Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2968535 - 01/12/19 02:03 PM Lowell George, just y'know, sayin'
d / halfnote Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...

GP Island
#2969234 - 01/16/19 04:50 AM Re: Lowell George, just y'know, sayin' [Re: d / halfnote]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
If we're gonna go on about forgotten and/or sadly overlooked Country Rock bands, you gotta mention THESE guys!

https://youtu.be/cZTzHXSmRfk

https://youtu.be/vUeXW7LeAig

Whitefang

#2969270 - 01/16/19 07:45 AM Re: Lowell George, just y'know, sayin' [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
I was more into Marshall Tucker and Charlie Daniels Band back in the early 70's for Country Rock and Southern Country. And Little Feet sounds very good to me! I should have got more into their music along with the Allman Brothers:

cool

#2969433 - 01/17/19 04:31 AM Re: Lowell George, just y'know, sayin' [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Well, how could you NOT love a plateful of.....

https://youtu.be/3z-GwdaKrn8

Whitefang

#2970002 - 01/19/19 10:33 AM Re: Lowell George, just y'know, sayin' [Re: whitefang]
d / halfnote Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Another failed thread to my, uh, credit, I see outlaud
(yes, that's spellerated both right & correct)

Country Rock ?
They rocked the country but you can't even hear style.
Lawdy, Lawdy & Lawdy's Lady
Not a comment on one of the best writers/players/producers of our recent time.
& a cat can't even spell Little FEAT but wansa honk abt Charlie Daniels... rolleyes

Make's me wanna say
but LG said it better even if he had JT pulling the face-time

SHUT UP & RIDE THE RIDE
& dig that slide !

How to play slide gtr in a diff language
as well as illustrate the art of Ry Cooder

A song slung for our MounkeyFounkin' times
stay tuned aft Mick Taylor plays the blues for LG's response & do-it duet [225 ~~~>]

Seems Easy But It Ain't Til It Is

Our time together
& to gather
meltz our way
like the sad melody
I
Play

#2970117 - 01/19/19 06:57 PM Re: Lowell George, just y'know, sayin' [Re: d / halfnote]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

@ d, Feet vs Feat really? You wanna throw a flag on that one and "a cat who wansa honk abt" Charlie Daniels in a Country Rock kinda thread? (which is BTW one of Little Feat's "style"/genres like it or not). You the biggest wordamizer on the forum wanna get down on a typo? Well have your fun with it, is all I can say...yes, I do appreciate Lowell George and his addition to the "style" but, he's not any butter than the ones on my toast...I also mentioned the Marshall Tucker Band who Lowell and Little Feat opened for at the Santa Monica, CA Civic Auditorium 1974...He also had a lot in common with his friend Bonnie Raitt (i.e. Fender slide aficionados) that you see singing back up sans guitar in one of your YT clips, reminds me of her backing up Roy Orbison in his black and white video performance...

Edited by Larryz (01/19/19 08:53 PM)

#2970162 - 01/20/19 05:19 AM Re: Lowell George, just y'know, sayin' [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

There were a lot of cats into that "style" or "genre"( if split hair is your thing wink ) 'cause if you WANNA split 'em finer, then ROCKABILLY could be technically considered "Country Rock". had Rock'n'Roll been commercially recognized at the time.

But AGAIN, if you're gonna mention "country-rock" (which I don't think WAS d's intent) then we gotta mention THESE cats too! wink
https://youtu.be/P7_3ak3OmkM

Whitefang

#2970188 - 01/20/19 08:01 AM Re: Lowell George, just y'know, sayin' [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: whitefang
If we're gonna go on about forgotten and/or sadly overlooked Country Rock bands, you gotta mention THESE guys!

https://youtu.be/cZTzHXSmRfk

https://youtu.be/vUeXW7LeAig

Whitefang

Fang, I think you mentioned Country Rock before I did LOL! I never know which way d is going. For me Rockabilly is rock and roll. Just a tag put on the genre to dis those hillbillies thinking they could play music...Country music and Rhythm and Blues played a major part in the invention of early rock and roll. Country Rock came along around '70 or so and is found in the bands we have mentioned above. It included much the same jazzy infusion as Texas Swing bands had been doing since the 50's. Country Rock infused Country music with rock and roll, jazz improvisation, Sax and horns, Steel guitars, guitars, violin, vocal harmony, etc., and these bigger bands playing in the style/genre (to include Southern Rock) however we wish to put it, made the rock and roll charts...but that's just my opinion not a historical account... cool

Ps. and I'll add Asleep At The Wheel as an example of Texas Swing as they pretty much worship Bob Wills.

Edited by Larryz (01/20/19 09:18 AM)
Edit Reason: Ps.

#2970262 - 01/20/19 12:15 PM Re: Lowell George, just y'know, sayin' [Re: Larryz]
d / halfnote Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Larryz
@ d, Feet vs Feat really? You wanna throw a flag on that one and "a cat who wansa honk abt" Charlie Daniels in a Country Rock kinda thread? (which is BTW one of Little Feat's "style"/genres like it or not). You the biggest wordamizer on the forum wanna get down on a typo? Well have your fun with it, is all I can say...yes, I do appreciate Lowell George and his addition to the "style" but, he's not any butter than the ones on my toast...I also mentioned the Marshall Tucker Band who Lowell and Little Feat opened for at the Santa Monica, CA Civic Auditorium 1974...He also had a lot in common with his friend Bonnie Raitt (i.e. Fender slide aficionados) that you see singing back up sans guitar in one of your YT clips, reminds me of her backing up Roy Orbison in his black and white video performance...

LarZ, I think I've demostrateed my respect for you but deliberately spelling for effect is not the same as not even noticing the spelling in the 1st place, which is what I think happened.
BTW & FWIW, if you don't dig the diff between Lowell George & them cats you cited....well maybe my respect for you's been misplaced.
Lowell George not only taught Raitt the finer points of her style but created a style in the 1st, 2nd & ka-3rd place that goes beyond simply "playing slide"...
& that doesn't even get into his talents as a player in general
his compositional talents
nor his skills as a producer.

Chuck Daniels ?
Can you imagine him in Zappa's band ?
Or even doon anything else than that Johnny-1-stroke thang he did ?
Merle Haggard w/out the sense of irony.
-----------------------
As to the Nother Cat (WhaThaFa) rolleyes , less said the better

#2970286 - 01/20/19 02:12 PM Re: Lowell George, just y'know, sayin' [Re: d / halfnote]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

@ d, Here's a Wiki article on Lowell that will cover more about him than I wanted to try and squeeze into my space and time. You and others can read more about the history you are concerned with (i.e compositional talents, Bonnie Raitt, playing slide, his producer skills, playing with Zappa, etc). And nope, I can't really imagine Charlie Daniels playing with Frank Zappa...you need not respect me, I'm just trying to comment on the forum, typos and all...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lowell_George

cool

#2970373 - 01/21/19 04:39 AM Re: Lowell George, just y'know, sayin' [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

OK Larry, YOU might consider "rockabilly" as simply "rock'n'roll", but to me, the WORD "Rockabilly" suggests an AMALGAM of the two musical styles( Rock'n'roll and "Hillbilly", a name given country music by even many from the South that I've known over the years. wink )

And I'm sure anybody over 40 knows well the ROLE Country music played in the history of Rock'n'Roll's formation, so really no need for the history lesson( unless for the benefit of millennials. wink )

And as for Charlie Daniels in Zappa's band? Well....

I wouldn't PRESUME to think I'd know what FRANK ZAPPA would choose to do from one minute to the next. WHO's to say? Given more time, Frank may HAVE explored any possibilities in that direction. Like I said, I wouldn't PRESUME.....
Whitefang

#2970397 - 01/21/19 07:21 AM Re: Lowell George, just y'know, sayin' [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

@ Fang,

1. As I said Fang, "it's just my opinion not a historical account". You are free post your opinions and oppositions. I still believe Rock and Roll was an "Amalgam" of Country and Rhythm and blues. I too refer to it as Rockabilly for the reasons stated in my post. I don't consider it an amalgam of "Rock'n'Roll and Hillbilly". Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Bill Haley, Everly Brothers, Buddy Holly, Carl Perkins and even Chuck Berry along with many others were considered just a bunch of young hicks thinking those hillbilly's could make music back in the 50's. Rock and Roll wouldn't stand the test of time, was the presumption by those our age at the time. The same comments were made to me back in the early 60's about the Beatles and their music. Both have stood the test of time IMHO.

2. With regard to Charlie Daniels playing with Frank Zappa, that was my answer to d's question. It was not a "presumption". I don't think the two would match up musically speaking. And, no I do not see them ever playing together (not saying it couldn't ever happen if either of them wanted to). It is highly more likely that Charlie Daniels and Lowell George would play together as they had Country Rock in common. If you take a look at the article I posted, you'll find that out. It was not the only genre Lowell was into while for Charlie, it was. In the tune I posted by Charlie you'll hear the lyrics about the Tucker Boys rockin down in Carolina. That's the Marshall Tucker band I mentioned that Lowell George opened for in Santa Monica...

3. These are just my comments, not meant to educate those under 40.

cool

Edited by Larryz (01/21/19 07:30 AM)

#2970637 - 01/22/19 05:03 AM Re: Lowell George, just y'know, sayin' [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Wow. ----
Talk about a "ZOOM!" wink

If you read carefully, you'd notice the "presumption" wasn't yours. And all I was indicating was that there WAS no way of telling WHAT Frank would do from one LP release to the next. I still recall what a surprise THE GRAND WAZOO was (and to some still IS) to many Mothers fans. You know, the "straight up" (mostly)jazz and "big band" thing and all..... wink AND an LP I still listen to often. smile

AND.... IF you recall...Elvis really did want to be on the country stage, auditioning for THE GRAND OLD OPRY and whatnot. And too, back in "the day" one had to hit the "Country/Western" bins at the local record shop to find Perkins, Jerry Lee, Bill Haley and too, THE EVERLY Brothers LPs. Hell....

The record store I used to frequent( Town'n'Country) didn't HAVE a bin for "Blues", instead kept all that stuff in a section they designated "RACE". cool because again, back in "the day" music by African-Americans WAS referred to as "Race music". What we eventually call it NOW doesn't change that. And as for LOWELL GEORGE...

He WAS largely and unfairly unheralded for his career.
Whitefang

Edited by whitefang (01/22/19 05:04 AM)

#2970683 - 01/22/19 08:39 AM Re: Lowell George, just y'know, sayin' [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: whitefang
OK Larry, YOU might consider "rockabilly" as simply "rock'n'roll", but to me, the WORD "Rockabilly" suggests an AMALGAM of the two musical styles( Rock'n'roll and "Hillbilly", a name given country music by even many from the South that I've known over the years. wink )

And I'm sure anybody over 40 knows well the ROLE Country music played in the history of Rock'n'Roll's formation, so really no need for the history lesson( unless for the benefit of millennials. wink )

And as for Charlie Daniels in Zappa's band? Well....

I wouldn't PRESUME to think I'd know what FRANK ZAPPA would choose to do from one minute to the next. WHO's to say? Given more time, Frank may HAVE explored any possibilities in that direction. Like I said, I wouldn't PRESUME.....
Whitefang

I read it carefully and still think the "presume" comment along with the others were directed to me with the "OK Larry". "I" can see where "I'd" know you were making your own observation if it was clearly who you were referring too? Anyway, thanks for the "Zoom".

With regard to Elvis, he also loved that "race" music and it was also known on Billboard as Rhythm and Blues and predominately considered black music back in those days. Elvis would revamp those old R&B tunes from about 1945 on, like his 1st song That's Alright (Mama), Hound Dog, Shake Rattle and Roll, etc. and make them his own...The farmers weren't worried about him shaking his ass (which is what Scotty Moore described in interviews as how Elvis directed his band), they were more worried about him playing that "race" music...

Like Lowell George, Elvis was into other genres. He grew up singing in the church and loved Gospel. He had to fight with RCA to put out a Gospel album. Which became one of their best sellers. He loved having his band and back up singers staying up after his performances, and singing Gospel at his after the gig parties.

As you pointed out, he also grew up on Country music as did Scotty, Bill and DJ. The flip side of That's Alright is Blue Moon of Kentucky. That was the tune he auditioned with at the Grand Old Opry. He was upset that they told him to stick to truck driving as they didn't appreciate his new version. Later, he convinced RCA to put out a Country album, which turned them boys around to his way of thinking.

"I'm" not "presuming" Lowell George would have played with Elvis either LOL! But, there is something good about crossing into different genres that they both recognized. I couldn't see Zappa and Daniels playing together, which is all I was saying...I could see Lowell playing with Elvis. cool

ps. they both had an eating disorder. I think the article I posted mentioned Lowell getting to 308 lbs.

Edited by Larryz (01/22/19 08:43 AM)
Edit Reason: ps.

#2970857 - 01/23/19 03:52 AM Re: Lowell George, just y'know, sayin' [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

rolleyes *sigh!*
Here's an earlier "quote" that might finally make it clear WHOM that "presume" comment was aimed.

Chuck Daniels ?
Can you imagine him in Zappa's band ?
Or even doon anything else than that Johnny-1-stroke thang he did ?
Merle Haggard w/out the sense of irony.

And I don't recall ANYthing stated by anyone about Lowell George recording wirht elvis... idk
Must have missed a sentence or two somewhere.....
Whitefang

#2970904 - 01/23/19 07:41 AM Re: Lowell George, just y'know, sayin' [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

@ Fang, If you want to quote d, then think about quoting him instead of having me (not the brightest bulb in the room) trying to read between the lines. I already indicated that all I was doing is trying to answer his question (that you are now quoting), which was directed to me by d. That way, I don't get "zoomed" as often. As for anything stated by anyone about Lowell possibly playing with Elvis, it was in my imagination/answer. So, you can quote me, as I'm the one who's saying it...it would make more sense than Charlie D. playing with F. Zappa IMHO (although neither had occurred nor in all probability would have). cool

Edited by Larryz (01/23/19 07:59 AM)

#2971437 - 01/25/19 04:39 AM Re: Lowell George, just y'know, sayin' [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Well don't worry too much about it. In nearly 20 years here I've had a LOT of posts and thread OPs taken out of context. Gotten so used to it I should be disappoined when it doesn't happen. wink

I never have, however, threatened to "take my ball and go home" over it. wink

I STILL say, however too, that for all ANY of us really knows, Zappa MAY HAVE considered doing something with Daniels. I mean, after FLO and EDDIE, ANYTHING could have been possible! laugh
Whitefang

#2971469 - 01/25/19 07:25 AM Re: Lowell George, just y'know, sayin' [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

I have never followed Zappa, so I'll leave the question to those that have. I have been a fan of Charlie Daniels and his music. As I said (in context), it's just my comment/answer to a question directed to me. Whether the two "may have" ever considered the idea goes both ways. As I said, I could see Charlie playing with Lowell many times more likely.

#2971474 - 01/25/19 07:55 AM Re: Lowell George, just y'know, sayin' [Re: Larryz]
d / halfnote Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Leaving not read anythin' above since my last post
lemme say this...
Here's the whole prob.
Some cats, like me, frequent commenters to this forum,
but unlike me never able to shut up grin
keep talking,
often abt stuff that has nothing to do w/the subject at hand.

In the present situation
1 is an actual musician but w/a tendency to misunderstand music outside his direct experience.
That's OK, kinda sorta, b/c he's actually a musician
& sorta reasonable.

The other is a complete Nimrod who never played anything but a couple chord sequences kinda like "Proud Mary" in some distantly past basement but thinks that he's able to comment on (as he likes to capitalize) EVERYTHING, even when all he posts is that he has nothing to say.
Do ya dig where I get this umbrage ?
21st C
time to get w/it
or
ShThFuUp

#2971482 - 01/25/19 08:30 AM Re: Lowell George, just y'know, sayin' [Re: d / halfnote]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Thanks d, and like you I stand by my comments even if they "misunderstand music outside my direct experience." I know you can go a few more rounds with the other guy LOL! I want you to Hang in there! I try to stay out of the situation between you and Fang and only explain my comments when asked to by you guys...It is true that I have not followed some of the greats and limit my time and guitar playing efforts in the areas that I listen to...my sets include old rock and roll, jazz standards, country, country rock, rockabilly, Pop and tunes from the 30's and 40's etc. I'm selective but versatile. I don't have the time left to spend researching all the super talented musicians out there...I do not research everything before posting and many comments are from the little bit of memory I have left.

Like acoustic open mic's that I play at now and then, we accept and support all musicians who perform from beginner to pro. I find the same is true for this forum and even though we have experts in many fields (as Brother Winston pointed out on a thread), I like to support everyone who comments and encourage both young and old to participate. I know it gets frustrating at times, but bear with me. cool

Edited by Larryz (01/25/19 08:41 AM)

#2971487 - 01/25/19 08:57 AM Re: Lowell George, just y'know, sayin' [Re: Larryz]
d / halfnote Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Dig, LarZ
& I mean really dig
http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads...att#Post2971486

Nobody needa be
a great muso
or even a good muso....
BUT
They needa know
the basic ground
they
wanna stand on.

#2971606 - 01/25/19 07:25 PM Re: Lowell George, just y'know, sayin' [Re: d / halfnote]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

thu

#2971672 - 01/26/19 04:31 AM Re: Lowell George, just y'know, sayin' [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Fact remains....

Like EVERYONE ELSE whose names grace these pages, I HAVE A RIGHT to be here. And MY COMMENTS are based on MY OWN EXPERIENCES culminated from over 50 YEARS of personal involvement of playing music, and 60+ YEARS of listening and LOViNG all kinds of it. Which does make me NOT MUCH DIFFERENT than most here.

The MAJOR difference 'tween me and some others is that when others here DON'T respond to any of my posts in a way I think they should, I don't whine and threaten to "take my ball and go home". OR insult them and needlessly boast about MY "accomplishments" as a "serious musician"(you know who you are, if you're reading this at all....), which I NEVER questioned. So, to ANYBODY here....

Don't make YOUR insecurities MY problem, or BLAME them on ME or the OTHERS here.
Whitefang

#2972247 - 01/28/19 03:45 PM Re: Lowell George, just y'know, sayin' [Re: whitefang]
d / halfnote Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Member A
That is great! What a wonderful Birthday Present that you're giving your Grandpa. cool And Elvin Bishop- what a fantastic, classic, legendary singer, songwriter, guitarist and performer. "Fooled Around and Fell in Love" has been a favorite of mine since I first heard it on FM radio late at night when I was a ten year old kid (it was a brand new song then)...

Originally Posted By: Member B
Oh To most of US old "BLUESIES", "Fooled Around And Fell In Love" was a disappointment to those of us familiar with his history as an artist.

Originally Posted By: Member A
Thank goodness you set me straight. What the Heck was I thinking, liking that song and guitar playing?!

Originally Posted By: Member B
but when you like someone & them go "astray".
.....Like THIS guy did here....
And since I'm waxing "dementia/nostalgic" about old blues guys, whatever happened to THESE guys? (REMEMBER THEM ?)
(REMEMBER THEM?)
(remember them?)
(remember them?)

Getting like an clangorousecho chamber in here, innit ?
Quote:
Like EVERYONE else I YELL A LOTwhen typing
& I ALSO HAVE A RIGHT to YELL A LOT
And MY COMMENTS are based on MY OWN
narrow EXPERIENCES culminated from over 5000 YEARS of personal involvement of playing at music,
and 60K + YEARS of not listening carefully

The MAJOR difference 'tween me and some others
is that I've NEVER seen a subject
that DIDn'T REQUIRE my "OPEN ONION"
& never give up once I'VE DUG in &
I can't simply LEAVE OTHERS alone
no matter HOW MANY TIMES they indicate that's what they wish
i just GOTTA HAVE the last word

deadhorse

#2972320 - 01/29/19 03:50 AM Re: Lowell George, just y'know, sayin' [Re: d / halfnote]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

idk
I'm just guessing, but it might be that some would rather some others wait until their MEDS KICK IN before coming around.

And most of us AREN'T fluent in "spaz" well enough to understand what some put in here. wink
Whitefang

#2973242 - 02/02/19 07:09 AM Re: Lowell George, just y'know, sayin' [Re: whitefang]
d / halfnote Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
idk
I'm just guessing, but it might be that some would rather some others wait until their MEDS KICK IN before coming around.

And most of us AREN'T fluent in "spaz" well enough to understand what some put in here. wink

Call yer own DR. Mr Cant Shut Up

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose