Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha CP88 and 73 - Deserve their own thread

And I suspect it's going to be a long thread. As practical as a CP, leaning toward the vibe of the SV-1 and paying attention to why some choose Nord. But with Yamaha made actions and sounds.

[video:youtube]

CP88 - $2499.99

CP73 - $1999.99

A stage piano that sounds great and feels great is important to every pianist and keyboardist. The modern keyboard player also needs to bring studio production elements to the stage. This makes access to key sound shaping controls an equally important part of the instrument. Over the past several months I've been playing the new CP88 and just finished a long session with the CP73. It has been a great experience because all the aforementioned attributes of great sound, great feel and great UI have been met! There is something about playing an instrument that looks really good too, and the CP88 and CP73 just look cool. If you've ever owned something that you sometimes look at it and think "wow - that is so cool". That is what it's like for me and the new CP!

1_blakebw.jpg

Here is a quick summary of what's new:

Direct Sound Control

Authentic Grand, Upright and Electric Pianos

Two Actions for Two Types of Players

CP88: New 88-key Graded Hammer, Natural Wood Action with Synthetic Ivory and Ebony Keytops and GH3 Triple Sensor

CP73: New 73-key Balanced Hammer Action

Sound Expandability

Cool Design

Comprehensive Connectivity

Soundmondo Compatibility

Comprehensive 4-Zone MIDI Controller

Cool Cases

Everything you want to know about the UI and action:

https://www.yamahasynth.com/yamaha-synth-rss/introducing-the-yamaha-cp88-and-cp73-stage-pianos

13_cases.png

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Thanks, Elmer -- I was still updating the other threads while you were starting this one, which was the recommendation I made anyway, but I didn't want to have to be the one who made it a useful thread by reiterating the basic information once again. :-)

76-key is often more usable than 73-key in terms of longevity and breadth of coverage, as it's often easy to drop the top-most octave and not miss it (it isn't used much for a lot of traditional piano stuff outside of classical concert music where you'd want more of a full grand equivalent anyway).

I'll have to check that note range on the 73. It's rare enough to see weighted keys below an 88-er. No escapement, diminishes its competitiveness against Kawai MP-series though (unless my memory on those specs is wrong).

Overall, it looks like Yamaha has stepped up the game quite a bit, but is still nervous about cannibalizing sales of Clavinova etc. Whereas Kawai seems more willing to accept that they are different markets for the most part, and give more of their top-end home piano features to the portable line.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I just remembered the name of that UK vendor that does such good videos and tutorials: Bonners Music. Maybe someone can look it up and link it if they have something already; I can't check video/audio at work and have limited lunch time to even just browse.

As I mentioned in the NAMM thread, the new trend from Yamaha with their guitars, basses, and keyboards, to include custom form-fitting quality cases and bags (with wheels when necessary) is highly welcome. I had recommended this to them for years, as it's a captive market and guaranteed profit as well as a huge problem for us otherwise since it's difficult to find bags that fit.

My recollection is that Yamaha shifted towards providing bags/cases roughly five years ago. They have been VERY consistent about it since then. I say this as someone who also owns Yamaha basses and guitars. And they are high quality cases and bags at that.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Oh wow, I didn't see the "4-zone MIDI controller" spec elsewhere, until reading the "what's new" snippet above. I'm pretty sure that's a step up from what most digital pianos (vs. DAW's like a MONTAGE) offer.

1. I'm delighted that Yamaha got the 73 memo. CP73, P121, MODX7, it's all good.

2. Comparing the 73 to the 88: how do they get a weight reduction of 32% with a size reduction of 17%? I'll wager either one of the weight figures is wrong, or the 73 has a different action from the 88.

EDIT: the Kraft video above mentions a balanced action for the 73 and a graded for the 88.

Personally, I'm not in the market for a stage piano at this price point (even a 73 with a premium action, internal PSU and 5-pin MIDI), but I congratulate Yamaha on taking this step.

Cheers, Mike.

Mike, the 73 has a different action, more akin to a MONTAGE, so that has an effect on the weight.

It feels slightly heavier than the CP4 - it is essentially a P515 or CLP-645 action without escapement, and with triple sensors. Very different than the Montage, and yes it is heavier.

I have gear. Don't we all? Some is old, some is new. Ask me what I've got and I'll tell you. 

Oh, I didn't see that excellent guide that Busch linked a bit earlier. Lots of detailed photos there, and I especially like the old-fashioned throw-switches for turning on the acoustic and electric piano engines separately, with confirmation status LED's. That solves a typical "dark stage" problem and avoids a lot of mistakes in the heat of the moment at gigs.

I haven't gotten deep enough into that guide yet to see if it talks about programming, but was already going to ask earlier whether this might be something the Purgatory Creek samples could be targeted towards.

Effects section is cool. 73 weighted keys is good. Cutoff/resonance options would have been nice. In the stage piano with ROMpler sounds category this seems like its a top contender. Hope they sell well.

Edit; and obviously targeting the Nord piano/electro market. Not a bad thing.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

Back to the gig bags again: does it look like Yamaha sourced these from high-end maker Mono Bags?

Looking at closeups now of the back panel, from the manual that Busch linked, it is clear that tri-pedals are not supported, unless doing so via MIDI (CME at one point made such pedals), as there is just one sustain jack and one continuous jack.

Oh wait, there's also foot controller one and two. Those didn't show up in the specs. I'll update this post once I figure out what they're for.

Initial Update: no resolution on the foot controller jacks in the Music Production Guide. They could be for expansion to tri-pedals. It seems likely.

The guide is across products, and doesn't go into that sort of depth as it's more about programming and sound libraries. Peter Krischker's Easy Sounds is awesome and I used his products a lot when I still had hardware. He was behind a lot of the CS6x and EX5 and then later the MOTIF XF or maybe MONTAGE or both, as I recall. Maybe he was involved swith CP-88/CP-73 voicing also.

Further Update: the Yamaha link at the top of the thread, which I assumed was the same as the earlier one and so didn't click on at first, has a somewhat more detailed description for the foot controller jacks as "FC7 assignable inputs".

So I think that affirms that one could create the equivalent of a tri-pedal setup, and some tri-pedals might work if they use Yamaha polarity (or you have a converter cable) and they don't combine any of the pedals into a single jack.

Back to the gig bags again: does it look like Yamaha sourced these from high-end maker Mono Bags?

Gig bags to me look nearly identical to Nord. Different color and different handle perhaps, but the form factor, wheels, etc. look nearly identical.

Interesting. I haven't owned Nord since my NL3 was stolen in late 2006, and that one was just a thin vinyl wrapper without wheels. I had only seen that textured approach so far from Mono, but Nord might outsource to them also.

I had not noticed the texture look to the Yamaha cases on first glance so the fabric appears different than Nord. But the dimensions, the lining, the placement of wheels and little nubs for standing it up are so very close to what Nord offers for the 76 and 88 keyboards. The smaller ones 73 and below are less robust from Nord, probably like what you had on your NL3.

The more I look over the more detailed specs and higher resolution pictures in what Busch linked, the more I see influences from just about everything out there, which was NOT the case with previous CP-series or P-series digital pianos from Yamaha.

For instance, the thicker throw-switches are like what Korg uses a lot now, as is the semi-rounded overall enclosure shape. Some of the dials and other layouts characteristics are reminiscent of the GEM ProMega as well as Nord products.

It's very clear that Yamaha did WAY more deep focus group research on this than previous models. Obviously, competition is good. There wasn't as much of that when the earlier series came out over the past two decades.

This would hit my hot button harder if they didn't drop the ball on organs again. If this had the Reface tech along with a clonewheel w/ Drawbars...man.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

Oh wow, I didn't see the "4-zone MIDI controller" spec elsewhere, until reading the "what's new" snippet above. I'm pretty sure that's a step up from what most digital pianos (vs. DAW's like a MONTAGE) offer.

Yamaha have the hours invested. Their mid to top tier boards and even some of the lowest ones make excellent controllers. I havent sold my S90ES for this reason. Its great at home and out for the occasional performance where I need something special. The Motif set the standard.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Kraft had too much bass in that recording for whatever reason, that's all...the EP's don't sound like that....their organs.. well looks like they are still organ 'challenged' ... no surprise but you wish one day they would at least make an attempt to get it right for all the dough we put out for their instruments which are often superior in many ways except for that! A bit sad in a way . . . especially going up against Nord, Kurzweil and Korg who all have superior Hammond emulations of theirs in a world begging for 1 board integration.. but I'm digging their new axes

from what I've seen/heard so far regardless . . .

Copied my post from the 'CP4 gone?' thread . . .

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122