Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland V-Combo VR-09

Hi Folks. If you don't mind, I have an urgent question. I am playing tonight in a trio so I am playing the bass lines. For the first time I am using the vr09 organ in split mode. I wanted to set the expression pedal to affect just the upper sound. I went into the menu and set it to do so, but it is still affecting the entire keyboard. Any idea what I am doing wrong? I have about three hours to figure this out. Thanks!
"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

• 3 weeks later...

MS windows does not allow several applications to access the same Midi port.

You have to use 'virtual' midi ports, e.g.:

VR09-port => BOME => virt. port => Reaper

AFAIR the pro version of Bome is shipped with virtual ports.

For complex multiplexing, try (freeware) CopperLan:

VR09-port => CopperLan => virt. port 1 => BOME

................................... => virt. port 2 => Reaper

................................... => virt. port 3 => ....

Everytime I see someone posting to this thread I open it hoping for another OS update... damn it, we're never satisfied :D

I'm with you!

I just want the ability to change registrations from an external source.. That's all..... some day.....sigh.....

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

Everytime I see someone posting to this thread I open it hoping for another OS update... damn it, we're never satisfied :D

I'm with you!

I just want the ability to change registrations from an external source.. That's all..... some day.....sigh.....

For me, that's the wish list:

1) a new pedal wah effect (c'mon that's not very hard).

2) more realistic tube amp emulations as overdrive types (selected the same way one would select the delay or reverb type, when you move the knob. this too, not very hard)

3) effects (and tone/comp) assignable on both sides of a split/layer (guess that, if possible, it would require a little menu diving. Something like this: Menu > EFX > Overdrive (select Upper/Lower/Both) > MFX (select Upper/Lower/Both) > Tone (select Upper/Lower/Both).

4) assignable outs.

And an honorable mention that is not an OS update: a propper and lightweight lower manual option, plug and play style like the Mojo Lower or the Hammond XK Lower.

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

• 1 month later...

I think I may have found a bug in the V Combo editor. When layering sounds in the top half of the split section not all of the sounds respond to "damper off" setting.

This is when damper is set to "lower only" and I believe it's the second slot in the top part that is unresponsive to the setting. The other three seem to work fine so just used those.

dreamcommander.bandcamp.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hey there

err, no firmware upgrade (sorry guys), but a HOTFIX release 1.12.9 of V-Combo EDITR and SYNTH

http://ctrlr.org/roland-vr09-vr730-v-combo-editor

http://ctrlr.org/roland-vr09-vr730-v-combo-synth

fixed bug: the DEL-button of the SYNTHESIZER registration deletes all registrations and editor settings

Hi

I am new here having only just found the forum, but am very intrigued by the editor that franky46 has put together.

I bought the VR-09B when it came out (I preferred the colour scheme!) and I bought it pretty much solely because of the Transistor Organ. I am playing '60s garage and psychedlia and have been looking for a good reliable Farfisa (so I won't get an original then!). Unfortunately the built in Transisitor organ really doesn't cut the mustard; I can't get the lightness of the Vox Continental or that drone and drive of the Farfisa. Can this software help me, or do I leave the VR on ebay and use the funds for a new Vox Continental?

Thanks in advance.

Hey there

err, no firmware upgrade (sorry guys), but a HOTFIX release 1.12.9 of V-Combo EDITR and SYNTH

http://ctrlr.org/roland-vr09-vr730-v-combo-editor

http://ctrlr.org/roland-vr09-vr730-v-combo-synth

fixed bug: the DEL-button of the SYNTHESIZER registration deletes all registrations and editor settings

Hi

I am new here having only just found the forum, but am very intrigued by the editor that franky46 has put together.

I bought the VR-09B when it came out (I preferred the colour scheme!) and I bought it pretty much solely because of the Transistor Organ. I am playing '60s garage and psychedlia and have been looking for a good reliable Farfisa (so I won't get an original then!). Unfortunately the built in Transisitor organ really doesn't cut the mustard; I can't get the lightness of the Vox Continental or that drone and drive of the Farfisa. Can this software help me, or do I leave the VR on ebay and use the funds for a new Vox Continental?

Thanks in advance.

The software will give you more editing options, but if you've already explored the menu options and are still not enjoying the organ I'd say you're better off looking for a secondhand Nord Electro or similar. The NE has a fairly excellent Farf, Vox, and a bunch of simple interface FX to get psychedelic with.

• 11 months later...

v.1.12.10 'XXmas release' : https://ctrlr.org/roland-vr09-vr730-v-combo-editor

intermediate update: for new features and fixed bugs, click new 'version info' button on the V-KEYBOARD tab

2020 will (hopefully) see new exiting features:

- 2 additonal 'bass-voices' increasing multi-timbrality to 9 voices ( + organ + GM-voices)

- 4 zone split (yeah!)

- coupling of EDITOR to VR registration program changes (see next post) to load deep synth sounds saved in the editor

- better integration of GM2 part

Demo: 4 zone split with bass-voice and organ bass (load registration 1-2 from UPG-file): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gVYI6uyKe-2Q2YGgOUfLkohnYGzxgIwi

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year "XXXX" ;)

VR09: sending registration program changes , GM2 easy setup, facebook group

(1) registration program changes:

When studying again and again the VR09 documentation we struggled over the following line:

"You can specify the program change numbers that are transmitted from the MIDI OUT connector when you select a registration"

wait....'MIDI OUT connector'.... could it be... is it possible ... YES: in fact, BANK-PC changes can be send for each registration - but they are only transmitted on the 5-pin Midi sockets, not the midi-USB !

This allows:

- triggering songbook software (e.g. MobileSheets for Windows)

- triggering external keys or DAWS/VST

Unfortunately it's not possible (until we hack this) to send registration program changes TO the VR.

Howto:

load a registration, on VR open 'menu', goto to 'MIDI', set "Send PC switch " to ON + set bankMSB, bankLSB and PCnum (attention, PCnum is from 1-128 corresponding to midi values 0-127), save this back to the registration: now when loading this registration, the VR sends the MSB-LSB-PC program change.

Tip: Midiman/Midisport boxes are inexpensive and work fine for connecting the 5-Pin midi-sockets to PC-USB and other keys

Note : 2020 EDITOR updates will probably add an extension to the UPG-File editor for changing the PC/bank numbers.

(2) GM easy setup:

you can easily couple the VR to itself (without using software/hardware midi routers) for playing GM-sounds:

- connect 5-pin Midi out with Midi-in using a conventional midi (patch) cable

- in the VR menu "MIDI' set TX channels for upper/lower/bass (e.g. 7 for upper, 6 for lower, 5 for bass), eventually save this to a VR-registration

- In the EDITOR 'GM2' tab, load a GM sound to theses TX-Channels

- play :)

note 1: 2020 update will eventually see coupling EDITOR GM registrations to the VR registrations

note 2: I really recommend discovering the the VR GM sounds, there are tons of acoustic sounds but particulary the VA 'oldschols' synths//strings/choirs pepped up with chorus are really FAT :)

(3) it's worth registering (maybe with an 'anonymous account') : https://www.facebook.com/groups/496867330478287

VR09: sending registration program changes , GM2 easy setup, facebook group

(1) registration program changes:

When studying again and again the VR09 documentation we struggled over the following line:

"You can specify the program change numbers that are transmitted from the MIDI OUT connector when you select a registration"

wait....'MIDI OUT connector'.... could it be... is it possible ... YES: in fact, BANK-PC changes can be send for each registration - but they are only transmitted on the 5-pin Midi sockets, not the midi-USB !

This allows:

- triggering songbook software (e.g. MobileSheets for Windows)

- triggering external keys or DAWS/VST

Unfortunately it's not possible (until we hack this) to send registration program changes TO the VR.

Howto:

load a registration, on VR open 'menu', goto to 'MIDI', set "Send PC switch " to ON + set bankMSB, bankLSB and PCnum (attention, PCnum is from 1-128 corresponding to midi values 0-127), save this back to the registration: now when loading this registration, the VR sends the MSB-LSB-PC program change.

Tip: Midiman/Midisport boxes are inexpensive and work fine for connecting the 5-Pin midi-sockets to PC-USB and other keys

Note : 2020 EDITOR updates will probably add an extension to the UPG-File editor for changing the PC/bank numbers.

(2) GM easy setup:

you can easily couple the VR to itself (without using software/hardware midi routers) for playing GM-sounds:

- connect 5-pin Midi out with Midi-in using a conventional midi (patch) cable

- in the VR menu "MIDI' set TX channels for upper/lower/bass (e.g. 7 for upper, 6 for lower, 5 for bass), eventually save this to a VR-registration

- In the EDITOR 'GM2' tab, load a GM sound to theses TX-Channels

- play :)

note 1: 2020 update will eventually see coupling EDITOR GM registrations to the VR registrations

note 2: I really recommend discovering the the VR GM sounds, there are tons of acoustic sounds but particulary the VA 'oldschols' synths//strings/choirs pepped up with chorus are really FAT :)

(3) it's worth registering (maybe with an 'anonymous account') : https://www.facebook.com/groups/496867330478287

Thanks a lot for keep on trying to squeeze the most from this keyboard!!

• 4 weeks later...

New to here. Just a throwaway comment, I have quite a number of keyboards, my wife who is a trombone virtuoso/orchestral musician, maintains this is my best sounding keyboard, especially when I'm using synth or organ. Interesting.

I hate the keybed but it is what it is. I use a Yamaha digital grand for the keybed quality and the amazing piano sound, so this thing (VR-09) can be infuriating, but she thinks it sounds great. go figure eh.

EDIT: Based on the previous posts - the Vox sound is horrible on the VR-09

• 1 month later...
wait....'MIDI OUT connector'.... could it be... is it possible ... YES: in fact, BANK-PC changes can be send for each registration - but they are only transmitted on the 5-pin Midi sockets

In fact (prepare to get really mad...) when I was testing with hidden sounds before the CTRLR Editor, I discovered that you CAN use this to access to hidden sounds... Let's explain:

If you want to access hidden sounds WITHOUT the CTRLR Editor you will need an external MIDI controller that sends the PC/MSB/LSB changes to VR-09 via 5pin MIDI IN... but VR-09 CAN send those changes with registrations so if you plug the VR-09 MIDI OUT to VR-09 MIDI IN you can send the PC/MSB/LSB change messages (stored in registrations) to the VR-09 using the VR-09 itself !!!

Of course you would need to know the PC/MSB/LSB data of a certain hidden sound and configure a registration that sends it to get that hidden sound... but anyway, is quite cool that the keyboard is able to send MIDI messages to itself.

• 1 month later...

V-Combo EDITOR: v1.12.11 '4-9-LIVE' MAJOR RELEASE

- STAGE view for live performance

- Multi (4) Zones setup of VR keyboard

- upgrade to 9 voices (+ 2 'bass' voices)

- MIDI-Mapper for triggering actions like 'V-SYNTH patch load', drawbar control of virtual organs etc

- V-Piano controlled by damper pedal for enhancing stock VR pianos (no miracles though :) )

- VR registration program change edit in UPG-editor

- kolossal adding of QuickHelp and Info popups

Download CTRLR panel-plugin or MS-Windows-standalone (it's still free-free :) )

https://ctrlr.org/roland-vr09-vr730-v-combo-editor

http://ctrlr.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/VComboEditor_stg.gif

http://ctrlr.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/VComboEditor_sx.gif

An amazing work. Thanks for all the effort you've put in to this!

I concur: This may be the best update yet!

Thank you frank46 for all your wonderful work on this.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

thx @ all. Glad if it's usable for others :) In deed it's a lot of work, but it's pure pleasure to discover this keyboard (seems that something from scientists curiosity still not has been erased by 'business' :) )

For info: The Quick/Info popups have formatting problems on low res (HD, HD+) monitors. A bugfix version 1.12.12 is in preparation.

• 4 weeks later...
I've started using the windows editor which is genius, you are a genius, but my question is why are all these extra hidden sounds even better than what came stock on the keyboard? WTH????? The organs and pianos aren't but the synth sounds are inspirational. I've written a lot of music on this board already and it's bringing new life for me now. Easily 5 or 6 of my songs (which are effing awesome if I do say so myself) were written on the VR-09 and these new sounds have not only helped me make what I have better but given me at least another 3 great ideas right off the bat.

• 4 months later...

4 info (for those who don't follow FB): expression pedal modd.

We recently 'discovered' the reason for the 'on/off' behaviour of expression pedals attached to the VR09/730.

The biggest issue: the VR uses only 1/2 of the pedal hub (electrically speaking, the VR reaches full volume at ca. 2.5 V out of 5V of the voltage divider)

This is valid vor ALL pedals (even the legendary Yam FC).

If interest is here, we can publish a little modd (finally 2 resistors soldered into the pedal or the jack). The modd turns even short hub pedals like EV5, M-Audio etc into something very usable :)

• 3 months later...

I posted this in the facebook group (Hi, Frank!), but I figured I should put it here too...

Can I indeed change the keyboard sound (not registrations, just Upper Sound) via MIDI Program Changes? The manual says no (in the MIDI Implementation chart, it specifcally says that Program Change is "Not received in the keyboard part"), but Frank's CTRLR Editor docs say "Yes: you can send bank-select (msb-lsb) + program change (PC) message to the 'keyboard sound engine"" which is also consistent with earlier info I've seen in this thread. I tried it (with the board in MIDI Mode 2 and sending the MSB/LSB/PC on MIDI channel 4) but was unsuccesful. The sound changed, but not to the one I specificed (Bluesharp, LSB=0, MSB=5, PC= 74). Am I missing something I need to do? Any volunteers to try to get this sound to come up via MIDI Program Change and report back success or not? thanks...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)