Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland VR 700 EDITOR (Win, Mac, Linux) RELEASE

So, sweet aficionados of the good old V-Combo 700,

if you think it might be time to kick your outdated VR700 and buy some new cool stuff - think twice ...

because - here's what you can do with the VR700 EDITOR what you weren't able to do with the VR700 before:

* access the VR700 sounds and parameters in an easy way instead of cruel menu diving and number counting in the WDOAT (worst display of all times)

* enjoy the Hammond style organ with 2 drawbar sets and (customizable) presets

* use the lower keys of the VR700 to switch the organ presets like the big Hammonds

* add additional effects to ensemble sounds like filter, ADR envelope, virbrato, special FX etc

* freely assign a (normally hard wired) MFX=EFFECT out of 256 available to any ensemble sound and change multiple MFX parameters (like Roland VR760)

* change the rhythm drum kit and customize the drum sound

* use the proprietary EDITOR registration instead of the VR-Favorites with 2048 registrations, custom naming, saving of additional EFX

(envelope, filter, extended rhythm controls, vibrato settings, foot switch, etc)

* save your customized sounds (e.g. your modified pianos, enhanced strings etc) to the EDITOR single sound register

* switch the VR-Favorites from the EDITOR

* vice versa switch the EDITOR registrations from the VR700 using the favorite-buttons and/or the control foot pedal (limited to reg. 1-64)

* switch the 2048 EDITOR registrations by external software or hardware controller

* use the quick access footswitch configurator for live play

* use the synthesizer work mode to customize ensemble sounds using the drawbars and GAIN+REVERB knobs as 'faders' for filters and envelope

* use the enhanced EQUALIZER

* reorder the favorites in your Favorite backup ("UPG") files with the 'UPG EDITOR'

* play with the builtin sequencer (Windows only) and add programs to the external program launcher

Project website:

http://ctrlr.org/roland-vr700-v-combo-editor

you can download the

- EDITOR panel plugin for CTRLR-platform

- a standlone EDITOR EXE for MS Windows

- an interactive document (open zip-file) for your web browser

those who installed the BETA version: you MUST delete the old registration file (V-Combo700.vreg) in your 'Documents'/CTRLR folder (see interactive doc for details)

Some views of the EDITOR (there is more...)

The main panels:

http://ctrlr.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/VCombo700_kbd.png

the organ with 2 drawbarset and presets:

http://ctrlr.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/VCombo700_org2.png

the 'synthesizer': 256 'free' MFX + parameters, filters and envelopes:

http://ctrlr.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/VCombo700_syn.png

• 3 years later...

Hello,

new (stable) 'official beta' release of VR700 CTRLR EDITOR:

- Editor V-SYNTH section with hacked 'hidden Cosm MFX'  (78 'identified' and highly customisable Cosm MFX saved with 'Favorites').

examples for MFX are fully customisable 'Sympathetic Resonance' for Grand Pno (including 'lid angle', 'resonance filters', 3-band semi-parametric EQ etc), per-patch EQ. numberless  Delay/Phaser/Flanger FX, Rotary-Sims, Amp-Sims (N-stack, Jazz Chorus etc), LoFi/Telephone/Turntable FX etc etc etc.
- Editor V-SYNTH allows to 'detune' two identical layered sounds (like in multi-oscillator subtractive synthesis) for generating 'fat synth sounds'

or 'octave-shift' of layered sounds (like two brass patches) for 'fat' sounds. 

- graphic redesings
- many (really many) bugfixes

(todos for 1..03 'full release': update the intergrated web-usermanual, redesign of syx-im/export and 'Editor registrations')

Download from here:

https://v-combo.webspace.rocks/roland-vr700-v-combo-editor

ec700_vsynth.jpg

• Like 1

Impressive!  I kind of miss my old VR700, some things about it at least.  Notably the keybed.

Hilariously, that is the gigged keyboard on which I used  the fewest patches.  I had two, and one was for Blue Collar Man because that was a totally different organ sound than my normal one.  Every other song I used one organ patch and dialed in the ensemble sounds on the fly when needed!  It was not my main keyboard to be clear, I had a workstation paired with it.

key action is a master piece of mechanical design - one of the best ever build.  Real (big) drawbars also add to 'man-machine-interaction'.
Must say: the 'freed' MFX and the cability to add 'same category sounds' (e.g. two brass patches - with tuned MFX) result into big sounds in a band mix (imho 700 has, compared to new VRs, less refined waveforms but the much punchier DACs). 
Weight is a big handicap - it weights as much as the sum of VR09 + (hammer action) digital piano :sick:
Personally I also hate the 'puralistic number scheme' of (song) Favorites without the cababilty to give them  proper names - resulting into outdated 'paper sheet notation' and numberless  accidential overwrites of Favorite x-y numbers ....

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/26/2022 at 6:34 PM, franky64 said:

Hello,

new (stable) 'official beta' release of VR700 CTRLR EDITOR:

- Editor V-SYNTH section with hacked 'hidden Cosm MFX'  (78 'identified' and highly customisable Cosm MFX saved with 'Favorites').

examples for MFX are fully customisable 'Sympathetic Resonance' for Grand Pno (including 'lid angle', 'resonance filters', 3-band semi-parametric EQ etc), per-patch EQ. numberless  Delay/Phaser/Flanger FX, Rotary-Sims, Amp-Sims (N-stack, Jazz Chorus etc), LoFi/Telephone/Turntable FX etc etc etc.
- Editor V-SYNTH allows to 'detune' two identical layered sounds (like in multi-oscillator subtractive synthesis) for generating 'fat synth sounds'

or 'octave-shift' of layered sounds (like two brass patches) for 'fat' sounds. 

- graphic redesings
- many (really many) bugfixes

(todos for 1..03 'full release': update the intergrated web-usermanual, redesign of syx-im/export and 'Editor registrations')

Download from here:

ec700_vsynth.jpg

Hi - v interested in the editor but get a warning from Avast that the https://v-combo.webspace.rocks/roland-vr700-v-combo-editor site is 'infected'..?? Any advice please? Thanks

Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 20.09.17.png

• 3 months later...

Hi,

VR700 Editor v1.01.3 "beta4" release: there was a 'heavy' bug in previous beta releases that lead to 'ghost changes' on VR700.

beta4 fixes the bug and can be downloaded following https://v-combo.webspace.rocks/roland-vr700-v-combo-editor

For those who got 'security warnings': the webhoster is using 'modern' certificates ("Let's Encrypt").
These seem to occasionally cause problems with outdated Macs and hysterical 'antivirus' programs.
The site is neither infected nor 'dangerous'  - believe it or not, that's your personal problem (in fact the site is the accumulated book of wisdom for Roland V-Combo 09/730 ;) )

Those who cannot fix their security issues can download the editor directly from the google drive (it includes also a pdf 'screen dump' of the website showing installation instructions):
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/1KbBqdkDW8eYyAESh-qqkZmEN35g1SXwr

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

VR700 CTRLR EDITOR : release 1.01.4

1.01.4 is the (long awaited)  'stabilised' version of former development versions 1.01.3 'beta'

It runs on Windows (XP - W11), OSX and Linux (not iPads!)

It offers a 'usable' UI, EDITOR FAVORITES, V-SYNTH for creating sounds, programming of 'hacked' VR700 COSM-MFX, 'live playing aids' like 'Hammond Preset keys', 'Live Synth Mode' (using VR pots for envelope or filter sweeps) , access to 'hidden' VR options for organ, EQ, reverb types etc

Please read the inbuild 'README', Quick Help and 'Browser Tutorial'. Set EDITOR from 'EXPERT' to 'NOVICE' mode and read the context related (?) button popups

Official Editor page:

Direct download ('experts' and lads with hysteric AntiVirus that prevents acces to v-combo website) :

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/1KbBqdkDW8eYyAESh-qqkZmEN35g1SXwr

P.S. We added a pack of 'samples' that can be loaded into VR via EDITOR FAVORTES  syx-import - see download link ...

ce700_vstg.thumb.gif.03ad6238a16b5eaaa52b7cee3b100611.gifce700_vsyn1.thumb.gif.eba1da4e38eacabea5001ad2dbab48e0.gif

It’s great that this is a passion project for you.  I have a VR700 that has come in handy in a pinch many times. When I have some dedicated  time I’d like to give tweaking it with the editor and dialing in some useful patches a try.  Like the other VRs that came before it and after - it simply covers a lot of bases.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

31 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

It’s great that this is a passion project for you.  I have a VR700 that has come in handy in a pinch many times. When I have some dedicated  time I’d like to give tweaking it with the editor and dialing in some useful patches a try.  Like the other VRs that came before it and after - it simply covers a lot of bases.  

note that (at least for me) the 'hidden Cosm MFX' is a game changer: one can add to any Ensemble sound pedal-controlled wah, amp-types like 'JC 120' (or some guitar-hero blasters), the 'VR Rotary', customise the sympathetic resonance and EQ of Grands etc etc etc ...  and layer 2 identical (!) sounds and 'detune' them for fat, warm synth pads (just created the obligatory Jump patch - what a difference to VRs thin, digital  'factory' Jump patch ...)  ... and the whole MFX/layer/detune sh*t saves to onboard Favorites :)
the only constrain is VRs weight - something very lovely about VR09 ;)

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

VR700 CTRLR EDITOR 1.01.5 - major hotfix release

finally, the 'sporadic' muting of sounds when VR sounds are selected on editor (dropdowns) could be indentified and fixed.

Download and install is highly recommended

For download simply use the links given in previous posts

• Like 1