Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Can't decide on Orchestral VST [Re: hardware] #2968353
01/11/19 03:34 PM
01/11/19 03:34 PM
Colorado
DOhm Offline
DOhm  Offline

Colorado
Sorry...I meant to say Project Sam Orchestral Essentials (OE1 and OE2). Awesome libraries!

NS3, Prophet 6, Moog Voyager, Leslie 3300, Hammond XK5, Collings 290, Tone King Sky King, Logic X, UAD Apollo 8, Yamaha S7X
KC Island
Re: Can't decide on Orchestral VST [Re: DOhm] #2968375
01/11/19 05:42 PM
01/11/19 05:42 PM
San Francisco Bay Area
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Mark Schmieder  Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

San Francisco Bay Area
Due to a just-received discount coupon, I was just reminded of one that I meant to mention earlier, that is low-risk due to cost, and yet is pretty high quality compared to most under-$200 string libraries:

https://www.kontakthub.com/product/hyper..._eid=899febbe2f

I've barely used it since it came out so don't remember how it sounds. Usually I'm not a fan of Soundiron as they go for Hollywood type sounds, which is 180 degrees from my preference for super-high-articulateness and small-scale intimacy. But I seem to recall the Hyperion teaser (a larger library is on the way, and this one will qualify for loyalty discounts), being a bit more intimate than their usual bombastic fare. Warmer too.

Last edited by Mark Schmieder; 01/11/19 05:42 PM.

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Select J-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari
Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold Top, RS520T, T486-RB, ES295, PM2, EXL1
WX5, XK1c, Voyager
Re: Can't decide on Orchestral VST [Re: Mark Schmieder] #2968455
01/12/19 12:01 PM
01/12/19 12:01 PM
Nevada
H
hardware Offline
Platinum Member
hardware  Offline
Platinum Member
H

Nevada
That’s a steal of a price. Like the Preview video, 3rd one down.
Strings without being bathed in FX or buried in some “Epic” sounding snore snippet.
If I were OP I’d jump on this.

Don’t let these Demos fool you either.
Try and find the sound in a walk through.
If they’re proud of it you’ll hear it as they walk through their interface.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic
Re: Can't decide on Orchestral VST [Re: hardware] #2968593
01/13/19 04:05 AM
01/13/19 04:05 AM
San Francisco Bay Area
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Mark Schmieder  Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

San Francisco Bay Area
I finally tried Native Instruments String Ensemble tonight, on a project where I had forgotten I was still using Session Strings Pro (I've been converting most of those to Vienna Symphonic Library), and I was pleasantly surprised by the timbre and the recording quality, once I turned off the reverb.

This library was done by Audiobro, who also did LASS (L.A. Scoring Strings), so now I guess I have a slight feel for that library.

I would say this one is a bit on the dark side, which I prefer. Very articulate and warm. I feel like the mic choices really brought out the wood and the rosin in just the right amounts.

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Select J-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari
Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold Top, RS520T, T486-RB, ES295, PM2, EXL1
WX5, XK1c, Voyager
Re: Can't decide on Orchestral VST [Re: Sam CA] #2968620
01/13/19 10:39 AM
01/13/19 10:39 AM
Maryland, USA
B
Bosendorphen Offline
Platinum Member
Bosendorphen  Offline
Platinum Member
B

Maryland, USA
Originally Posted By: Sam CA
Originally Posted By: Randelph
And how about the IK Multimedia Miroslav Philharmonic 2? I got this as part of a package with the iRig Keys I/O, the CE version (not the full package). For around $100 it covers alot of bases.

Yeah, it's a good entry level package that you can experiment with.

+1 - I got the original MP back in 2005 and immediately started using it for a low budget sci-fi feature. Got up and running quickly and it turned out great and gave the video a higher-budget feel. I did upgrade to 2 a few years ago.

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud
Aethellis
Re: Can't decide on Orchestral VST [Re: hardware] #2968621
01/13/19 10:47 AM
01/13/19 10:47 AM
EricBarker Offline
EricBarker  Offline

If you're doing classic prog, your first stop, really, should be a mellotron or string machine. I'm a prog guy, and that's often the thing I reach for first. In some ways, more realistic isn't the best approach. I love big symphonic stuff, but often times the best is with instruments that provide the same epic flavor, but while being decidedly keyboard. Don't get me wrong, I use EWQL and many Kontakt "realistic" instruments, but they come at a cost, you cease to be a keyboard player, and more a producer, a behind the scenes arranger. Classic prog used all these wonderfully unrealistic symphonic sounds, and they feel comfortable because they don't feel like they're trying to copy anyone else.

I use G-Force Mellotrons whenever I can get away with it. You play them like a keyboard, and they can fill the role of symphonic instruments while still screaming "I'm a keyboard!" It's taken me a while to really latch onto that (of all things, it was a guitarist buddy who really sold me on the idea), but I've really come around.

Now, I also do mockups and arranging for actual symphonic work (TV themes and beds for commercials), if I'm not playing live or working with a group as a band member, I'll use anything.

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio."

MacBook Pro running MainStage and various plugins (NI and other)
Arturia Keylab88, Mojo61, Seaboard Rise49, Vortex Keytar (RIP), Trumpet
Re: Can't decide on Orchestral VST [Re: EricBarker] #2968652
01/13/19 03:03 PM
01/13/19 03:03 PM
Boston/Cambridge
Fleer Offline
Fleer  Offline

Boston/Cambridge
Lots of orchestral libs here, but if you're indeed the rookiest of the noobs in terms of orchestration, maybe even Miroslav 2 could be daunting. Same goes for EastWest and VSL. If you're looking for entrance strings packages, that Soundiron Hyperion Micro is sound (and cheap) advice. Same goes for Embertone's strings.
But for starters, have a look at Garritan's Personal Orchestra 5 (and also their Instant Orchestra) to get to grips with orchestration. Some very sweet sounds in there, as GPO5 has been upgraded last year or so with lots of goodies.

Re: Can't decide on Orchestral VST [Re: hardware] #2969639
01/17/19 10:22 PM
01/17/19 10:22 PM
San Francisco Bay Area
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Mark Schmieder  Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

San Francisco Bay Area
There's also Peter Siedlaczek Complete Orchestral Collection, a Kontakt Player instrument from Best Service, which I've just put up for sale (for "cost of transfer" only), as it is redundant given my huge collection of libraries and my focus on primarily working with Vienna Symphonic Library.

As I state in the ad (here in the forum), this library has some characteristics in common with Miroslav Philharmonik, which probably should come as no surprise as it too is an Eastern European orchestra.

The few times I used it, I was impressed, especially given its price, as it felt very much like a mid-tiered product, and of course was priced as such when it first came out. But it has held up well over time, and has some unique features that I don't recall at the moment but which help avoid the immediate need for more detailed add-ons. Maybe choirs, runs, or aleatoric content? Or possibly smart phrase-context-based interpretation and auto-switching of articulations? Check the specs at my link.

Last edited by Mark Schmieder; 01/17/19 10:24 PM.

WX5, XK1c, Voyager
Re: Can't decide on Orchestral VST [Re: EricBarker] #2970012
01/19/19 04:34 PM
01/19/19 04:34 PM
Tel Aviv
A
Aperkeys Offline OP
Aperkeys  Offline OP
A

Tel Aviv
Actually we do a "Modern-Classic" Prog which does not rely mostly on Mellotrons, we're more a Symphonic-eclectic-Prog smile
Our first album that was done before I got my place in the band pretty relied on Symphonic sound, so I'm kinda obligated to that. With great love of course, so that's what I'm looking for in our second album.
I have to update that my budget has lifted, so I'm in the point of deciding between Albion One to Berlin Orchestra Inspire 1. I'm sure that there is no point for libraries with solo instruments, as we're surrounded friends and colleagues that play violin, cello, trumpet and so on very well. The big epic mockups are the ones are needed, as we can't afford a session with the local Philharmonic...

My Gear: Korg Kronos X 73, Nord Stage EX Compact, Kurzweil PC3K6 (For rehearsals mainly).
My Band: Aperco.
https://www.youtube.com/user/apercoband
Re: Can't decide on Orchestral VST [Re: Aperkeys] #2970025
01/19/19 05:19 PM
01/19/19 05:19 PM
Geoff Grace Offline
Senior Trade Show Overseer
Geoff Grace  Offline
Senior Trade Show Overseer
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Aperkeys
Actually we do a "Modern-Classic" Prog which does not rely mostly on Mellotrons, we're more a Symphonic-eclectic-Prog smile
Our first album that was done before I got my place in the band pretty relied on Symphonic sound, so I'm kinda obligated to that. With great love of course, so that's what I'm looking for in our second album.
I have to update that my budget has lifted, so I'm in the point of deciding between Albion One to Berlin Orchestra Inspire 1. I'm sure that there is no point for libraries with solo instruments, as we're surrounded friends and colleagues that play violin, cello, trumpet and so on very well. The big epic mockups are the ones are needed, as we can't afford a session with the local Philharmonic...

Between Albion One to Berlin Orchestra Inspire 1, I think most users would agree that Albion One is the more epic sounding of the two. Of course, Inspire has the Teldex sound that you mentioned you loved in the opening post; but if you want that sound in an epic orchestra, then Orchestral Tools Metropolis Ark 1 may be a better bet. You won't find any dynamic lower than mf in Ark 1, but it will give you that powerful, epic sound. Combine it with Metropolis Ark 2, if you want to add a dark, quiet contrast to your palette.

Best,

Geoff

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article
Re: Can't decide on Orchestral VST [Re: EricBarker] #2970139
01/20/19 03:05 AM
01/20/19 03:05 AM
the swamp
davedoerfler Offline
MPN Advisory Board
davedoerfler  Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member

the swamp
Originally Posted By: EricBarker

I use G-Force Mellotrons whenever I can get away with it.

M Tron-Pro is dope. puff

Next best thing to owning the real deal, for guys like me who can't afford an actual mellotron

"Use what works. Gear is overrated." CEB
Re: Can't decide on Orchestral VST [Re: Geoff Grace] #2970154
01/20/19 07:02 AM
01/20/19 07:02 AM
Tel Aviv
A
Aperkeys Offline OP
Aperkeys  Offline OP
A

Tel Aviv
The Metropolis Ark I is amazing but I do think that it's preferred to have ranges below Fm so I'm more leaning towards Inspire. The Albion One sounds far better than most libraries like EastWest etc, but I really like that Teldex sound indeed. Though I'm a bit fearing it's too wet for a band mix and it can be problematic. Time will tell.

My Gear: Korg Kronos X 73, Nord Stage EX Compact, Kurzweil PC3K6 (For rehearsals mainly).
My Band: Aperco.
https://www.youtube.com/user/apercoband
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner