Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2966110 - 01/01/19 04:58 PM Duncan Twin Tube Is In The House
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Received it Monday from the kiddo back east. I put the Duncan Twin Tube Classic in my pedal board this afternoon, went to the in-laws house for roast beef dinner at 2:00 PM and came home by 3:30 PM. Then I did a normal practice session using the Duncan for overdrives. Nice but not as cool as the old Nady TD-1. It will do however, for as long as I keep playing, or until it dies.
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

GP Island
#2966126 - 01/01/19 06:49 PM Re: Duncan Twin Tube Is In The House [Re: desertbluesman]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
At least you have a pedal that will work for you until you find that Nady TD-1 that you like. Maybe you could run a Wanted ad on Craigslist and/or find a used one some day... cool

#2966192 - 01/02/19 04:08 AM Re: Duncan Twin Tube Is In The House [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
As my sister's husband's(and hers) last name is Duncan, and another brother in law's FIRST name is also Duncan, I thought you were reporting your house was invaded by a couple of drunks! wink grin

#2966300 - 01/02/19 12:05 PM Re: Duncan Twin Tube Is In The House [Re: whitefang]
d / halfnote Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Here's what too much turkey will do for ya...
I spent several moments tryna figure out how DBM even had a house after he'd mortgaged it to buy one of those amps when it finally dawned on me I'd mistaken Duncan for Dumble... hitt

Good on ya, Pal ! rawk

#2966316 - 01/02/19 12:53 PM Re: Duncan Twin Tube Is In The House [Re: Larryz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Larryz
At least you have a pedal that will work for you until you find that Nady TD-1 that you like. Maybe you could run a Wanted ad on Craigslist and/or find a used one some day... cool

Not looking for another Nady TD-1 anymore. I am set for distortion pedals for the foreseeable future. I have one Nady TD-1 in my road pedal board, and the Duncan in the house pedal board. I am tweaking the Duncan to my taste in overdrives, I am pretty much there in tonal happiness already.

#2966318 - 01/02/19 12:58 PM Re: Duncan Twin Tube Is In The House [Re: d / halfnote]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: d
Here's what too much turkey will do for ya...
I spent several moments tryna figure out how DBM even had a house after he'd mortgaged it to buy one of those amps when it finally dawned on me I'd mistaken Duncan for Dumble... hitt

Good on ya, Pal ! rawk

I never-ever wanted a Dumble amp, not even for cheap which they ain't. I never saw the beauty of the Dumble sound like others have. I always liked Stevie Rays playing but was never fond of his tone. Stevie's sound was peaky and sharp. I leaned more towards the Santana type of overdrive sound. I like the overdrive sound to be slightly compressed and not too peaky/fuzzy/fizzy.

#2966395 - 01/02/19 06:28 PM Re: Duncan Twin Tube Is In The House [Re: desertbluesman]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: desertbluesman

Not looking for another Nady TD-1 anymore. I am set for distortion pedals for the foreseeable future. I have one Nady TD-1 in my road pedal board, and the Duncan in the house pedal board. I am tweaking the Duncan to my taste in overdrives, I am pretty much there in tonal happiness already.

Sounds like you've got the Duncan just about dialed in! thu

#2966497 - 01/03/19 07:44 AM Re: Duncan Twin Tube Is In The House [Re: Larryz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Sounds like you've got the Duncan just about dialed in! thu

It was a little easier than I thought it would be, I changed the tone control settings from where I had it originally before I sent it to the kiddo, and viola tonal bliss......

#2966503 - 01/03/19 08:21 AM Re: Duncan Twin Tube Is In The House [Re: desertbluesman]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

That's great news DBM! thu

#2966526 - 01/03/19 10:01 AM Re: Duncan Twin Tube Is In The House [Re: Larryz]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I like the Twin Tube a lot... I like the Blues Twin Tube a little bit better but I don't have that one. I need to find mine (it seems to have eloped with my old EHX Deluxe Memory Man and is hiding out somewhere at the moment...). My only complaint about it was that there should be separate EQs for each "channel," since they're too different for one EQ section to get the most out of... I convinced a lot of guys here who have Fender HR Deluxes to pick the TT up used and then that lets them get into the world of using their guitar's volume knob to clean stuff up but still have a lot of touch response at lower volumes, then a heavy overdrive channel if they want. They all loved it.

And since it is a tube-based preamp you can hit it with other overdrive pedals and light those little guys up in cool ways.

Also, people are doing good jobs of emulating the Dumble thing in pedals... I use a Vertex Steel String as an always-on "clean tone focuser" these days... it makes the Supro amps sound even better. I don't use it to sound like anything resembling SRV... it's based on the Dumble Steel Stringer, and I think Vertex or somebody makes a pedal based on the Dumble Overdrive, which is Santana-territory.

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose