly to real Ham' venues.

Re: B5 Test with an old XK3. Well I'll be... [Re: kwyn] #2970069 01/19/19 07:59 PM
J
JoJoB3 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted By: kwyn
Nice playing! How would you compare b5 to blue3?

I haven't played it firsthand but from videos I've seen I think B5 has it over blue3, both width/depth in organ model tone and for sure in the leslie sim. But again, I'd need to play with it a bit.

Also, AcousticSamples went the extra yard in providing control mappings for most organ clones. Kudos! However (and I think this might be user error at this point), but I can't seem to setup (midi learn) my 3rd drawbar set (lower left, an axiom slider set) to control the lower manual drawbars in B5. It works like a charm with the XK3 itself, lower manual DB's (midi ch 2, lower manual). Hmmm...

I gotta head out for some dates but I'll be digging into B5 some more soon.

Re: B5 Test with an old XK3. Well I'll be... [Re: JoJoB3] #2970077 01/19/19 08:13 PM
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Interesting, as I wasn't able to get the B5 to match my XK-1c, even when going for patches with less of the Leslie or Chorus/Vibrato going on . Never sounded as three-dimensional or organic; notes felt more static and unevolving. But I didn't get around to trying B5 using other plug-in effects.

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Select J-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari
Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold Top, RS520T, T486-RB, ES295, PM2, EXL1
WX5, XK1c, Voyager
Re: B5 Test with an old XK3. Well I'll be... [Re: Mark Schmieder] #2970080 01/19/19 08:35 PM
J
JoJoB3 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted By: Mark Schmieder
Interesting, as I wasn't able to get the B5 to match my XK-1c, even when going for patches with less of the Leslie or Chorus/Vibrato going on . Never sounded as three-dimensional or organic; notes felt more static and unevolving. But I didn't get around to trying B5 using other plug-in effects.

Keep in mind, the video is all just B5 V2 - no other FX/EQ/etc added.

Not sure what you mean by "matching". Are you talking about midi control mapping, or matching it's sound?

Re: B5 Test with an old XK3. Well I'll be... [Re: davinwv] #2970082 01/19/19 09:03 PM
J
JoJoB3 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted By: davinwv
Also, great playing! I would love to know all of your parameter settings, especially in the Leslie sim - sounds great!

In this video I was just using the default leslie (122B) and settings.
You can adjust things quite a bit though from upper/lower mic placements/distances, EQ, and even add-in the ambient sounds of a leslie on slow and fast for added realism (I thought it would be kind of gimmicky but it's useful, pretty neat).

Re: B5 Test with an old XK3. Well I'll be... [Re: JoJoB3] #2970085 01/19/19 09:32 PM
Markay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I own an XK3c and am a enthusiatic B-5 user and VB3 before that.

Each has its merits, and each sounds a little different. All are good enough. I have never tried to get B-5 to sound exactly like VASE 111 in the XK3c, or exactly like VB3.

Taking each as a package including OD and leslie sim B-5 is currently the best. So good in fact I considered selling the XK3c and getting an XK5 but then decided that using the XK3c as controller with B-5 or whatever comes along in the future at $100 is the most cost effective way of getting the best combination of playing interface and sound.

Plus I have the option of gigging with a light weight controller like Axiom and having the same best in class sound.

MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P
"Music is a journey. We are all at a different stage in that journey." James Morrison, Australian trumpet legend
Re: B5 Test with an old XK3. Well I'll be... [Re: Markay] #2970119 01/20/19 12:18 AM
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I was referring to matching the sound, because I thought that was one of two primary points here (one about how well the XK-3c matches the B5 as a hardware controller, and the other about parity and similarity of the sound engines).

As the XK-1c is way beyond the XK-3c however, it might not be a fair comparison. I was astounded at the bump in quality when I "side-graded" from the XK-3c to the XK-1c, even if the changes are mostly in the Leslie, distortion, and Chorus/Vibrato as well as the Percussion -- oh wait, that's right there a pretty big chunk of the B-3 sound vs. "just" the tonewheels.

It's good to know that one can set up the B5 to react well to a Hammond organ as controller though, as I often am frustrated by soft synths and sample libraries (and hybrids like the B5) if they don't react to MIDI CC's from external devices.

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Select J-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari
Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold Top, RS520T, T486-RB, ES295, PM2, EXL1
WX5, XK1c, Voyager
Re: B5 Test with an old XK3. Well I'll be... [Re: Mark Schmieder] #2970136 01/20/19 02:50 AM
Markay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: Mark Schmieder
I was referring to matching the sound, because I thought that was one of two primary points here (one about how well the XK-3c matches the B5 as a hardware controller, and the other about parity and similarity of the sound engines).

As the XK-1c is way beyond the XK-3c however, it might not be a fair comparison. I was astounded at the bump in quality when I "side-graded" from the XK-3c to the XK-1c, even if the changes are mostly in the Leslie, distortion, and Chorus/Vibrato as well as the Percussion -- oh wait, that's right there a pretty big chunk of the B-3 sound vs. "just" the tonewheels.

It's good to know that one can set up the B5 to react well to a Hammond organ as controller though, as I often am frustrated by soft synths and sample libraries (and hybrids like the B5) if they don't react to MIDI CC's from external devices.

Regarding "sound", what B3 clone sounds better is endlessly debated here and I have no interest in going down that rabbit hole. Suffice to say that if the OP thought B-5 was on a par with VASE 111 there would be no point in his posting his vid.

As for VI's "reacting" to CC mapping I have yet find one that hasn't responded to mapped CC's that they are designed to respond to. And I have an extensive range of VI's from NI, IK, UVI, U-he, all the Logic ones plus many others.

There are however only two B3 VI's that I am aware of that have fully mapped templates for Hammond XK and SK's, Logic's Vintage B3 and B-5. Makes life so much easier when, as we know, the XK3 and SK do not use standard CC assignments for drawbars.

As was pointed out in an earlier thread the XK5 now uses a seperate CC for each drawbar making it easier to map any VI, including those that do not come with a template.

MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P
"Music is a journey. We are all at a different stage in that journey." James Morrison, Australian trumpet legend
Re: B5 Test with an old XK3. Well I'll be... [Re: Markay] #2974730 02/09/19 11:57 AM
J
JoJoB3 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Testing out B5 V2 a bit more on an old standard. B5 running on an i7 Surface Pro and controlled via the Hammond XK3 + Midi pedals. Really liking their A100 (1969) with a bit of OD added.

Nice work, AcousticSamples!

Re: B5 Test with an old XK3. Well I'll be... [Re: JoJoB3] #2974899 02/10/19 10:16 AM
B
BbAltered Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
B
I like what I am hearing. You have given me something to think about: I have a Hammond XK3, and I have been thinking about upgrading it.

1) Are you using a foot pedal controller?
2) How do you do the Leslie sim slo-fast switching?

Thanks for posting this.

J.S. Bach Well Tempered Klavier
The collected works of Scott Joplin
Ray Charles Genius plus Soul
Charlie Parker Omnibook
Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life
Weather Report Mr. Gone
Re: B5 Test with an old XK3. Well I'll be... [Re: BbAltered] #2974955 02/10/19 06:29 PM
J
JoJoB3 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted By: BbAltered
I like what I am hearing. You have given me something to think about: I have a Hammond XK3, and I have been thinking about upgrading it.

1) Are you using a foot pedal controller?
2) How do you do the Leslie sim slo-fast switching?

Thanks for posting this.

Switching in this video is a combo of a modded echo switch (slow-stop-fast) because my Hammond CU-1 broke. Replacement is on the way) and the XK3 button switches. Either work great.

My pedals are real Hammond 25 AGO pedals retrofitted with contactless (reed switching and strong magnets on each pedal tine) MIDI. Easy peasy really, toughest part was building the wood covering around it.

Reed switch PCB designed for 25-note ham pedlas. Mount at base. Adjust magnets on tines so it engages reed switches as you prefer and tape down. Done.

I think I posted photos of this on this board in the way back machine (can't find now).

But yes, if you got the system to run it B5 will (seriously) update the old XK3. Im using (a now dated) Surface Pro and it's handling it fine (and that's with the AD2 drums running). Really fun to play. I dig the A100, but one of the C3's sound great too. Then again a real vintage leslie also drastically updates an XK3 as well.

Re: B5 Test with an old XK3. Well I'll be... [Re: JoJoB3] #2974957 02/10/19 06:34 PM
J
JoJoB3 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Their leslie sim is phenominal btw (I can't believe I'm typing that).
Blows all others away. And, sampled hammonds should not sound/play this well. Sounds/plays more realistic than any of the clones I've tried so far (Nord, Viscount, Mojo, etc.). I don't own the XK-5 so can't comment there.

$79 to boot!! Kudos to AcousticSamples.

Re: B5 Test with an old XK3. Well I'll be... [Re: JoJoB3] #2975194 02/11/19 11:57 PM
analogman1 Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
Finally pulled the trigger on B-5.
Very impressed so far!!!

Tom
Nord Electro 5D, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins
Re: B5 Test with an old XK3. Well I'll be... [Re: analogman1] #2975309 02/12/19 01:24 PM
L
LX88 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
L
Since this seems to interface with the XK-3, I am curious how well it would work with an XK-2.

I can't tell much from the demo posted by the OP. Lots of overdrive, fast leslie speeds, CV and leslie sim together... I can never tell what is going on when these things are present. Too many bells and whistles.

Still the price is tempting though I have never actually come to terms with software Hammonds. Isn't there some kind of interface in the OP video?

I assume that there must be a usb to midi going on at least.

Anyway.... we shall see if this " blows away" the Mojo , Key B etc. Ease of use and ergonomics also factor into all of this. Use of audio outputs, expression , pedal inputs etc. etc.

Re: B5 Test with an old XK3. Well I'll be... [Re: LX88] #2975420 02/12/19 08:54 PM
J
JoJoB3 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
It has mappings for the XK-2 (and nearly all of Hammonds boards and all other clones). Select the model in midi prefs and go.

In this instance, I'm using B5 on an i7 MS Surface Pro. Interfaces here are simple little items. I used a Tbox 2x2 (ASIO4ALL and minijack audio) out or this little Behringer UMC204HD. Or I can run a MIDI cable from XK3 out to the desktop sys.

Can't tell what's going on? Really?
I used whatever OD level I wanted to use, I don't make videos for 'you'. You can lower and raise it however you want (or turn it off). Make your own video.

I've had the Mojo here (which is also a computer) on 5 diff occasions. It betters it (blows it away?) in sound and leslie sim imo.
The Mojo serves it's purpose just like all clones. The main reason I avoided the Mojo is because of limited MIDI func, key feel, and the top of the Mojo contains the controls. No modules, music, etc. on top nor ability to easily control unless another synth above is raised substantially. That's a no go for me.

I didn't make B5, I don't give a rip what anyone likes and buys. Buy whatever you dig.

Originally Posted By: LX88
Since this seems to interface with the XK-3, I am curious how well it would work with an XK-2.

I can't tell much from the demo posted by the OP. Lots of overdrive, fast leslie speeds, CV and leslie sim together... I can never tell what is going on when these things are present. Too many bells and whistles.

Still the price is tempting though I have never actually come to terms with software Hammonds. Isn't there some kind of interface in the OP video?

I assume that there must be a usb to midi going on at least.

Anyway.... we shall see if this " blows away" the Mojo , Key B etc. Ease of use and ergonomics also factor into all of this. Use of audio outputs, expression , pedal inputs etc. etc.

Re: B5 Test with an old XK3. Well I'll be... [Re: JoJoB3] #2975546 02/13/19 06:11 PM
L
LX88 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
L
My apologies....

I know you didn't make your demo for me, but no... I can't tell what is going on with clone demos when there is a lot of overdrive, leslie sim mixed with CV, and the registrations keep changing so often that I can't get a sense of realism etc.

The same thing happened with the HX3 demos a few years back.It seemed that they never could shut that damn leslie sim off! And they were oh so proud of it.

The point I am trying to make is... at some point, what I need to hear is just the Hammond without the bells and whistles.

But I probably am in the minority on that one.

The reason that I felt compelled to comment is because of the
"blows away" claim.

In my case, I do have the Viscount Key B solo. The main reason I got it was that it does basic Hammond really really well and also ergonomically it's really easy to use.

Also... a list member sold it to me for 600 dollars off when it was barely a month old! Gotta love that Garage Sale...

The leslie sim of the Viscount works well for me also, but it is not adjustable. But I keep leslie sim use to a minimum and the reason for that is, it tends to be greatly overused . A little taste of it is much more effective.

Once again , I apologize but I just had to say something when someone tells me that they have something that will blow away whatever I have.

Re: B5 Test with an old XK3. Well I'll be... [Re: LX88] #2975599 02/13/19 10:23 PM
J
JoJoB3 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Well it sounds like yer looking for something a bit closer to the real deal and that's the only reason I answer with "check out B5". I was expecting more of the same myself but within minutes was happy with how it played and sounded. It's still not 'the real deal' of course, but noticeably better than the current offerrings.

You don't have to explain the clone use to me, I use this old XK3 at times too (have to use a real leslie with it though). When the need arrives I'l be calling up B5. How to amplify it best though is an unknown right now.

There's no demo so I understand the trepidation.

My apologies....

I know you didn't make your demo for me, but no... I can't tell what is going on with clone demos when there is a lot of overdrive, leslie sim mixed with CV, and the registrations keep changing so often that I can't get a sense of realism etc.

The same thing happened with the HX3 demos a few years back.It seemed that they never could shut that damn leslie sim off! And they were oh so proud of it.

The point I am trying to make is... at some point, what I need to hear is just the Hammond without the bells and whistles.

But I probably am in the minority on that one.

The reason that I felt compelled to comment is because of the
"blows away" claim.

In my case, I do have the Viscount Key B solo. The main reason I got it was that it does basic Hammond really really well and also ergonomically it's really easy to use.

Also... a list member sold it to me for 600 dollars off when it was barely a month old! Gotta love that Garage Sale...

The leslie sim of the Viscount works well for me also, but it is not adjustable. But I keep leslie sim use to a minimum and the reason for that is, it tends to be greatly overused . A little taste of it is much more effective.

Once again , I apologize but I just had to say something when someone tells me that they have something that will blow away whatever I have.

Re: B5 Test with an old XK3. Well I'll be... [Re: JoJoB3] #2975636 02/14/19 01:55 AM
G
Groove58 Offline
G
In my case, I do have the Viscount Key B solo.

Is it the current Viscount Legend Solo or the earlier KeyB Solo?

Moderated by  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner