Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2967792 - 01/08/19 04:53 PM Lets talk about Humbuckers
Lokair Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Braeburn PA
Ok long story short
PRS CE24 with HFS(15K ohm) bridge and vintage bass(8.5k ohm) neck.
Gonna replace as the bridge is just not cutting it for my setup just not all that definitive in highgain for me).
I am thinking a PAF style humbucker (around 8k give or take).
And I think while I am at it gonna do the neck too say PAF style(around 7.25k give or take).

any suggestions? Favorites that you have experience, or ones to avoid ect.
any other spec I should be looking at such as magnet type windings ect?

Lok

GP Island
#2967799 - 01/08/19 05:30 PM Re: Lets talk about Humbuckers [Re: Lokair]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
I cannot say enough good about the Seymour Duncan JB for the bridge and a '59 for the neck. I's the set that came in my Hamer Special FM from the factory, and it has never disappointed.

#2967802 - 01/08/19 05:45 PM Re: Lets talk about Humbuckers [Re: picker]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
What’s your target tone?

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2967813 - 01/08/19 06:13 PM Re: Lets talk about Humbuckers [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Lokair Offline
Gold Member

Target Tone, sorta like John Petrucci meets Michael Schenker. Maybe like Iron Maiden mid 80s , but with a modern amp. Well defined notes which seems to be missing on the bridge pickup, and nice creamy over drive.

Lok

#2967819 - 01/08/19 06:53 PM Re: Lets talk about Humbuckers [Re: Lokair]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Budget?
Location? (Country affects price & availability.)

Doing any downtuning?

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (01/08/19 06:55 PM)

#2967829 - 01/08/19 07:48 PM Re: Lets talk about Humbuckers [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
I like the 57 US made Gibson humbuckers. I have the covered version on my Epi ES 175 and the uncovered zebra version on my LP Classic. Both sound very nice. I don't play hard rock or metal and I'm more of a lower volume guy. So I'll let the blues'ers advise you on the PAF Burstbuckers...The 57's run about $175 each.

Edited by Larryz (01/08/19 07:51 PM)

#2967855 - 01/08/19 10:40 PM Re: Lets talk about Humbuckers [Re: Lokair]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
I'm gonna run contrary to conventional internet wizz dom and recommend Gibson 500T and 496R ceramic humbuckers! Just spend some time adjusting their heights and that of their polepieces. If you do try 'em, lemmy know and I'll give you my best tips on makin' 'em sound their best. (Also try DR Pure Blues strings with these pickups.) These pickups and strings are what I run on my Les Paul.

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2967868 - 01/09/19 01:52 AM Re: Lets talk about Humbuckers [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Also, are you coil-splitting? At both positions?

#2967869 - 01/09/19 03:01 AM Re: Lets talk about Humbuckers [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Lokair Offline
Gold Member

Budget is some where around 300$
Location western Pa
Down tuning is is drop d at most for this guitar
Coil tapping not necessary, two guitars now have it and I rarely use it/nor get excited when I do.

I have been digging into the JB and 59 suggested by picker. Nice reviews and looks quality.

Now I had not even considered Gibson That 57 specs look good .

I have a Les Paul with the 500t and 496R in it, I guess I will have to pull it out and see how it stacks up.

thanks for the advice so far got alot if comparing to do now.

Lok

#2967942 - 01/09/19 09:46 AM Re: Lets talk about Humbuckers [Re: Lokair]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

My 2¢:

The SD 59 is probably my favorite Seymour Duncan humbucker, bar none. The JB & Jazz combo, though, is a hard rock standard, and with good reason. I know I have at least 2 guitars with them, and have played untold numbers.

RailHammer HyperVintage are very nice, and at under $100/ea, well within your budget. The RailHammer design combines blade & poles in order to get the best of both worlds- a bit better for downtuning than most pickups.

TV Jones Fillertron-inspired pickups can do quite a job. They’re a bit brighter and lower output than most HBs currently in vogue. Rival Sons’ guitarist Scott Holiday uses them in his Kauer customs, and he squeezes all kinds of great rock tones out of them.

You might consider the Rio Grande Tallboy, which is one of RG’s “true splitting” pickups. They’re made by combining 2 actual singlecoils in a humbucker housing, so when split, they sound exactly like a singlecoil. Because they are. The Tallboy in particular is the one based on their standard Starr singlecoil.

However, if you don’t need coil splitting, you might consider swapping the neck or even both pickups with HB-sized P90s. Several winders make them, and- just like HBs- they come in all kinds of output levels. I’d recommend RailHammer, Bareknuckle, The Creamery, Lollar, Vintage Vibe and Rio Grande HB-sized P90s. I posted some of their demos here:
http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2967453/2/Recommendation_on_Hollowbody_o

I have a couple of HB/P90 guitars, and find it to be a very flexible combination, almost like a beefier HSS.

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (01/09/19 09:57 AM)

#2967946 - 01/09/19 09:57 AM Re: Lets talk about Humbuckers [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Virginia
I'm strictly a P90 guy myself, but I do know bareknuckles offers some of the best pickups (humbuckers and single coil) available. Plus, they will wind you whatever you want.

https://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/pickups/humbucker

#2967951 - 01/09/19 10:05 AM Re: Lets talk about Humbuckers [Re: picker]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: picker
I cannot say enough good about the Seymour Duncan JB for the bridge and a '59 for the neck. I's the set that came in my Hamer Special FM from the factory, and it has never disappointed.

This is the set I put into my Heritage H-140 Goldtop and they are wonderful. I also make use of the Seymour Duncan Triple Shot mounting rings that let you split the coils (using either one) as well as choose between series or parallel wiring for the huimbuckers. Great tones!

#2967958 - 01/09/19 11:04 AM Re: Lets talk about Humbuckers [Re: p90jr]
CEB Offline
10k Club

If you want to split coils I prefer the Duncan 59 Custom Hybrid. Otherwise there are a lot of great pickups. Depends on what you want to match them with and what you want to do. JB is a standard. The DiMarzio X2N is still a timeless and unique ultra hot pickup. The sustain and ability to nail feedback with out the sustainer add on stuff is great. I like DiMarzio Tone Zone mostly because it pairs well with the Bluesbucker, my favorite neck humbucker. Tone Zone isn't hot enough for you the JB is better. There are just too many unique and great pickups. .... And great pickups are always expensive. Just bobbin wire and magnets.

PS. The 59 Custom Hybrid might be a really good choice still. It has the mids from the 59 coil and the sparkle of the Custom coil. When split it uses the 7.89k Custom coil.

A friend put Dimarzo Mo Joes in his Music Man Majesties. They sound killer. But they are hot.

Edited by CEB (01/09/19 11:21 AM)

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

#2967992 - 01/09/19 01:10 PM Re: Lets talk about Humbuckers [Re: CEB]
Lokair Offline
Gold Member

Now in the listening stages of all the pickups mentioned

I think the Rail Hammer is fantastic(sorta my early favorite)great suggestion Danny
The Gibsons The 500T and 496R are out, after a testing with my Les Paul , not really perfect(better than the PRS stock pickups) gonna try the DR pure blues strings on the les paul Caevan so could be make the Paul more usable.
Like the JB and 59 neck or the jazz neck.

On to more comparison and pairing down the list.

Thanks guys

Lok

#2968006 - 01/09/19 02:24 PM Re: Lets talk about Humbuckers [Re: Lokair]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
I like Duncan Distortions in the front/rear pups for my hum-bucking guitars.
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2968317 - 01/11/19 06:50 AM Re: Lets talk about Humbuckers [Re: desertbluesman]
BiC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I've been quite satisfied with the Bill Lawrence (Bill and Becky) L-500XL.

Scroll near the bottom of this link:

Quote:
The L-500XL is instantly adaptable to both the neck and bridge positions. No other combination can deliver such beautifully musical power, dynamic range and tonal clarity......from the deepest of deep blues and the immortal sounds of classic jazz to the unleashed fury of raw hard rock, fusion and heavy metal.......the L-500XL has been the go-to upgrade of great players worldwide for over three decades. Often imitated, but never duplicated -- and fully compliant with Bill's world famous L-500 patent -- and is the only one built to Bill's personal standards in his own family-run USA workshop.

Click

#2968434 - 01/11/19 08:32 PM Re: Lets talk about Humbuckers [Re: Lokair]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: Lokair

The Gibsons The 500T and 496R are out, after a testing with my Les Paul , not really perfect(better than the PRS stock pickups) gonna try the DR pure blues strings on the les paul Caevan so could be make the Paul more usable.

The DR PB's really warm and fatten the tone. And raising those pickups on the treble-side, and lowering them on the bass-side, while simultaneously lowering the pole-pieces on the treeble-side and raising the pole-pieces on the bass-side, brings out rounder, warmer tones with more emphasis on the fundamental for the plain-treble strings, and crisper, stringier, 'low-keys-on-the-piano' tones with more harmonic-overtone 'swirl' on the wound-bass strings.

The idea there is to have more 'air' for the wound-basses, and more roundness for the plain-trebles; the pickup heights are lowered beneath the bass-side, and raised beneath the treble-side, while pole-pieces are adjusted oppositely to compensate.

All of that, combined with the increased output and sensitivity of these rather hot pickups, makes them sing and growl with great definition and work very well for my "play the amp" and fingerstyle "touch" approach, adjusting the volume-controls to vary from cleaner to dirtier tones.

#2969343 - 01/16/19 01:38 PM Re: Lets talk about Humbuckers [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Lokair Offline
Gold Member

OK started on the Gibson 500T and 496R adjustments in my Les Paul, also contemplating a heavier string gauge for them I think 11s might be in order.

The Humbucker issue might be solved as my wife bought me two pair of Rockfield SWC(select wound custom) humbuckers for my PRS and spare set. She knows how much I like them in my Dean Flying V. And my 87 flying V has Rockfield SWV(select wound vintage). So I will be loading them in this weekend. She found them for me on craigslist , and had me get a hold of the guy and have him ship them to me from the Va Beach area, but she paid for them as a late Xmas gift. For as little as she paid (right under 100$ for both sets) even if they do not work out in the PRS I have other guitars that could use better pickups.

And I have experience with them and favor them over other pickups I have tried.

Lok

#2969441 - 01/17/19 05:13 AM Re: Lets talk about Humbuckers [Re: Lokair]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: Lokair
OK started on the Gibson 500T and 496R adjustments in my Les Paul, also contemplating a heavier string gauge for them I think 11s might be in order.

Personally, I've found that DR Pure Blues in .011" - .050" are PERFECT in feel, tone, and performance for my Les Paul, which also has those same pickups. With that scale-length, those gauges are comfy.

If you do go with those, or other strings with a pure/solid nickel wrap on the wound-strings, note that the wound-basses will need the pole-pieces and/or pickups just a little closer; they'll seem to have a perceived slightly lower output than nickel-plated steel wound strings. But their mids and low-mids will be beautifully fuller, warmer and punchier!

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose