Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pianoteq adds authorized C. Bechstein D282 model

https://www.pianoteq.com/bechstein

A bit of a surprise announcement, and especially that it is authorized by Bechstein. It will be interesting to compare to bechstein's sampled library.

Note also that there is a discount incentive for anyone buying two add-on packs by 31 JAN, which is a good incentive for me because I am "one add-on behind" in my Pianoteq suite.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was trying to think what advantage there is for Bechstein in having a modeled library, authorized by them, while their own sampled library is available (and in a price-competitive light version).

I think they may see a benefit in this one being used live, or embedded in some keyboards, where resources are very tight, and that it then builds the love for the Bechstein sound, so that the same people may buy the sample library for studio production work.

It will be interesting to see how close one can get between the two libraries, in timbre, playability, and handling of resonance and other factors. I'm also curious whether Bechstein was involved at all in the development of the Pianoteq add-on.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Something else just occurred to me, and of course I will try it out when I have time (hopefully this weekend):

Possibly the C. Bechstein Digital sample library for Kontakt, and this modeled add-on for Pianoteq, will layer really well, for the best of both worlds?

And for those of you who believe in additional no phasing layers PianoTeq layers great with Keyscape and Kontakt,

I use their EPianos, D6 everything except Steel Drums.

But Bells, Crotale and Celeste from PTeq gives you interesting timbres when layered with Keyscape.

The one that I really like though are 2 Uprights.

Each one by itself seems incomplete, but together, especially with Modartts editing is just fantastic.

If I wasnt layering Id get a laptop, but I layer everything so my 1U Rack Mount PCs are loud from cooling my 4.6GHz 4790k.

LASS and Hollywood Strings is great too, but on occasion a 3 way with added Melloton is so Heart Of The Sunrise-ish.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Sam, all of Pianoteq's demos are missing notes. This way everyone gets to try any and or all of their offerings before buying.

Yes, I think we're saying the same thing here.

Hopefully one day there will be no need for these huge sample libraries. (including all orchestral libraries). Physical modelling is getting better and better.

Ok, so the demo version:

1) 8 notes are disabled (silent): F#1, G#1, A#1, C#5, D#5, F#5, G#5 and A#5.

2) Must be restarted after 20 minutes.

www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

OTOH I feel that it is sample libraries that are getting better the fastest, covering way more playing nuances and better able to quickly switch articulations, sometimes intelligently vs. manually.

I do not feel that modeling has progressed much in the past ten years. But Pianoteq itself has continued to get better with each release, just because of how much time they put into it.

That's good to hear about the modeled add-on, given that the Bechstein sample library version is now far and away my favourite Virtual Piano, by a country mile or two.

Best sounding Grand yet, now I can use my Rosewood sampled Grand from Orang Tree.

I dont use Grands that much because Uprights sound better in an ensemble to me. But solo Piano the Uprights seem to have less decay because of the modulation caused from detuning.

Nicolas is killing it over at Modartt though.

Year after year, always tweaking extra controls, etc.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

They can get amazingly close, but both are so tweakable that it takes a good bit of time to match them.

As a starting point, I'm liking Pianoteq's Player preset the best, due to the dynamic range and warmth as well as the timbral balance.

For the C. Bechstein Digital Grand sample library, I surprisingly get closest to that sound not with its own Player presets as the starting point, but the Top mic presets. But when V2 comes out in its final non-beta form, we'll more easily be able to blend the two mic setups.

I'd definitely say this is their best yet. I think the sample library has a bit of an edge in terms of mid-range and mid-dynamic realism, but it would take many more hours of tweaking to really be confident of that statement.

I went through a fairly thorough comparison within Pianoteq itself last night though, and definitely feel this new C. Bechstein model to be by far their most realistic yet, with the fewest artifacts and the most convincing coverage of the full dynamic range. Timbral balance is also the best yet.

This is good news to see good reviews of the Bechstein will have to add it to my Pianoteq Pro collection.

One has to wonder (or I do) how they do these 'authorized' versions of brands. Does a person with a trusted ear open up a corporate version of Pianoteq Pro and painstakingly compare their adjustments to the piano that is present?

Comparing tone back and forth?

(Off topic to the thread but has Pianoteq content: I do have to correct myself from previous remarks about Surface Pro 4s (i7 currently) and working faultlessly. My SP4 runs all the sampled pianos and DAW without error and low CPU percentage-usage, however it has issues with Pianoteq Pro that I have failed to repair/find-the-issue even using tweaks from a person who runs his whole studio at one time from it who posts on YouTube (SP4 tweaks now outdated) (now uses SP6). Pianoteq has pops and crackles and CPU notifications with an ultra fast i7 HOWEVER runs perfectly on a 2008 MacBook with an SSD I tried, with a CPU a fraction of the power of the SP4 i7 that boots Windows 10 in seconds. I also got a double 'authorization' that I had to notify Pianoteq support who said Windows 10 has bugs and does that occasionally and reset the activations. Looking further about these issues: it seems the SP3 runs anything but the SP4 is a 'hit or miss' and researching: there are certain audio programs it has trouble with, inexplicably. Microsoft has not fixed the audio problems. Also for overwriting (over version 6x) older versions of Pianoteq Pro on the SP4 like to version 5, it wants to be authorized again leading to a double authorization again on same computer that Support would have to clear so I did not. Reinstall via Install Shield the version you just overwrote: no authorization needed. I have no issues with any other audio programs I use or large sampled pianos)

WH

I went through a fairly thorough comparison within Pianoteq itself last night though, and definitely feel this new C. Bechstein model to be by far their most realistic yet, with the fewest artifacts and the most convincing coverage of the full dynamic range. Timbral balance is also the best yet.

finally had a chance to try the demo and compare to every other grand piano in Pianoteq. Mark is spot on. I haven't purchased it yet but now it seems just a matter of time.

:nopity:

• 3 months later...

The Bechstein got a small revoicing with the release of Pianoteq 6.5 yesterday, as did the Steinway D.

From Pianoteq's changelog:

6.5.0 (2019/05/15)

- Improvement of hammer noise model in all instruments, providing more edge to the attacks.

- Small improvement of the string resonances in all instruments.

- Revoicing of Steinway D and Bechstein DG grand pianos.

- Kremsegg collection default range set to full range (21:108).

- German translation of the manual.

- Keyboard shortcut added for saving/restoring window configurations.

- A warning is displayed when duplicated MIDI events are received.

- Reverb switch entry added in the freeze filter.

- Trim manually recording MIDI files in the standalone to remove any silence at the beginning.

I wonder why they didn't send out email alerts to loyal customers?

Maybe it's yet another case of end-of-alphabet for me, just as with Cal Performances concert series, where my friend whose last name begins with "B" starts asking me which ones I'm going to, a full month or more before my catalogue FINALLY arrives in the mail. :-)

Still, so close. I downloaded the demo and tweaked unisons, EQ's, almost everything possible and still there is this for lack of a better word plasticky tone two octaves below middle C, and too-thin tone beginning on the top two octaves. Every model they do seems to suffer from the same malaise. The closest they've gotten is the Grotrian. I really want Modartt to succeed, and I want to believe in modeling as the future, but it's just not there yet. Is it me? It's me, right?

Here for the gear.

Still, so close. I downloaded the demo and tweaked unisons, EQ's, almost everything possible and still there is this for lack of a better word plasticky tone two octaves below middle C, and too-thin tone beginning on the top two octaves. Every model they do seems to suffer from the same malaise. The closest they've gotten is the Grotrian. I really want Modartt to succeed, and I want to believe in modeling as the future, but it's just not there yet. Is it me? It's me, right?

It's probably not you. It rather could be your soundcard or audio interface and your amplification system. I experimented quite a bit with different D/A converters. Pianoteq is quite demanding in this regard if you want pristine piano tone. I had very good results with an inexpensive Audient ID14 which sounds as good as the expensive RME Hammerfall. None of the models of my Pianoteq Standard suffers from any thin tone. To me Pianoteq is pure pleasure. It also should be mentioned that the standard version sounds better than the stage/demo version.

JMTC

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

It's probably not you. It rather could be your soundcard or audio interface and your amplification system. I experimented quite a bit with different D/A converters. Pianoteq is quite demanding in this regard if you want pristine piano tone. I had very good results with an inexpensive Audient ID14 which sounds as good as the expensive RME Hammerfall. None of the models of my Pianoteq Standard suffers from any thin tone. To me Pianoteq is pure pleasure. It also should be mentioned that the standard version sounds better than the stage/demo version.

JMTC

Its very possible that the coloration comes from the listening environment itself, i.e. the room, not the equipment.