Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2962786 - 12/13/18 07:39 PM SK "Evenings In The States"
SK Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: North America
I'm heading down south from Canada for a 'mini-tour'. Even though I rarely post anymore, it's nice to still be able to stop in and drop something in Shameless Plugs!!! smile

Info for upcoming evenings "in the states"...

Richmond, Va.:

January 13th, 2019, SK Quartet at The Camel, 10:00 - 11:30, (Paul Langosch/bass, Victor Haskins/trumpet, Emre Kartari/drums, SK/piano/keyboard)
The Charles Owens' Trio, 9 - 9:45

January 15th, SK Quartet at Vagabond,
8:30 - 11:30

Baltimore, Md.:

January 19th, SK Acoustic Trio at An die Musik

Tickets:
1st set:
https://www.instantseats.com/index.cfm

2nd set:
https://www.instantseats.com/index.cfm

Also, performances in New Jersey will be added.

And hey, it'll be great to see any of you who can make it out for any of these.

Steve

KC Island
#2962787 - 12/13/18 07:49 PM Re: SK "Evenings In The States" [Re: SK]
SK Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Shameless Plug, shamelessly continued...

Info on the excellent musicians with me:

Paul Langosch/bass

Bassist Paul Langosch began his studies on the double bass in 1969 with Albert Webster of the National Symphony and later continued private lessons with William Vaughn, also of the National Symphony.

Paul has worked with many of the leaders in the jazz world including: Phil Woods, Tal Farlow, Al Cohn, Mose Allison, Johnny Hartman, Bud Shank, Zoot Sims, Barney Kessel and Herb Ellis. Pauls touring credits include tours with Jon Hendricks, George Shearing, Rosemary Clooney, Mel Torme, Susanna McCorkle and Conte Candoli.

In 1985 Paul was invited by Tony Bennett to become a permanent member of his trio. His association with Mr. Bennett lasted over 20 years.

Victor Haskins, trumpet

Victor Haskins is an international performer, cornet and electronic wind instrument player, sound artist, improviser, interdisciplinary collaborator, and educator. He currently serves as the Director of In-School Jazz Ensembles for the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, Professor of Jazz Trumpet at the College of William & Mary, and Director of the Jazz Ensemble at the College of William & Mary. Previously, he served on the faculty of the inaugural Izmir International Jazz Camp (2012).

Haskins has performed with such musical masters as Marc Cary, Drew Gress, Craig Handy, Lonnie Liston-Smith, Jason Moran, Clarence Penn, and Phil Wiggins.

Emre Kartari/drums

Emre Kartari is a Turkish jazz percussionist. Born into a family of musicians and artists, he moved to the United States when he was ten. Soon after, he began to study drums, which led to studying jazz percussion with T. Howard Curtis at Virginia Commonwealth University. He holds an M.A. in jazz performance and composition from New York University and received the Barney Josephson Award in 2003.

He toured the United States with the spoken-word, hip-hop group, Jazz Poets Society. While in New York, Kartari studied with Adam Nussbaum, John Riley, Tony Moreno, Billy Hart and Jamey Haddad. He has performed with jazz greats including Charlie Byrd, Jim McNeely, Ralph Lalama, Vic Juris, Ron McClure, Mike Richmond and David Liebman.
His first CD as a leader, Perpetual Anxiety, is released in Turkey under the Dogan Music label. Kartari has played and recorded with his own quartet Origin, featuring David Liebman, John D'earth and Howard Curtis. Emre also recorded with the trio Big Girl, featuring Darius Jones and Trevor Dunn from John Zorn-Fantomas. As an educator, he worked with the New York Pops-Mentors in Music program.

He is currently working at the Hacettepe University in Ankara, Turkey, forming their first jazz program approved by the state. He is currently a member of Ya?ar University in Izmir, Turkey.

And a lot more info and videos on my Facebook page.

#2962825 - 12/14/18 06:09 AM Re: SK "Evenings In The States" [Re: SK]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia
Hey cool! Looking like some hang time in Richmond. The 13th is a Saturday Sunday- party at Eric's beforehand PianoBanana

Looking forward to this Steve. Best to you and Sue!

Edited by Markyboard (12/14/18 06:18 AM)

#2962923 - 12/14/18 12:01 PM Re: SK "Evenings In The States" [Re: Markyboard]
SK Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Hey Mark, it'll be nice to see you! So... is there really a hang at Eric's on the 13th? If so, what time? 'Maybe' I could make it - I have a sound check at 5PM.

#2962928 - 12/14/18 12:41 PM Re: SK "Evenings In The States" [Re: SK]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
Hi Steve.. wave

Sure wish I lived out that way. Great to hear you're coming in for some dates. Hopefully someone will do a little recording - even iPhone quality would be welcome- and capture the spontaneity of the moment . cool thu

It sounds to be a great band. I like Victor the little I've heard of him. Wishing you the best with it.

2005 NY Steinway D

#2962932 - 12/14/18 01:08 PM Re: SK "Evenings In The States" [Re: Dave Ferris]
davedoerfler Offline
KCFF League Champion 2017
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: the swamp
I should be able to make the Baltimore show, Steve. Look forward to seeing you again. Dave Ferris, I'll inquire with the artist and the venue as to recording audio, whether or not it is allowable (venue) or desirable (artist). Hopefully will get a green light. smile

#2962948 - 12/14/18 01:48 PM Re: SK "Evenings In The States" [Re: davedoerfler]
eric Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Virginia
Hey everyone and thanks to Markyboard for making me aware of this thread. I will check the calendar and see if there is the possibility for a hang prior to one of Steve's shows in Richmond!

#2962961 - 12/14/18 02:45 PM Re: SK "Evenings In The States" [Re: eric]
SK Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Eric, I think the idea was for everyone to show up at your house and surprise you. smile

#2962962 - 12/14/18 02:52 PM Re: SK "Evenings In The States" [Re: Dave Ferris]
SK Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Dave Ferris
Hi Steve.. wave

Sure wish I lived out that way. Great to hear you're coming in for some dates. Hopefully someone will do a little recording - even iPhone quality would be welcome- and capture the spontaneity of the moment . cool thu

It sounds to be a great band. I like Victor the little I've heard of him. Wishing you the best with it.
Hi Dave, it's fine with me if someone records it - although I think someone will probably record the Vagabond gig. Hopefully the one at An die Musik will be recorded - there's a a nice Mason & Hamlin grand. And yes, Victor is a real talent. His resume above of what he's achieved in just a few years is amazing.

Wish you could come out. Bring Linwood.
Best, Steve

#2962988 - 12/14/18 04:33 PM Re: SK "Evenings In The States" [Re: SK]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

OK, so I've got the green light from SK. I'll inquire with An die Musik to get that show recorded. One of my closest lifelong friends is a regular there, I'll use him for leverage if needed.

#2963021 - 12/15/18 02:15 AM Re: SK "Evenings In The States" [Re: eric]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia
Originally Posted By: eric
Hey everyone and thanks to Markyboard for making me aware of this thread. I will check the calendar and see if there is the possibility for a hang prior to one of Steve's shows in Richmond!

Btw I was just poke you (hope that doesn't get misinterpreted shocked ) . We can always pick a place in downtown Richmond to hang before the show.

#2963222 - 12/16/18 11:44 AM Re: SK "Evenings In The States" [Re: Markyboard]
marino Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rome, Italy
like like like like like

#2963278 - 12/16/18 09:53 PM Re: SK "Evenings In The States" [Re: davedoerfler]
SK Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: davedoerfler
OK, so I've got the green light from SK. I'll inquire with An die Musik to get that show recorded. One of my closest lifelong friends is a regular there, I'll use him for leverage if needed.
Thanks, Dave. Hopefully the venue is a green light too.

I understand this video was posted on KC (a few years ago}. It's the same bass player and me on these upcoming gigs. The video is down the page.

https://www.facebook.com/steve.kessler.52

Edited by SK (12/17/18 08:32 AM)

#2963332 - 12/17/18 09:29 AM Re: SK "Evenings In The States" [Re: SK]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

PM sent to SK

#2963368 - 12/17/18 11:54 AM Re: SK "Evenings In The States" [Re: davedoerfler]
SK Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Replied. Thanks Dave. It was a cool idea.

Dave tells me An die Musik has a no record policy, and I don't think I'll push it.

Bootlegs are encouraged!! cool cool cool

#2963493 - 12/18/18 06:35 AM Re: SK "Evenings In The States" [Re: SK]
Al Quinn Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Center Moriches, NY
Steve, I'm looking forward to learning more about your New Jersey performance. Depending on the time and place I'm hoping I can make it. It would be great to meet you in person and hear you live. I've been listening to your 3 Trios album and am completely blown away by your artistry!

#2963599 - 12/18/18 07:16 PM Re: SK "Evenings In The States" [Re: Al Quinn]
SK Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Hi Al, thanks, glad you enjoyed my CD/musical 'diary' from the beginning of this century.

I'm not sure yet about the NJ date(s), probably somewhere between Newark and Trenton, near the end of Jan./early Feb. It will be different musicians with me, but it'll be nice. I'll let you know when I know more.

Edited by SK (12/18/18 08:19 PM)
Edit Reason: deleted shameless plug about my sister's teacher of the year award at Westminster Choir College :)

#2969507 - 01/17/19 09:18 AM Re: SK "Evenings In The States" [Re: SK]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

anyone able to make the shows in Richmond?

I have tickets to both sets Saturday night in Baltimore City.

#2969525 - 01/17/19 10:44 AM Re: SK "Evenings In The States" [Re: davedoerfler]
Dave Bryce Administrator Offline
KCFFL Champ '14,'16,'18
20k Club

Loc: Thousand Oaks,CA,UNITED STATES
Two words: West Coast! poke grin

dB

rockit ==> David Bryce Music Funky Young Monks <==rawk

Professional affiliations: Cloud Microphones Crumar Reverb Foundry Roswell Pro Audio

#2970142 - 01/19/19 10:16 PM Re: SK "Evenings In The States" [Re: SK]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: SK

Baltimore, Md.:

January 19th, SK Acoustic Trio at An die Musik

just got back a while ago. What a show. thu
Terrible weather kept the crowd size down but that didn't affect the performance.
Gonna be a while before any recordings that may have happened are available. Keep your fingers crossed. cool

#2970287 - 01/20/19 02:12 PM Re: SK "Evenings In The States" [Re: davedoerfler]
ProfD Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Wash DC Area
Glad you were able to make Dave. Too much on my schedule prevented me from getting out. I'm sure SK and the band were great. cool

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"