Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OT: Distracting Wackiness #2967275
01/06/19 06:09 PM
01/06/19 06:09 PM
Discovery Bay, California
G
GregC Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
GregC  Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
G

https://medium.com/@rcormack/waiting-for-the-wackiness-a05f13708e01

How Facebook and Instagram distract us with selfies, bad behaviour and weird dog pictures.

“If you’ve got distractions in front of you, your mind goes nuts.” Simon Cowell

It’s nice to imagine life without distractions, enjoying peaceful days in thoughtful meditation, pondering our existence. Unfortunately, we love being distracted. We’d be babbling fools, pulling spaghetti out our noses, if it weren’t for the internet and texting.

We don’t mind meditating, doing yoga, maybe going for a walk. What we domind is long, uninterrupted silences. Even yoga instructors have the decency to talk while we’re scrunching ourselves into calming positions. Why are they calming? Because they’re cutting off our circulation. Drowning people also go through a state of calm. It’s called not having oxygen.

Distractions give us a sense of normalcy. We spend an average of 5 hours a day scrolling, doing screen grabs, commenting on dogs snuggling cats. There’s a fullness to being online, a sense of completeness. We’re where the action is.
Think of the frustration we experience when the power goes out. We stare at our blank computer screens. We get antsy. We go to the washroom.

Fortunately, the power usually comes back on before we start doing puppet shows with oven mitts. This happens a lot after hurricanes. Survivors have been found in their kitchens doing Punch and Judy meet Goodfellas.

What’s the first thing we do when we get in a hotel room? We plug in our phones and laptops. Letting a battery run down is seriously stupid. What are you going to do with a dead phone or laptop? Some people go to the movies. Two hours is usually all you need to recharge a battery. Most movies are two hours. That’s not a coincidence.

Last edited by GregC; 01/06/19 11:48 PM.

Innovation is never a single event. It is a long process of discovery, engineering, and transformation.
My Soundcloud with many originals:
https://soundcloud.com/user-898236994
GP Island
Re: OT: Distracting Wackiness [Re: GregC] #2967278
01/06/19 06:12 PM
01/06/19 06:12 PM
G
GregC Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
GregC  Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
G

One night a young man from the audience went up on stage just before the evening’s performance. He tried to plug his phone into the outlet. It was a fake outlet. Some patrons were outraged. The young man’s response? “I had two gorgeous girls trying to call me,” he said. It made the internet the same night. One million hits.
A few days later, he tweeted, “My parents are seriously pissed, but that theatre should thank me. I gave them a lot of publicity.” He obviously knows how the internet works. Stupidity sells more than product placement.
A woman was caught asking for money online for her cancer treatments. She showed pictures of herself with a bald head. Three million hits. Authorities checked into it. She didn’t have cancer. That got even more hits.

Who can drive when your steering wheel has more buttons than a sound studio? I see a day when instrument panels will have full church organs.

We can laugh, we can be outraged, but we love distractions. They remind us that the world is a complicated place. Anything can happen. The reason we check social media each day is to confirm life’s unpredictable wackiness. When it’s not wacky, we’re seriously disappointed. We go to the washroom.

So much of what we do requires distractions. Cars are now outfitted with everything from televisions in the headrests, to plug-in UPS ports for downloading your music library. No wonder we’re moving to driverless cars. Who can drive when steering wheels have more buttons than a sound studio? I see a day when instrument panels will have full church organs.

With all this going on, no wonder yoga studios and meditation retreats are full. Even Don Draper on Mad Men went to a retreat. Okay, he was thinking of a Coke commercial the whole time, but at least he had his legs crossed.

There’s big money in retreats. Millions are spent each year finding calm and serenity. Some retreats have full-time medical masseuses. Others stick you in a bath of ground-up sea weed or run a pestle around a glass bowl.

You don’t see many selfies of this. Most retreats ask you to leave all electronic devices at the front desk. They also have signs saying: “No sex.” People complain about leaving their devices. Strangely, few complain about having no sex. Something’s wrong when sex takes a back seat to sea weed.

When Tony La Russo said, “There are always distractions, if you let them,” are we letting distractions run our lives? Are we distracting rather applying ourselves? Does one necessarily rule out the other?

We remember the Chubby Chicken deal at A&W, but forget we’re married.
If we’re to believe Susan Weinschenk Ph.D., writing in Psychology Today, many of us are losing up to 40% of our productivity through distractions. Supposely, this plays havoc with our pre-frontal cortexes.

It seems our prefrontal cortexes were never designed for the type of cerebral hopscotching we engage in every day. Our brains don’t have time to process. This is called “maladjusted preoccupation.” We remember the Chubby Chicken deal at A&W, but forget we’re married.

If we heap all the emails, phone messages, texts —;together we realize this is “cerebral avoidance.” We’re all guilty of distracting rather than applying ourselves. If we weren’t, we’d be inventing stuff. Less than point one percent of the population invents things. The rest of us just buy stuff.

Since there’s little chance of us giving up our phones or our internet, there are ways we can at least cut down on the clutter that’s making us forget we’re married. Here are a few:

It’s Still Just a Dog: First of all, stop going to Facebook every time someone sends you a notification. The last one said: “Did you see the dog? He reminds me of Spiro Agnew.” Guess what? Most dogs look like Spiro Agnew. Nixon only made him Vice President so he’d appeal to dog owners.

Grow a Pair: I mean a pair of ears. Learn to separate “noise” from “useful information.” Once you’re able to distinguish between the two, you’ll see a definite improvement in your cognitive reasoning. You’ll also discover that Golden Retrievers look like Bob Newhart. This is “deductive reasoning.”

The Three Ball Limit: There’s no shame in admitting you can’t do six things at once. I can handle typing, but add phone calls, texts, or a dog that looks like Bob Newhart, and my productivity descends to the level of a hamster.

Get Out More: Stop thinking the internet shows all of life’s wackiness. Not everything ends on YouTube. Most purse snatchings don’t. Neither does most sex. If you turned off your computer, you’d notice these things.

Last edited by GregC; 01/06/19 06:56 PM.

Innovation is never a single event. It is a long process of discovery, engineering, and transformation.
Re: OT: Distracting Wackiness [Re: GregC] #2967286
01/06/19 07:04 PM
01/06/19 07:04 PM
G
GregC Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
GregC  Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
G

I don't care for FakeBook, social media, etc.

I use to think social media was a Millenial obsession.

Not true. I connected with my 8th grade graduation class last summer.

Several of my classmates were nutso on FB. They are 66,67 yrs of age.

Act no different than my
local millennials blabbing about traffic, how to kill ants, Mexican food advice, their selfie trips, and adorable chill-uns.

Last edited by GregC; 01/06/19 07:05 PM.

Re: OT: Distracting Wackiness [Re: GregC] #2967382
01/07/19 09:41 AM
01/07/19 09:41 AM
Japan
S
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
skipclone 1  Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
S

Japan
This is a serious issue in fact, and it has harmful effects on anything that requires focused study-like music.
On the other hand....I`m not sure how to put this but, frankly some members of the population are better at multitasking than others. It`s kind of a stereotype too, I leave you to your own conclusions.
I remember the advice I used to get about distractions-`just tune it out`. Somehow it seemed easy when I first heard it. Now it sounds more like, ignore a plane crash in a hurricane.

Last edited by skipclone 1; 01/07/19 09:42 AM.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491
Re: OT: Distracting Wackiness [Re: GregC] #2967383
01/07/19 09:44 AM
01/07/19 09:44 AM
Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
whitefang Offline
10k Club
whitefang  Offline
10k Club

Since I DON'T waste my time and effort "dumbing down" with either FaceBook OR Instagram, what distracts me is the "old school" types. Like an attractive young lady walking down the street in tight, short pants while I'm driving my car, another car weaving and swerving crazily on the same road, and when the power goes out, well, that's when( to us) an ACOUSTIC guitar comes in handy! wink

And, +1,000 on FB not being a "millennial obsession". One of my wife's sisters( less than a year younger than me) is RABIDLY obsessed, and got my wife to try it, but she(my wife) didn't see what she could accomplish on it that wasn't already possible with a telephone, e-mail and regular photographs. I tried it for a very short time and quickly got tired of all the bad spelling and grammar, along with the all too gratuitous and phony sounding PC sincerity. More like a DWEEB convention to me. wink
Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!
Re: OT: Distracting Wackiness [Re: skipclone 1] #2967433
01/07/19 01:27 PM
01/07/19 01:27 PM
G
GregC Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
GregC  Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
G

Originally Posted By: skipclone 1
This is a serious issue in fact, and it has harmful effects on anything that requires focused study-like music.
On the other hand....I`m not sure how to put this but, frankly some members of the population are better at multitasking than others. It`s kind of a stereotype too, I leave you to your own conclusions.

Wife is a grammar school teacher. She and her teacher friends see the ' tech effect' of the quick synapse wired into the impressionable brains of young children.
Due to addictive video games, iPads, social media, smart phone, heavy usage- impacts the ability to focus on more complex tasks. Which demand a more calm and studied approach.

The teachers see much more ADD/ADHD and aggressive behavior. And its not the chill-uns fault. The parents are often worse and shove their kids into the devices, games, social media, etc.

Teachers cannot easily counter act this ' brain wiring '. And their job is to teach , not be child therapists. Its a rough deal.

Re: OT: Distracting Wackiness [Re: whitefang] #2967435
01/07/19 01:33 PM
01/07/19 01:33 PM
G
GregC Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
GregC  Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
G

Originally Posted By: whitefang
Since I DON'T waste my time and effort "dumbing down" with either FaceBook OR Instagram, what distracts me is the "old school" types. Like an attractive young lady walking down the street in tight, short pants while I'm driving my car, another car weaving and swerving crazily on the same road, and when the power goes out, well, that's when( to us) an ACOUSTIC guitar comes in handy! wink

And, +1,000 on FB not being a "millennial obsession". One of my wife's sisters( less than a year younger than me) is RABIDLY obsessed, and got my wife to try it, but she(my wife) didn't see what she could accomplish on it that wasn't already possible with a telephone, e-mail and regular photographs. I tried it for a very short time and quickly got tired of all the bad spelling and grammar, along with the all too gratuitous and phony sounding PC sincerity. More like a DWEEB convention to me. wink
Whitefang

LOL

You could write a song about the stylin' young lady distracting motorists on the road. wink

Us older folks should have a clue. But common sense is not common. Women flashing cleavage photos on FakeBook is asking for attention.

Telling the world you and family is going on vacation on FB is stupid- almost everyone uses full 1st/last name. Any stupid crook can google a persons name and verify street address.

Nutz.

Last edited by GregC; 01/07/19 01:34 PM.

Re: OT: Distracting Wackiness [Re: GregC] #2967634
01/08/19 05:28 AM
01/08/19 05:28 AM
Japan
S
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
skipclone 1  Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
S

Japan
Well in fairness, even if FB originally had more cynical motivations in mind, I for one have very close friends in very far places. There are very few platforms to exchange text, photos, video and music files in one swoop.
I often compare FB to a pet dragon. If you learn how to control it, it is good to have. If you don`t, it will turn around and fry you.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491
Re: OT: Distracting Wackiness [Re: GregC] #2967655
01/08/19 10:31 AM
01/08/19 10:31 AM
whitefang Offline
10k Club
whitefang  Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: GregC
You could write a song about the stylin' young lady distracting motorists on the road. wink

Actually, it WAS how a good friend of mine met his wife of now 48 years. Was too busy watching her strut down the street and hit a utility pole. laugh She, hearing the crash, turned back to see what happened and was there long enough to see him point at HER and loudly tell the cop, "It's all HER FAULT for walking down the street LOOKING SO GOOD!" wink

She was so flattered she stuck around and accepted his invitation of a date. All these years later( and four really great kids) they're STILL going strong. And she indeed DID, and STILL does look good! wink
Whitefang

Re: OT: Distracting Wackiness [Re: whitefang] #2967688
01/08/19 01:21 PM
01/08/19 01:21 PM
no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
D
d / halfnote Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
d / halfnote  Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
D

Interesting that you open by quoting Simon Cowell, a cat whose entire career rests on his skillful manipulation of trivial distractions, although not as malevolently as some others (who'll go nameless here).

As has been pointed out
The Information Age is not the same as The Age of Wisdom.
Discernment is a skill as rare as ever...perhaps more so.

d=halfnote
Re: OT: Distracting Wackiness [Re: d / halfnote] #2967712
01/08/19 02:32 PM
01/08/19 02:32 PM
G
GregC Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
GregC  Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
G

Originally Posted By: d
Interesting that you open by quoting Simon Cowell, a cat whose entire career rests on his skillful manipulation of trivial distractions, although not as malevolently as some others (who'll go nameless here).

As has been pointed out
The Information Age is not the same as The Age of Wisdom.
Discernment is a skill as rare as ever...perhaps more so.

I know, I would;t have thought Mr Cowell was a deep thinker. Or maybe
its was said in context of getting performers to focus.

Great 2 sentences in your post. I will quote you on that, wise man

Re: OT: Distracting Wackiness [Re: GregC] #2967886
01/09/19 09:53 AM
01/09/19 09:53 AM
whitefang Offline
10k Club
whitefang  Offline
10k Club

Cowell a "deep thinker"? freak

Reminds me of a statement made by DICK VAN DYKE as ROB PETRI on his iconic TV show....

Disgusted at some of the things neighbor and( supposedly) good friend Jerry has been saying and doing, he responded to Jerry's wife Millie going on about how "deep" Jerry is, "Oh, my Jerry is SO deep!"

Van Dyke's line was, "Jerry's not DEEP, he's THICK!" roll

So, IS Cowell a "deep thinker", or...... wink
Whitefang

Re: OT: Distracting Wackiness [Re: whitefang] #2967902
01/09/19 11:37 AM
01/09/19 11:37 AM
G
GregC Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
GregC  Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
G

Cowell a "deep thinker"? freak

Reminds me of a statement made by DICK VAN DYKE as ROB PETRI on his iconic TV show....

Disgusted at some of the things neighbor and( supposedly) good friend Jerry has been saying and doing, he responded to Jerry's wife Millie going on about how "deep" Jerry is, "Oh, my Jerry is SO deep!"

So, IS Cowell a "deep thinker", or...... wink
Whitefang

we can forget about Mr Cowell.

We have to share our knowledge of history...

http://admin.brain-sharper.com/entertainment/dick-van-dyke-secrets-ob/

Surprising Facts From Behind The Scenes Of The Dick Van Dyke Show

Dick Van Dyke initially didn’t want Mary Tyler Moore to play his wife. With an 11 year age difference, he felt that Mary was just a bit too young for the part.

...the main character came down to a decision between Johnny Carson and Dick Van Dyke. While Carson may have been turned down for the role of Rob Petrie, he would go on to do alright for himself.

Re: OT: Distracting Wackiness [Re: GregC] #2968092
01/10/19 09:41 AM
01/10/19 09:41 AM
whitefang Offline
10k Club
whitefang  Offline
10k Club

Well, you found a way to distract from the main line of thought, eh? wink
Whitefang

Re: OT: Distracting Wackiness [Re: whitefang] #2968489
01/12/19 03:43 PM
01/12/19 03:43 PM
D
d / halfnote Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
d / halfnote  Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
D

Well, you found a way to distract from the main line of thought, eh? wink
Whitefang

U & me too, eh ?

d=halfnote
Re: OT: Distracting Wackiness [Re: whitefang] #2968490
01/12/19 03:49 PM
01/12/19 03:49 PM
D
d / halfnote Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
d / halfnote  Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
D

Sorry, SGirl, but that line had nothing to do w/ the appararent plot....

d=halfnote
Re: OT: Distracting Wackiness [Re: d / halfnote] #2968514
01/12/19 05:45 PM
01/12/19 05:45 PM
Waialua, Hi
S
surfergirl Offline
surfergirl  Offline
S

Waialua, Hi
rolleyes I grew up in a house full of surfers. Surfers make rockers look like choir boys.

That was a stupid statement, I do not know enough rockers to compare. My bad.

Last edited by surfergirl; 01/12/19 10:55 PM.

Jenny S.
Re: OT: Distracting Wackiness [Re: surfergirl] #2968515
01/12/19 05:48 PM
01/12/19 05:48 PM
D
d / halfnote Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
d / halfnote  Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
D