Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NBA 2018-2019 Thread

Apparently, the Chris Paul-led huddle in the second quarter of the Nets game is what woke them up and turned them around. It was a good game to watch. They were playing with the intensity they had before both on offense and defense. I didn't get to see the win over the Bulls yesterday, but I suspect it was more of the same plus having Harden back.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are LOTS of rumors about the Melo experiment in Houston being over. He has been out with "an illness" for the last two games and didn't travel with the team for tonight's game in Denver.

There are also lots of articles saying the Rockets woes are not his fault, but OTOH, maybe he's so disruptive in the locker room or something they are. :idk:

I saw one article blaming the problems on what Morey did and who he let go during the offseason, but if anyone thinks that the poor performances of Harden and CP3 are because Ariza and LMAM are gone, they're crazy.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

It's official.

Dkfhz8iV4AIJELn.jpg

And now it's official. He's gone. He was a Rocket for 94 days, depending on how you count it exactly.

Watching them play the Rockets last night, while they looked poor (I think the starters didn't hit a single three-pointer), there weren't any issues to note between them. At one point, when Green messed up, running back they were talking and Green tapped himself taking the blame. Things seemed normal to me in that regard. :idk:

I'm thinking the Green/Durant thing is not that big of a deal.

I knew the Melo thing wasn't going to work out. I don't know what the Rockets were thinking with that.

• 4 weeks later...

I had no idea the Melo Curse would sit on the Rockets after they let him go. Or maybe it's because he's still officially with the team or whatever that situation is.

I can't tell if the Rockets are going to be awesome, terrible, or just blow a great lead to lose on any given night. What fun is that??? :idk:

Well.....every team that lets Melo go seems to improve.....so there's THAT.....
We're still waiting for that to stick. The Rockets have been incredibly up and down this year. Last year, we were sure they were dominant. This year, we're sure they COULD be dominant, and sometimes they are, while sometimes they're inexplicable.

• 2 weeks later...
Just when the Rockets looked like they were hitting their stride, CP3 pulls a hamstring, again. :facepalm: So what do the Rockets do? They signed Austin Rivers. Yes, that Austin Rivers, who says he has no beef with Paul. I hope not. The Rockets need a PG for all those times CP3 needs a rest.

• 3 weeks later...
Austin Rivers has turned out to be a bit of a revelation, Brandon Knight is starting to find his rhythm, and James Harden is a lock to be the MVP.

[knocks on wood]

Even when he gets injured, it doesn't last. The guy isn't close to fragile at all. He just gets back in there, almost every time.

• 1 month later...

Okay so Brandon Knight is gone but the Rockets have Manimal (he prefers to be called that :freak:) aka Kenneth Faried, Shumpert, and every new player was a mid-season pickup while all the offseason acquisitions are gone, including Melo. Go figure.

It's hard to believe Faried was let go by the Nets, they hardly played him, and neither did Denver.

Manimal and Capela are playing together sometimes for a "big" lineup, which is fun since the Rockets have been so guard heavy of late.

The one thing that's killing me though is that last season spoiled me. I'm so disappointed when they lose. I do think that part of it is because they're clearly good enough to win every game or nearly that many.

Harden is now solidly second on the list of players with games scoring 30 or more points, behind Wilt Chamberlain in first and ahead of Wilt Chamberlain in third! Chris Paul has climbed into the top ten of all time assist leaders, despite all those injuries. He's up there somewhere on steals as well.

• 1 month later...
Man, what's up with the Lakers? It's enough to take everyone's mind off of how bad the Knicks are.
Yeah, they suck. Suckity suck suck.

The Lakers are gearing up to join that hallowed group of teams across several sports that still are iconic even though they historically suck.....sometimes for decades.....think the Knicks, Dallas Cowboys, Notre Dame football....hard to believe Lebron was unable to lead them back to the promised land, all by his lonesome (not really)...

Magic was too niceand too preoccupied with the rest of his lifeto be an effective president of basketball operations.

Farewells to giants:

Sources: Magic exit stuns LeBron; Pelinka to stay

About Last Night: D-Wade and Dirk honored in style

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Magic wasn't "having Fun". Losing isn't fun, and the decisions Magic had to make were made more difficult. Someone has to take the fall for a Franchise that continues to struggle. Lebron can't do it alone anymore, he's getting older. I wonder how much longer he's going to play, he certainly has more than enough $$$ and wear and tear on the body will make the decision for him if he doesn't do it first.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I doubt LBJ will want to retire with a whimper; superstar egos want a year-long farewell tour a la Kobe, and someone who dubs themselves the GOAT will want an appropriate way to walkaway when that time comes.

How that squares with a difficult situation in need of a rebuild is anyone's guess...I think there are even odds this movie ends with LBJ on another team (gasp).

Magic walking...I thought legends didn't quit?

The Lakers suckity suck? With all those injuries? Realize the full first team consisting of LBJ, Ball, Kuzma, Ingram, McGee played a grand total of 20 games together due to injuries. When LBJ went down on Christmas day they were 4th in the west and 5th in league in defensive rating. You can't lose your entire high lottery pick roster plus the GOAT and expect anything good to happen.

Magic is a whole other thing. What a dick. I've loved the guy for years but man. He's an ego driven baby, it's all about him like some diva we all love to hate. Good grief he was the CEO of his own damn near billion dollar company. He didn't know or understand what it took to be VP of basketball operations? He's not having fun any more? Oh wahwahwahwah shut the F up...He couldn't man up and talk to Jeannie, Pelinka and LBJ before his disgraceful presser because he would start crying? Unbelievable. I can't speak for all Lakers fans but for me and some friends we have lost all respect for him. Remember him as a legendary player but that's it.

He was correct about one thing, that job is highly coveted by everybody in the league. They'll come up with a good replacement soon enough.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

I had high hopes for the 16-17 Lakers, with D'Angelo Russell, Jordan Clarkson, Brandon Ingram etc. They were young and inexperienced, but you could see the chemistry developing, homies having fun playing together.

I couldn't believe they traded Russell, and for what?

Imagine if they had Russell, Clarkson, Ingram and now with Kuzma and Ball, that would have been FIRE! I really believe they would have been able to build and grow together, and eventually challenge for the championship. Maybe even with Paul George there (did you see that 3-pt shot with 1.8 secs on the clock in the last game?)

But I guess we'll never know now. Meanwhile, Russell made the All-Star team and has taken the Nets to the playoffs.

edit:

I hope Bron with the Lakers isn't going to turn out like Jordan at the Wizards.

I couldn't believe they traded Russell, and for what?

Imagine if they had Russell, Clarkson, Ingram and now with Kuzma and Ball, that would have been FIRE!

The Russel trade had to be done, it was the only way to get anybody to eat Mosgov's ridiculous 84 mil contract. Without that, there would be no cap space for LBJ. AND, it was the Nets who drafted Kuzma and included him in the trade along with Lopez. I really liked Russel too but that was a good trade for the Lakers overall. Got rid of Mozgov and picked up Kuz and Lopez. Now, there's an argument they should have kept Lopez but I sort of think the way McGee played this season him and Lopez is a wash, they both did great this season.

Clarkson is a decent player but look at what he's done in Cleveland. He's ok and has his moments but not star caliber.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

The Russel trade had to be done, it was the only way to get anybody to eat Mosgov's ridiculous 84 mil contract. Without that, there would be no cap space for LBJ.

I'm no expert, but I always questioned the wisdom of bringing Bron in at this age for that kind of $$$. I felt that money could have been better spent on lesser-known players. But that (and the Mozgov thing) just illustrates where management is at. The fact that they talked about trading half the team for Davis is another one of those things.

Clarkson is a decent player but look at what he's done in Cleveland. He's ok and has his moments but not star caliber.

Yeah, he didn't impress me much at the Lakers either, but in a team not everybody has to be a star player. Sometimes you just need decent guys who gel with the stars and provide cohesion in a team. I really felt the Lakers had something to build on with the 16-17 roster. A few select veterans to bring some experience to the team would have been my preferred route.

One of the reasons I love the Dubs is that the nucleus of their team (Curry, Thompson, Green) are all GS lifers. They came in as rookies, and became the stars of their team. I had hopes something similar could have happened with the Lakers.