Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2964239 - 12/21/18 09:58 AM OT ? The Case For Being A Weekend Warrior
GregC Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
I have this OT going on KeyBoard Corner. You are welcome to expound there.

Or we can do our wisdom mind meld here. Either way, is cool.

FYI, the article author is a 30 something , a blogger guy. Not a musician.
Not exactly decades of wisdom to be yapping about life/work/creative balance.

But he has a few decent points and the topic is relevant to musicians.

If you want me to insert more of the text of his article here, no problem, let me know.
====================================================

You might not agree with some of the author's assertions. I think disagreement is cool since 2 opposing statements can be equally true:

https://medium.com/swlh/the-case-for-being-a-weekend-warrior-dee5bcec483

Working on your passion, side-hustle, hobby, etc has its limitations.
My passion is blogging and Im[the author] a weekend warrior.

A weekend warrior is someone who has a normal job and then works on their passion over the weekend.

In this article, Im going to change that meaning slightly and say that a weekend warrior is someone that has a normal job and works on their passion outside work hours. I thought about the advantages of being a weekend warrior.

Sometimes the restrictions you have are your greatest advantage.
For a lot us, we just want to get home from work to pursue our passion.
We tell ourselves the lie that if we could only find a way to do it full-time wed be set.
Trialing a passion full-time

I tried it with my blogging. I did it full-time. I thought it was the answer to all my dreams.

You know what happened?

I sat at home and didnt write. I watched movies, read books and told myself You got all the time in the world pal to blog, so take it easy.
I always had another thing to do before I could write.

Some days it was meditation, the gym and then helping my girlfriend with something because I love her very much. All that full-time blogging didnt look so great.
The output was less.

Acting out of desperation kills the art
The reason most of us work a 95 is obvious: money.
When you are forced to monetize your passion the desperation to make a living often kills all your creativity, drive and passion.

GP Island
#2964253 - 12/21/18 11:28 AM Re: OT ? The Case For Being A Weekend Warrior [Re: GregC]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
One word: Discipline -

What didn't work for the writer in question, seems to have been his own commitment to his own work. Stephen King, whatever you may think of his stories, made it a point to sit at his desk and produce 10 pages of writing, for every day that he was supposed to be working. Instead of adopting the attitude that "This is work, even if I'm setting my own schedule and working for myself", the writer allowed himself to blow off work, in order to watch movies, read, hang out with his girlfriend, etc.. I call "bullshit"; any real job, he'd have lasted a day or two.

Unless someone is independently wealthy, or otherwise being provided for (I won't ask . . .), they have to do something to make a living, as the expression goes. You get up, you go somewhere, even if it's only to your desk, or out to the garage/barn/woodshop/what-have-you, and you put in your day. Telling yourself that you're an Artist, or something like, doesn't change a f@cking thing - "Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water; after enlightenment, chop wood, carry water".

I know plenty of Musicians, living and working as Musicians, who also have real-life careers, not just jobs that pay the bills. I would hardly call them weekend warriors. They make the time, and the commitment, to do both.

I've also heard a slightly different definition for weekend warriors - they were players who couldn't quite make it in even local bands, never mind breaking out, who nonetheless get together on weekends and play low-budget, no-publicity weekend gigs, if they're not just hanging out in somebody's garage or basement. Once again, it didn't suggest a serious commitment to Music, or Musicianship, more like a bunch of old guys playing softball, or hoops.

Edited by Winston Psmith (12/21/18 11:29 AM)
Edit Reason: sp.

http://www.novparolo.com

#2964254 - 12/21/18 11:29 AM Re: OT ? The Case For Being A Weekend Warrior [Re: GregC]
d / halfnote Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
That seems familiar---did we recently discuss this here ?

Anyway, skipping over whatever angst the orig cat had, I'll just say this:
If a weekend warrior (per the usual concept) is someone active in an area off their usual gig, I'd imagine it's always something they care abt.
How much may vary both w/the individual & over time but if they care enough they develop discipline enough to stick to the course.
As far as "When you are forced to monetize your passion the desperation to make a living often kills all your creativity, drive and passion"... freak
If that were true, there would be little if any great art.
Artists have always had to "monetize their passion".

#2964270 - 12/21/18 12:59 PM Re: OT ? The Case For Being A Weekend Warrior [Re: d / halfnote]
GregC Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: d
T
As far as "When you are forced to monetize your passion the desperation to make a living often kills all your creativity, drive and passion"... freak

Controversial. No one eternal truth. Various circumstances.
Highly subjective. Mostly everyone sees this from their own bubble.

Etc etc etc

Whats yours ?

I can talk to my pref. I completely disassociate expected monetary
reward with my music production. IOW, money has ZERO impact
on my creativity.

Fly little bird, Fly, is my mantra
. No force. No desperation. No alcohol.

I have gotten horrified emails , responses etc when I post this.
As if I kicked the dog. as if I spurned a secret handshake.

Call me idealistic. Or worse. I don't know if anyone thinks my 44
songs are great. But I am getting somewhere. On the crooked
path.

#2964357 - 12/22/18 04:06 AM Re: OT ? The Case For Being A Weekend Warrior [Re: GregC]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
The only guy I know who has the chops to make it professionally as a musician only does so on a "weekend warrior" basis too.

Was told once(years ago) that: "The market already has it's fill of virtuoso white guy jazz guitarists." So he plays when and wherever possible and with whomever. His "day job" is installing vinyl windows. It's like anything else...

Don't matter if it's music or medicine or whatever...

There's only room at the top for a few, and only so many clubs or clinics to go around as well.

And as far as Greg's 44 songs go...

Out of 300 million pairs of eyes, only a very few at a time share the same vision. And many more have no one sharing theirs at all. And the remaining ain't interested.
Whitefang

#2964390 - 12/22/18 07:52 AM Re: OT ? The Case For Being A Weekend Warrior [Re: whitefang]
GregC Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: whitefang
T

And as far as Greg's 44 songs go...

Out of 300 million pairs of eyes, only a very few at a time share the same vision. And many more have no one sharing theirs at all. And the remaining ain't interested.
Whitefang

I am old school in my approach. After 2 -3 yrs of my stuff, I can see the writing on the wall. I grow my audience base slowly. I have a feel for what most of my listeners prefer.

I don't expect to get a big bunch of eyes. The data does not support my appeal to a chunk of your 300 million.
For example locally, the 20/30's somethings have close to zero interest in my retro material. Its not surprising.
Likely that demographic and the 'teens' are a fair sample of your 300 million.

I go where there is a better chance of music appreciation.

Edited by GregC (12/22/18 07:53 AM)

#2964400 - 12/22/18 08:46 AM Re: OT ? The Case For Being A Weekend Warrior [Re: Winston Psmith]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith
One word: Discipline -

Unless someone is independently wealthy, or otherwise being provided for (I won't ask . . .), they have to do something to make a living, as the expression goes. You get up, you go somewhere, even if it's only to your desk, or out to the garage/barn/woodshop/what-have-you, and you put in your day. Telling yourself that you're an Artist, or something like, doesn't change a f@cking thing - "Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water; after enlightenment, chop wood, carry water".

+1 Brother Winston! Back in my gigging days I was a weekend warrior playing for 3 or 4 years in a band every Friday and Saturday night. On busy weekends we also played Saturday and Sunday weddings BBQ's Fundraisers, etc. during the daylight hours in addition to hour night gigs and this was in addition to working our regular jobs 8 to 5 Monday through Friday. I found I was neglecting my wife and family and missing out too much on being a good dad to my two kids. I decided to forget playing for money and using up too much of my free time and quit the band and nightlife. I still played with other musicians from time to time and did a few fun gigs...and still do!

Funny you should mention chopping wood Winston! I had a woodstove back in those days and would buy my firewood as I didn't have time to go out and chop it up for free. My dad would always give me a hard time for paying for 3 chords of wood each year figuring I was too lazy to chop wood too! I told him that I chop wood with my Les Paul guitar having fun playing in the band on the weekends while you're out there working your ass off to save a few hundred bucks! And I use the money to buy wood (we loved to argue with eachother!). I referred to my guitar as my AXE, literally LOL! cool

#2964411 - 12/22/18 09:37 AM Re: OT ? The Case For Being A Weekend Warrior [Re: GregC]
d / halfnote Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: GregC

Etc etc etc
Whats yours ?
-------------------------------------
on my creativity.

I think we may be looking at the same Q from diff angles so while seeing the same thing it looks diff.
I find no prob between "art" & commerce.
They have always existed together in history & likely always will.
That doesn't mean one has to create w/the marketing in mind, just that marketing & recompense are how one gets ideas out there & builds a platform to continue doing so.
If art doesn't have a self-sustaining platform, one is forever a weekend warrior.

#2964419 - 12/22/18 10:24 AM Re: OT ? The Case For Being A Weekend Warrior [Re: d / halfnote]
GregC Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Etc etc etc
Whats yours ?
-------------------------------------
on my creativity.

I think we may be looking at the same Q from diff angles so while seeing the same thing it looks diff.
I find no prob between "art" & commerce.
They have always existed together in history & likely always will.
That doesn't mean one has to create w/the marketing in mind, just that marketing & recompense are how one gets ideas out there & builds a platform to continue doing so.
If art doesn't have a self-sustaining platform, one is forever a weekend warrior.

I think I follow you. You are stating that art has to generate enough outside revenue to survive, and possibly evolve. It can't live long unless it has some support.
Lots of art dies from starvation, disappointment , what have you. Its harshly Darwinian, inexact as that is,

The problem almost all performing artists/musicians face is the lack of consistency, sustainability for adequate FT income. This has existed for several decades, possibly forever.

I am self funding my music production. Thats my choice. I am satisfied doing that for several years into the future.

I prefer to not being told what to do by some 3rd party, just because I signed a contract with them and they advanced me $10,000. And I will not play Xmas songs because someone offers $500 tonight. Thats not my gig. Someone else can have it.

Maybe a business analogy will help. I am operating in ' startup mode'. This is very common in small business - they generate -0- revenue for some years, yet they have monthly expenses. They operate under a budget and have a cash reserve to draw on.

But the business is creating something that might have potentially larger value. Or maybe not. Its a crap shoot. But the business owner is free to adjust, change his developing product. Long term effort like this is typical.

#2964422 - 12/22/18 10:52 AM Re: OT ? The Case For Being A Weekend Warrior [Re: GregC]
d / halfnote Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I think I follow you. You are stating that art has to generate enough outside revenue to survive, and possibly evolve. It can't live long unless it has some support..................................

The problem almost all performing artists/musicians face is the lack of consistency, sustainability for adequate FT income.....

I disagree somewhat.
The prob for most is a lack of real creativity/invention in their methodology.
Compare ppl like Picasso, the Beatles, Miles Davis, Loretta Lynn, Hendrix & Prince to most artists.
Real innovators can, if not always, make it.

Some others derive long-term success by maintaining a consistent style or approach
but those usually show little development behind that.
Not everyone can bring a truly new game to play.
There's value in simple entertainment.
The value in art is something else.

#2964435 - 12/22/18 11:42 AM Re: OT ? The Case For Being A Weekend Warrior [Re: d / halfnote]
GregC Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

I think I follow you. You are stating that art has to generate enough outside revenue to survive, and possibly evolve. It can't live long unless it has some support..................................

The problem almost all performing artists/musicians face is the lack of consistency, sustainability for adequate FT income.....

I disagree somewhat.
The prob for most is a lack of real creativity/invention in their methodology.
Compare ppl like Picasso, the Beatles, Miles Davis, Loretta Lynn, Hendrix & Prince to most artists.
Real innovators can, if not always, make it.

Some others derive long-term success by maintaining a consistent style or approach
but those usually show little development behind that.
Not everyone can bring a truly new game to play.
There's value in simple entertainment.
The value in art is something else.

Well, there is more than '1 problem ' or challenge with creating productive art or product

My context was a serious musician.

No disagreement, some artists need to step up their game/skill.
They should show they have something to offer.

Even moderately skilled musicians should get out of their comfort zone and push themselves further. The assumption is that they are serious about their craft.

#2964487 - 12/22/18 08:57 PM Re: OT ? The Case For Being A Weekend Warrior [Re: GregC]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
It`s funny-there`s a mentality around these days that, it`s all on the individual. You control your destiny. If you have no success, it`s because you`re not `bringing game`. You`re not committed.
Part of that is total nonsense, sorry. You can find many examples of successful artists-in a loose definition-with questionable skills and talent, at least at what they profess to be good at. The real talent-theirs or the machine that supports them-is convincing an audience that they are the most amazing thing ever.
No amount of hard work, dedication or innovation means a thing, without the means and opportunity to bring it to the world. That is the reason artists still sign contracts with conglomerates, knowing that it puts them on an endless hamster wheel of trying to move more units. It`s a sad, stark but simple fact.

Edited by skipclone 1 (12/22/18 08:57 PM)

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2964515 - 12/23/18 04:33 AM Re: OT ? The Case For Being A Weekend Warrior [Re: skipclone 1]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

I agree with Skip to a degree.

Look at what happened to my friend for example. And all he was trying to do was get representation, and it was the AGENTS that told him about the "full of white boy jazz players" thing. Mostly, for more than tertiary success in the music biz, many find they have to throw invention and integrity out the window. Once they're established, there might be opportunity to give it a try, because if it does fail, there's always the compromise that got you there to fall back on.

Now, an individual, like d, might gripe that some artist isn't "bringing game" to the table, and is lacking "creativity and invention" in their efforts, but those complainers might possibly( and probably) be outnumbered by millions of "fans" who are OK with the status quo, so no NEED for creativity and invention is seen as NEEDED by the artists in question.

Sure, there are some who wish to come up with something "new" to dazzle people with, and many who are content to just make a comfortable enough of a living at something.
Whitefang

#2964531 - 12/23/18 06:49 AM Re: OT ? The Case For Being A Weekend Warrior [Re: skipclone 1]
GregC Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: skipclone 1
It`s funny-there`s a mentality around these days that, it`s all on the individual. You control your destiny. If you have no success, it`s because you`re not `bringing game`. You`re not committed.

Part of that is total nonsense, sorry. You can find many examples of successful artists-in a loose definition-with questionable skills and talent, at least at what they profess to be good at.

The real talent-theirs or the machine that supports them-is convincing an audience that they are the most amazing thing ever.

No amount of hard work, dedication or innovation means a thing, without the means and opportunity to bring it to the world. That is the reason artists still sign contracts with conglomerates, knowing that it puts them on an endless hamster wheel of trying to move more units. It`s a sad, stark but simple fact.

All your points reflect the current reality.

The 'mentality ' is half self help psychology, half 'don't be a slacker '.

I think many of us geezers know the commercial music industry has been a FUBAR for many decades. We love making music but the business side is chaos.

I think its up to the individual to define what success is.

Which is what I have posted 50x ' don't let the business bother you, enjoy your creative gift and develop your craft'.

#2964580 - 12/23/18 11:15 AM Re: OT ? The Case For Being A Weekend Warrior [Re: whitefang]
d / halfnote Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: skipclone 1
Part of that is total nonsense, sorry. You can find many examples of successful artists-in a loose definition-with questionable skills and talent, at least at what they profess to be good at. The real talent-theirs or the machine that supports them-is convincing an audience that they are the most amazing thing ever.

The aspect of that that seems most diff these days is that there are, I think, fewer real collaborations than at times in the past.
Ex 1 = The Beatles, while hardly as wide open as many'd like to think (The 4 most important Beatles were, in rough order: Lennon/McCartney, George Martin & Brian "Brain" Epstein.
The fact that they worked in a collaborative manner was their strongest power.
Starr & Harrison certainly were important but not as indispensable as the 4 I listed...although it's worth noting that in their USA breakout, Starr was actually the most recognizable & in their 1st film, he stole the show completely.
Originally Posted By: whitefang
...Now, an individual, like d, might gripe that some artist isn't "bringing game" to the table, and is lacking "creativity and invention" in their efforts, but those complainers might possibly( and probably) be outnumbered by millions of "fans" who are OK with the status quo, so no NEED for creativity and invention is seen as NEEDED by the artists in question.

That's not what I meant or even said.
I complained not abt anyone slacking, only pointed out that most entertainment isn't art (& I even pointed out that that's OK).
I also said that what distinguishes really talented creators is the impulse to progress in their work...which doesn't mean that there's no room for "comfortable" or comforting art.

While I do think there are "entertainers" today who don't even entertain their own audience (many have become accepting of placebo entertainment), there is nothing wrong at all w/being a cushion for ppl when they need some slack nor, particularly in being an empathic expressor or deliverer of emotional comfort, despite what one of my heroes, Francis Vincent Zappa (whose birth & death days only recently recurred, seemed, in the popular mind to think.
His reality might be better understood when one digs into this interview & perf...both of which seem, to me at least, apt here.
Pushing the artistic envelope ? Check !
Emotionally affecting ? Check !
Acknowledging the reality of art in a world of commerce, both in concept & actual reality in the very event ? Check !
Please watch/listen to the entire clip.

#2964722 - 12/24/18 05:33 AM Re: OT ? The Case For Being A Weekend Warrior [Re: d / halfnote]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

wink

How come you didn't inform us ahead of time that Francis Vincent
zappa
rolleyes was gonna be in an old clip from the Michael Delaney Dowd Jr. show? hitt

Whitefang

#2965054 - 12/26/18 09:16 AM Re: OT ? The Case For Being A Weekend Warrior [Re: whitefang]
d / halfnote Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Uh, b/c that's beside the point.
Didja bother to actually audit the clip ?
In full ?
snax

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose