Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any GSI Gemini Rack users out there? Verdict?

In my research, I stumbled on a GSI Gemini Rack. Seems like it would be pretty awesome way to get bread and butter sounds live in a rugged format.

I've read the user manual and it seems like a pretty unique instrument. It seems like you can edit your presets using a computer, store them and load them to the unit and then use the unit live without being hooked up to a computer.

There's not much on YouTube on the GSI Gemini Rack. Any users out there care to give their feedback on how they like it because it looks pretty awesome and would like to hear how you like it! Thanks!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The rack is the same engine as the desktop and the DMC122 expansion card. You should be able to find additional posts and Youtube vids on those. The sound quality is excellent and most instruments are highly tweakable.

I use the Gemini desk top (same as the rack, different housing). You don't need a computer to edit (i've never used a computer to do the edits); you can use your phone or a Pad. the Gemini transmits a WIFI signal, you connect to it via wifi first, then go to your browser on your phone w/ an IP address of 192.168.1.1. once connected you do your edits via the phone, save, done....

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I have the desk top version and give it a thumbs up for sure.

The sounds are great except for the acoustic grand piano, I just can't tweak it to my liking, but as previously mentioned changes are coming.

GSI has continued to update and improve the product for free which is always a good thing.

The analog synth based sounds are a step up from my Kurzweil which is one of the reasons I bought it.

You do need a good controller like the Kurzweil pc3k to maximize the midi functionality,and there aren't many better than the Kurz in that regard.

I've modified one of the Rhodes in the GSI to replicate The Doors Riders on the Storm and it is superb,... almost worth the price alone.

Kurzweil PC3K8/ GSI Gemini Desktop/ ESI UNIK 8+ monitors/ QSC K8.2/ Radial Key Largo/ CPS Spacestation 

dB had the tabletop set up for demos at Gearfest last year. I got to play it, but more importantly hear others on this forum who are much more talented than I play it. Everyone agreed it sounds really good. Standouts are the Hammond and analog synth sounds. EP's are very good.

It was over 6 months ago since I have heard it so that's all I can come up with now.

:nopity:

Rack version here...

My go to source for organs and ep...

Incredible dsp effect layering..

Also the other engines range from usefull to extremely usefull and fun..

Easy edditing trough a html page..

In general, its the best module money can buy..

And its not really expensive

Because most of the engines use modelling it feels more organic rather than just triggering samples. The Gemini creates its sound on the fly. The module is so simple you could just hook it up and never use the editor. But the editor is straightforward and its easy to customise the sounds.

You do need a good controller to do it justice. Something with drawbars is a good choice and its interesting that GSi also make the DMC controllers. Ive been through several setups in the last few years including recently using a Nord E5D and an SL73.

I think a few forum members are using the Roland VR700 and I think this is the best setup Ive had so far. Its complicated though and relies on the Midi Solutions Event Processor but I now have a range of setups including Splits and Layers. Its beginning to feel like an instrument. Little things like using the bender for Leslie speed and dialling in percussion, overdrive etc on the VR feels great.

Heres a pic - the other set of drawbars under the Gemini is the Crumar D9U

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oknl94zawkp3ptw/IMG_2626.JPG?dl=0

dB had the tabletop set up for demos at Gearfest last year. I got to play it, but more importantly hear others on this forum who are much more talented than I play it. Everyone agreed it sounds really good. Standouts are the Hammond and analog synth sounds. EP's are very good.

It was over 6 months ago since I have heard it so that's all I can come up with now.

I had the pleasure of hanging out with Dave at Gearfest last year and agree that we were all very impressed. Upgrading the acoustic piano is presently at the top of my rig upgrade list so Im greatly looking forward to when the new AP drops.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Guido indicated that only a new sampled piano will be put in the Gemini module as the Gemini cannot run the physical model. A physical modeled piano will be put into the Seven. The Mojo 61 will not get any of the piano updates at this time.

sampled piano: https://www.facebook.com/instruments.crumar/videos/2197574977177503/

modeled piano: https://www.facebook.com/zioguido/videos/2676957408988642/

The modeled piano sounds more refined and he's not even finished tweaking it yet.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Thanks for that Dave. I have no inherent preference for sampled vs. modeled. I loved the modeled pianos in the Generalmusic Pro-2 and Promega 3 but my current favorites are the Nord samples. One thing for certain is Guidos ongoing commitment to quality, so in either case he wont quit until the end result is top notch.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

This acoustic piano sounds better than the acoustic I posted above; so he also refined the sampled piano. Sounds much better than the current sampled piano in the Gemini. Can't wait for it to hit the Gemini.

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Well here is the latest demo - I reckon Guido is determined to nail the sampled piano for the Seven/Gemini.

https://www.facebook.com/GenuineSoundware/posts/2027124584045406

This sounds very nice! I also got to hear the other Gemini sounds at Gearfest last year in Dave's booth as well, and I loved them as well. GAS definitely developing!

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

Thanks for all the responses. I'm looking really seriously at this thing.

I've read the manual online for the Gemini Rack but I'm wondering 2 things:

1) The Gemini Rack has 2 screens, looks like 2 engines-that makes sense when it's hooked up as an expander to a 2 manual organ, 1 screen/patch selector for each manual, but if hooked up to 1 keyboard controller like a Roland A-800 or something, do you just use 1 screen and ignore the other?

2) I wonder how the headroom S/n ratio of this unit is compared to a Motif Rack or similar? Hope it has higher headroom.

The Gemini Rack has 2 screens, looks like 2 engines-that makes sense when it's hooked up as an expander to a 2 manual organ, 1 screen/patch selector for each manual, but if hooked up to 1 keyboard controller like a Roland A-800 or something, do you just use 1 screen and ignore the other?

The module is bi-timbral (two sounds at once). If your one keyboard has split or layer MIDI controller functions (so it can transmit on two channels at once), you can split/layer the two Gemini sounds.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Thanks for all the responses. I'm looking really seriously at this thing.

I've read the manual online for the Gemini Rack but I'm wondering 2 things:

1) The Gemini Rack has 2 screens, looks like 2 engines-that makes sense when it's hooked up as an expander to a 2 manual organ, 1 screen/patch selector for each manual, but if hooked up to 1 keyboard controller like a Roland A-800 or something, do you just use 1 screen and ignore the other?

2) I wonder how the headroom S/n ratio of this unit is compared to a Motif Rack or similar? Hope it has higher headroom.

1) if you call up one of the DSP's for an organ program that one DSP calls up the entire organ, i.e. all three manuals are available to you. So if you plugged in via midi an upper manual, a lower manual and foot pedals and mapped the drawbars, c/v controls etc. you could play the full organ and foot pedals just from calling up that one DSP. On that DSP the top manual would be controlled via midi channel 1, the lower manual from midi channel 2 and the pedals from midi channel 3, all from DSP1. You could also elect to play just the upper manual organ only via midi channel 1 or split your keyboard into 2 zones and play the upper channel in one zone on midi channel 1 and the lower organ manual in another zone via midi channel 2. The choices are up to you.

That still leaves DSP 2 to be called up simultaneously to play any other program in the Gemini. DSP2 will receive on midi channel 4. If you have another keyboard (or the same keyboard that has zone capabilities) you could play that program if it is connected via midi to the gemini and transmits on channel 4. It will play simultaneously while the organ (all three parts) are also being played. So two programs can be played simultaneously, one from DSP 1 and one from DSP2. That is why the display shows both DSP's.

2) There are three output levels, low, medium, high. Low is -10db, medium is +4 Db and high is +10db. I run mine on +4db and use TRS cables into my mixer. I set the output on the gemini @ 1 oclock, 12 oclock being halfway, and there is plenty of head room.

From a sound quality perspective it is the best sounding piece of equipment I have yet to own, and the organ in the gemini is the crumar mojo organ. I am anxiously awaiting the new acoustic piano.

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

• 1 year later...

Reviving this nearly two-year-old thread. How is the CP-70 program in this thing? One of my bands has thrown some Genesis and Peter Gabriel at me, and the CP-70 in my Kronos is weak (at best). The organs would also be an upgrade from the CX-3 engine in the Kronos, and I recall some of the analog synth patches being very nice, as well. However, if the CP-70 isn't stellar, it would probably be a no-go.

I've sworn off modules for the past ten years, but there's some open real estate on one end of the Kronos (88-key model), where it looks like the desktop version would fit nicely. Plus Mrs. Claus would probably be open to the suggestion!

I realize this rather narrow inquiry speaks to a sparse population, and unfortunately I don't recall auditioning the CP-70 patch when I played a Gemini at Gearfest. But to anyone who owns or has played one, what say ye?

- George Bernard Shaw

unfortunately I don't recall auditioning the CP-70 patch when I played a Gemini at Gearfest. But to anyone who owns or has played one, what say ye?

Well, I remember standing next to you as you played the entire Genesis catalog (almost, anyway) at Gearfest 2019. You and dB going back and forth over fingerings. CP 70 was spot on. :cool:

If Mrs. Claus can't get you a Gemini module, the CP 70 in the Yamaha Reface CP is also spot on, albeit the footprint is different.

Thanks for that, Dave. I thought I was playing the Cumar Seven (?). Are the CP-70 programs in the Seven the same as the Gemini? If so, that would indeed be good news. And thanks for the Reface tip, that could potentially work.

- George Bernard Shaw

You were playing the Seven, Chris. Unless Guido tells me otherwise, I'm positive the sounds in the Seven and the Gemini module are the same. The module that day was midi'd into the Mojo 61 that was on top of the Seven. I am certain they all have the same sound set.

• 2 months later...
I acquired and use the rack version since 2019 and love the features. In particular I use it with a midi controller that has 9 faders (map to drawbars). All good so many parameters to emulate the Hammond sound with awesome results. My biggest issue is the weakness of the broadcast in WIFI and I recently solved that by adding a WIFI extender that works with the Gemini rack to provides greatly extended and reliable wifi connectivity. This was my second attempt at wifi extenders the first would not connect with the Gemini GSI rack so it failed, but the second extender I tried has worked great, it is the wifi 4 unit I ordered from Amazon.

1874.thumb.jpg.6710a94fc44f4e6f55c294562bfa98c9.jpg

There are also I think 2 sampled versions. Both sound good. I've not played around with the modeled version, but out of the box, it's a very direct sound, begging for processing.

I wish that there were separate stereo outputs for each of the DSPs..then, with your favorite outboard effect units, you could process each DSP separately.

Yamaha CP-80/S80/S90es/P125/DGX-670/AN1x/MOTIF XS-Rack/CS6R/Roland D-50/Prophet 5(Rev 3.3.)/OBX8/Prophet 5 (Rev 4)/OB-8/Juno-60/Jupiter-6/Studiologic Numa Organ with Neo Ventilator/Korg Kronos

I wish that there were separate stereo outputs for each of the DSPs..then, with your favorite outboard effect units, you could process each DSP separately.

I run the gemini this way when i use a leslie sim like the vent. I pan the organ to the right and other instruments to the left. Any instruments that i plan to call up on dsp1 (midi channel 1) are panned hard right in the Gemini. Instruments that i plan to call up on dsp2 (midi channel 4) are panned hard left in the Gemini. So with a little pre-planning this is easily achieved.

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

How does the Gemini organ sound through the Vent? I love to hear some audio demos..

Yamaha CP-80/S80/S90es/P125/DGX-670/AN1x/MOTIF XS-Rack/CS6R/Roland D-50/Prophet 5(Rev 3.3.)/OBX8/Prophet 5 (Rev 4)/OB-8/Juno-60/Jupiter-6/Studiologic Numa Organ with Neo Ventilator/Korg Kronos

How does the Gemini organ sound through the Vent? I love to hear some audio demos..

here's one (original Vent):

This is the Gemini with its own internal leslie:

Delaware Dave

Exit93band