Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2967910 - 01/09/19 07:22 AM Re: OT: Just before the gig I . . . [Re: Outkaster]
Michael Wright Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Stop the car half a block from the house to look at the gear, to see if it is all there.

KC Island
#2967911 - 01/09/19 07:23 AM Re: OT: Just before the gig I . . . [Re: Outkaster]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Texas
Assuming soundcheck and all other things are completed:

10 minutes to downbeat I pee. In cfact it is such a ritual over the years, the guys always know we're about to go on when "Dave takes his pre-game piss" grin

#2967913 - 01/09/19 07:32 AM Re: OT: Just before the gig I . . . [Re: Outkaster]
BluesKeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Raleigh, NC
I arrive at least an hour before show time to set up and relax. Then right before I go on I take a bathroom break and get some water. I despise getting to a gig late, setting up and have to start right then! No time to chill some how throws me out of whack!

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho
NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT
www.steveowensandsummertime.com
www.jimmyweaver.com
www.handsofmassage.com

#2967927 - 01/09/19 09:00 AM Re: OT: Just before the gig I . . . [Re: BluesKeys]
ABECK Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Framingham,MA,UNITED STATES
Ask myself why I didn't play guitar instead.

#2967930 - 01/09/19 09:15 AM Re: OT: Just before the gig I . . . [Re: ABECK]
Legatoboy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Huntington Sta., New York (LI)
Spray 'Instant Hair' on my bald spot just like Frank Baker!

Edited by Legatoboy (01/09/19 09:32 AM)

#2967941 - 01/09/19 09:46 AM Re: OT: Just before the gig I . . . [Re: Legatoboy]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco
I like to devote the 10 minutes before downbeat to engaging in tasteless humor with my bandmates. For me, this is almost like a form of meditation. It helps to wipe the slate blank and to create a division from everything that was occupying my mind up to that point in the day. It's also a rare safe zone where such humor can be unleashed.

Not everyone I've played with wants to participate in this, but most do, and the others will at least indulge me.

roccoromanucci.com

#2968119 - 01/10/19 06:45 AM Re: OT: Just before the gig I . . . [Re: Outkaster]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: S. Ca. USA
Piss on stage? No problem, just bring a cup or two, and do it on stage... carefully of course.
I am joking but actually long ago on a steady band of very silly guys, I recall pissing on stage.
I think our blind drummer knocked it over and proceeded to die laughing.

#2968120 - 01/10/19 06:47 AM Re: OT: Just before the gig I . . . [Re: I-missRichardTee]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: S. Ca. USA
Related but has anyone noticed that when a band takes a break and many of the guys hang in between sets, the band plays a little better?

#2968368 - 01/11/19 11:47 AM Re: OT: Just before the gig I . . . [Re: Adan]
waygetter Offline
Gold Member

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted By: Adan
I like to devote the 10 minutes before downbeat to engaging in tasteless humor with my bandmates. For me, this is almost like a form of meditation. It helps to wipe the slate blank and to create a division from everything that was occupying my mind up to that point in the day. It's also a rare safe zone where such humor can be unleashed.

Not everyone I've played with wants to participate in this, but most do, and the others will at least indulge me.

I'll participate in this with you Adan.

#2968389 - 01/11/19 02:03 PM Re: OT: Just before the gig I . . . [Re: Michael Wright]
EricBarker Offline

Originally Posted By: Michael Wright
Stop the car half a block from the house to look at the gear, to see if it is all there.

Yup! All the time. I once had a "bad feeling" on my way to a HUGE gig on the other side of the island, pulled over, sure enough, missing USB cable. turned around and only lost about 15 minutes. These days I keep a spare of pretty much everything in separate bags or in the trunk of my car.

Piss on stage? Yeah, I think we've all done that at one point or another. One time I was playing pit orchestra and realized I wasn't gonna make it. Couldn't find a cup, but there was an empty Windex bottle, thank god! Thankfully I'm pretty good on stage, I think I sweat a lot, so I tend to go less often.

MacBook Pro running MainStage and various plugins (NI and other)
Arturia Keylab88, Crumar Mojo61, Seaboard Rise49, Vortex Keytar, Trumpet

#2968395 - 01/11/19 02:46 PM Re: OT: Just before the gig I . . . [Re: EricBarker]
El Lobo Offline
Platinum Member

Tell myself, as I load gear into the car, that I'm grateful that at my age that I still get to play rock 'n' roll with good players. And tell myself that this is what I wanted to do.*

*so I can't complain about the drive, load-in, and set up, then the break down, load out, and drive home

#2968396 - 01/11/19 02:49 PM Re: OT: Just before the gig I . . . [Re: EricBarker]
The Real MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Secluded Tranquil NY Wine Coun...
...detune just one string on each of the guitar player's guitars
...adjust the EQ on the singer's monitors so they can't hear themselves no matter how much they plead the soundman MORE MONITOR
...replace one of the short patch cables in the guitarist's densely populated pedalboard with one that doesn't work
...loosen the legs on the drummer's throne
...stuff napkins under the strings of the bass guitar at the bridge, which muffles the sound
...pour milk down the bell of the sax player's horn

Did I ever mention I'm a better comedian than a keyboardist?

#2968512 - 01/12/19 12:28 PM Re: OT: Just before the gig I . . . [Re: The Real MC]
Zalman Stern Offline

Originally Posted By: The Real MC
...adjust the EQ on the singer's monitors so they can't hear themselves no matter how much they plead the soundman MORE MONITOR
...replace one of the short patch cables in the guitarist's densely populated pedalboard with one that doesn't work
...stuff napkins under the strings of the bass guitar at the bridge, which muffles the sound

...think about how Jordan Rudess has an entire staff to take care of this sort of thing and as soon as the band makes it big, hiring crew to handle tedious pre-gig prep is top priority.

-Z-

#2968596 - 01/12/19 11:27 PM Re: OT: Just before the gig I . . . [Re: Zalman Stern]
kanker. Offline
KCFF League Champ '13
10k Club

Loc: Indy
I like to lay in the bed and rub lotion on my body (approximately 30 minutes before the downbeat).

#2968666 - 01/13/19 11:40 AM Re: OT: Just before the gig I . . . [Re: kanker.]
mate stubb Offline
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

Originally Posted By: kanker.
I like to lay in the bed and rub lotion on my body (approximately 30 minutes before the downbeat).

Good to see you back Kevin!

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2968668 - 01/13/19 12:33 PM Re: OT: Just before the gig I . . . [Re: kanker.]
ChiefDanG Online   content

Loc: Nashville, TN

Maybe TMI, but nice to hear from you. Always liked your humorous and/or insightful posts.
Are you still an enemy of the Pats?

#2968678 - 01/13/19 01:58 PM Re: OT: Just before the gig I . . . [Re: ChiefDanG]
Jazz+ Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Breathe, smile, and go slowly... clear my mind and enter the "flow"...

#2968696 - 01/13/19 04:49 PM Re: OT: Just before the gig I . . . [Re: Jazz+]
rickp Offline

Thank God for where I am and for intersecting my path with some really great musicians.

An attitude of gratitude puts me in exactly the frame of mind I need to hit the stage.

Itís an old habit.

#2969224 - 01/16/19 03:03 AM Re: OT: Just before the gig I . . . [Re: kanker.]
stoken6 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Hey - Mr Anker's back! thu

Cheers, Mike.

#2969244 - 01/16/19 06:12 AM Re: OT: Just before the gig I . . . [Re: stoken6]
RudyS Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Groningen, The netherlands
Originally Posted By: stoken6

Hey - Mr Anker's back! thu

Cheers, Mike.

Yes! Welcome back Kanker!

#2969256 - 01/16/19 06:57 AM Re: OT: Just before the gig I . . . [Re: The Real MC]
Synthoid Offline
10k Club

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted By: The Real MC

Did I ever mention I'm a better comedian than a keyboardist?

Excellent! laugh

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner