Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Topic Options
#2983321 - 04/03/19 01:04 PM Re: Applying Modes Question [Re: Scott Fraser]
d / halfnote Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
That said, there is an inherent implied harmony whenever 2 notes occur simultaneously.

GP Island
#2986542 - Yesterday at 05:05 AM Re: Applying Modes Question [Re: Scott Fraser]
Music Fusion Offline

Loc: Ontario
Hi folks

Just checking in. I hope everyone is well and had a good Easter.

I'm still plugging away at the guitar. Basically, getting my speed up by doing some metronome stuff. I can race through the major scale on all parts of the neck at 160 BPM.

I know it's not about speed, but this exercise is helping me get better at up and down picking.

I need to get back to the Japanese scales. They are interesting.

I think my next big challenge is to put everything I've learned in the back of my mind. What i mean by that is that I now know the pentatonic scale and the major scale throughout the entire neck quite fluidly. I also have become pretty good at deploying the modes and am know familiar with which mode to use when in terms of the feeling they bring to a piece. All this took a great deal of time and a lot of support from you folks, but I'm there and thankful for the help!

But now, I want to try to play with my soul. Knowing the scales and modes is great and I will always use them, but now I have to learn to play less systemically and more fluidly. All the stuff I learned will always be deployed because it works, and it will always be so. But I want to be able to call upon it in moments of need, rather than as a strategy.

This next challenge will be huge, but I think worth it. I'm sure Craig and D may have something to say about that ;-)

Edited by Music Fusion (Yesterday at 05:06 AM)

#2986543 - Yesterday at 05:08 AM Re: Applying Modes Question [Re: Music Fusion]
Music Fusion Offline

Loc: Ontario
I'm wondering out loud if I should now try to look at the neck horizontally rather than vertically and try to find my way horizontally, as opposed to a vertical orientation.

Or, whether I should scrap that and just play anywhere and see what happens.

#2986599 - Yesterday at 09:58 AM Re: Applying Modes Question [Re: Music Fusion]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: Music Fusion
I'm wondering out loud if I should now try to look at the neck horizontally rather than vertically and try to find my way horizontally, as opposed to a vertical orientation.

A jazz player friend of mine had a teacher who would occasionally make his students play their solos entirely on one string. Gives you a whole different perspective, & gets closer to a sort of jazz ideal of learning how to phrase like a sax player, or vocalist.

#2986602 - Yesterday at 10:06 AM Re: Applying Modes Question [Re: Music Fusion]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California

Music Fusion, I think you are doing a great job and have really progressed. It is a lifetime journey so enjoy the ride. My answer to your question is there are two ways to play (i.e. along the neck and across the neck), so do both. You can play anywhere as long as you are in the correct key using a tonal center (i.e. found on the 1st and 6th strings) as a starting point. The modes and pentatonic scales are just a roadmap for your journey. cool

#2986620 - Yesterday at 11:38 AM Re: Applying Modes Question [Re: Larryz]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: Larryz

Music Fusion, I think you are doing a great job and have really progressed. It is a lifetime journey so enjoy the ride. My answer to your question is there are two ways to play (i.e. along the neck and across the neck), so do both. You can play anywhere as long as you are in the correct key using a tonal center (i.e. found on the 1st and 6th strings) as a starting point. The modes and pentatonic scales are just a roadmap for your journey. cool

+1!

#2986700 - Today at 07:25 AM Re: Applying Modes Question [Re: Scott Fraser]
A String Administrator Offline
Admin
10k Club

Loc: Ontario, Canada
As I demonstrated, earlier; You can learn two patterns, find the notes that connect them, repeat those patterns above the 12th and have a single scale/mode that can be played virtually anywhere on the neck.

Another good reason to do this is, when the notes are in different locations, it provides different "Riff" opportunities. Keep at it, man. You are doing well!
My Pics

Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose