Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2968446 - 01/12/19 01:01 AM Using Korg as a Brain for Some Rehearsals
KeyboardEric Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
My setup is quite simple and I'm basically content with it for now. I use a Roland VR 730 for my bottom board and on top I have a Korg Kross 61. I can get all my sounds this way for a 70s/80s cover band I'm in. Only problem is that I hate lugging two boards to practice every week. So I thought about borrowing a band mate's Kurzweil (he offered) to keep at practice and just use it as a controller for the Kross (since KROSS is so very light and easy to bring back and forth). I was thinking it might be a pain to set up the sounds to get it to work but possibly worth it in the long run since less lugging. Has anyone else tried this approach and had success? I would still like to use my Roland for gigs and important rehearsals leading up to gigs.

I found a MIDI cable and tested out the idea by mastering the KROSS to a cheapo plastic Yamaha I have lying around. I was able to get it to work some but the MIDI channel assignments were kind of confusing to me and didn't make complete sense. Also, for some reason it would split up sounds between the two boards inside of some combis (not really sure why). Once, I detached the boards and reset the KROSS everything went back to normal. Do controller boards have different channels they receive sounds from depending on the particular board? I would ideally like to program everything from the KORG but this may not be realistic. I thought I could also make duplicate combis just to use for rehearsals with controller board and then my original combis (for gigs) wouldn't be tampered with. Last question, anyone out there with a KORG use theirs as a master to a separate controller? Based on things I've read, I think the KROME and KRONOS function similarly to the KROSS in this way. Well, any advice I will consider, since I'm kind of stuck at the moment and not sure what to do. Thanks for this great forum, everyone is always so nice and helpful.

Edited by KeyboardEric (01/12/19 01:05 AM)

KC Island
#2968450 - 01/12/19 05:23 AM Re: Using Korg as a Brain for Some Rehearsals [Re: KeyboardEric]
KorgyPorky Offline

Get yourself a keytar and go for a light weight software/macbook/laptop setup..

#2968451 - 01/12/19 05:36 AM Re: Using Korg as a Brain for Some Rehearsals [Re: KeyboardEric]
Dr88s Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Montreal, Canada
Hi Eric,

I was a little confused reading through your post as to what you are trying to do, specifically with your use of the word “master” and questions about transmitting and receiving midi and sounds.

It sounds to me like you usually have a 2 keyboard setup, treating each individually, both outputting audio but that now you want the Kross to output all sounds and trigger some with another keyboard by setting up splits in the Kross. This is absolutely doable and provides you the flexibility of using it with a variety of controllers. I don’t have a Kross but I used to have an m50 and now have a Kronos which share a lot of the same architecture and UI.

I am hazarding a guess that the reason your cheap Yamaha keyboard didn’t behave as you had hoped has to do with how it transmits MIDI. Were you able to specify transmission over a specific MIDI channel? A capable controller should let you set the output MIDI channel to 1-16.

Then, in your KROSS combi, set the midi channel for the sound you want to trigger from the controller to the output channel of the controller, and set the sounds you want controlled by the Korg to ‘INT’.

Thinking about it more, you could probably even trigger multiple sounds on the Korg from within a single Combi by assigning different note ranges to the different sounds and setting them all to the controller’s MIDI channel.

I hope that I have understood your question and I hope that this was helpful.

#2968458 - 01/12/19 07:29 AM Re: Using Korg as a Brain for Some Rehearsals [Re: KeyboardEric]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: KeyboardEric
Do controller boards have different channels they receive sounds from depending on the particular board?

Controllers don't receive anything (sounds or otherwise), they send (transmit) MIDI. If you want to get comfortable doing the kind of thing you're talking about, you need to take some time to understand what's actually happening, otherwise your troubleshooting will just be shots in the dark.

But in broad terms, using a simple controller (as likely the case with your cheap Yamaha), you will want to set it to send on some MIDI channel; and then in your Korg Combis, assign to that same channel any sounds you want the external board to play. Caveat: Do not use the Korg Global channel for this function. Which means, usually, if you've never changed any defaults, anything other than channel 1 will work.

Most Kurzweils are very flexible as controllers, opening up other possibilities if you need them.

#2968462 - 01/12/19 07:47 AM Re: Using Korg as a Brain for Some Rehearsals [Re: AnotherScott]
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
I do a similar approach, except my rig including live is designed to be the same whether I'm at home, practice, or a gig.

I got a deal on a pair of Roland A-70 MIDI controllers. I have a Kronos 61 and all the sounds come from that. The other benefit of that is you don't have to submit 2 keyboards since it all comes from one, any lower tier sounds are just parts of a combi in the Kronos. Any keyboard transmitting on at channel can play those sounds. My live stand is an Apex. I had an old deltex which isn't as easy to set up tear down and transport. So the deltex and one A-70 stays at practice. The Apex and the other A70 goes to gigs. I have a Standtastic with my old Triton pro that stays set up at home. So I just take the Kronos 61 to plop down in each place. Since everything's in the Kronos, everything's exactly the same whether I'm at practice, home, or a gig.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2968550 - 01/12/19 04:15 PM Re: Using Korg as a Brain for Some Rehearsals [Re: J. Dan]
richforman Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Long Island, NY
Same here, Kronos on top, all sounds from that, and in my combi's, I program any parts I want to be played from the bottom board (controller), to respond to channel 15 (picked that arbitrarily). Then I have my bottom keyboard, a Yamaha MOXF8, set up to transmit MIDI on channel 15 in Voice mode and I'm all good. At rehearsal studios that can offer any MIDI keyboard (pretty much, any keyboard), I dont't need to bring my bottom board, it usually only takes a minute to figure out how to select default MIDI channel 15 on theirs and I'm all set. Also, often for rehearsals, you might often be able to get away with just bringing your Kross and just playing on that, if you just need to nail song arrangements and beginnings and endings with your band, you may be able to get away with just playing everything on a sd imple piano or organ sound, even with fewer keys to play than normal, and not need your whole rig and sound setup like you do at a gig. Your bandmates probably won't care and keeping schleppage to a minimum is always a worthy goal.

Edited by richforman (01/12/19 04:16 PM)

#2968601 - 01/13/19 12:36 AM Re: Using Korg as a Brain for Some Rehearsals [Re: richforman]
KeyboardEric Offline

Hey thanks for all the great feedback. I was able to hook up my weighted Yamaha P155 to set up as a controller with the KORG, set the MIDI channel to 5 and now I can program my combis to use it no problem as long as they are assigned to that channel. The Korg patches/splits remain on the global channel and still work perfectly on the main board. I programmed about 6 different combis this way earlier today and everything is going as planned. I think the problem I had with the cheap Yamaha was that it couldn't assign a MIDI channel (or at least I was unable to figure it out) so I think that board was kind of useless for my needs here.

Sorry for my misuse of proper terminology. I never took a class on MIDI so trouble shooting in the dark, googling, deciphering the manuals and getting a little outside help from this forum is basically my learning process for the time being. If it wasn't for all the wonderful encouragement and great knowledge on this forum I might not have reached my goal. Thank you again!

I will now go research a "wiki how" on MIDI controlling to bone up on my terminology. smile

Edited by KeyboardEric (01/13/19 12:37 AM)

#2968602 - 01/13/19 12:38 AM Re: Using Korg as a Brain for Some Rehearsals [Re: KeyboardEric]
KeyboardEric Offline

I hope now that any controller I set up to use with the KORG as long as its set to transmit(?) to MIDI channel 5 should work.

#2968644 - 01/13/19 09:12 AM Re: Using Korg as a Brain for Some Rehearsals [Re: KeyboardEric]
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Yep, you got it

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2968658 - 01/13/19 10:20 AM Re: Using Korg as a Brain for Some Rehearsals [Re: KeyboardEric]
Dr88s Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: KeyboardEric
I hope now that any controller I set up to use with the KORG as long as its set to transmit(?) to MIDI channel 5 should work.

Yup. Sometimes it can be tricky figuring out how a particular controller does that without a manual though so be careful trying this with random backline.

#2968825 - 01/14/19 10:34 AM Re: Using Korg as a Brain for Some Rehearsals [Re: Dr88s]
drmidi Offline

Loc: Ontario
I plug 2 Korg Microkey 61's into the Kronos' USB inputs,provides power. Assign as others have noted each on different MIDI channels in a Combi and i have 3 Kronos available.In a Gator 61 TSA case one can even fit the Kronos 61 & 1 Microkey61.Great for rehearsal and short jazz fest gigs.

#2968873 - 01/14/19 01:47 PM Re: Using Korg as a Brain for Some Rehearsals [Re: drmidi]
Dr88s Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: drmidi
I plug 2 Korg Microkey 61's into the Kronos' USB inputs,provides power. Assign as others have noted each on different MIDI channels in a Combi and i have 3 Kronos available.In a Gator 61 TSA case one can even fit the Kronos 61 & 1 Microkey61.Great for rehearsal and short jazz fest gigs.

The Kronos capable of acting as a USB midi host. The vast majority of other keyboards are not. I am not certain if he KROME or KROSS are but I’d doubt it.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner