Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
[ IF ALLOWED ]: True Keys (maybe also Ravenscroft) & Galaxy #2966131
01/02/19 12:16 AM
01/02/19 12:16 AM
San Francisco Bay Area
Mark Schmieder Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
Mark Schmieder  Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member

San Francisco Bay Area
I am unable to find any info at VI Labs or Galaxy Instruments site, or any forum discussions using a web search, for whether these virtual pianos can be resold or not. As with the other stuff, I'd let them go for peanuts; just administrative costs.

Express your interest, and I'll contact the vendors and hope they get back to me, knowing also that they might be slow due to catch-up mode from holidays and preparing for NAMM.

I have way more than I need and it's just wasting once-again-valuable disc space, as I am trying to go all-SSD and that's still not cheap compared to HD's.

So I am consolidating around my very newest piano libraries, having reviewed them in all genres these past few weeks and done a lot of tweaking of settings. All of these are great, but it's more than I need anymore and I'll never use them again as well as replacing them on all existing tracks.

Galaxy has the Bluethner, Steinway, and Bosendorfer, plus a second Steinway
VI Labs has True Keys for Fazioli, Bechstein, and Steinway, and also Ravenscroft

I won't know about the Ravenscroft until later tonight or end of week, but it's probably overkill for me now that I have the C. Bechstein, which is replacing a lot of other stuff at this point.

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Select J-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari
Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold Top, RS520T, T486-RB, ES295, PM2, EXL1
WX5, XK1c, Voyager
KC Island
Re: [ IF ALLOWED ]: True Keys (maybe also Ravenscroft) & Galaxy [Re: Mark Schmieder] #2966191
01/02/19 09:07 AM
01/02/19 09:07 AM
Westchester County, NY
Griswold Offline
Griswold  Offline

Westchester County, NY
PM sent

Kurzweil Forte 7, Kurzweil PC3, Kronos 61, UltraNova, Rhodes, Clavinet D6, MiniMoog, GSI Burn, ELX112Ps, SpaceStation, Assorted Weapons
Re: [ IF ALLOWED ]: True Keys (maybe also Ravenscroft) & Galaxy [Re: Griswold] #2966263
01/02/19 03:03 PM
01/02/19 03:03 PM
San Francisco Bay Area
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member

San Francisco Bay Area
Ravenscroft isn't needed either, it turns out. I'm finding the Bechstein covers most of my non-Steinway needs for brighter and more percussive piano sounds (including Fazioli and Ravenscroft as well as Yamaha), but I do occasionally still need Hammersmith (vs. VSL Synchron Pianos Steinway D), Wavesfactory Mercury, and a few others.

Griswold has dibs at this point, if I find out the vendors do allow resale, which seems likely to be case-by-case as with many other vendors who don't explicitly state one way or the other.

I've never released any material that uses anything I'm ready to part with (or used any of it live), so hopefully that will make vendors agreeable.

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Select J-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari
Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold Top, RS520T, T486-RB, ES295, PM2, EXL1
WX5, XK1c, Voyager
Re: [ IF ALLOWED ]: True Keys (maybe also Ravenscroft) & Galaxy [Re: Mark Schmieder] #2966286
01/02/19 04:25 PM
01/02/19 04:25 PM
L
LX88 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
LX88  Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
L

I would be interested in whatever you are offering regarding True Keys and especially Ravenscroft.

Admittedly, I am in the dark regarding how to install thee or what to install them in. I have never messed with software , but have heard so much about Ravenscroft etc.

Get back to me with whatever info you have if these are transferable etc.

Mark in Salem Oregon

Re: [ IF ALLOWED ]: True Keys (maybe also Ravenscroft) & Galaxy [Re: LX88] #2968575
01/12/19 11:32 PM
01/12/19 11:32 PM
San Francisco Bay Area
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member

San Francisco Bay Area
Galaxy Pianos are available but True Pianos are not. I have worked out the details with the vendor, but am super-sick and barely able to stay awake so will have to investigate details later. That is, it's a $25 license transfer fee, but I don't know whether the three Galaxy Pianos are considered one product or three. I just know that Vintage D was a separate purchase.

WX5, XK1c, Voyager
Re: [ IF ALLOWED ]: True Keys (maybe also Ravenscroft) & Galaxy [Re: Mark Schmieder] #2968929
01/15/19 01:59 AM
01/15/19 01:59 AM
San Francisco Bay Area
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member

San Francisco Bay Area
I forgot to update this due to being so sick.

The Galaxy pianos are treated as one product for the suite of three.

Vintage D was always a separate product, so is a separate license transfer. That one represents a 1920 D274 model (Hamburg).

The suite of 3 is of course the other Steinway (the modern D270, Hamburg), along with the 1929 Bluethner Model 150 Baby Grand (1929, Leipzig), and the Bosendorfer Imperial 290.

Although the Bluethner is fairly unique in the sampling world, I can live without it, as I am wedded to the new Vienna Synchron Pianos and the C. Bechstein Digital Grand.

Given that the Galaxy stuff is two products (the suite of 3, and the Vintage D), they don't have to be sold together. It's a simple $25 transfer fee for either one, via Best Service (a great web store for virtual instruments).

I also found out that anything I bought with Best Service can be resold, so the PSound stuff might be up for sale too, once I review whether I'm still using any of it after some recent new library purchases that may have made it redundant.

If you see anything else at Best Service that you'd like, just let me know. It is definitely the case though, that the majority of what I've bought with them are not only in my top tier (like Galaxy Pianos) but still in my everyday use pool.

WX5, XK1c, Voyager
Re: [ IF ALLOWED ]: True Keys (maybe also Ravenscroft) & Galaxy [Re: Mark Schmieder] #2969590
01/17/19 07:28 PM
01/17/19 07:28 PM
San Francisco Bay Area
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member

San Francisco Bay Area
For clarification, the transfer fee is in Euros (25 of them) but might be set on par for dollars. We'd have to check this at the time, to make sure, so my no-profit fee would range from $30 (best case scenario) to $40 (worst case scenario) to cover the current exchange rate, currency transfer fees, and PayPal fees.

Both Galaxy products are once again available as the previous buyers both backed out due to other priorities.

Separate transactions are required for both, at the Best Service side of things, but I would be the one handling that, so it could still be one transaction at my end, if someone wants both.

WX5, XK1c, Voyager
Re: [ IF ALLOWED ]: True Keys (maybe also Ravenscroft) & Galaxy [Re: Mark Schmieder] #2970111
01/19/19 11:27 PM
01/19/19 11:27 PM
San Francisco Bay Area
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member

San Francisco Bay Area
Some lessons learned today when I sold the Vintage D license.

Turns out the three other libraries from Galaxy were purchased independently of each other vs. as a suite, as it was during a two-for-one sale so I bought one pair, then the third paired with another product of similar or lower price.

Even so, these go for $259 for the suite, and $115 each when bought individually, so you'd still save money by paying for the license transfer of my copies, but just be aware that it would be three transactions at the Best Service end due to separate licenses for each (it could still be one bundled transaction at our end).

Also, it looks like they either pre-adjust for the dollar transfer fee, or set it on par with the Euro currency, or perhaps subtract a VAT fee, as my transfer fee for Vintage D today was slightly less than the expected amount.

So I could probably safely let go of the suite of three Galaxy pianos (German Baby Grand, Steinway, and Vienna Grand) for a total of $85.

Sorry for the earlier confusion; I thought I had these registered as a suite vs. as three individual products, but checked both my account info and the original sales receipts just now to confirm otherwise.

I also don't need the full (not light) Voyager Drums if interested. Same transfer fee. I just don't like using Kontakt for drums, as it slows me down considerably due to having a specific workflow with Superior. But it's an extremely well-recorded drum package; one of the better ones out there.

WX5, XK1c, Voyager

Moderated by  Dave Bryce, Joe Muscara