Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2968373 - 01/11/19 12:21 PM HELP!! Roland VS 1824 Recorder
LX88 Offline
Platinum Member

Hello

I am trying to find some help in trying to understand this Roland VS 1824 recorder that I just inherited.

I need to use something like this ( Not computer based recording involving software, mixers , interfaces and God knows what else) BECAUSE I have to transport something like this to another musician that I will be working with and I need an easy set up, no muss no fuss.

The reason I ask for help is because I tried to get started with the manuals and hit some snags. I got NOWHERE in my first attempt to use this thing.

All the YOUTUBE tutorials are in Japanese or Spanish. However there are some tutorials that might be similar to this unit.

It would be great to get some links to info to help me make this work. In theory it looks like what I might need. In practice these things are notorious for having manuals that have lapses in understandable instructions.

Thank you

KC Island
#2968376 - 01/11/19 12:45 PM Re: HELP!! Roland VS 1824 Recorder [Re: LX88]
ProfD Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Wash DC Area
It has been a long time since I have used a similar hard disk recorder.

First, it helps to understand tracking, recording and mixing from an analog perspective.

A hard disk recorder (digital device) consolidates all of those features into one box.

On the VS-1824, I would suggest initializing the unit to its defaulit settings. Plug a mic or instrument into channel 1 and use the E-Z Routing feature.

Understanding how the signal flows for tracking, recording and mixing within the VS-1824 for one track applies to all tracks.

Hopefully, someone who has extensively used one and/or is still using it will chime in with specific shortcuts. cool

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

#2968400 - 01/11/19 03:26 PM Re: HELP!! Roland VS 1824 Recorder [Re: ProfD]
mate stubb Offline
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

My sympathies. Trying to understand a complicated Roland recorder without any help beyond the typical Rolandese manual is bound to be an exercise in frustration. Seek another path if possible.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2968824 - 01/14/19 10:33 AM Re: HELP!! Roland VS 1824 Recorder [Re: mate stubb]
LX88 Offline
Platinum Member

I wish there was another path. These sort of recorders have declined in popularity, because of the learning curve I suppose.

In general, many time those who demonstrate anything seem to be unaware that not everyone knows what they know.

#2968867 - 01/14/19 01:19 PM Re: HELP!! Roland VS 1824 Recorder [Re: LX88]
Franz Schiller Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Have you considered a modern hardware recorder? Like a Tascam DP-24 or DP-32? They are a LOT more user friendly, have better features, sound great, etc.

#2968953 - 01/15/19 01:12 AM Re: HELP!! Roland VS 1824 Recorder [Re: LX88]
mojkarma Offline

Originally Posted By: LX88

I need to use something like this ( Not computer based recording involving software, mixers , interfaces and God knows what else) BECAUSE I have to transport something like this to another musician that I will be working with and I need an easy set up, no muss no fuss.

These days computer based recording involves a lightweight compact laptop (like macbook air or similar windows based), one single usb cable and one small and compact audiointerface. That is lightyears away from "no muss no fuss". Usually most of the audiointerfaces come with some included form of recording software which usually has more features than a hardware recorder.
It's your choice but there is no advance in using a hardware recorder.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner