Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha CP88 and 73 - Deserve their own thread

if you want bass on the left and anything other than a piano/EP category sound on the right, you may be out of luck. So maybe not the best choice as a single board for a LH bass player.

Correcting that, there's an Advanced Mode that lets you play any sound from any section, so any combination is possible. I don't think there's any way to pan the sounds to their own outputs, though.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

What I would wonder about is since so many people have a hard on for the Nord line and then Nord having that market locked down how well will Yamaha do? As I said they can stand on their own two legs but I have been reading the above comments. I am a big fan of Yamaha and always have been but it might be a hard market to break into as the Nord is the IPhone of the keyboard world. It's a tough call.....

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Here's the sound breakdown (including the downloadable update):

Grand Pianos (5)

Upright Pianos (2)

CP80 Pianos (2)

Layered Pianos (2)

Rhodes (5)

Wulri (3)

Clav (2)

Harpsi

DX/FM Pianos (6)

Pads (4) (incl. "air choir")

Strings (4) (incl OB synth strings)

Drawbar organs (5)

Transistor organs (3)

Pipe organs (2)

Glock

Vibes

Xylophone

Marimba

Other bells/chromatic percussion (3)

Lead synths (2)

Bass (3) (acoustic, electric, synth)

Guitar (2) (steel, clean)

Synth brass

The next sound update is scheduled for September.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

What I would wonder about is since so many people have a hard on for the Nord line and then Nord having that market locked down how well will Yamaha do? As I said they can stand on their own two legs but I have been reading the above comments. I am a big fan of Yamaha and always have been but it might be a hard market to break into as the Nord is the IPhone of the keyboard world. It's a tough call.....

As Elmer said, action (TBD) and price ($1000 less than hammer action Electro on the 73, $500 less than Nord Piano on the 88). But other differences could sway someone one way or the other...

Other Yamaha advantages: 4-zone MIDI controller functions, pitch and mod controls, more instant patch recall buttons, more split/layer flexibility.

Nord advantages: wider range of different pianos, more complete clav emulation, much larger selection of non-piano sounds, ability to load your own samples (and, on the Electro, the clonewhel organ action; on the Nord Piano, the triple pedal).

Not everyone likes Nord (Fatar) actions or prices.

And many people who do not like Yamaha for their user interfaces will welcome the new approach.

Who knows yet, Elmer.... these new Yamahas might be the best of both worlds.

If youre willing to use a seperate clonewheel for organ duties more intensive than pads....

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Thanks jefsco, I thought it was just me... Yamaha really counts every little attribute to define their products and lines...if they give you this you don't get THAT (No Soup For You).... so it wouldn't surprise me if it's not...I like the 515 and I always felt their stage/home pianos gave you a better piano playing experience than many of their flagships with good pianos like the Motif and I hate to say it the Montage (maybe?!!)...the Montage piano played very well I must say, I've been hittin it at GC here on lunch hours ... but not sure how the symp. resonance and all actually stacks up ... I would think the 515 is better with that Piano Room function or whatever it's called!

Does anyone know if the P-515 keybed is 3 sensor?

When i researched before purchase, i had in my spreadsheet that it was triple sensor.

Do not remember the source though, as Yamaha doesnt specify on their site.

To repeat a note you have to let the key about halfway up, without the previous struck note going quiet.

According to posts ive seen from anotherscott, that would be triple sensor behavior.

Very odd that Yamaha does not specify on site though.

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

I've given this keyboard some thought over the past few days -- probably more than it deserves. The more I think about it, the less it makes sense.

It's not a good all-in-one keyboard. The "other" section is too weak in general for that, and I don't expect a vast transformation through updates.

So this is really for two types of folks: 1) those who will pair it with other keyboards, and 2) those who will use it primarily for piano.

If you're pairing with other keyboards, then you really something strong on both organ and synth, because the CP is weak on both. For me, my second keyboard has to be a clonewheel, but that still leaves even basic synth duties unfilled. So now I have to think about at least another module or laptop, and then I've got the sort of complicated setup I try to avoid. And then you've got the further problem of how to position the top board over the CP.

As a broad generalization, folks who just need a good piano don't need all the surface controls. They're generally not changing effects and engaging delay in the middle of a performance. They'll get better bang for buck with a more conventional slab.

What I'd really like to see is a Yamaha CP4-73, weighing in at about 32 lbs. But that won't happen.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I've given this keyboard some thought over the past few days -- probably more than it deserves. The more I think about it, the less it makes sense.

It's not a good all-in-one keyboard. The "other" section is too weak in general for that, and I don't expect a vast transformation through updates.

So this is really for two types of folks: 1) those who will pair it with other keyboards, and 2) those who will use it primarily for piano.

If you're pairing with other keyboards, then you really something strong on both organ and synth, because the CP is weak on both. For me, my second keyboard has to be a clonewheel, but that still leaves even basic synth duties unfilled. So now I have to think about at least another module or laptop, and then I've got the sort of complicated setup I try to avoid. And then you've got the further problem of how to position the top board over the CP.

As a broad generalization, folks who just need a good piano don't need all the surface controls. They're generally not changing effects and engaging delay in the middle of a performance. They'll get better bang for buck with a more conventional slab.

What I'd really like to see is a Yamaha CP4-73, weighing in at about 32 lbs. But that won't happen.

Yeah, Adan, it IS a piano-centric board. But it seems to be Yamahas answer to botb Nord and to the Korg SV-1.

If it gives me what the SV-1 has with a good Yamaha action, then itll make me and quite a few others happy.

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Many people are loyal to brands, and want to stay within those brands. It's possible that Yamaha sees this a filling a hole for the Yamaha loyal who are interested in the Nord Piano/Electro or Korg Grandstage/SV-1.

Its ultimate companion would be a high quality synth/clonewheel combo. Kind of like a Nord Stage without the piano section or the Roland VR09/730 that had better capability and quality.

If you're pairing with other keyboards, then you really something strong on both organ and synth, because the CP is weak on both. ...

As a broad generalization, folks who just need a good piano don't need all the surface controls... They'll get better bang for buck with a more conventional slab.

I see your point, but picking up on Jim's post, you can say much the same thing about the SV1 and Nord Piano, and about your Crumar Seven. None of these boards make for great single boards unless your needs are pretty basic, but they all have their devotees... the proof will be in the playing, I guess. In all cases, someone could want a second tier to fill both the clonewheel and synth duties, but there are numerous boards that can do that to at least a reasonable extent, including Nord Stage 3, Kronos 61, Roland VR-09/VR-730, Kurzwil Artis 7, and your Vox Continental. I understand, you're more clonewheel-demanding, but these others are sufficient for many people.

One of the brilliant things about the Crumar Seven is that you can plop another keyboard on top. I'd like to see more manufacturer's following that lead. It's not rocket science, people were doing it a half century ago. Yamaha did it with the CP300.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

One of the brilliant things about the Crumar Seven is that you can plop another keyboard on top. I'd like to see more manufacturer's following that lead. It's not rocket science, people were doing it a half century ago. Yamaha did it with the CP300.

I like that too, though it does limit you to designs with somewhat minimal control surfaces.

A couple of things I dont get:

1 - Update for new sounds is going to be September 2019

2 - CP73 action is designed to be closer to playing an electric piano.

1 - well that is a long time to wait. Nord are constantly adding to their library. Putting a date on it seems strange and why is it so far in the future?

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/synthesizers/cp88_73/update.html#product-tabs

2 - which EP are we talking about. My EP200a has a lovely action - fast and light. My Rhodes suitcase is the complete opposite - heavy and sluggish. Maybe they mean the CP70/80?

I think combining the CP73 with a killer organ module such as the HX3 would make a great albeit somewhat still compromised all in one board solution for many people. It's always a compromise when using only one board for piano/organ material.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

which EP are we talking about. My EP200a has a lovely action - fast and light. My Rhodes suitcase is the complete opposite - heavy and sluggish. Maybe they mean the CP70/80?

I think they simply mean by virtue of it being a balanced as opposed to graded hammer action.

I think combining the CP73 with a killer organ module such as the HX3 would make a great albeit somewhat still compromised all in one board solution for many people.

Or a Gemini module, which would give you more of the non-organ sounds you might also be looking for.

I think combining the CP73 with a killer organ module such as the HX3 would make a great albeit somewhat still compromised all in one board solution for many people.

Or a Gemini module, which would give you more of the non-organ sounds you might also be looking for.

If the organ is the major concern, I'd be inclined to take a look at the Viscount Legend EXP maybe as a pairing for the CP73. Or if you want another set of keys any controller and a laptop or the Gemini.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

2 - CP73 action is designed to be closer to playing an electric piano

2 - which EP are we talking about. My EP200a has a lovely action - fast and light. My Rhodes suitcase is the complete opposite - heavy and sluggish. Maybe they mean the CP70/80?

I suspect they mean any well maintained backlined or Studio Rhodes or Wurli.

The Sigma Sound Rhodes thats been sampled and modeled everywhere, for example.

Or any Piano worked on by a tech the caliber of Chris Carroll or Ken Rich.

Robert Bosch, 1919

The CP88 looks interesting, but having read the promotional materials and looked at the owner's manual, I don't think it is or was intended to be a successor to the CP4. (For example, from what I can tell, a lot of the CP4's adjustable parameters seem to be gone.) The CP88 is a very different thing.

So why has Yamaha (apparently) discontinued the CP4? Or is that maybe just a temporary thing, to "clear the runway," so to speak, for the CP88?

Mike

I'm glad to see Yamaha doing new product, but I don't like the front panels, some of the switch gear, or the overall styling. That's a preference thing, but it's not my style. I also don't like the pitch/mod controls. Moog-style wheels are the way to go.

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

I see those two plus a third: a lightweight 73-key midi controller with very good action and internal sounds to carry on should something go wrong with the laptop. I'm hoping it scratches this itch.

I could also see myself using it with the HX3 Expander module. That would be a nice lightweight rig for some gigs.

You have to menu dive into Advanced Mode - so not easy to control you zones in realtime.

The "MIDI Control = Invert" option may be an answer. When a section is not activated, its knobs send MIDI. I don't think you can change what MIDI they send, but whatever they send, you may be able to remap on the receiving end to accomplish the zone control you want.

1 - Update for new sounds is going to be September 2019

1 - well that is a long time to wait. Nord are constantly adding to their library. Putting a date on it seems strange and why is it so far in the future?

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/synthesizers/cp88_73/update.html#product-tabs

Neither the Rhodes nor Wurly 200A utilize key weights (I'm positive on the Rhodes and nearly positive on the Wurly but mine isn't set up at the moment). The keys are just wood, so they will have uniform weight throughout. The hammers of the Rhodes (neoprene, not Sparkletop felt) are virtually all the same and there's no appreciable mass difference. The 200a does use somewhat more massive felt in the bass vs. treble but I don't think it makes much of a difference in the weighted feel of the keys. The dampers on both pianos are uniform across all keys, as I recall. So, there's a big difference between these actions and an acoustic piano. They are much more balanced and I believe the CP73 is going to incorporate the balanced action as found in the Montage 8. Also, the bounce you find with the Rhodes is the result of the lack of back check, an important part of an acoustic piano action.

Busch.

Ok, I take it back. The more I see on the board, but more I'm considering it. Can't wait to check it out at NAMM.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

OT: I can't wait to see the new slimmer (lighter?19 lbs ?) Privias.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I like that too, though it does limit you to designs with somewhat minimal control surfaces.

No,- it does limit a manufacturer to more clever and probably harder to manufacture case designs.

And yes, those will be somewhat larger and will come w/ some lbs more of weight.

But then, you don´t have to think that much about which stand to use.

For a flat-top keyboard, 4 solid legs or a z-stand are reliable and stable solutions where you just only put another keyboard on top,- and it also looks great.

A.C.