Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha MODX

Just a shout out again to the Yamaha / MODX workflow. I'm doing a pick up gig for NYE and needed to set up 25 or so performances and then add them to the live set screen. I just love how easy it is from whoa to go. Really impressed :thu:

Am also travelling light for this gig - not using Mainstage but will be playing music off iTunes in the breaks. Love that I can just run laptop audio through the MODX as well.

Is there a note holder option for the Modx8?

I know is a little detail, but I hate having to carry a standalone note holder to gigs.

Not by the look of it: https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/synthesizers/modx/accessories.html

Is there a note holder option for the Modx8?

I know is a little detail, but I hate having to carry a standalone note holder to gigs.

Not by the look of it: https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/synthesizers/modx/accessories.html

Ok. Thanks. I will have to live with that!

Talking about accessories...

-How do you like the Yamaha YSC-MODX8 soft case?

-I see that there is not a sustain pedal included.

Casio PX-S3000, Elektron Analog Keys, Elektron Octatrack, Synthstrom Deluge, Eurorack 6U, Yamaha DXR10

Personal:

https://www.youtube.com/user/mcpepe2/

Band:

https://www.youtube.com/tentaclesband

I have the MODX7 so have the equivalent case, and it's not bad. There are better cases out there but it does the job and seems sturdy enough. And no, no sustain pedal included but they aren't commonly included with most boards.

Are you talking about a sheet music stand? The MODX8 may not have that, but it does have a good amount of blank panel space, where you could conveniently put something like an iPad, which could hold your notes, if you don't mind looking off to the side.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Are you talking about a sheet music stand? The MODX8 may not have that, but it does have a good amount of blank panel space, where you could conveniently put something like an iPad, which could hold your notes, if you don't mind looking off to the side.

Yes. I am talking about a sheet music stand.

I didn't thought about the blank panel space. Hummmnnnn. :idea: I have a Microsoft Surface and I could use it

Casio PX-S3000, Elektron Analog Keys, Elektron Octatrack, Synthstrom Deluge, Eurorack 6U, Yamaha DXR10

Personal:

https://www.youtube.com/user/mcpepe2/

Band:

https://www.youtube.com/tentaclesband

I have the MODX7 so have the equivalent case, and it's not bad. There are better cases out there but it does the job and seems sturdy enough. And no, no sustain pedal included but they aren't commonly included with most boards.

I also have the 7. I picked up their softcase and imho I think its a tad thin on the protection / padding and lacks any bolsters around the side edge. What better cases *soft case have you seen or recommend that the MODX7 fits in nicely? (This Q is open to any and all).

I also picked up SKBs molded 76 ATA case for fly-ins where I need to check it with airline - its nice though added padding is needed to hold it snug. Its flown once so far and seemed to enjoy the trip

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

After all my research, watching a ton of videos vs the Montage 8, and this thread (yes I read EVERY reply!), I too have just purchased a MODX8! The weight, flexibility of sounds, controller functions, built in audio interface, feel and price was everything I needed to fulfill my gigging needs. IMHO, this is the ULTIMATE stage piano for the regular gigging musician who sets up their own gear.
Yamaha MODX8, Korg Kronos 2 61, Hammond B3, Novation 61SL MKII, Impulse 61, Roland D-550, Proteus 2000, etc......to name a few.

After all my research, watching a ton of videos vs the Montage 8, and this thread (yes I read EVERY reply!), I too have just purchased a MODX8! The weight, flexibility of sounds, controller functions, built in audio interface, feel and price was everything I needed to fulfill my gigging needs. IMHO, this is the ULTIMATE stage piano for the regular gigging musician who sets up their own gear.

Agreed. After a few gigs with my MODX it shines in the value department. My only concern is durability. Time will tell after a couple hundred gigs. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

Agreed. After a few gigs with my MODX it shines in the value department. My only concern is durability. Time will tell after a couple hundred gigs. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I think It will be just fine. If my featherweight Px-5S which is made of glass, can survive someone as clumsy as I am, anyone can handle that MODX! Lol

Yamaha MODX8, Korg Kronos 2 61, Hammond B3, Novation 61SL MKII, Impulse 61, Roland D-550, Proteus 2000, etc......to name a few.

Keep us in the loop. Saw too many forum posts about the clanking keybed noises after a few months of use. Returned my MODX8 but Im still interested because of the sounds. Then again, some MODX6 and MODX7 apparently suffer from keybed gaps (according to this months Sound On Sound review and a number of forum posts).

Keep us in the loop. Saw too many forum posts about the clanking keybed noises after a few months of use. Returned my MODX8 but Im still interested because of the sounds. Then again, some MODX6 and MODX7 apparently suffer from keybed gaps (according to this months Sound On Sound review and a number of forum posts).

No gaps here on an early 7. Its only ~ 2 months old ...

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Clanking notes

They said that about my Casio PX-5S. As with anything newer, lighter versions, there are gonna be trade offs. Im not expecting a perfect keyboard, I want A functional keyboard. Yes the keys May clank, but does it get the job done?

A lot was taken off the keyboard to make it lighter. So You have to account for some imperfections: You want that quiet smooth, silky keybed? thats gonna cost and add weight. You want that sturdy solid aluminum frame/covering? Thats gonna cost and add weight. You want those extra controllers with all 8 knobs? Thats gonna cost and add weight. You want a regular built it power supply minus the walwart? Thats gonna cost and add weight. I think Yamaha did a fabulous job cutting the corners where they did.

In short for the value, I welcome The IMPERFECTIONS!

Clanking notes

They said that about my Casio PX-5S. As with anything newer, lighter versions, there are gonna be trade offs. Im not expecting a perfect keyboard, I want A functional keyboard. Yes the keys May clank, but does it get the job done?

A lot was taken off the keyboard to make it lighter. So You have to account for some imperfections: You want that quiet smooth, silky keybed? thats gonna cost and add weight. You want that sturdy solid aluminum frame/covering? Thats gonna cost and add weight. You want those extra controllers with all 8 knobs? Thats gonna cost and add weight. You want a regular built it power supply minus the walwart? Thats gonna cost and add weight. I think Yamaha did a fabulous job cutting the corners where they did.

In short for the value, I welcome The IMPERFECTIONS!

I can live with all of those, except with a clanking keybed.

The keybed is not the loudest I've played (my Nektar P6 controller is about the same level), but for me in a rock covers band it's zero issue given on-stage volume levels.

considering jumping to MODX but I had issues with several yamaha keyboards in the past. One thing i noticed is that graded hammer action is not the same on all their keyboards. DGX, Mox, Moxf, Modx, p115 all use GH action, i have played them all, and they all differ considerably. one main GH keybed problem is dead keys popping up in winter seasons. just a little chill in the air, and those sensors beneath the keys start acting up.
Nektar LX61+, iPad 9.7 Inch, Mainstage, Korg Kronos 2

The keybed is not the loudest I've played (my Nektar P6 controller is about the same level), but for me in a rock covers band it's zero issue given on-stage volume levels.

In fact I actually loved the MODX8 keybed but didnt want to wait until the clanking problem would surface (as described in several forum threads over at YamahaMusicians and GearSlutz). Returned the big fella when I still could. And maybe its a quality control issue that could get solved while Im waiting for NAMM.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Yeah, haven't heard from you new board users in awhile. Would love to hear more about the workflow / user friendliness of the interface for different common tasks, as well as the playability of the keybeds.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Well this thread certainly died down...

yes. whats up with that ?

1]Folks that have the ModX are enjoying it.

2]Shoppers have enough info and are on the fence

3] Waiting for one to fall off the back of a UPS truck

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

They are flying off the retail shelves here in the U.S.

All of the major music retailers have sold out of the 88 key version; and most have sold out of the 76 key version (a few have some but very low stock).

They are on back order with waiting lists.

Yeah, haven't heard from you new board users in awhile. Would love to hear more about the workflow / user friendliness of the interface for different common tasks, as well as the playability of the keybeds.

I've had mine now a number of months and am actively using it in a band. I've said it before but it bears repeating: the workflow is a major improvement on what I'm used to with the Kronos.

It's just plain easier and the touchscreen is so much more responsive. It nearly makes setting up live sets and performances a pleasure ;)

Sound-wise I'm yet to get stuck on a sound I can't find for a song - sure I'd like more retro pads but there are enough to work with. Add in great third-party sounds like Busch's great vintage key suite and I'm rapt :thu:

Then there's how light the damn thing is - appreciate that every time I lug it.