Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

DeepMind 12 + Peak or Prophet Rev2 with keys

Hello guys,

I have a big dylema.

I have a max 1900 budget.

I hesitate between to options :

1/ Buy a Deepmind 12 (the one with with keys) + the Peak.

2/ Buy the Prophet Rev2 (the one with the keys with 16 voices of polyphony).

I was hesitating between the Peak and the Rev2... And was almost going to buy the Prophet because I didn't know which very good controller with good synth action I coud buy.

But thanks to your answers from a previous post, I thought of buying another cheap synth so that I can use his action. The DM and his keyboard are maybe a good thing ?

I don't know if it's great or not ?

If yes I'd get two very nice synths for under the price of the Prophet.

The only issue is that I played 1h the Rev2 and I really liked it !!!

Can you help me and give me your thougts on this ?

I'm a jazz player and I want to put synths in my setup slowly but surely :)

Nord Electro 6D / Prophet Rev2/ Digitakt / Minilogue / Keyscape -

New video :

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

biggest factor here to me is the number of keys, with the Deepmind 12 being one octave shorter. If you liked the Prophet you can't go wrong there, then, and it will be an easier set up live if you decide to use it live. Also it will be easier learning just one synth as opposed to two synths. Great to have so many choices. :thu:

I really like the Peak and wish it came in a keyboard version. I still own an origional Prophet 8 which is now 10 years old. The keyboard on the Rev2 is much nicer, IMO.

:nopity:

I really like the Peak and wish it came in a keyboard version. I still own an origional Prophet 8 which is now 10 years old. The keyboard on the Rev2 is much nicer, IMO.

I totally agree ! A Peak with a keyboard version !!!

And yes... I really liked the Rev2 action.

New video :

The Peak is going to be more versatile. If you are using this on stage to cover a lot of different synth parts that could be a big factor. On the other hand, if you are just looking for something for the bedroom studio and already have a computer full of VSTi's that versatility looses some importance.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

The Peak is going to be more versatile. If you are using this on stage to cover a lot of different synth parts that could be a big factor. On the other hand, if you are just looking for something for the bedroom studio and already have a computer full of VSTi's that versatility looses some importance.

Thank you !

Is the Peak REALLY more versatile ?

New video :

Thank you !

Is the Peak REALLY more versatile ?

One more osc per voice. More filter options. More effects. ect...

The DM and his keyboard are maybe a good thing?

There were issues with the keybeds of early production runs of the DM12, but I don't think that's the case anymore. I bought one a few months ago, and it's fine. I have no problems with it, and I'm pretty picky.

Don't know what your intended usage is, but if you're playing out live the Rev 2 is going to be a heck of a lot easier to set up and play. Plus it does splits and layers, which I don't believe a Peak can handle. I suppose you could layer the Peak with the DM12, but that's an added level of complexity - and I like keeping it simple when I'm gigging.

When I googled Peak and Rev2, there's a ton of comparisons of these two synths if you want to just totally geek out on it.

Don't know what your intended usage is, but if you're playing out live the Rev 2 is going to be a heck of a lot easier to set up and play. Plus it does splits and layers, which I don't believe a Peak can handle. I suppose you could layer the Peak with the DM12, but that's an added level of complexity - and I like keeping it simple when I'm gigging.

plus one :thu:

If you have an existing KB your are comfortable with you might want to consider the DM12 Desktop version. That unit is now priced at $599 brand new in the box. I have read some of the complaints about the KB version being clunky, and the Desktop version would eliminate the KB and cost less.

I believe that Behringer is making an excellent synth and as it is with that company, at a bargain price.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

You risk a more complicated and I predict somewhat wasteful approach with the Deep Mind/Peak combo. Do you plan to run both to your mixer? How are you going to switch between using sounds from one vs the other? Please don't misunderstand me, it can be done a number of ways but I'm wondering if you thought this out since it sounds like this is all new to you.

I suggest buying one thing at a time. If you're leaning towards the DM/Peak combo buy the DM first. It may be all you really need. You can always buy the Peak once you're familiar with the DM capabilities and sound. Not trying to dissuade you from the Rev 2 or the Peak both of which are very very good.

You can learn the Peak by controlling it with your Casio, but for the immediacy of playing it as a separate instrument alongside (or above) your Casio, you will need a second keyboard for sure. Adding the Deepmind gives you the option of using it as a controller for the Peak, leaving the Peak at home and using Deepmind sounds, or using sounds from both ( with the added complexity ). But, be realistic about how likely you are to learn 2ndifferent synth architectures. :)

You can learn the Peak by controlling it with your Casio, but for the immediacy of playing it as a separate instrument alongside (or above) your Casio, you will need a second keyboard for sure. Adding the Deepmind gives you the option of using it as a controller for the Peak, leaving the Peak at home and using Deepmind sounds, or using sounds from both ( with the added complexity ). But, be realistic about how likely you are to learn 2ndifferent synth architectures. :)

Yes ;)

Maybe the Rev2 Can conversation eveything the Peak and the deepmind do ?

New video :

Since you are a jazzplayer you probably want better keys. Thats where the Dave smith shines. If I were you I would also buy one synth and learn how to program and play it well. If Nik Semrad can do with a prophet 8......just my 5. Currently I am focusing on my moog model D.

Hello guys,

I have a big dylema.

I have a max 1900 budget.

I hesitate between to options :

1/ Buy a Deepmind 12 (the one with with keys) + the Peak.

2/ Buy the Prophet Rev2 (the one with the keys with 16 voices of polyphony).

I was hesitating between the Peak and the Rev2... And was almost going to buy the Prophet because I didn't know which very good controller with good synth action I coud buy.

But thanks to your answers from a previous post, I thought of buying another cheap synth so that I can use his action. The DM and his keyboard are maybe a good thing ?

I don't know if it's great or not ?

If yes I'd get two very nice synths for under the price of the Prophet.

Can you help me and give me your thougts on this ?

I think that the Peak is one step above the other two synths you mention, both soundwise and as a programming platform. I would get a Peak first, then you'll probably realize that the other two are redundant.

I agree. That PEAK is really all you need, if you have the $$$ to buy it. It costs more than the Deepmind 12, but I believe its a higher quality 8 voice hybrid synth. Wonderful analog filter, lovely harmonics.

Check out Sonic Lab Review of the Peak, there are Part 1,2, and 3. Nick Batt at the KB. excellent review/demo with examples.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Still looking for it on youtube.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I think that the Peak is one step above the other two synths you mention, both soundwise and as a programming platform.

I agree. That PEAK is really all you need

I agree also, number 1 on my wish list. However if Dexter needs a second keyboard for live, non studio work, then a controller is needed if he wants a 2 keyboard rig as the Peak is only available in a module. This seems to be the current dilemma.

Dexter, Get the Rev2 if you plan to play a synth live rather than use it as a sound design laboratory. I am going to sound like Fred. The question is not whether you can get more sounds with two synths than with one. The question is whether you can bond with a particular synth and allow yourself to speak through it. Any one of these synths is going to give you more sounds than you could use on a gig, and fewer sounds than you will think you need when auditioning sounds at home. The trick is to get a synth which is mostly sweet spot so that you can develop your vocabulary, not a synth with millions of sounds. (Actually, there are millions of sounds between a closed low pass filter and an open low pass filter on any of these synths). Rev2 fits the bill.

As Fred mentioned, Nick Semrad is worth studying. He's got a well developed vocabulary on synth.

[video:youtube]doozZpX-DUw

Cory Henry of course.

I would add Brad Mehldau with Mark Guiliana:

[video:youtube]Mrokp2Pmapg

More importantly, study yourself and the sounds you are drawn to. There is no wrong answer and no one right way to play a synth. Record every jam session and every happy accident. Rinse, repeat until confident that you have something to say. Then when you get on stage you do what Charlie Parker would do. You forget all the tricks you memorized and just wail.

I suppose most of you folks are more "sold" on the Rev 2 than I am. For live performance it is better than buying a rack or desktop, then buying a separate controller. So if live performance is the most important criteria, one keyboard that does it all is a better fit. From watching Nick Batt from Sonic lab reviews the Rev 2 gets high marks for front panel controls that will make life easier for live work.

In terms of sound, filter, and other features of the Peak, it is also a good choice, but obviously, better for creating sounds and studio work. I found it very interesting that Daniel Fisher of Sweetwater used the Peak to recreate vintage analog creations from the seventies that nailed them.

Drop back 10 and Punt.

Mike T.

Daniel Fisher used the Peak to recreate vintage analog creations from the seventies that nailed them.

That was the final reason for me being sold, already having like the unit. :thu:

And as soon as I buy the Peak they will come out with a keyboard version. :laugh:

>> The question is not whether you can get more sounds with two synths than with one. The question is whether you can bond with a particular synth and allow yourself to speak through it. Any one of these synths is going to give you more sounds than you could use on a gig, and fewer sounds than you will think you need when auditioning sounds at home. The trick is to get a synth which is mostly sweet spot so that you can develop your vocabulary, not a synth with millions of sounds.

THIS, above all else. Depending on what *kind* of jazz player you are, you may be better suited to just one additional keyboard or ready to really dive into a controller and module. There is also an honorable gap between traditional jazz lion material and Sun Ra. Even learning to tweak a sound could pull you too far from polishing your chops, or be a breath of fresh air. I wish I could offer everyone like yourself a day at Sweetwater Sound, a rare oasis of Everything, where you can lay hands to all of the gear in r/t and find that sweet spot between sound and feel.

The DeepMind is monotimbral (no splits or layers), but that might suit your style well. There's also no law stating that you can't run the Peak from the DM live and simply turn their volumes on and off at your mixer or at a pair of volume pedals, giving you two distinct instruments. They each have different characters, so the contrasting colors are a point to consider. The Rev2 is only 4 octaves in length, paraphonic and also partially configured to be a bit of a hub for modular gear. That's the kind of sifting and weighing you have to do in your considerations. Being a piano player before synths ever appeared, my suggestion is to take up the DeepMind alone and get more comfortable with the synth aspect of things. If you take to it at all, I'll bet you'll also take up the Peak after a while. You could also wind up liking just the one added voice for contrasts, pads and solos. Step one: Start! Just buy conservatively at first and allow yourself time to become more knowledgeable. Then you can add pieces more productively. It'll save you both money and madness. Don't ask how I know. :hitt:

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

That is a very good Sweetwater video on the Peak. The one thing that bothers me is his "Wont Get Fooled Again" patch. In reality, as he said, it is a Lowery organ played through the filter of a synth. This gives you monophonic harmonics. With his patch, the filters are polyphonic and you can hear harmonies in the filter that are absent in the recording.

Daniel Fisher used the Peak to recreate vintage analog creations from the seventies that nailed them.

That was the final reason for me being sold, already having like the unit. :thu:

And as soon as I buy the Peak they will come out with a keyboard version. :laugh:

I wouldn't worry about a Peak with KB coming out anytime soon. An interview with one of their techs included a statement that "Everyone has a KB they can use for a controller."

Novation just came out with Firmware 1.2 as of this weekend that adds more wave table choices and two more LFO's.

Check it out.

Mike T.

• 1 year later...

Hello all of you,

I stepped back into this thread accidently and saw I didn't say thank you.

I ended up buying the Rev2, because of the quality of keys, possibility of split, and the renown of the brand.

As soon as I played it I was convinced, very good sound and sensations :)

I have a long road to understand how to play it well... Here's a video

but as you can hear, it's not really using the Prophet sound capabilities !! I'm more playing it as a keyobard player here...

I want to slowly but surely but synths in my compositions and I hope I'll find how to do that.

But anyway, your answers were all very interesting and thanks to you I made the best choice for me, I think.

Wish you all the best, and long live to synths ! :)

New video :

The question is not whether you can get more sounds with two synths than with one. The question is whether you can bond with a particular synth and allow yourself to speak through it. Any one of these synths is going to give you more sounds than you could use on a gig, and fewer sounds than you will think you need when auditioning sounds at home. The trick is to get a synth which is mostly sweet spot so that you can develop your vocabulary, not a synth with millions of sounds.

+1

I had to learn this lesson a few times over the years.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.