Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

new Vox Continental - Some thoughts

• 1 month later...

To answer my own question: Yes, you can remove the badge. It is glued with some tape to the housing that can carefully be lifted and be removed. However the badge sits in two holes that hold two pins that are on the backside of the badge. :(

So, either the most ugly badge in the universe on your board or two holes, you can choose. ok, I will (have to) get used to it.Not sure what the better option is yet...

Beside that the board is a gem. The keybed is amazing. Very fast but also very responsive to articulation for the pianos. Can't wait to play my first gig with it.

I'm finding the touch sensors don't work so well for filter cutoff and resonance, too steppy. That's a disappointment. But the synth section is pretty basic anyway, not intended as a substitute for even a simple VA.

I can not second that. I have measured the midi messages from the touchstrips and they are not steppy at all. All 128 values get recognized and sent when you move your finger slowly across the bar. So if you think that MIDI is steppy - and it is compared to an analog knob on an analog synth - than I get your point. But the amount of control it offers for the synth sounds is great imo. And they send midi. I'll use that to control the drawbars of the gallileo organ on my iPad (and other synth parameters).

I also think the organ may not be for everyones taste. It may be a good emulation of the CX-3 which I can not verify since I do not know what to compare to (I don't have a CX-3). I can only compare it to other (software) Hammond clones and my T500. It definately does not sound like a B3 or a Hammond at all. Not for you if you want a Hammond. But definately still a good organ in its own right.

One thing that is really great and fun is the analog synth (model) engine thing that is in it. *All* the lead synth sounds are so well sounding in my ears and so much fun to be played with the pitchbender. And the synth controls with the touchbars is so absolutely emediate and easy to use that I stopped to miss the (missing) modulation wheel since you can control the LFO just with a stroke on the touchstrip. The cutoff/resonance can be really biting and you got a portamento switch. Much control to shape your sound.

I read the complaints about the *only* 16 scenes that can be saved. I think its fair to say that this means 16 (user) presets in each category - organ, e-pianao, a-piano and "other", which would make up 64 custom presets. Still not much nowadays but for me enough for all setlists I have played over the years.

I'll go with the holes in my housing until I have found another more appropriate badge to glue over them. Still I think that the worst thing of the board is this dog badge. Its like hanging Santa Claus a sign around his neck that reads "Santa Claus". Must be a Japanese thing - if they only had asked their western customers or just made it removable. The board would be so good looking with just a plain orange corner where this dog (or holes) sit now... really this is too bad.

And I want an editor for all this nice stuff that is going on under the hood.

• 2 weeks later...
I read through this thread quickly, but my question is, for those of you that own this, what motivates you. The farfisa and vox are pretty well covered on many boards, the B3, and AP voices are only so-so. I grew up owning a farfisa and a vox and hated the sound of them. Still hate the way they sound.

Well, I dropped the hammer on a 73. I got a seriously great internet price on a new unit with the stand and pedal - and just could not say no.

So...with a few days of hands-on time with my Vox Continental, I am more and more impressed with this keyboard. Really loving the piano and EP's...moreso than the same sounds on my well loved Nord Electro 4 73. The organs are pretty good after some tweaking, and will serve as a "sort of B3" in a pinch, but they are nowhere near the neighborhood of the Nord. But I knew that coming in, of course. I bought it to complement and backup the Nord - not to replace it. And partly for sentiment, as I first live gigged as a kid with an old, original Continental. I have to say, those Vox and Farfisa sounds really rock!

For a blues or Soul gig there's no comparison, the Nord will do it better. hands down. But for gigs needing synths and pads - or with heavy epiano focus- the Vox is the new go-to guy.

As I always bring a spare keyboard to a gig, so adding this board is kind of a wealth of riches...the best of both worlds. I can't think of much I couldn't cover now with one board or the other.

Also, really loving the ease of use of the effects, the super simple layering, the quality and the footprint and weight. It's the most solid, lightest rig I have ever played. Great pedal, too.

Still need a lot more time at the wheel, but loving it so far (and I actually don't hate the touchpads as much as I expected. They are really quite cool...!)

Is the Vox just a re-purposing of the Grandstage from a physical prospective or do you get something different here?
Sonically, I think the Vox is a subset of the Grandstage, except for having more organ sounds. Though it's hard be sure whether all the non-organ sounds among the Vox' 150 are contained within the 500 of the Grandstage, as they don't necessarily have the same names.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Quick question for 73 key version owners:

What are the dimensions of the flat areas on the top to the left and right off the controls? I'm trying figure out what other gear I can set up there.

Thanks!

Right-hand space is roughly 7" x 14" (not counting the bulldog badge); right-hand space is about 5" wide.

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73

• 2 weeks later...

First thoughts: this is a gigging board for players who don't want or use a stack of keyboards. I play both guitar and keys in our band so this board is perfect since it covers the big three (piano, Rhodes, B3) and has enough basic samples like strings and things should I need them. It's light and easy to set up.

If I was only a keyboardist I'd likely bring along another board to supplement this one - it's not a total solution for a serious keyboardist. Not many boards are, especially in this price range. But it's a lot of fun and for sports bar-type performances, it's all you need.

perfect since it covers the big three (piano, Rhodes, B3) and has enough basic samples like strings and things should I need them. It's light

Yes it covers that scenario well (if you don't need splits). Especially if you want more than 61 keys. There are some even lighter weight competitors, more now than when the Vox was released (Juno DS76, MODX7, NumaCompact 2X), but the Vox probably meets-or-beats them all specifically in its piano/EP/organ sounds and action and the immediacy of its interface. Those other boards are all much more flexible, but if you happen to need just what the Vox does (which are very common needs), it does those things nicely, in sound, feel, and simplicity.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I've had it for awhile and here are some random thoughts:

--Build quality is generally good. The power adapter connection unfortunately is one of those flimsy ones that you feel could break at any time. The Crumar Mojo has the same problem. This is probably my biggest "touring" concern.

--The keyboard seems solid. It's better than the Electro, feels a little more weighted, although I'm sure it isn't. The board itself is super light.

--The Organs are all fine and suitable for live performance. The EPs - not as good as the SV-1 but this maybe because of that board's weighted keyboard. The acoustic pianos are ok, not as good as Nord's but serviceable. The big key/layer section has lots to choose from, including a surprising amount of lead and synth sounds, plus lots of brass and even a few flutes. The strings are a little weak - no big M1 strings sound that would be nice.

--There is no software interface. I suppose one isn't needed, since all you can configure are 16 presets ("scenes"), and Vox apparently isn't going to provide firmware or sound updates. This has to be one of the last boards that isn't going to have some kind of interaction with software. Even the SV-1 had one.

I'm gigging with this board in about a month - that will be its premiere. I'm pleased with ease of use and the logical way the scenes are laid out - there's no digital screen but you don't really need one with just 16 presets (and that's plenty). Plus there are scads of built-in sounds to play with.

That's just my speculation, based on the fact that there is no software or interface built-in to the Vox Continental to install an update. Unless I'm missing something.

Crumar has you put a file on a flash drive and plug it into the board. Then you log into the board itself on its own wireless network to load the update. Vox has no such functionality in their Continental.

Nord and the SV-1 have computer software that read your board through a USB connection - and you can make all sorts of adjustments and updates that way. Again, nothing like that for Vox - unless it's coming, but I think it would be here by now.

Right, there is definitely a USB connection. According to the manual, the type-A is for saving and loading scenes to a flash drive and type-B is for updating firmware and also exchanging MIDI. So, an editor and new sounds down the road would be very possible. Of course, that doesn't mean it will happen. Too wishful to hope for an announcement at this winter NAMM 2019?

I also wonder if they will ever be able to add actual splits in an update. They never did with the SV-1. They just added a few (literally just 2 or 3 I think) preset sounds with the split already baked in to the sound. So it wasn't functional if you wanted anything other than those.

A guy can dream (of not shelling out for a Kronos...)

;)

• 2 weeks later...
That's just my speculation, based on the fact that there is no software or interface built-in to the Vox Continental to install an update.

There are boards that update simply if a file of the correct name is on an attached flash drive at boot. The Vox could easily have that, but there would be no need to document it until/unless they make an update available.

I also wonder if they will ever be able to add actual splits in an update. They never did with the SV-1. They just added a few (literally just 2 or 3 I think) preset sounds with the split already baked in to the sound.

It would seem potentially more do-able in the Continental, since at least it already has the architecture to play (layer) two sounds, and it already has a split function (for Vox/CX3 engines)

That's just my speculation, based on the fact that there is no software or interface built-in to the Vox Continental to install an update.

There are boards that update simply if a file of the correct name is on an attached flash drive at boot. The Vox could easily have that, but there would be no need to document it until/unless they make an update available.

That's exactly how it works. I applied the 1.0.1 OS update in this way; the capability for updates is definitely present. Check this Support page: http://voxamps.com/Support and select "Vox Continental" from the dropdown...

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73

Is the Vox just a re-purposing of the Grandstage from a physical prospective or do you get something different here?

They are siblings. Its actually the same hardware with different knobs. I have not opened mine up but it would be interesting to see the boards of the two side by side. The VOX has a smaller SSD and it has overall more controls for the sounds. Obviously the organ drawbars. But also 9 band equalizer instead of 3 and the drawbars also offer controls for the synth sounds. I have tested them side by side, and the two grands of the VOX are definately also in the Grandstange and the EPs are the same. Synth sounds differ since there are also some Wavesequence sounds in the Grandstage not so in the VOX. I made this montage in Photoshop and layered the rear panels of the two. Its identical down to the screws.

http://www.render1.de/images/Grandvox.jpg

If I was only a keyboardist I'd likely bring along another board to supplement this one - it's not a total solution for a serious keyboardist. Not many boards are, especially in this price range. But it's a lot of fun and for sports bar-type performances, it's all you need.

I have an iPad on top of this and so literally every sound I can imagine at hand. That is the light version.

Guys how can you like this keyboard for something more than electric pianos?Accoustic pianos are bad , B3/Lesie is much worse and thinner than Nord's one and ''other'' sounds are not that good and plenty.Come on it doesn't even have a simple warm pad sound or a decent brass sound.And the most important thing!I was shocked when i found out that Farfisa and Vox sounds are really ''toy like'' and not that fat.Especially farfisa sound.I mean that this keyboard was created for it's Vox/Farfisa (or it should be) sound but they are not that good at all compared to a Nord.It's a really beautifyl instrument but i think you can find these sounds on Mainstage/VST.Anyway really nice feeling on rhodes/wurli sounds but nothing more!

After replacing my Electro 4 for a few gigs with the Vox, I brought both to a show last night. The Nord has been my go-to board for years, and I got the Vox as a backup...since I always have a spare but didn't want another Nord.

After playing the Vox pretty much solely for a few weeks, I was really surprised to find what a bid difference the longer keys make for me. I used the Nord mostly for organ last night - and the keys felt absolutely stubby in comparison. The Vox was my board of choice for all my EP and AP sounds, and even for a bit of organ - it just felt more comfortable.

In comparison, the keybed of the Nord felt far more responsive and springy for fast organ runs, but wow... did the keys feel little to me!

Combined though, these two made for a killer rig. And it never fails that someone will come over to talk about the Vox. Apparently the old Continental has many fans quite happy to see a reissue out there...