Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Camelot Pro - Releases 12 December: (The Mainstage for iOS?)

So I have been monitoring this app for a while now, and saw yesterday that it officially releases in a few weeks. There was a BETA available so hoping some of you guys here can give feedback.

If you have tried the BETA do you think this could be the iOS mainstage? What interests me most is the ability to save song presets and switch between them with my midi controller, kind of like Kronos set list. Some videos on YouTube of Rudess demoing it as well.

https://www.camelotpro.com/

Nektar LX61+, iPad 9.7 Inch, Mainstage, Korg Kronos 2

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hadn't heard of it. Will certainly keep an eye on it when it is released. Thanks for the post.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

What interests me most is the ability to save song presets and switch between them with my midi controller, kind of like Kronos set list.

There are already apps that save song presets (routing MIDI info to various external devices and other internal apps), but I think people have typically wanted to be able to use the iPad screen itself to do the sound switching (as opposed to switching with your MIDI controller). It's an interesting question as to whether any of these apps respond to MIDI Program Change to select their song presets (presets which, in turn, send MIDI Program Changes out to other apps/devices), so you could do your song selection from your controller instead of from the iPad's screen. It's nothing I've ever looked into. What controller would you be using?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I had forgotten all about Camelot - I look forward to its release.

Also, there is KeyStage to look into. Check out what this guy apparently does live with his app:

[video:youtube]

And here's a tutorial video:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiXAlfMGnro

Yamaha P515 & CK88, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.

Im using the nektar lx61+.

Ah yes, it's in your sig! But did I misunderstand about your wanting to call up the iOS patches from your MIDI controller? Because just looking at a pic, I don't see any buttons on the nektar that would be well suited for that, compared to on-screen selection.

Rest assured, if Camelot makes an impact, Mainstage iOS wont be far behind.

I don't know what marketing and/or technical factors are behind Apple's app decisions, but I wouldn't assume that they are influenced by things like that.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I don't know what marketing and/or technical factors are behind Apple's app decisions, but I wouldn't assume that they are influenced by things like that.

Agreed. On the other hand, I dont know what influenced them to create - and maintain - Mainstage in the first place. Sure, they were halfway there with Logic, but so have been other platforms.

Im glad as hell that they did, but to this day still very surprised.

It's an interesting question as to whether any of these apps respond to MIDI Program Change to select their song presets (presets which, in turn, send MIDI Program Changes out to other apps/devices), so you could do your song selection from your controller instead of from the iPad's screen.

Set List Maker and BandHelper can do this. Each "song" can be associated with (reception of) a MIDI program change, which will select the song. Each song can also transmit a number of "MIDI Presets" which are typically bank select/program changes but can be an arbitrary MIDI string instead.

I only use the transmit side of BandHelper, selecting songs from the touchscreen, because my NS2 isn't the sharpest, erm, program-changing knife in the, uh, controller drawer...

(I'll get me coat)

Cheers, Mike.

As do I. Rest assured, if Camelot makes an impact, Mainstage iOS wont be far behind.

The iOS community is understandably jonesin' for a Mainstage - the current collection of available instruments/music apps available is positively glorious.

Id guess Apple had the basic specs of the new iPad pros figured out about two years ago. Assuming they shared this within the company with the Logic team (very likely), I think its possible they may have iOS versions of Logic and MainStage nearly complete, assuming theyre in the works to begin with. They certainly have been talking up the iPad Pros as pro-level devices. They also like to talk about eating their own dog food, and their flagship pro apps are Final Cut Pro and Logic. Im looking forward to the NAMM eve Logic update, or some leaks from the recent ADC/JUCE conference. I also think if Logic and Mainstage for iOS were ready theyd have been released alongside the new iPad pros rather than waiting for NAMM.

Ive downloaded the Camelot iOS beta, but not the Mac one. It actually runs on my iPad Mini 2 running the latest iOS 12 beta, and finds my AUv3 plugins easily, including Ravenscroft 275, Model D, Galileo 2, Synthmaster One, Syntronik, and Quanta. It also sees KB-1 and BeatMaker 3 as MIDI outputs. Playing around a bit with it now with my new Black Friday apps. Camelot just found my XKey Air once I connected to it in the XKey Plus app.

• 3 weeks later...

Camelot Pro out now on iOS. I downloaded it and its great. Closest thing to main stage now. The plugins it supports are only audio unit right now, I hear IAA coming soon. Also a built in backtrack player also on its way.

So far so good, splits, layers, song switching, score charts are all done from my keyboard, no touching of iPad needed. Softsynths take like 1-3 seconds to load when switching songs.

Testing out this rig at my next gig. Been having great success with all iPad rig lately. Ravenscroft and neo soul keys being the stars of the show, rock solid no crashes.

It's an interesting question as to whether any of these apps respond to MIDI Program Change to select their song presets (presets which, in turn, send MIDI Program Changes out to other apps/devices), so you could do your song selection from your controller instead of from the iPad's screen.

Set List Maker and BandHelper can do this. Each "song" can be associated with (reception of) a MIDI program change, which will select the song. Each song can also transmit a number of "MIDI Presets" which are typically bank select/program changes

I see that iMidiPatchbay does this, too.

The iOS community is understandably jonesin' for a Mainstage - the current collection of available instruments/music apps available is positively glorious.
Camelot Pro out now on iOS. I downloaded it and its great. Closest thing to main stage now.

Camelot Pro looks cool, but I'm not sure where it is any closer to Mainstage than iMidiPatchbay or KeyStage. Each seems to have some nice features, each lets you create recallable split/layered combinations of hardware and software sounds, none provides a sound library (as Mainstage does), in what respect is one of these more like Mainstage than the others?

The way that I can switch between songs and set lists, sheet music with just my midi controller makes it closer to Mainstage for me. I agree having built in sounds would be the icing on the cake, as native plugins should load and be stable consistently.

My only caveat right now is that AUv3 does not load in RAM throughout the loaded set. So each song each Au has to be loaded again, think this could be an apple restriction. The iPad Pro 1Tb has 6Gb Ram! We really should be seeing Mainstage on iOS, the power is there. I run 30 songs and about 100 multi tracks tracks on a 4Gb RAM Mac mini Mainstage setup lol.

Camelot Pro looks cool, but I'm not sure where it is any closer to Mainstage than iMidiPatchbay or KeyStage. Each seems to have some nice features, each lets you create recallable split/layered combinations of hardware and software sounds, none provides a sound library (as Mainstage does), in what respect is one of these more like Mainstage than the others?

KeyStage seems more flexible , (if you want to use a lot of ios instruments,) has a very powerful midi filter and transform options. I've tried it with many ios apps haven't found any important issues, it sends a midi prg chg to recall the settings in your ios apps. Still a work in progress , but right now it's more useful than the other 2 apps for an ios based rig

Updated the internal sound list in Camelot for my montage. It took forever....will update for my nord lead 4 tonight. The plan is to have one hub for controlling all synts from two keyboards at home. The split functions are easy to handle and the app really mitigates montages crippled midisection.

KeyStage seems more flexible , (if you want to use a lot of ios instruments,) has a very powerful midi filter and transform options. I've tried it with many ios apps haven't found any important issues, it sends a midi prg chg to recall the settings in your ios apps. Still a work in progress , but right now it's more useful than the other 2 apps for an ios based rig

From a very quick perusal, iMidiPatchbay seems easiest to use, it can display charts, and it works even on an iPhone. Biggest limitation seems to be that it supports only up to 4 zones.

KeyStage seems more flexible, but more complex. Very notable feature: seamless sound transitions when switching patches. (Does anyone else have that?)

Camelot Pro seems more limited in which other iOS apps it will work with compared to the other two. It does display charts, though. From what I've seen so far, its biggest advantages seem to be that it is cross-platform; and as RG said, you can control a lot of its functions over MIDI from your controller; and probably most interesting to me, they are building in specific hardware integration. So for example, if you're using a supported board, instead of having to look up the MSB/LSB/PC numbers to enter to call up a specific sound on your board and/or type the name of the sound into the app (as you would with the others), CP already knows what numbers are associated with which sound and it can retrieve patch names from the boards so you don't have to type them in. It also gives you more on-screen control of various parameters of the sound and the individual parts within a multi-part sound. The usefulness of this feature, of course, depends on using it with those specially supported boards, but more will be added.

So, to any of you who have used these... Did I get that right? What other noteworthy differences have you found?

KeyStage seems more flexible, but more complex.

Keystage it's not complex , just took me 10 min to figure out everything,

displays charts, has a configurable real time XY control , you can create instruments presets in order to use em for different songs ( routings,prg ch, cc mappings,etc)

I've purchased all 3 apps, so far I'll stick with Keystage , most flexible if your goal it's having everything inside you ipad .

The only thing missing right now, it's a flexible song set list feature, right now takes like 2 secs to load a new song ( the developer stated at audiobus forum's that's currently working on that)

[video:youtube]

KeyStage seems more flexible, but more complex.

Even if you don't find it at all complex, you wouldn't agree that iMidiPatchbay is still simpler? I think KeyStage has a little more requirement that you actually go through tutorials or help screens. Like, you don't get anywhere until you figure out you have to double-tap on the screen to do anything, which is something you're unlikely to divine by yourself. And since I saw the video but didn't memorize it all, I've gotten a little stuck in my minimal playing with it,

Good that it also supports charts, I didn't realize that right away. So all three do.

Keystage , most flexible if your goal it's having everything inside you ipad.

As opposed to, what, mixing internal iPad sounds with sounds from your keyboards?

• 3 weeks later...

Just bumping this thread up. Now that I'm integrating iOS into my rig to use my Seaboard, I'm trying to scout out the best option to organize my virtual instruments and navigate through patches quickly (with appropriate volume and octave shifts mapped to each), plus integrate charts/sheet music when necessary. Trying to keep it as simple as possible, but give myself room to grow.

Keystage, Camelot, and iMIDIpatchbay seem to be the three best options. Seems like a lot of feature overlap with some give-and-take as far as customization/ease of use. Camelot is the easiest on the eyes of the three, and seems very versatile, but Keystage seems to have a lot of options to customize the default display for each scene (an XY pad for realtime modulation on the verse, then a chord chart for the chorus, for instance). I haven't seen that demoed in the other apps.

There are fewer comparisons and tutorials online than I expected, so it's nice to have the forum discussions to check in on!

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Just bumping this thread up. Now that I'm integrating iOS into my rig to use my Seaboard, I'm trying to scout out the best option to organize my virtual instruments and navigate through patches quickly (with appropriate volume and octave shifts mapped to each), plus integrate charts/sheet music when necessary. Trying to keep it as simple as possible, but give myself room to grow.

Keystage, Camelot, and iMIDIpatchbay seem to be the three best options. Seems like a lot of feature overlap with some give-and-take as far as customization/ease of use. Camelot is the easiest on the eyes of the three, and seems very versatile, but Keystage seems to have a lot of options to customize the default display for each scene (an XY pad for realtime modulation on the verse, then a chord chart for the chorus, for instance). I haven't seen that demoed in the other apps.

There are fewer comparisons and tutorials online than I expected, so it's nice to have the forum discussions to check in on!

Bumping to see if theres any more real world discussion on these three options. For me, if they all do similar work, it appears CP wins for quick graphic task recognition, IMPB for resource sparing. I cant get into visual Windows-esque clunkiness so KS is a no-go.

Here for the gear.

displays charts, has a configurable real time XY control , you can create instruments presets in order to use em for different songs ( routings,prg ch, cc mappings,etc)

One of my concerns with KeyStage is that identifying what MIDI cc applies to which parameter on an instrument seems time consuming, since the only way I can see to load up parameter names in a preset is through a Cubase patch script. You can't really experiment with it in the trial version, so I'm not sure how tricky it is. How has your experience been on that front?

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

• 2 weeks later...

One of my concerns with KeyStage is that identifying what MIDI cc applies to which parameter on an instrument seems time consuming, since the only way I can see to load up parameter names in a preset is through a Cubase patch script. You can't really experiment with it in the trial version, so I'm not sure how tricky it is. How has your experience been on that front?

Well KeyStage just got an update, and now the lite version has a new mode in which you have access to all the features of the full version. It also has many new features:

Ill be using KeyStage Lite on my iPad with my Krome for 2nd keyboard duties at church this Sunday. Worked OK in rehearsal. I do get errors when trying to name and save created songs for some reason.

The new Set List function is great. Theoretically you could simply make a long song with multiple sections prior to the Set List addition.

Sundays list:

64-B941-BD-53-D8-4-C6-D-8756-DDC6323-C63-F6.png

6812-A4-C4-5087-46-EA-8-E7-E-955-FF3-B8-E93-E.png

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments