Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dexibell Vivo S9?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got an email this morning from Sweetwater saying the S9 is in stock and available for purchase.

is your s9 on the way?

I didnt order one. I just signed up to be notified when it got in stock.

I have a P7 and I wont buy anything else from Dexibell until they put enough user memory in it.

Got my SX7 and learned why the MIDI Rx and Tx are do difficult and need to be woodshedded thoroughly.

This was meant to be used by a Dexibell Controller using their own version of MIDI Language.

My guess is this Module was meant to hold an additional 1.5GBs of sounds to expand other controllers.

While these sounds arent better than my PC/DSP Rack for recording.

These sounds excellent on live midfield cabinets.

Noticeably punchier and in your face, like my discrete Audio hardware synths vrs. Zebra2 HZ and Omnisphere.

I wanted in on the Module. I believe theres a lot more coming to this DXS/T2L sampling/modeling stuff.

Off Off Off. This is MSB LSB and program change Columns on my Physis K4.

006. 000. 001. Odd numbers to call up a part in a 3 way memory that must be recalled on the #4 Channel of a 3 part performance.

Parts are channels 1/2/3 by default, then these Memories are recalled by a 4th Channel.

None of this is explained in the manual of course.

I just got tired of trying to follow the go to page 42, now back to 16 crap and started twisting MSB, LSB and PC messages.

Needless to say this is a great way to get rid of PCs and get the old hardware sampler kind of punch my old S760s had.

But we gots lotta mo memory than 128 MBs now.

Have fun.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

I got an email this morning from Sweetwater saying the S9 is in stock and available for purchase.

is your s9 on the way?

I didnt order one. I just signed up to be notified when it got in stock.

I have a P7 and I wont buy anything else from Dexibell until they put enough user memory in it.

does seem like if they were trying to one up nord they would have supplied at least what the stage has in memory.

.... Jeff /// Yamaha P515 /// Roll Tide

does seem like if they were trying to one up nord they would have supplied at least what the stage has in memory.

The boards are entirely different. Comparing the two based on memory is like comparing two cars based on the size of their gas tanks. Not really very meaningful.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The boards are entirely different. Comparing the two based on memory is like comparing two cars based on the size of their gas tanks. Not really very meaningful.

only referencing memory size for comparison....

nord piano4 & electro6 users are complaining that their boards should have received the 3gb of the stage as well.

comparing two cars based on the size of their gas tanks would be meaningful.

along with the avg mpg would give you the range of the vehicle.

I dont agree that they are entirely different. They have been compared to each other in the press. Ive heard the Kronos has over 200 GB to use. Dont get me wrong. I love playing my Dexibell. But with all the sounds they have in their library and access to SoundFont 2 sounds, 1.5 GB isnt enough. Sure the factory samples are always in the permanent memory and can be brought to the playable memory, but that makes for too much work. Just put in 20GB, at least, and their keyboards would be so much better and easier to use.

Got my SX7 and learned why the MIDI Rx and Tx are do difficult and need to be woodshedded thoroughly.

This was meant to be used by a Dexibell Controller using their own version of MIDI Language.

My guess is this Module was meant to hold an additional 1.5GBs of sounds to expand other controllers.

Off Off Off. This is MSB LSB and program change Columns on my Physis K4.

006. 000. 001. Odd numbers to call up a part in a 3 way memory that must be recalled on the #4 Channel of a 3 part performance.

Parts are channels 1/2/3 by default, then these Memories are recalled by a 4th Channel.

None of this is explained in the manual of course.

Well, the manual is somewhat confusing for the SX7 module because they often mention the S7 keyboard.

I dived into the manual a bit ...

Dexibel is a group of italian people formerly working for Roland,- so I tried to think "rolandish".

I guess, what they call "memory" is what we know as "performance" and that additional "fourth" MIDI channel might be nothing else than a "control channel" which already existed for the D50/ D550,- and meant to be globally recalling performances, which themselves are composed from 3 parts, each part able to receive MIDI on individual MIDI channels.

I expect those MIDI channels to be freely editable and possibly nothing restricts from setting all to the same MIDI channel number or any combo of individual numbers.

I also expect these performances ("memories") are stored in different locations than the "parts" where different "performances" can share same "parts,- the old rolandish memory structure nitemare known from almost all the former romplers and synths they designed.

So, when changing one part in a performance, all the other performances sharing that part are unintentionally changed too !

I recognize, to avoid that scenario, the user better moves selected factory parts from factory memory locations into user locations and rename, then edit for a specific creation of performance and save the overall renamed thingy to a user performance location too.

It´s cumbersome,- like it was in the past.

I understand one has to create his own (global) MIDI setting to make it work as desired,- and depending how it will be set up, any different brand controller will work normal w/ it.

I don´t own the Physis K4 unfortunately, but I believe it will be possible to match both items MIDI wise to a satisfaction.

They probably call a performance "memory" because on the keyboard instrument you press a "memory"-button recalling a performance.

Anyway,- it might be a good idea opening a new thread for the SX7 module alone because all gets mixed up here w/ the VIVO S9, S7 and S3.

:)

A.C.

I dont agree that they are entirely different. They have been compared to each other in the press. Ive heard the Kronos has over 200 GB to use. Dont get me wrong. I love playing my Dexibell. But with all the sounds they have in their library and access to SoundFont 2 sounds, 1.5 GB isnt enough. Sure the factory samples are always in the permanent memory and can be brought to the playable memory, but that makes for too much work. Just put in 20GB, at least, and their keyboards would be so much better and easier to use.

ohhh man.....watch out!

you may get him going on the different types of memory.... :facepalm:

I dont agree that they are entirely different. They have been compared to each other in the press.

My point was that the boards are different enough that no one would choose between them based on which has more memory, just as you would not choose between a van and a pickup truck based on which had the bigger gas tank. Other differences are much more significant, like that the Nord includes a VA synth, for example.

So getting back to jefsco's comment, then, just because Board A has some feature at a given price does not mean that Board B should be able to have the same feature at the same price, because you have to allow for the fact that Board B may have other features that Board A does not have. Or as I've said before, there are lots of features you can find in thousand dollar boards, but if you put them all into the same board, you don't have a thousand dollar board anymore. The Nord and Dexibell are both going to have some things the other doesn't.

But also, in this case, comparing memory without looking at what you can do with the memory can be misleading, kind of like comparing the size of gas tanks without taking into account that the vehicles could have different MPG figures, such that the one with the smaller gas tank could actually have more range. Depending on what you want to do, less memory in a Dexibell could be more effective for you than more memory in a Nord... for example the Dexibell permits you to load custom sounds that have multiple velocity layers into its memory, the Nord does not. So which memory setup is "better" may depend on what you need to do with it, not which has the bigger number.

Ive heard the Kronos has over 200 GB to use. Dont get me wrong. I love playing my Dexibell. But with all the sounds they have in their library and access to SoundFont 2 sounds, 1.5 GB isnt enough. Sure the factory samples are always in the permanent memory and can be brought to the playable memory, but that makes for too much work. Just put in 20GB, at least, and their keyboards would be so much better and easier to use.

Kronos comes with 60 GB SSD. The user can add additional storage, I don't know what the limit is. But even within the 60 GB, I believe there are still limits to how much of that data can be made available simultaneously, without manually swapping stuff in and out, if for no other reason than there are a limited number of Program locations, and also that at some point the "pre-load" needed for certain combinations of sounds could possibly exceed the 3 GB available total RAM.

But as for putting 20+ GB into other boards, depending on the architecture of the board and the kind of memory/storage it needs to use, putting in that kind of capacity could be cost prohibitive. You can't assume that since Kronos uses a high capacity SSD to do what it does, so could Dexibel (or Nord). Kronos supports the kind of storage it does and the use of that storage as virtual memory because it incorporates a PC running Linux. That's one approach to building a high end board. A trade-off in their design is it takes 2+ minutes to boot. You can't have everything...

Something else that complicates cross-manufacturer tech comparisons is that it is not always feasible for one company to do exactly what another company does, as different companies may have different talent/expertise or proprietary and/or patented technologies available to them. Possibly relevant is that Korg has inherent engineering talent in apps and plug-ins, it is a big part of what it does, which perhaps makes it more sensible for them to build a board out of what seems to be basically a "VST plug-ins on a computer" approach, albeit with a bunch of additional customizations.

ETA:

ohhh man.....watch out!

you may get him going on the different types of memory.... :facepalm:

yup!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

So getting back to jefsco's comment, then, just because Board A has some feature at a given price does not mean that Board B should be able to have the same feature at the same price, because you have to allow for the fact that Board B may have other features that Board A does not have. Or as I've said before, there are lots of features you can find in thousand dollar boards, but if you put them all into the same board, you don't have a thousand dollar board anymore.

except that i made no reference to price, and did not imply that if the additional memory was added the price should remain the same.

so none of that applies to my comments.

except that i made no reference to price, and did not imply that if the additional memory was added the price should remain the same.

Ah. You talked about them "trying to one up nord" and the S9 is already priced in Nord territory, so I was thinking comparable price.

Ah. You talked about them "trying to one up nord" and the S9 is already priced in Nord territory, so I was thinking comparable price.

You just dont get it, do you? Youve had the same problem in other threads. The Dexibell S9 is very similar to the Nord Stage 3. In fact they are competing in the same areas. Of course each is going to have qualities the other doesnt. The Nord has a synth section. The Dexibell doesnt. The Dexibell beats the Nord hands down in polyphony. They both have free sample downloads. Thats ALWAYS going to be true with keyboards competing in the same market segment. As far as memory goes, what the hell are you talking about? Are you trying to suggest that any manufacturer is going to use memory chips that no one else uses? Really? And what would they use that isnt on the market available for anyone else to use? All the stuff you said about this manufacturer having their own way of doing things is rubbish. That doesnt address the point. Dexibell is a new player without the same name recognition that other brands like Korg or Nord have, for example. So they have to try harder. Their pianos take up more memory than most other manufacturers, or so they say in a comparison chart. So they need to have more sample memory in their pianos. Plain and simple. Lose the obfuscation and give it up.

The Dexibell S9 is very similar to the Nord Stage 3. In fact they are competing in the same areas. Of course each is going to have qualities the other doesnt. The Nord has a synth section. The Dexibell doesnt.

I guess the knobby VA synth is what puts it in a different category for me. But if someone doesn't care about that and is just comparing pianos/organs/sampled sounds, okay, yeah, I guess they could end up choosing between these anyway.

The Dexibell beats the Nord hands down in polyphony.

I think that's pretty unimportant, personally. It's not like you see lots of Nord owners (or potential owners) complaining about polyphony. It has enough to satisfactorily play a gig.

As far as memory goes, what the hell are you talking about? Are you trying to suggest that any manufacturer is going to use memory chips that no one else uses? Really? And what would they use that isnt on the market available for anyone else to use? All the stuff you said about this manufacturer having their own way of doing things is rubbish.

Dealing with large sample sets (i.e. bigger than available RAM) is a tricky thing to do, unless you're running Mac/Windows/Linux. As I said, Kronos does it by essentially having a Linux computer inside, as did Muse Receptor. (I'm not sure what Korg does on some of the newer models that have large piano samples.) Kurzweil takes a different approach with their flashplay, but that's patented, so whatever they're doing, no one else can do it exactly like that. Nord doesn't use RAM, but plays the samples directly from flash, addressing the flash as if it were RAM, and that works well but it is an expensive way to do it, as it requires a special kind of flash (NOR rather than NAND). Yamaha has taken a similar approach with Motif XF and MOXF, and the 1 GB NOR flash card is $270, so you could imagine what 20 GB would be! So yes, there are different kinds of "memory chips" and different technologies that use them, some of which are proprietary, and all of which have their pros and cons. You can learn more about this at https://www.micron.com/~/media/documents/products/product-flyer/nor_nand_flash_guide.pdf

Dexibell is a new player without the same name recognition that other brands like Korg or Nord have, for example. So they have to try harder. Their pianos take up more memory than most other manufacturers, or so they say in a comparison chart. So they need to have more sample memory in their pianos. Plain and simple. Lose the obfuscation and give it up.

I believe Korg has bigger-than-Dexibell pianos in Kronos, Grandstage, Krome, and Vox Continental; and Kurzweil in the Forte. Roland V-Piano (incl. RD-2000) uses modeling, so there is no sample size to compare (Roland's next-rung-down SuperNatural uses a hybrid sampling/modeling approach). But more than any of that, sample size is not necessarily determinative of sound quality. Lots of people like Nord pianos better than Kronos, even though Kronos pianos are something like 20 times bigger. There is more than one way to skin the cat, and you don't necessarily need more memory for a better piano sound. What matters is the sound, not the spec. Dexibell's 1.5 (?) GB piano is already much larger than Nord's largest piano (about 200 MB). You can decide for yourself whether you think it sounds better. Either way, I don't believe that Dexibell "needs to have more sample memory in their pianos...Plain and simple." What it has to have is a strong combination of sound and features, however they get there.

The highest octaves need help on all of their instruments except Pianos.

The sound quality of the engine is phenomenal though.

Found some decent SF2 Saxophones and even a Fat Bari for TOP Section work.

These guys need some more sounds instead of relying on SF2s though.

Sad actually because I ran out of time programming and learning and wanted to stop dragging a Racked PC around.

Ill try again in 2019.

The sound of this engine is why Im hopeful for Dexibell.

It just barks at you, youre expecting it to clip but the output is just Hot & Fat.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

• 3 months later...
I would be happy if they did nothing more than offer a memory upgrade for their pianos.

Piano sounded okay to me. It's mostly other sounds that are in more need of improvement. And on some models, a better action would be welcomed, but I don't think they have many options there.

I would be happy if they did nothing more than offer a memory upgrade for their pianos.

Piano sounded okay to me. It's mostly other sounds that are in more need of improvement. And on some models, a better action would be welcomed, but I don't think they have many options there.

Yes the pianos that come with it are great. The problem is when a user wants to use the Platinum Pianos. They are about 3 times as large as the regular piano samples. To use them I will need to delete almost all the sounds in the my P7. Even then I could only load one Platinum piano at a time. Granted all the factory samples are in a permanent ROM memory that can be recalled. But it would be a pain to have to delete a Platinum piano and reload those sounds into the performance memory any time I want to use them. There are many useful pads, bass guitars, strings etc. The problem would be solved if Dexibell would offer a memory upgrade of 10 to 20gb. Then I could load all the Platinum pianos and have any other sounds I want to use.

The problem would be solved if Dexibell would offer a memory upgrade of 10 to 20gb.

Probably very expensive if implemented the way they implement their current 1.5 gb, but requiring a complete re-design to do it differently. We've seen 3 to 6 GB offering from Kurz and Yamaha, but they use proprietary patented approaches. I'm curious about what Korg does in some of their higher capacity boards (other than Kronos which uses PC motherboard, Linux and SSD).

• 1 month later...
Anyone know if you could play one sound on the S9, say a piano, and via a midi connected keyboard, play another sound (organ) set to another midi channel on a second keyboard, and still have the full keyboard range on both boards? In looking at the manual, I see how something almost like this is possible using the keyboard zone feature, but I wouldnt want to limit the keyboard area for either sound. If someone has done this, would appreciate some info on the setup. Havent found this particular configuration discussed on the internet. Answer will likely drive if I go with S9 or S7 pro.
Hammond XK5, Alesis QS8, Yamaha DX7IIFD, Roland XV2020 (SRX-11 & 12), Kawai RX7, Scheidmayer Clavichord, Strymon (Flint, Big Sky, Timeline, Mobius, Ola, El Capistan), Neo Ventilator II

Anyone know if you could play one sound on the S9, say a piano, and via a midi connected keyboard, play another sound (organ) set to another midi channel on a second keyboard, and still have the full keyboard range on both boards? In looking at the manual, I see how something almost like this is possible using the keyboard zone feature, but I wouldnt want to limit the keyboard area for either sound.

You would not use the keyboard zone feature, which is for using the S9 to control external gear, not for allowing external gear to control the S9 (but as a point of interest, zones can have any key range at all, including the full keyboard range). The feature you want to look into is setting the different S9 Parts to receive on different channels (which you can definitely do), and then how/whether you can trigger them externally while preventing them from being triggered from the internal keys (I don't know). But IF that works, yes, each keyboard would be able to play its assigned sound over its full key range.

• 8 months later...

I previously slammed the Dexibell and "thought" it was defective. MY sincere apologies to those who read my epitaph and rant.

I decided to DELETE my post because I was very quick to jump the gun and blame Dexibell.

Out of all my complaints - the biggest one is the lack of memory - that's it.

There is a polyphony limitation, EVEN if Dexibell says there isn't - and I'm working with Dexibell to clarify this.

I've attached what I am referring to:

1. MAIN = Japan Live

2. COUPLE = Strings

3. COUPLE FADER = 0

4. Sustain Octave Bass C

5. While sustained - play an arpeggio - polyphony limitation kicks in

6. Turn COUPLE off, do the same arpeggio - polyphony limitation is removed

So - the "unlimited polyphony", from what I gather, ONLY pertains to piano MAIN only, NOT when it's "coupled" with another sound. Is it a deal breaker? ONLY if that's how you play, and you want to bring strings in under it (or some other layered sound).

I have, however, been getting used to the keyboard - and getting used to the piano sounds - it actually is starting to grow on me.

and YES, I am still surprised at the lack of privately owned videos of people who own this particular keyboard.

I own a Yamaha Genos (I'm a Tyros guy) - and when the Genos first came out - it sold like hot cakes! It's a $5K keyboard (when it first came out) - and people put up youtube videos unboxing, reviews, all over the place. Yet - the Dexibell - not the case.

From that respect - yeah - I'm a little bummed - however - not a deal breaker.

So - to Dexibell - I apologize for the rant - I just expected to be "wowed" and instead - I had to figure out how to "wow" myself! LOL!!!

AND I couldn't attach the file - too big. I DID send it to PianoManChuck, though.

Okay - I am really surprised, and I can comfortably say this, that nobody OWNS this keyboard, the Dexibell VIVO S9. Why? Because the last post in this thread was January of 2019. Not to mention - there are absolutely NO "UNBOXING" youtube videos and NOT ONE PERSONAL review or NOT ONE person really using it. However -ALL of the DEMO videos, and I will say, 80% of them if NOT 90% is Ralph Schink demoing the keyboard - they've made this keyboard sound AMAZING!!!

I'm sorry to hear of your 'lower than expected' experience with this keyboard... Most people who've come to expect a lot from ANY product due to a ton of hype will almost always be in for disappointment.

That being said, as a Dexibell reseller, I can tell you that I've sold about half a dozen of these this year... so your statement of "nobody OWNS this keyboard" is not true. Half a dozen sales of this board isn't very much, but the more a keyboard costs, the less it sells. I say this with a 100% level of confidence because I've sold a ton of Casio keyboards this year and, as the price increases, the number of sales decreases. I don't sell many Nord keyboards due to the same reasoning of higher price. Now.... as for feedback from those who've purchased the Dexibell S9 from me, its been all positive and with excitement. That doesn't mean that ALL purchasers of ANY product will be happy with it as you've just demonstrated with your disappointment. I can also tell you with a high level of confidence that the majority of owners of ANY product (not just keyboards) will never participate in any online forums, and even less will produce a video with it. So your statements about nobody owning this board is not based on reality other than what you have, or haven't, seen on the internet.

As for 'no videos other than Ralph Schink'.... I just went to Google and typed in "Dexibell S9" and then clicked VIDEOS to narrow down the results. Out of the tons of results, at least the first 9 pages are filled with videos of the S9. A lot of those are music retailers doing demo's, I'll give you that.... but its not 100% of the videos.

Personally, I've not tried an S9 yet. I'm still trying to get a review unit, so until that happens, I can't render any kind of opinion of it. You on the other hand, CAN render your opinion and I appreciate what you've personally relayed to us. IF I can get a demo unit, I may either agree with your findings, or I might find it to be the greatest thing since sliced bread, or somewhere in between. Until then, what you've written is one person's opinion. Unfortunately, its going to take time to hear from others because of the low sales numbers (due to it being high priced) and the fact that the majority of owners do not participate in forums or make videos about it.

PianoManChuck

Authorized reseller: Casio, Dexibell, Kurzweil, Nord, iLoud, Viscount

Keyboard Reviews +

I have the S3 and I think the vivo piano sound is mediocore ,and I almost got rid of it for that reason and also the action is not that great ,but I got my nephew to load the Japanese platinum piano sound on it and that is one of my favorite piano sounds , I also have the RD 2000 and the Kawi MP 11 . The piano sound on the others are good but Dexibell Japanese platinum is a more natural and organic sounding piano . With the Japanese Platinum you get like 4 different sounding pianos , the Japanese Platinum , the Japanese Platinum Live and the Japanese Classical Platinum the fourth I cant remember ,I do not use that one but the first two are stereo pianos and the Classical is Mono and sounds great on Jazz and Ballads .The electric pianos are tweakable and can be made to sound better they also have a new download for the Rhodes piano sound ,it might be called Rhodes platinum . I like the organ sounds and the strings sound also .

I've seen a few users posting about the S9 on the Piano World Forum, most seem happy with it. I haven't tried it so I can't say, but there are definitely users out there.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

I"m very partial in this since I"m a Dexibell endorser since May, I bought the module and have an S9 on loan. I"ll be talking to the people at Dexibell about features I"d like to see implemented (or removed! ;-) ) and such, so if you have any ideas feel free to pass them on to me. I think they have a great thing going and although I don"t use the S9 for everything it really shines as a stage piano.