Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Moog One. The Polyphonic.

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heck, GRollins, given everything it does, I'd say you can't afford NOT to get at LEAST one!

Yeah...in my mind, I'm kinda envisioning a keyboard One with a rack behind it filled with several of the hypothetical rack mount version. Sorta like a 21st Century version of the Keith Emerson wall of Moog.

Overkill?

I think not.

Or, as a fellow I used to know was fond of saying: If some is good, then more is better, and too much is just enough!

Incidentally, I got "bits and bobs" from Hagrid. I'd never heard the expression before. It's amazing the things I've learned about our cousins across The Pond from the Harry Potter books (and movies).

Grey

P.S.: Dammit, I miss Emerson!

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

Still waiting.

Meanwhile, a few people on GearSlutz have been keeping me somewhat sane, amongst the incredible trolling and name calling.

This one from string6theory made me smile. Reminds me of Zawinal. Disclaimer - vocoder is not the one in the Moog, which apparently still sucks.

Moog One One Life

And this warped clip from bkbirge:

Moe

---

...Vocoder is not the one in the Moog, which apparently still sucks.

Besides being software based, what's supposed to be wrong with it?

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Some owners complain that the effects don't sound as good as they should, that some are weak, that the gain structure or in/out of phaseness is wacked, but something needs to be tweaked.

The vocoder in particular has people dealing with feedback, or not enough gain to make it do anything. It's telling I guess that there hasn't been a single demo posted.

Moe

---

Some owners complain that the effects don't sound as good as they should, that some are weak, that the gain structure or in/out of phaseness is wacked, but something needs to be tweaked.

Crap. That's the sole reason I want one. ;)

The vocoder in particular has people dealing with feedback, or not enough gain to make it do anything.

Just like my $150 Warp Factory.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

I'm sure they will get all the effects sorted eventially with software updates. That and Midi are the two least finished parts of the synth.

Least finished. Yikes.

I'm sure they will get all the effects sorted eventially with software updates. That and Midi are the two least finished parts of the synth.

Least finished. Yikes.

Yes. Least finished. They built in much room for growth. Would it be preferable to have no updates? It would be a bummer for something this ambitious if it dropped and was never built upon.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

Least finished. Yikes.

Yes. Least finished. They built in much room for growth. Would it be preferable to have no updates? It would be a bummer for something this ambitious if it dropped and was never built upon.

Not exactly what I meant. My question is, did they ship too early?

Well, that question can only be answered by the opinion of each potential or current owner.

In my experience, it is impossible to ship a product this complex without bugs. You reach a point in the software development cycle when you have been too close to the project for too long, and you can't come up with any more test scenarios - you have to get fresh eyes on it and a new set of people that will do things you never imagined to it.

That leads to products being released before they are finished. Ideally, like my previous company, you would have a limited release to a group of beta testers. But Moog had been working on this giant project for 5 years, so I am sure there was some pressure to start generating revenue.

The important consideration is how responsive the company is being to early problems, and how much you trust them to follow through. There have been 2 update releases so far and lots of individual communication between owners and engineers, so it sounds good to me.

I'd personally rather be an early adopter on this particular synth and have the joy of playing it now, rather than wait until it's declared perfect. Others might be more comfortable waiting.

Moe

---

In my experience, it is impossible to ship a product this complex without bugs. You reach a point in the software development cycle when you have been too close to the project for too long, and you can't come up with any more test scenarios - you have to get fresh eyes on it and a new set of people that will do things you never imagined to it.

Nudge nudge, wink wink.

That's fair. Don't get me wrong. It'll be in my house before the year is out, production line permitting. High-ticket item jitters.

If Id been offered a choice between getting it 2 weeks ago and waiting until they did more work on the effects, Id have chosen the former. The release bugs are minor, do not interfere with normal use, and indeed seem much overblown by some.
Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

"Moog had been working on this giant project for 5 years, so I am sure there was some pressure to start generating revenue"

You bet. I'd guess that Moog had a ton of Man hours in this product and that costs money. At some point, you have to release it and roll the dice.

The Moog One is the best synthesizer to come along in a generation. If I could afford one, I'd buy it, sit in my music room all day and probably never come out. People that find me annoying would celebrate.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

It's from what I've heard not a major strength of the current folks of the Moog company.

T

Zero problems with the digital control of my Voyager.

It's from what I've heard not a major strength of the current folks of the Moog company.

T

Zero problems with the digital control of my Voyager.

I assume Theo's "from what I've heard" was anything but the Moog One itself? :facepalm:

Btw digital control of Voyager was done by a different group...i.e. Rudi Linhard.