Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2018-2019 Thread

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't remember the last time I saw a kicker miss the second try at a kick after he nailed the first kick when the Eagles called timeout. We couldn't believe he missed. I wonder where he's going to be employed next season.

As a Bears fan, it's been my fear that Parkey would do this during the playoffs. He's missed quite a few, including one November game in which he clanked the uprights FOUR times (two from point-after-touchdowns!).

As much as I feel bad for the guy, I have no wish to see him in a Bears uniform ever again. And yes, I know that last one was tipped, but seriously, he missed almost 1 out of 4 field goals during the season. Time to go.

Bears mascot will have contract renewed. :cool:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_2JLDqZjPE

Hilarious! And probably what I woulda done if I had been the mascot.

Some games are taken from you. And some games are given away.

4 years.... $15 million, $9 million guaranteed. Should have fired him after the Lions games.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I know. That's insane. Why would you ever sign anyone this dubious to that sort of a contract? But it comes down to if you want to win games or not. He gave that one away.

And yes, I get that Chicago could have been more potent on offense and all that and not have been put in a position like that. But it doesn't matter. You had a chance to win on a fairly windless 41-yard kick and you clanked it.

but seriously, he missed almost 1 out of 4 field goals during the season. Time to go.

So yesterday was par for the course. He made three of four field goals and scored 9 of the Bears 15 points. Is Parkey any worse than the Bears offense?

I think the Bears have a great defense, but even the defense dominated Bears of old needed Sweetness to go all the way. I'm not saying Parkey shouldn't go, just that the blame might be extended a bit.

As an interesting aside, the ESPN show Around the Horn revealed that Parkey used to practice by trying to hit a lamp post with his kicks.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

official ruling changed to what I thought all along. The kick was blocked. Block credited to Trevon Hester. Cody Parkey knew it all along.

"A placekick is a Rube Goldberg machine just waiting to collapse, and if any one of the series of required mechanics is just a little imprecise, the whole thing can full apart. In this case, according to former NFL punter Chris Kluwe, Parkey planted his left foot too close to the ball, forcing him to kick ever-so-slightly to the left, across his body instead of straight through.

Theres another angle here, though. Though no one noticed it at the time, Eagles DT Treyvon Hester got a hand on the ball. I cant tell you if it mattered, or which way the ball mightve hooked or sliced without the contact, but theres no disputing it that there was contact. Even if the balls trajectory and spin didnt appear to change, on the slow-motion replays you can see Hesters glove whip back as the ball passes."

Source

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

I know. That's insane. Why would you ever sign anyone this dubious to that sort of a contract? But it comes down to if you want to win games or not. He gave that one away.

And yes, I get that Chicago could have been more potent on offense and all that and not have been put in a position like that. But it doesn't matter. You had a chance to win on a fairly windless 41-yard kick and you clanked it.

My son told me today it is a $6 million cap hit to fire him. They can't really afford to release him till next year. The fans are going to be pretty rough on him.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

That sure isn't the coach I expected to come to Green Bay.

Nor did I, but LaFleur's résumé at least shows some potential. I guess they're looking for the next Sean McVay.

Packers to hire Titans OC Matt LaFleur as coach, sources say

I hope LaFleur can hire as good of a DC as McVay did. The link above, however, states that a source said that LaFleur would like to keep defensive coordinator Mike Pettine on board. Pettine had some inventive schemes, but the defense wasn't improved much over previous years.

Best,

Geoff

From what I've read, Green Bay's all-start QB gets 33 million a year. That's a big chunk of the CAP and leaves less $$$$ to get better players. It's a good thing he doesn't play in New England.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Regarding the block, a 43 yard field goal attempt is not so long as to require kicking it at a long angle to cover the distance. Also, I do not see any indication that the blocker penetrated into the Bears' backfield. So in my opinion it's still a bad kick by the kicker.

Packers to hire Titans OC Matt LaFleur as coach...

I would imagine this hire works for their HoF caliber QB.

Keeping Pettine (DC) and Philbin in some capacity maintains some continuity.

The Packers still need to shore up that defense and bring in a few more O-linemen to keep AR upright. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Trevon Hester said he got his finger tips on the ball. One way or the other, the Bears lost that game. Kicker is the loneliest job in the NFL. Miss ONE kick to win a game and end up working in McDonald's.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

but seriously, he missed almost 1 out of 4 field goals during the season. Time to go.

So yesterday was par for the course. He made three of four field goals and scored 9 of the Bears 15 points. Is Parkey any worse than the Bears offense?

I think the Bears have a great defense, but even the defense dominated Bears of old needed Sweetness to go all the way. I'm not saying Parkey shouldn't go, just that the blame might be extended a bit.

As an interesting aside, the ESPN show Around the Horn revealed that Parkey used to practice by trying to hit a lamp post with his kicks.

Best,

Geoff

Yeah, well, he should have practiced getting those kicks between lamp posts more often! :D

There's plenty of blame to go around, but Robbie Gould would NOT have missed that field goal or been 76% for the year or clanked four in one game. But Trubisky needs to improve and become far more consistent and the whole offense in general needs to improve, there's no question.

But the very weak link this season has been Parkey.

This isn't an opinion formed from an emotional response from him blowing the game. It's from watching him clank 'em the whole season. Most of the Bears fans I've been interacting with this season where terrified that Parkey would blow a game in the pre-season because he was such a lousy kicker. He's either the worst or the second worst kicker in the NFL, and that's an important position considering the amount of scoring a kicker does.

I'm also saying this fully realizing that the kick may have been blocked by Treyvon Hester (although one could go round and round with this, as many pundits are saying Heston only got his hands on this because the kick was too low in the first place).

I also want to point out that I'm pleased with the Bears this year. They exceeded most expectations this year and are on their way to becoming a really good team. I am very pleased with their season.

Regarding the block, a 43 yard field goal attempt is not so long as to require kicking it at a long angle to cover the distance. Also, I do not see any indication that the blocker penetrated into the Bears' backfield. So in my opinion it's still a bad kick by the kicker.

Your opinion seems to be shared by many pundits who have studied that kick, from what I've seen so far.

See my other comments regarding Parkey above. I feel bad for him, but most of the Bears fans I've interacted with have been saying for months that the were nervous about Parkey blowing a big game/playoff game and that he seemed like a really bad kicker, and have been extremely critical of the Bears getting rid of Robbie Gould. And I agree with all of that. I feel bad for Parkey, but he's a bad kicker, there's no way around it, and statistics more than, bear that out.

I also want to say again that I'm extremely happy with the Bears this season, and only see positive things moving forward.

My son told me today it is a $6 million cap hit to fire him. They can't really afford to release him till next year. The fans are going to be pretty rough on him.

Some of them will be, that's for sure.

The Bears will probably need to keep him. That's gonna be a tough pill to swallow if the guy doesn't improve noticeably.

If he puts in the time and improves, Bears fans are a forgiving lot. You see a LOT of Bears fans dumping on him, it's true, but you also see a lot of Bears fans saying they feel bad for him and pointing out that the Bears offense needs a lot of improvement and consistency, particularly Trubisky, while also acknowledging the general improvements throughout the season. There's a lot of hope overall in BearsLand, though, and rightfully so. They had a great season, doing better than most people ever predicted. I mean, few people ever had them sitting atop the NFC Central or beating the Rams.

The Bears will probably need to keep him. That's gonna be a tough pill to swallow if the guy doesn't improve noticeably.

If he puts in the time and improves, Bears fans are a forgiving lot. You see a LOT of Bears fans dumping on him, it's true, but you also see a lot of Bears fans saying they feel bad for him and pointing out that the Bears offense needs a lot of improvement and consistency, particularly Trubisky, while also acknowledging the general improvements throughout the season.[/Quote]

That doesn't surprise me. In my experience, the midwest has a generally kind and forgiving culture.

There's a lot of hope overall in BearsLand, though, and rightfully so. They had a great season, doing better than most people ever predicted. I mean, few people ever had them sitting atop the NFC Central or beating the Rams.

I certainly never would have predicted the Bears would have finished better than third this year, at least not until they got Khalil Mack anyway. But then, I also would have never predicted the Packers would finish with a losing record while a reasonably healthy Aaron Rodgers was at the helm.

New coach or not, Green Bay will have their work cut out for them next year. The Bears, Vikings, and Packers are all valid contenders for the top of the division.

Best,

Geoff

Hot off the press is that Bruce Arians will be the Bucs' new HC.

Arians is hiring Todd Bowles (DC) and Byron Leftwich (OC).

Reads like the Cardinals are being reunited in Florida. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Hot off the press is that Bruce Arians will be the Bucs' new HC.

Arians is hiring Todd Bowles (DC) and Byron Leftwich (OC).

Reads like the Cardinals are being reunited in Florida. :laugh::cool:

[video:youtube]

[video:youtube]

Okay, that's all I've got for now.

Best,

Geoff

The news is reporting that Kliff Kingsbury will probably get the Arizona Cardinals HC job.

Kingsbury is the same guy who was fired from Texas Tech. It just seems weird to hire and fire Wilks after one season only to hire someone off a college staff.

I hope that whatever offensive genius Kingsbury supposedly possesses will help Josh Rosen the way McVay rescued Jared Goff.

The NFL HC vacancies are filling up fast. Of course, it will seem like forever before get to see the teams under theilr new or recycled leadership. :cool:

PD

Heads are starting to roll in Pittsburgh. Two assistant coaches were let go, as in their contracts expired and were not renewed. The most significant assistant was former Steeler Joey Porter. Joey was Linebacker coach, but got himself in trouble when he ran out on the field during a game to argue with an opposing team player. That is NOT allowed under NFL rules. The NFL fined him $10,000. Yikes!

Last season, Porter got kicked out of a Pittsburgh sports bar for fighting.

The Steelers frown upon such behavior. I understand he and Mike Tomlin are good buddies and that might have delayed Porter getting the boot.

The next to get the ax is DC Butler. He's not very bright. I don't know how much input he had in putting together the Defensive game plan against New England, but Butler is about 3 days short of a week.

Mike T.

The Bears will probably need to keep him.

No choice. He is expensive.

Yeah, that's for sure. Hopefully he will put in the time and improve.

Vegas Line:

Date & Time Favorite Line Underdog Total

1/13 4:35 ET At Kansas City -5.5 Indianapolis 57

1/13 8:15 ET At LA Rams -7 Dallas 49.5

1/14 1:05 ET At New England -4 LA Chargers 46.5

1/14 4:40 ET At New Orleans -8 Philadelphia 51

Harmonizer

Television networks would hate a SB with teams for the same city, except maybe NY City. They like SB with a team from the Left Coast and a team from the Right Coast. They usually get a wider viewing audience when teams are far apart. Of course foreign countries that watch the Super Bowl don't use Google Maps, so they don't care. :facepalm: