Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Topic Options
#2979839 - 03/12/19 09:58 AM Re: Applying Modes Question [Re: Music Fusion]
A String Administrator Offline
Admin
10k Club

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Interesting that #2 is basically using what I told you. The reason dropping down 3 frets gives a happy sounds is that you switch from the Minor scale to the Major scale (Look...it's a mode!!!!). This is getting into what is known as "Relative Minors". Every major scale has a relative minor counterpart, which uses the same notes. This relative minor scale is the Aeolian mode of the major scale.
My Pics

GP Island
#2979845 - 03/12/19 10:33 AM Re: Applying Modes Question [Re: Music Fusion]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Originally Posted By: A String
The relative minor scale is the Aeolian mode of the major scale.

Or, put another way, it's the scale that starts on the 6th, 4 semitones down.

Originally Posted By: Music Fusion
1. There is a whole world to be discovered on the high E, B and G strings of a guitar. There are some shapes that can be played down there, that would be very familiar, that can be useful in the following ways:

a) as another way of playing chords, that emphasizes the higher sounding end.
b) typically used in funk, disco and modern music to produce some pretty nifty progressions/sounds.
c) sonically, as an alternative to playing a full chord, whose lower end, will sometimes collide- compete sonically, with a bass guitar. This is particularly important in recording music where you want to carve out frequencies positionally within the sonic landscape. Where sonic overlaps and collisions occur, it muddies the clarity of certain instruments. Thus, using the higher register as an alternative, with a bass guitar looking after the lower foundation, is often a good mix. Again, more important in recording although there are also benefits in playing live.

Excellent observation & the basis for what separates cats (& kitties) that can play well in various band & recording situations from those who keep bumping into each other.
There's a reason that not all drums have the same tone ! grin

Originally Posted By: Music Fusion
2. The Penatatonic scale, and itís various positions along the neck is probably the biggest bang for your time spent, in terms of its immediate usefulness in blues and rock. Once the various positions of the pentatonic are learned, it can easily be applied to blues music or rock. A neat little trick occurs when you move the position 3 frets back. When doing so, you switch from a bluesy sounding solo, to a happy sounding solo simply by moving the position back three frets, while remaining in key.

This kinda goes back to modes, in a way.
In the same way the whole schmear's just shifting 1 basic idea around into diff contexts, that's what happens w/ the 2 main forms of the pentatonic...yer just making a choice of M or min & adding whatever color notes ya need.

----------------------------------
Hey, Chas, what'd yer pal think of that email ?
Now mebbe you get to explain some stuff to help someone else advance !

#2979864 - 03/12/19 12:31 PM Re: Applying Modes Question [Re: d]
Music Fusion Offline

Loc: Ontario
Hi Craig and d

I do believe in paying it forwards, so I plan to share whatever I've learned with others. So thanks for being patient with me. In the end, it paid off- for me at least ;-)

Recording is my thing and I have been doing since I was 16 years old using two parallel cassette recorders to multi track. Then I graduated to a Fostex 4 track. Back in the day, that was special.

Then of course, everything went digital and now I record using Logic X, after spending a decade with Pro Tools. . I've been very blessed to be able to write on my own and with a songwriting partner in the U.S. I've had a few little things used in American Television shows. My partner has had raving success, getting things placed on CNN, Saturday Night Live, and probably 30 other programs you'd immediately recognize.

It's very difficult making a living in the music business because there isn't much of a business left. With the mp3 transformation, people began downloading music for free even though in many cases copyright was trampled on.

Now streaming services have managed to be the thing, while paying writers next to nothing. It's near criminal my view.

Add the fact that software has democratized music, has created another monster. In days of old, you had to know how to play to write. Songs usually came from the heart. Now, software allows almost anyone to arrange chords, make loops and record vocals without necessarily knowing much about music. I'm not saying all of that is bad, but a lot of it ends up sounding like manufactured music that is not very melodic and has a hollow soul.

Edited by Music Fusion (03/12/19 12:34 PM)

#2979865 - 03/12/19 12:36 PM Re: Applying Modes Question [Re: Music Fusion]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Coolacious, Chas !

As far as the profitability of Net mktg, that's something that one cay turn around in a few ways.

Check yer PMs for a ms.

Hey---just noticed where you live----how close are you & A String (or maybe Blues Ape) ?

#2979874 - 03/12/19 01:41 PM Re: Applying Modes Question [Re: d]
Admin
10k Club

He's about 20 mins from me, tops. He is also in an area that had a very good band scene. Well worth getting out there and playing!
My Pics

#2979879 - 03/12/19 04:24 PM Re: Applying Modes Question [Re: A String]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Have you two met ?
I'm kinda wondering if in person lessons might advance more quickly than the triangulated, post & wait Q&A here...

#2979892 - 03/12/19 05:53 PM Re: Applying Modes Question [Re: d]
Music Fusion Offline

Craig...I thought you used to live around Burlington but then moved out to the states? I must be mistaken. Where are you?

#2979971 - 03/13/19 11:59 AM Re: Applying Modes Question [Re: Music Fusion]
Admin
10k Club

Still in Burlington. However, I don't do lessons anymore. I used to teach at Lakeshore Music/Long and McQuade's, many years back, but just have too much going on, nowadays.
My Pics

#2979977 - 03/13/19 12:11 PM Re: Applying Modes Question [Re: A String]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Ahem, time to start mktg those lessons as vids then, eh ?
This thread is a demonstration of their potential worth to both students & yerself, 'String !

#2979979 - 03/13/19 12:27 PM Re: Applying Modes Question [Re: d]
Admin
10k Club

lol. Not a bad idea, d. Been thinking about it for a while now.
My Pics

#2980035 - 03/13/19 07:38 PM Re: Applying Modes Question [Re: A String]
Music Fusion Offline

Well, if ever you need some input from a learner's perspective......

actually, a video approach may be good, as it is often much easier to grasp. There are a lot of people out there with courses, videos and the like. But there are not many who can really deliver with clarity.

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose