Music Player Network

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: The best double tier keyboard stand you've ever had! [Re: MoodyBluesKeys] #2968627 01/13/19 12:07 PM
CEB Offline
10k Club
10k Club
I use the K&M 18880 plus 2 sets of stackers for my 3 tier rig.

For only 2 tiers I use the M-1 Monolith plus a set of tiers. It's the most 'stage' friendly stand available if it fits you. It has several unique advantages. But it has some disadvantages that are more than worth the price of admission for me. If any one really cares ask. Otherwise typing on my phone is a pain.

Last edited by CEB; 01/13/19 12:51 PM.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt
KC Island
Re: The best double tier keyboard stand you've ever had! [Re: davedoerfler] #2968632 01/13/19 12:38 PM
Motif88 Offline
Agreed, my invisible stand was the best, quick, easy setup and sturdy. It held my KX-88 and D50 in the 80ís

Using: RD-2000, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Keyscape, Komplete 10, Garritan CFX Lite, Arturia V, u-he Diva, OP-X

Sold: Kronos 88,Yamaha:Motif XS8,Motif ES8,Motif 8,KX88,Oberheim:Modular 8 Voice,OBXa,OB8
Re: The best double tier keyboard stand you've ever had! [Re: CEB] #2968634 01/13/19 01:12 PM
H
hardware Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
H
Originally Posted By: CEB

For only 2 tiers I use the M-1 Monolith plus a set of tiers. It's the most 'stage' friendly stand available if it fits you. It has several unique advantages. But it has some disadvantages that are more than worth the price of admission for me. If any one really cares ask. Otherwise typing on my phone is a pain.

Your avatar is Catherine Bell, the tomboy-ish gal from JAG.
Her and Stallone co own a Tower in Vegas attached to Planet Hollywood.
We got a call to design the stage and perform on it outside prior to them showing up to a party/grand opening.
I was shocked at what a Fox she was. Tight jeans and a T Shirt, kids hanging on her, etc.
Made me start watching JAG after that and I hate TV Series.
She was dancing with friends to ZZ Top and Foghat playing air guitar, a sign my samples were working...
Looks great in pictures but standing a few feet from her is breath taking..

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic
Re: The best double tier keyboard stand you've ever had! [Re: hardware] #2968648 01/13/19 02:43 PM
T
tonybanksfan Offline
T
Originally Posted By: hardware
Standtastic 1/2 & 3 Tiers.
Great weapons after being bagged too.

Without a doubt, one of the best ever!

Kurzweil PC3K8/ GSI Gemini Desktop/ CPS SSV3/ GK MB112
Re: The best double tier keyboard stand you've ever had! [Re: tonybanksfan] #2968726 01/14/19 03:02 AM
Ian Benhamou Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Quick Lok Monolith M-92 is what I currently use, but Im no longer satisfied with that 2nd tier. Too high, and can't get the right angle. Whats worse, is theres no way of having it flat (parallel to the ground).

I'm currently looking at other options, but can't seem to find any. I still have my Standtastic, ut it takes up way too much space on stage, and the front legs are easily kicked out of position.

Ian Benhamou
Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

The Musical Box
Re: The best double tier keyboard stand you've ever had! [Re: Ian Benhamou] #2968782 01/14/19 01:21 PM
T
The Real MC Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
T
Studio - Standtastic
Stage - K&M 18950

Own the Invisible stand, don't like it for either stage or studio. It is now the WIP (work in progress) shelf for my workbench.

Tubular stands have dumped one too many keyboards due to the clamps not being tight enough, and if you overtighten them they crack. The sole Ultimate tubular stand is configured as a table support for the MIDIBoard in my studio, and the vertical tubes hold my studio monitors.

Re: The best double tier keyboard stand you've ever had! [Re: MoodyBluesKeys] #2968788 01/14/19 01:37 PM
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
It's hard for me to say which was/is best, as I don't use a stand unless it works, and I like the looks smile It also depends if a gig is sitting or standing.

So I classify them as to what have been my favorite.

Standing:
1. My AX-90 Missile Launcher. It always looks good on stage, and stage aesthetics are part of our overall show. It is solid, and like other Ultimate Support gear I've been purchasing since 1987, it works with no issues

2. The stand I made out of a lighting truss. It's unique, and I get bored wink
Not shown is the heavy steel base plate. This stand does not move at all. The stand itself is light. It's the steel anchor plate that is heavy...and that's a good thing. This does not get used on "throw and go" gig with quick changeover time

Finally, for most sitting gigs, I use my Onstage Stands two tier Z (to which I sometimes add a 3rd tier...just because)

David
Gig Rig: Casio PX-S3000 | Arturia Keylab 61 | Mac Mini |

Re: The best double tier keyboard stand you've ever had! [Re: EscapeRocks] #2968790 01/14/19 01:45 PM
eric Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I've been doing a one keyboard rig now for a number of years, but when gigging with two keyboards, I really love Invisible stands. They have gotten their mention here and in plenty of older threads. Sometimes there are polarizing views on Invisible stands, I think primarily as they have not been available for sale in years (like a decade plus) so it feels a little weird to be promoting them when they're hard to obtain. On that note, I do have 3-4 Invisible stands that don't get as much use as they should. Might be thinking about letting one or two go.

Re: The best double tier keyboard stand you've ever had! [Re: EscapeRocks] #2968823 01/14/19 03:32 PM
S
Sam CA Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted By: EscapeRocks
...Finally, for most sitting gigs, I use my Onstage Stands two tier Z (to which I sometimes add a 3rd tier...just because)

Man this On stage stand reminded me of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0EEdbSRfxo

How secure is it if you were to put a relatively heavy keyboard on the second tier?

Last edited by Sam CA; 01/14/19 03:34 PM.
Re: The best double tier keyboard stand you've ever had! [Re: Sam CA] #2968828 01/14/19 03:41 PM
J. Dead Online Content
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club
Online Content
10k Club
I still keep coming back to my original Apex stand. I've had A-Frame, Deltex, Apex, X, V, and Standtastic. Each has pros and cons but the Apex just seems to work best for me.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.
Re: The best double tier keyboard stand you've ever had! [Re: MoodyBluesKeys] #2968834 01/14/19 04:03 PM
M
MuzikTeechur Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
M
As noted, there are MANY aspects to what makes a good keyboard stand, let alone the "best" keyboard stand. I should know: I've owned just about every one made. I have Apexes, A-Frames, Z's, Monoliths, and the ubiquitous X-stand.
To each his own, but all of these are important factors:
1) Ergonomics: does it put your keyboard
a) WHERE you want it
b) At the HEIGHT you want it
c) At the ANGLE you want it
and if there's a 2nd keyboard, does it place THAT keyboard where/how high/angle you want it, and in relation to the other keyboard?
2) How fiddly is it to set up? Are there a lot of pieces to lose? Does it take a lot of time to set up and take down?
3) How many trips to the car/bus/van/trailer/truck does it take?
4) How much room on the stage does it take up?
5) How much room in the car/bus/van/truck/trailer does it take up?
6) Is there room for your pedals?
7) Can you add stuff to it? i.e. Mic stand/holder, Laptop/Tablet holder, module holder, beer holder...?
8) How heavy is it?

Everyone's situation is unique, so there is just no way to tell what is the "best", but rather: "What is the best for your situation?" ...and it's usually a compromise.

I sprung for a Quik-Loc M-91 Monolith with 2nd tier. Hands down the best for my situation.. BUT: It's heavy, It likes to come unfolded and smack you in the shin while carrying, and it takes a lot of room in the trunk.
So.. I've gone back, AGAIN, to my Quik-Loc Double X Stand, which has been bullet-proof through about 15 years of heavy gigging.

Yes: the dreaded X-Stand! Unfortunately it's about $50 more expensive now than when I bought it.

Quik Loc double X stand

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, Music History, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

Re: The best double tier keyboard stand you've ever had! [Re: Ian Benhamou] #2968835 01/14/19 04:24 PM
S
stillearning Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
S
Originally Posted By: Ian Benhamou
Quick Lok Monolith M-92 is what I currently use, but Im no longer satisfied with that 2nd tier. Too high, and can't get the right angle. Whats worse, is theres no way of having it flat (parallel to the ground).

I'm currently looking at other options, but can't seem to find any. I still have my Standtastic, ut it takes up way too much space on stage, and the front legs are easily kicked out of position.

In my multi-board prog years (4, sometimes 5 boards) I also used the Monolith. Itís easy to hacksaw some metal from the second tier to lower it to your liking, and level it. I even bought a Ďsecondí second tier and welded it on for a third tier. The stand is easily the sturdiest I ever used, even had an 88 weighted on the lower two tiers and a 76 semi on top. Iíll try to dig up a plc from those days.

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Re: The best double tier keyboard stand you've ever had! [Re: stillearning] #2968843 01/14/19 05:12 PM
Marzzz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I have a Quiklok Z stand which is very solid, but I ended up drilling holes in the upper tier uprights to get the second tier closer, and even then it really isn't close enough. I will definitely check out the OnStage stands for my studio.

Re: The best double tier keyboard stand you've ever had! [Re: stillearning] #2968845 01/14/19 05:15 PM
S
stillearning Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
S
This was my Monolith 3 tier from waaay back. I only haul 1 board anymore. 64 years old!

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Re: The best double tier keyboard stand you've ever had! [Re: J. Dead] #2968874 01/14/19 06:48 PM
S
stoken6 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
S
Originally Posted By: J. Dan
I still keep coming back to my original Apex stand.

Me too. I like the column format, and the convenience of the arms and legs collapsing into the column, and the carry handle, and ...

No room for pedals though. The trouble is, any stand that solves that problem has some of its own. I have velcro on the top of the column on which I mount my phone (running Set List Maker/BandHelper), and an X or Z design doesn't make that easy.

I wish the Apex had legs that rise from the floor, rather than parallel with it.
- Look at this Stay stand CLONK - unfortunately only rated at 10kg per tier.
- Spider Pro doesn't collapse the arms as neatly, and no carry handle.
- Quiklok SL930? Not clear how it collapses, plus some questionable reviews...

I think I'll have to stick to making my custom "cutout" pedalboards for the Apex. It's the least worst option.

Cheers, Mike.

AX48.PM351.FC7.VFP2
One or two keyboards.
Re: The best double tier keyboard stand you've ever had! [Re: stoken6] #2968882 01/14/19 08:01 PM
EricBarker Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
I've been fairly happy with my K&M Spider, however the mic mount isn't very good, I gotta pay to order their add-on mic mount. I kinda hate how K&M nickel & dime every little thing, I feel like the stand should come with the gig bag and that if they put any mic mount on it at all, they should have gone with the better one (instead of including a crappy one).

One thing I do miss, though, it with my Z stand, the mic boom is off to the side, so I could swing it in and out easily. With a column stand and the boom being in the center, I can't push it out quickly. As I play trumpet and sing, I like to be able to push it away. Unless I rigged up something akin to a lamp arm boom, there's just no way to do that with a column, though.

Not sure how I could stand an APEX stand, the saving grace with the spider is it gets the legs off the floor, I would be stepping on the APEX struts all the time, and pedal placement would be hard.

PS: If you think the Apex looks like a missile launcher, you're gonna laugh your butt of if you see a Spider folded up. It's a missile, looks like it has fins and everything! I was ROFL when I first unpacked it!

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio."

MacBook Pro running MainStage and various plugins (NI and other)
Arturia Keylab88, Mojo61, Seaboard Rise49, Vortex Keytar (RIP), Trumpet
Re: The best double tier keyboard stand you've ever had! [Re: EricBarker] #2968884 01/14/19 08:11 PM
ChiefDanG Offline
OT - I have some old USS tubes/collars/feet that I fashioned into a headboard for my bed. Prolly 30 years it's been the last thing I see before I turn out my light.

"Don't get drunk on the job, and don't play cards afterwards." - Walter Goerg
Re: The best double tier keyboard stand you've ever had! [Re: ChiefDanG] #2968907 01/14/19 11:18 PM
J. Dead Online Content
10k Club
Online Content
10k Club
Originally Posted By: ChiefDanG
OT - I have some old USS tubes/collars/feet that I fashioned into a headboard for my bed. Prolly 30 years it's been the last thing I see before I turn out my light.

Is it a water bed?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.
Re: The best double tier keyboard stand you've ever had! [Re: J. Dead] #2968973 01/15/19 10:51 AM
Marzzz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Is it a water bed?
Do they still make those things?

Re: The best double tier keyboard stand you've ever had! [Re: Marzzz] #2968976 01/15/19 11:06 AM
W
wineandkeyz Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
W
And I still chug along with my 15-year-old Quik-Lok QL-746 X-stands, with QLX-2 (no longer available) and QLX-3 add-on tiers.

LIVE: Yamaha S70XS; Roland Jupiter-80; Nord Electro 6D-61; IEMs, SSV3 or Traynor K4
HOME: Yamaha S90ES; Hammond XK3C & Vent; Roland Fantom X7; DSI Prophet Rev2-16
QUIK-LOK X STANDS!
Re: The best double tier keyboard stand you've ever had! [Re: J. Dead] #2968982 01/15/19 11:44 AM
ChiefDanG Offline
Originally Posted By: ChiefDanG

Is it a water bed?

No. It's a 48" crossbar w/long arms holding a shelf. I have a clock, lamp, and CD player on it. A short bar on one side holds some baseball caps. One on the other side holds my headphones.

"Don't get drunk on the job, and don't play cards afterwards." - Walter Goerg
Re: The best double tier keyboard stand you've ever had! [Re: EricBarker] #2968989 01/15/19 12:38 PM
S
Stokely Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
S
Originally Posted By: EricBarker
I've been fairly happy with my K&M Spider, however the mic mount isn't very good, I gotta pay to order their add-on mic mount. I kinda hate how K&M nickel & dime every little thing, I feel like the stand should come with the gig bag and that if they put any mic mount on it at all, they should have gone with the better one (instead of including a crappy one).

One thing I do miss, though, it with my Z stand, the mic boom is off to the side, so I could swing it in and out easily. With a column stand and the boom being in the center, I can't push it out quickly. As I play trumpet and sing, I like to be able to push it away. Unless I rigged up something akin to a lamp arm boom, there's just no way to do that with a column, though.

Not sure how I could stand an APEX stand, the saving grace with the spider is it gets the legs off the floor, I would be stepping on the APEX struts all the time, and pedal placement would be hard.

PS: If you think the Apex looks like a missile launcher, you're gonna laugh your butt of if you see a Spider folded up. It's a missile, looks like it has fins and everything! I was ROFL when I first unpacked it!

I have the silver Spider Pro (100 bucks cheaper than the black for whatever reason) and to me it looks like one of those giant guns from Men in Black.

The mic adapter is the one thing I don't like about this stand. I did replace the threaded bit with a metal one, that was an improvement. I'd like it if it didn't have the following issue:

The problem is that when I unscrew the boom, it takes the threaded adapter off with it--and other than one rubber washer, that is the only thing keeping the nut that remains on the stand from falling into the stand. No matter if I try to only loosely put my boom on, it takes it off. My lame workaround was to tape the underside of the top of the stand so the nut can't fall down. If it ever does you will have to unscrew 5 LONG screws and turn the thing upside down. I had to do this before a gig when two keyboards were already on the stand, argghhhh....

My boom stripped eventually and I just bring a mic stand. Problem there is that it doesn't fit in my gear bag, so it's always a candidate to be left behind....

Last edited by Stokely; 01/15/19 12:42 PM.
Re: The best double tier keyboard stand you've ever had! [Re: Stokely] #2968992 01/15/19 12:51 PM
Delaware Dave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Surely not the best as set by the standards on this forum but I have a Quik-Lok double tier stand with top tier adjustable height and tilt, has served me well for a long time ....

clonk

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil PC3; GEM Equinox; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini Desktop Module; http://www.dyinbreedband.com www.facebook.com/acoustaxx/
Re: The best double tier keyboard stand you've ever had! [Re: Delaware Dave] #2969049 01/15/19 03:40 PM
richforman Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Same here! as far as, love my Spider Pro except for the mic stand attachment, always gave trouble. In the end I found it easier just to bring a separate Hercules tripod boom mic stand, they fit anywhere without costing much real estate on stage, the "clutch" mechanism makes operation a snap, and it is minimal additional gear to carry. I have never missed the old Apex stands. Sounds like maybe they've improved to match the SP as far as folding the arms up into the column. Back in the day when I had them, you had to detach them and put them inside the column through the lid on top, which would inevitably break off at some point.

Last edited by richforman; 01/15/19 03:41 PM.

Rich Forman
Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,
Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

Re: The best double tier keyboard stand you've ever had! [Re: Delaware Dave] #2969067 01/15/19 04:36 PM
Z
zukskywalker Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
Z
Originally Posted By: Delaware Dave
Surely not the best as set by the standards on this forum but I have a Quik-Lok double tier stand with top tier adjustable height and tilt, has served me well for a long time ....

clonk

I was just given this exact model Quik-Lok and it's beefier and heavier than any X-stand I've ever seen(and I've had a few). FWIW, seems military grade and not likely prone to..."Death of an X-stand". I adjust to extremes so I also appreciate the additional adjustment points.

(BTW: That was a pretty horrific failure video earlier in this thread.)

Last edited by zukskywalker; 01/15/19 04:37 PM.
Re: The best double tier keyboard stand you've ever had! [Re: zukskywalker] #2969075 01/15/19 04:57 PM
S
Sam CA Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted By: zukskywalker
(BTW: That was a pretty horrific failure video earlier in this thread.)

Horrific is right! It's painful to watch.

Last edited by Sam CA; 01/15/19 04:58 PM.
Re: The best double tier keyboard stand you've ever had! [Re: zukskywalker] #2969077 01/15/19 05:03 PM
A
area51recording Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
A
I'm in a bit of a quandary over which way to go for a double stand. Had an X fail, so no more of those. My Standtastic is good but it does take up a rather large footprint on stage,as others have mentioned, and it has an annoying habit of losing parts in transport (I probably should have sprung for a bag). Sucks to get to the gig and have to rummage around the backseat of the car in the rain for one of those pins or a random wing nut that has fallen off...I sit most of the time, and I think for that one of those column stands would look silly. I also would like something that allows me to get the 2 boards really close together, one of the features that I like about the Standtastic....

Re: The best double tier keyboard stand you've ever had! [Re: CEB] #2969188 01/16/19 01:16 AM
ajstan Offline
Originally Posted By: CEB

I just bought a K&M 18880 to use at standing height (10th set of holes) with my Nord Stage 3 88 (I have used the Nord legs and have played sitting to-date) and would appreciate additional info/recommendations on the following:

- I didnít receive the horizontal support bar in the package (I got a really nice price adjustment). Is that the reason there is significant horizontal movement when playing, or is it typical for this stand regardless of the support bar being used? The accordion brace is fully tightened. I have read posts from multiple users that donít use the support bar and they say that their stand is solid, so I donít know if Iím doing something wrong.

- Is it OK to use the stand if the accordion brace is not fully extended or does it compromise stability? When fully extended, the support bars match up with the rubber feet of my NS3 so I have to shift my keyboard to be uneven on the stand. Iíd rather have it centered.

- I love the light weight and collapsibility, but unless I can get it to feel more stable, Iím probably going to use the Roland KS-20X stand I got in a package promo with my Juno DS61 to try a standing gig. My ultimate goal would be to get a set of stackers to add a tier to the 18880 for the DS61.

- The other option would be to sell the 18880 and get one of the other recommended stands noted. CEB, Iíd be interested in hearing the disadvantages of the Monolith if you donít mind.

Thanks in-advance for any replies.

Nord Stage 3 HA88, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30, Rolls PM55P, K&M 18880 + 18881, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII, Zoom Q2n-4K
Re: The best double tier keyboard stand you've ever had! [Re: ajstan] #2969199 01/16/19 02:12 AM
MoodyBluesKeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Nice thing is that you can likely fabricate the brace by going somewhere like Lowes or Home Depot and getting aluminum bar stock, drilling a hole on one end for attachment, then adjusting out to the desired amount and either drill a hole or drill then file out so it can "drop" into place. The bar that ships with the unit is about 4 to 6 inches longer than I have the stand setup when using the one tier by itself, so it sticks out a little when the stand is collapsed for carrying. When using both tiers, it is shorter than the legs and other parts of the stand. Something like 1/8" by 1/2 to 3/4" stock will be similar to the original.

It does add considerably to the stability. I've used mine both ways, but normally sit, so the stand is nowhere near as high.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's
HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2
"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."
Jim
Re: The best double tier keyboard stand you've ever had! [Re: MoodyBluesKeys] #2969249 01/16/19 11:28 AM
ajstan Offline
Thanks MBK! Good to know that I donít have to extend the accordion brace fully so it can fit my NS3. Itís probably worth it to try fabricating my own stabilizer bar (I donít see it as a parts option) to fit the width I need. Hopefully I can get rid of most of the side-to-side sway at standing height, to eventually be able to add a second tier.

Nord Stage 3 HA88, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30, Rolls PM55P, K&M 18880 + 18881, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII, Zoom Q2n-4K
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner