Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2968351 - 01/11/19 10:29 AM OT: virus
Steve Nathan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Nashville, TN
My wife’s MacBook got hit. The phony “update Flashplayer” that sneaks a bunch of crap on before you realize what’s happening. For years I’ve used a free program (ClamXav) that is free no more. I was able to clean it up with a trial of malwarebytes and I’ll need something from here on. I figured before I subscribe to either one I’d see what you Mac geniuses use.

www.stevenathanmusic.com
https://www.musiciansforpensionsecurity.com/

KC Island
#2968354 - 01/11/19 10:34 AM Re: OT: virus [Re: Steve Nathan]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
3 Mac household here.

McAfee. $40. Don't cheap out

Wife shops all over the Internet. I run the scan on all machines every week.
Its no big deal

#2968367 - 01/11/19 11:42 AM Re: OT: virus [Re: GregC]
timwat Offline
Quite wealthy...spiritually
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Concord,CA,UNITED STATES
I'm currently using Bitdefender on each of the four macs I use and oversee.

I also have Malwarebytes and use that occasionally as the second scan.

Used to use ClamXav as well, but like you moved off it to Malwarebytes, then Bitdefender as my first line of defense.

#2968369 - 01/11/19 11:54 AM Re: OT: virus [Re: timwat]
tfort Offline

I don't use any, currently oversee 7 Macs. Have users' accounts be User accounts, not Admin. Pay for decent Safari Content blocker (I'm currently using Better). Turn off/delete Flash. Educate family members not to click on any links from email that you did not expect and how to recognize phishing attempts. I flush cookies routinely and am pretty zealous about privacy and security, they go hand in hand in my opinion.

#2968390 - 01/11/19 02:08 PM Re: OT: virus [Re: tfort]
MoodyBluesKeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: eastern North Carolina
Malware Bytes on all Windows machines and also on the Macbook Pro. MWB also owns Adwcleaner, which is aggressive in removing adware, but I think that one is Windows only.

The paid version of MWB is memory resident and intercepts stuff trying to get on the computer instead of just being a tool to remove what has already gotten through.

NEVER update Flashplayer without going directly to Adobe's site (obviously except on Windows 8 & 10 where Microsoft gets the update from Adobe and packages it as a Windows update) or with Chrome where the same sort of thing is done.

One of the things I really like with Microsoft Edge is that, when one turns Flash off, it assumes one doesn't want to see constant whining about needing Flash for something on the page.

I will really be glad when Adobe completely drops Flash in 2020, which they have announced will be done.

Tfort's recommendations are good for Mac or Windows.
Jim

#2968430 - 01/11/19 08:17 PM Re: OT: virus [Re: MoodyBluesKeys]
hardware Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Nevada
Update sneaks in but not as much as it extracts.
On Mac IOS the updates are merely extractions of data, same with everyone else.
I keep my performance rigs offline then Windows 10 loads up any data or new samples via an SSD with USB C Sabrent ext SSD/HDD.

If Macs can use Avast I know it’s fantastic on iPad.
Performance boosters, even seem to give extra battery life.
Great VPNs too.
100 bucks for 3 machines.

#2968435 - 01/11/19 08:42 PM Re: OT: virus [Re: hardware]
Dave Bryce Administrator Offline
KCFFL Champ '14,'16,'18
10k Club

Loc: Thousand Oaks,CA,UNITED STATES
Malwarebytes.

dB

rockit ==> David Bryce MusicFunky Young Monks <==rawk

Professional affiliations: Cloud MicrophonesCrumarelysiaReverb FoundryRoswell Pro Audio

#2968437 - 01/11/19 09:16 PM Re: OT: virus [Re: Dave Bryce]
Mighty Motif Max Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Northeastern MN, U.S.
Another vote for Malwarebytes. PC uses it too.

Korg Krome 61

Roland JV-1000

Titano Virtuoso Converter, Resident Audio T4, Casio CT-370, Kimball Valencia/Broadway

#2968440 - 01/11/19 10:06 PM Re: OT: virus [Re: Mighty Motif Max]
Cachow Offline

My first post...
Retired now and I am looking to get back to the piano.

Is there a need for virus protection on an ipad?

This is a nice friendly place.

#2968452 - 01/12/19 06:37 AM Re: OT: virus [Re: Cachow]
MoodyBluesKeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: eastern North Carolina
Welcome to Keyboard Corner.
It is possible for ANY computer device to be infected by malware. IOS is generally a pretty secure operating system, and deliberately limits a lot of the ways of infection. However, there ARE ways. First, some folk "jailbreak" their iPhones or iPads, which is a generic term for modifying the OS to eliminate some of the features, usually so that the user can do something that Apple doesn't support. Second, it is possible to write apps that employ Apple's Enterprise Support - which is a method that large companies use to write their own apps for internal use, rather than having to produce the app and put it on the App Store. This is a bit difficult, since the app must be signed by an Apple Enterprise Certificate.
Apple generally forces going to the App Store for installing any app (except for the above exception), they do mess up occasionally, but will remove any app if malware activity is found, and may even ban the developer. Android on the other hand prefers using the Play Store, but allows installations from other sources - so is much less secure.

I have found this Internet source to be generally trustworthy, the link is to an article that explains a bit more in detail. Lifewire.com article about iPad and viruses
Jim

#2968461 - 01/12/19 07:36 AM Re: OT: virus [Re: MoodyBluesKeys]
Cachow Offline

Thank you

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner