Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Good Active Studio Reference Monitors?

[i will be allowed to get new ones in the near future...!
Look at Genelec "The Ones". Truly exceptional monitors. I have 8351a's. The 8340's are now available at a nice savings.
Genelecs are actually on my short list of things to check out at NAMM next month, thanks for the tip!

Might be fun to get "The Ones" to go with the "One" (assuming Moog gets their act in gear...).

• 2 weeks later...

If you are budget conscious, the JBL 305p/306p MKII or older LSR305 models are an excellent choice.

Also have a look at the Kali Audio's LP-6s. They're have 6.5" woofers so slightly better lower end than the JBLs and only cost $150 each. High end is pretty decent. I'd say they're the best monitors than you can get for under $500.

Finally be sure to have a look at the Yamaha HS5/HS7s and Adam Audio T5V/T7Vs.

They're have 6.5" woofers so slightly better lower end than the JBLs

It's not that simple.

Woofer size does not necessarily indicate "better" low end. Bigger woofers typically tend to provide more volume than lower frequency response.

Bass response is dictated by cabinet design (things like is the box sealed? Ported? Bass reflex?) as well as the materials in the woofer itself - a paper cone does not sound like a polypropylene cone does not sound like an aluminum cone, etc.

Also, the quality of the amplifier being used with the driver in question and how its artifacts are compensated for in the design of the monitor has an effect on the sound.

...and then there's the subject of what "better low end" means... :idk:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

They're have 6.5" woofers so slightly better lower end than the JBLs

It's not that simple.

Woofer size does not necessarily indicate "better" low end. Bigger woofers typically tend to provide more volume than lower frequency response.

Bass response is dictated by cabinet design (things like is the box sealed? Ported? Bass reflex?) as well as the materials in the woofer itself - a paper cone does not sound like a polypropylene cone does not sound like an aluminum cone, etc.

Also, the quality of the amplifier being used with the driver in question and how its artifacts are compensated for in the design of the monitor has an effect on the sound.

...and then there's the subject of what "better low end" means... :idk:

dB

Thanks for the clarification on this matter. I wasn't being very precise with my language.

Having said that I still believe that the LP-6's are great studio monitors for the price. They're definitely not the best if cost is no object, but price to specs ratio is good.

The focus here seems to be on active monitors for mixing/mastering. Is that what everyone is doing here? I would think for the gig oriented these type monitors are mostly used for preparing for gigs, working on songs, trying out sounds and otherwise just playing/practicing. In which case maybe these small monitors aren't the best answer :idk . Because if you're sitting just a bit outside the all important equilateral triangle for optimal mixing these small monitors may just sound small. Physical playing positions in bedroom type studios often end up on one side of the stereo image. And the more you crank those small monitors to compensate the more apparent the size becomes.

I'm not disagreeing with what dB and other experts are saying but it does sound like it's all from the professional mixing/mastering perspective. Maybe bigger is better for your particular purposes?

Having said that I still believe that the LP-6's are great studio monitors for the price. They're definitely not the best if cost is no object, but price to specs ratio is good.

I haven't heard the Kali monitors...but all the feedback I've gotten from people who have heard them has been positive.

I'm not disagreeing with what dB and other experts are saying but it does sound like it's all from the professional mixing/mastering perspective. Maybe bigger is better for your particular purposes?

...in which case, perhaps something two-way with a horn for the highs could be the wiser choice.

I have studio monitors in the front part of my toy room, and a set of Yamaha floor monitors with a separate power amp in the back for when I just want to turn the keys on and play. When I really want to be indulgent, I turn them both on - the keyboard rig feeds both systems. :D

The floor monitors are wired reverse to the studio monitors (R/L instead of L/R), so when both systems are on something like a ping pong delay goes from one side of the room to the left no matter where you're standing or which way you're facing.

dB

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, just following up. I pulled the trigger on the HS7s. I was able to A/B them with a lot of other monitors, including the Adams, the JBLs, Behringer, KRK, M-Audio, and others at my local GC.

I have to say, to my ear, the HS series were just a lot more honest, although the Adams came very close. Everything else just seemed to have that dippy smiley face EQ type of sound. I don't know if that's become a new standard. If it has, I don't like it. Hooked up my new HS7s in my setup and they just rock my socks off. Really looking forward to doing some actual mixing with them.

Thanks for the recommendation to get isolators. I had them throw in a set to be on the safe side.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

• 3 years later...

Just picked up a couple of JBL 306P MkII's for my new Numa X Piano. They sound very good with a faithful and smooth frequency range. The pianos sound amazingly real!

• Like 1

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

1 hour ago, HammondDave said:

Just picked up a couple of JBL 306P MkII's for my new Numa X Piano. They sound very good with a faithful and smooth frequency range. The piano have sound amazingly real!

Excellent speakers.  Great choice. We use them in our NAMM booth.

Enjoy, Dave!

dB

I switched to a pair of Kali Audio IN-5  a few months ago and way better than the Yamaha HS5 I was using.    The Yamaha HS7 & 8 sound good, but 5's have a nasty midrange bump.    Sadly none sound as good as with headphones which I use for late night practice.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Docbop said:

Sadly none sound as good as with headphones which I use for late night practice. 

Some of that might have to do with the room you are playing in, since headphones take the reflections and resonant frequencies of your room out of the space between your ears and the drivers.

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, my voice

I regret selling my HEDD Type 05's. I put them on Reverb just to see how much people were willing to bid, thinking they were not gonna jump on it since it's a relatively new and little known brand here. They sold for the asking price within days and I was obligated to honor the sale.

Now I'm looking for a new set of primary nearfields (secondary being my old D5's). Thinking a pair of HEDD Type 07 Mk1's might do it, but only Alto sells B-stock and they're being a little weird about the price. Otherwise I'm looking at Genelec 8040B, or maybe PMC Result 6 (they're a bit big though). I don't mind DSP, but prefer an all-analog signal path.

Any other recommendations in the <$3K/pair price range?

• 4 weeks later...

I just received my Genelec 8030C's. I know there's a lot of engineers who say they can't work on these because they flatter the sound, but for me they sound right. The tweeters aren't as smooth as the ribbons in the HEDD's, but over all I think they are spot on down to 50Hz or so. I see a sub in my future...

A couple of weeks ago another studio rat posted 3 Yamaha MSP5 speakers for $100 total. 

Noting that Sweetwater sells these for $275 each, I zipped on over and bought them. 

They are well used but in decent condition and they sound fine, all 3 of them. I plan on flipping one of them, don't need it. 

A nice second set, my mains have been USA made Mackie HR828 for about 14 years and going strong. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.