Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2968986 - 01/15/19 07:24 AM Afterglow
Dave Bryce Administrator Offline
KCFFL Champ '14,'16,'18
10k Club

Loc: Thousand Oaks,CA,UNITED STATES
Okay, I took a crack at this recently, but did not love the results...so I kept at it...

I wanted to do a version of Afterglow that was right in between the Wind & Wuthering and Seconds Out version - more fidelity than the live track, but better energy than the studio track.
I think I managed to get much closer this time - I'm very pleased with this mix. boing

Thanks to Mark McCrite's killer vocals and spot-on electric guitar, Matt Bissonette's amazing bass tracks...and, of course, John Ferraro nailing the drums to the wall, including the double fills during the outro. What an awesome band!

Afterglow

dB

rockit ==> David Bryce Music Funky Young Monks <==rawk

Professional affiliations: Cloud Microphones Crumar elysia Reverb Foundry Roswell Pro Audio

KC Island
#2968988 - 01/15/19 07:37 AM Re: Afterglow [Re: Dave Bryce]
davedoerfler Offline
KCFF League Champion 2017
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: the swamp
you are starting to get pretty good at this. smile

Really, this sounds amazing. twothumbs
Moe

#2968997 - 01/15/19 08:09 AM Re: Afterglow [Re: davedoerfler]
Losendoskeys Online   content
Platinum Member

Loc: West Sussex, UK
Hi Dave

Nice work.
For me, I can't properly hear the organ, too far back in the mix.
I'd also like to hear the BVs.
We do it somewhere in the middle too and the guitar is less present.
Here's our live version:

R
Alan

#2969001 - 01/15/19 08:36 AM Re: Afterglow [Re: Losendoskeys]
KCFFL Champ '14,'16,'18
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Losendoskeys

What are you listening on?

The sweep of the phaser made it tricky to place that (I spent some time trying to get that part of the sound right); plus, I added in another string pad-like sound from the V-Synth that blends with the organ to make what I think is a bigger (wider?) overall tone with a touch of subtle motion.

You did make me wonder whether I could fix it a bit more, though....so now the organ should be a touch more audible (peeled the wet mix of the Mu-tron back a little) and the guitar is down a tick.

Better now for sure - thanks! cool

Same link.

Quote:

Didn't go there. I wanted it to sound more like a live take. If we had gotten started doing BVs, we'd have probably had to dabble with the Phil-o-tron thing. eek

Quote:

Cool. I love the work you guys do, of course!

I dig emphasizing the guitar a bit. makes the tune beat just a bit stronger, IMO. I dipped that sucker in the Bricasti M7 Tanglewood program to emphasize more of that bell-like effect.

Thanks for the feedback, Alan! wave

dB

Professional affiliations: Cloud Microphones Crumar elysia Reverb Foundry Roswell Pro Audio

#2969059 - 01/15/19 11:30 AM Re: Afterglow [Re: Dave Bryce]
davedoerfler Offline
KCFF League Champion 2017
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: the swamp
Originally Posted By: Dave Bryce
The sweep of the phaser made it tricky to place that (I spent some time trying to get that part of the sound right); plus, I added in another string pad-like sound from the V-Synth that blends with the organ to make what I think is a bigger (wider?) overall tone with a touch of subtle motion.

Ah, that explains (some of) it. I thought the phaser was very cool.
Moe

#2969069 - 01/15/19 11:44 AM Re: Afterglow [Re: davedoerfler]
KCFFL Champ '14,'16,'18
10k Club

Originally Posted By: davedoerfler

Ah, that explains (some of) it. I thought the phaser was very cool.

Yeah, it is! SoundToys Phase Mistress. Modified Mu-tron Bi-Phase program with a deep, slow fairly resonant sweep.

dB

#2969097 - 01/15/19 12:29 PM Re: Afterglow [Re: Dave Bryce]
Dr88s Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Montreal, Canada
Love it, Dave. Great work!

#2969181 - 01/15/19 07:30 PM Re: Afterglow [Re: Dr88s]
Al Quinn Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Center Moriches, NY
Very nice! I love that song

#2969239 - 01/16/19 05:41 AM Re: Afterglow [Re: Dave Bryce]
Losendoskeys Online   content
Platinum Member

Loc: West Sussex, UK

What are you listening on?

You did make me wonder whether I could fix it a bit more, though....so now the organ should be a touch more audible (peeled the wet mix of the Mu-tron back a little) and the guitar is down a tick.

Better now for sure - thanks! cool

Same link.

Quote:

Didn't go there. I wanted it to sound more like a live take. If we had gotten started doing BVs, we'd have probably had to dabble with the Phil-o-tron thing. eek

Quote:

Cool. I love the work you guys do, of course!

I dig emphasizing the guitar a bit. makes the tune beat just a bit stronger, IMO. I dipped that sucker in the Bricasti M7 Tanglewood program to emphasize more of that bell-like effect.

Thanks for the feedback, Alan! wave

dB

Hi Dave

Thats better, nice fix.
My favourite bit of the track is the held chord right at the start.
It massively emphasises the lovely swirly nature of the Hammond with MXR100 phaser.
Although Banks used this to eliminate the Leslie cabs, I've found leaving the Vent switch on (slow of course - Banks never used fast) with the MXR brings out the best of both pedals.

I've also toyed with the idea of using a Wavox voice patch instead of the Tron 8 Voice Choir, as it is closer to the original album, but the band and our fans voted me down.........so we stick with the Tron 8 Voice Choir they used live.

Edited by Losendoskeys (01/16/19 05:42 AM)

#2969260 - 01/16/19 07:16 AM Re: Afterglow [Re: Losendoskeys]
KCFFL Champ '14,'16,'18
10k Club

My favourite bit of the track is the held chord right at the start.
It massively emphasises the lovely swirly nature of the Hammond with MXR100 phaser.

I had originally planned about fading that chord in (if not starting with the last few bars of Quiet Earth, a la Thre Sides Live) but starting from the sweep up without the drum fill sounded better to me - I love that sound wth the phaser in it - almost sounds like something being unwrapped...and was more like the beginning of the Seconds Out version I was after (just starting on the one didn't work for me).

Quote:
Although Banks used this to eliminate the Leslie cabs, I've found leaving the Vent switch on (slow of course - Banks never used fast) with the MXR brings out the best of both pedals.

When I tracked the A100, I mic'd the Leslie 145 in stereo and left it on slow. I also mic'd the A100's speakers in mono. Gettting the phaser to beat with the Leslie was fun to mess with....

Quote:
I've also toyed with the idea of using a Wavox voice patch instead of the Tron 8 Voice Choir, as it is closer to the original album, but the band and our fans voted me down.........so we stick with the Tron 8 Voice Choir they used live.

Markus' 4000D did the job so nicely. I love having a hardware device that says MELLOTRON on it (with a logo that lights up!), even if it is a rackmount. smile

dB