Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2965021 - 12/26/18 04:13 AM Post holiday hope....
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Here's wishing all that this Christmas you got everything you wanted, and wanted everything you got. wink
Whitefang

GP Island
#2965030 - 12/26/18 07:24 AM Re: Post holiday hope.... [Re: whitefang]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Definitely a bit of both, here. Peace.

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2965041 - 12/26/18 08:14 AM Re: Post holiday hope.... [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
We do not celebrate Christmas like we used to do, we do not buy each other gifts, we do not do a big Christmas tree and our outdoor decorations are very lightly done. However I got a really nice steak dinner last night. My Christmas shopping consisted of buying my wife a Christmas Card. Her birthday is on the 28th of December so I also bought her a birthday card in my one trip to the Dollar Tree Store. Total outlay $2.07 as my total shopping expense for the 2018 year. We also did not send out any Christmas cards this year. But I did booze it up a bit and drove home safely. (Inside the gated community where I live)
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2965042 - 12/26/18 08:18 AM Re: Post holiday hope.... [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
If I want it, it will be under the tree LOL! cool

#2965086 - 12/26/18 01:38 PM Re: Post holiday hope.... [Re: Larryz]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Wasn't looking to get anything in particular, honestly. I got my wife some nice earrings and a necklace, nothing extravagant. My wife gave me a nice new L. L. Bean flannel shirt, and my sister-in-law gave me another Bean shirt that's more of a shirt-jacket. I'm already getting good use from both. Mid-afternoon, we went out with family to see the new Mary Poppins movie - yes, really.

As I'd said on my FB page, the best thing that I got yesterday was to wake up alive, and I'm glad to see that you're all still here, too. That'll more than do for me.

http://www.novparolo.com

#2965125 - 12/26/18 05:49 PM Re: Post holiday hope.... [Re: Winston Psmith]
Sharkman Offline
Gold Member

Lets just say that I am really really glad that I bought that Kiesel guitar for my Christmas gift to me. At least I got one gift that I really loved and can use.

#2965159 - 12/27/18 02:49 AM Re: Post holiday hope.... [Re: Sharkman]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
I pulled the trigger on Sweetwater's 48 month/no interest financing on a mex Hendrix Strat in Olympic White. My Christmas gift to myself, 4 years of $20 a month payments.
It arrives in a day or so.

#2965162 - 12/27/18 04:54 AM Re: Post holiday hope.... [Re: picker]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

DBM;
Be sure to wish your wife a "happy birthday" from Fang, eh? wink
Whitefang

#2965181 - 12/27/18 07:02 AM Re: Post holiday hope.... [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
Congratulations Picker! Keep us posted on how well you like the new axe when it comes in! thu

#2965189 - 12/27/18 08:12 AM Re: Post holiday hope.... [Re: picker]
Sharkman Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: picker
I pulled the trigger on Sweetwater's 48 month/no interest financing on a mex Hendrix Strat in Olympic White. My Christmas gift to myself, 4 years of $20 a month payments.
It arrives in a day or so.

I had a couple Strats, and I not only didn't like them, I could not understand why other people do like them. Having said that, I've been giving some thought to getting another Strat some day, specifically, the very one you described. Let me know how you like it.

#2965392 - 12/28/18 11:39 AM Re: Post holiday hope.... [Re: Sharkman]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Originally Posted By: Sharkman

I had a couple Strats, and I not only didn't like them, I could not understand why other people do like them. Having said that, I've been giving some thought to getting another Strat some day, specifically, the very one you described. Let me know how you like it.

Have you ever tried any of the myriad stratclones out there? Or designs that emulate Strat functionality but in a different form? Sometimes, those design differences can be all that bars you from bliss.

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2965395 - 12/28/18 12:20 PM Re: Post holiday hope.... [Re: Sharkman]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Originally Posted By: Sharkman

I had a couple Strats, and I not only didn't like them, I could not understand why other people do like them.

I never liked the Strat style either until I bought my Agile Strat Clone. I changed the pickups to the Fender Vintage Noiseless, and I put a Boss Blues Driver in for tone control and boost, but I use none of the distortions abilities of the Blues Driver, just boost and turn the tone all the way to the bass side. I boost it enough to give hum-bucking like power before it hits the amp input. I also changed the one volume control and two tones to a single volume control half way between where it used to be, and near where the middle pup tone control was, eliminating the need for 2 tone controls. The single tone control works any of the pickups. Now it is one of my all time favorite guitars. Total cost to me with a hard shell case $550 about 10 years ago.
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2965443 - 12/28/18 11:07 PM Re: Post holiday hope.... [Re: desertbluesman]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
I had a `69 Custom Shop Strat that a friend gave me as an extended loan, for about three years. It`s on the tune `Polaris Station` on my music page. I totally loved it, when my friend decided to sell it I should have jumped. I have also been tempted by several Strats made for the Japan market, especially the Richie Kotzen model. But for now my two main electrics are keeping me happy.

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2965461 - 12/29/18 05:05 AM Re: Post holiday hope.... [Re: skipclone 1]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

I only played Strats in the stores, but when I first started taking an interest in playing guitar, I noticed them being used by many of the day's top rock "stars", and of course, in my 12 year old mind, they looked SO "cool".

Then I started noticing what other players were using, and the Strat went down a few pegs. wink

I might, or might not ever buy one, but nothing in life is ever really certain, so.....
Whitefang

#2965516 - 12/29/18 11:25 AM Re: Post holiday hope.... [Re: whitefang]
surfergirl Offline

Loc: Waialua, Hi
I love Strats. I have Mini Squier, a Squier and a Deluxe Player.
For Christmas I got MXR Micro Amp and EHX Octavix from my Father. I have a Blue Box, but it is an octave down.
I picked up my big gift today. My Grandpa made me a new board. Just got it from the glasser today. It is shorter and lighter than any of my boards. Probably not the best conditions for a first ride, but I'm going out anyway.

Edited by surfergirl (12/29/18 11:28 AM)

#2965539 - 12/29/18 01:32 PM Re: Post holiday hope.... [Re: surfergirl]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
MXR Micro Amp is a great "always-on" Booster. Put it first in line, right after your Guitar, turn it so you can just tell when it's on, usually somewhere around Noon. livens up the rest of your pedalboard.

And enjoy that new surfboard, too!

http://www.novparolo.com

#2965590 - 12/29/18 05:55 PM Re: Post holiday hope.... [Re: Winston Psmith]
surfergirl Offline

Loc: Waialua, Hi
Thank you. Playing at our friends wedding reception tonight, I will try that.

#2965649 - 12/30/18 05:12 AM Re: Post holiday hope.... [Re: surfergirl]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Good luck at the gig, and tell your friends good luck from me, please..... wink
Whitefang

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose