Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2966033 - 01/01/19 03:48 AM How'd it go last night?
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
ell, where I am( Metro Detroit area) it's 6:46 am on the 1st. Made it to see the new year in, but no partying this time for me( for obvious reasons) so I "rang" in the new year while watching the TWILIGHT ZONE marathon on the SY FY channel.

And yes, I did remember to put my money out. Did any of YOU guys remember to do that? cool

Anyway, HAPPY NEW YEAR to all here, especially those who are in condition to read and respond. wink
Whitefang

Edited by whitefang (01/01/19 03:49 AM)

GP Island
#2966035 - 01/01/19 04:12 AM Re: How'd it go last night? [Re: whitefang]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
Due to legal and posting issues, I must omit part of last night`s story...basically, I went to Tokyo`s version of Times Square for the countdown but, it was so crowded that the police blocked it off. I did get a video of the shouting, maybe I`ll post it later. My plan was to hit a club after that but, I couldn`t get wifi to work. Couldn`t find it even though we performed there once. That was my fault, I should have downloaded the map. Plan B was, my favorite British pub for a few pints. That went better, except for the authentic drunken English lout in my face. I left about 4 a.m.

Edited by skipclone 1 (01/01/19 04:12 AM)

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2966037 - 01/01/19 04:15 AM Re: How'd it go last night? [Re: skipclone 1]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

....So----

You DIDN'T put out your money? idk

wink
Whitefang

#2966042 - 01/01/19 05:30 AM Re: How'd it go last night? [Re: whitefang]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
Had a gig pop up. Made it there and back without falling prey to a.once-a-year drunk on Amateur Night At The Bars, didn't have to many total trainwrecks on the gig, walked out with $105 in my pocket.
Not a bad way to start the year. Hope it is indicative of the year ahead!

#2966047 - 01/01/19 06:44 AM Re: How'd it go last night? [Re: whitefang]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Originally Posted By: whitefang
....So----

wink
Whitefang

Must be a Mid-West thing, Whitefang, as I've never heard of the ritual? I've had black-eyed peas and collard greens with Southern friends, to insure coins and folding money for the New Year, and eaten a traditional Polish pork-&-sauerkraut dish, but never heard of leaving money out.

My wife and I watched the first "Fantastic Beasts . . ." movie, early in the evening, and I was done by about 10:30 - comes from waking up between 2 and 4 AM every night. I slept for about an hour, and woke up in time to have a glass of champagne at Midnight. That was my New Year's Eve. No complaints, I used to work in D.C. nightclubs in the 80's, and worked NYE nights. I figure I've done enough 'celebrating' for another life or two.

http://www.novparolo.com

#2966057 - 01/01/19 08:52 AM Re: How'd it go last night? [Re: Winston Psmith]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
I had a great time last night celebrating with my best buds and their wives. We go way back to '72, High School '65, Grammer School '62 and Grade School '59. We played guitars and sang a lot of the oldies. We watched the ball drop in NYC on TV at 9pm Pacific time. I figured we would leave and be home by 10. But, the party kept going and us old geezers made it till midnight to give everyone a hug. My wife and I left at 1:30 am as the bars let out at 2 and we were only 10 minutes or less from home. I wanted to beat the drunks who take to the highways at 2am...No, we don't leave money out for nobody out here in California LOL! Happy New Year to all you great forumite cyber friends out there! cool

#2966059 - 01/01/19 09:14 AM Re: How'd it go last night? [Re: Larryz]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Quiet night at home with my folks. A toast. Some cheese. Some chocolate covered nuts.

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2966068 - 01/01/19 10:30 AM Re: How'd it go last night? [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
A String Administrator Offline
Admin
10k Club

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Quiet night home. Watched a few movies. What is "Leaving money out"?
My Pics

#2966167 - 01/01/19 11:18 PM Re: How'd it go last night? [Re: A String]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Got invited to a New Year’s Day party today. Saw some faces I hadn’t seen in a while. Good times!

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2966193 - 01/02/19 04:14 AM Re: How'd it go last night? [Re: Winston Psmith]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith
Originally Posted By: whitefang
....So----

wink
Whitefang

Must be a Mid-West thing, Whitefang, as I've never heard of the ritual? I've had black-eyed peas and collard greens with Southern friends, to insure coins and folding money for the New Year, and eaten a traditional Polish pork-&-sauerkraut dish, but never heard of leaving money out.

what was meant was....

Variation on an old Slavic New Year's tradition/superstition...

Some, at the stroke of midnight, throw money out the front door for the poor which will supposedly have a Karmic effect of not being in need for the new year, or others( like my family did for generations) put money outside the front door before the new year, and bring it back in after the new year begins to assure the same good fortune (no hunger or poverty, etc.) during the new year.

My wife, who was born in Laredo, Texas, and moved up here when she was 2 or 3 to Southwest Detroit, which at that time was a huge POLISH community( it's where MY family too, wound up when moving to Detroit from the Pittsburgh area in the '30's) said she remembers walking down her street on many January 1st's seeing all manner of coinage on the streets and sidewalks and wondered for a long time what it was all about. wink
Whitefang

#2966215 - 01/02/19 06:09 AM Re: How'd it go last night? [Re: whitefang]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
@Whitefang - thanks for the explanation, I'd never heard of that ritual before.

http://www.novparolo.com

#2966260 - 01/02/19 09:21 AM Re: How'd it go last night? [Re: Winston Psmith]
jimmac Offline

Loc: Jackson, Michigan
Interesting ritual that I did not hear about before. I made it to 11:30 and turned in. Party pooper I guess. Happy new years all. Jim

#2966285 - 01/02/19 11:20 AM Re: How'd it go last night? [Re: jimmac]
d / halfnote Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
I took it quiet (yes, that's phrased exactly correctly grin ).

Watched a bit of Dick Clark's Still-Not-Entirely-Dead New Year w/Various Live from Highly Sanitized NYC (featuring the Peach Drop in nearby ATL down in the corner of the TV screen).
Spent 1-1-2K19 watching nature...but NOW the entire world is all aglow w/the wonder of the new & the tremendous change that occurs at exactly 12:01 local time all 'round the whirled (yes, that's spelled exactly correctly grin ).

1 month til the Sooper Dooper Bowl & 3 months til Mr Geo Clinton brings his Farewell Tour to ATL.
rawk

#2966464 - 01/03/19 04:23 AM Re: How'd it go last night? [Re: d / halfnote]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Actually d(and IMHO) that Dick Clark thing not only died WITH him, but the very second it was announced that RYAN SEA-CRUST would take it over. I didn't see anything of the New Year's Eve broadcast since my TV MONITOR is ALREADY MADE of plastic, and I didn't wish to watch MORE of it on the thing! wink
Whitefang

#2966529 - 01/03/19 10:08 AM Re: How'd it go last night? [Re: whitefang]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

A friend/bandmate and his family came over late afternoon... our daughters were born days apart and are in school together and are "number one pals" so we had a fondue dinner party and drinks while the kids ran around like crazy, we did the "midnight" countdown at 8PM for the kiddos then they were worn out and ready for bed. So were we... best New Year's Eve in a while.

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose