Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2018-2019 Thread

Wow, that was a tough loss: a kickoff return fumble cost Aaron Rodgers a chance to put together another game winning drive. Of course, if the Packers are going to lose to any team, I'm glad it's the Rams. As a fan of both teams, I think this was a game that could have gone either way.

The last time I can remember the Rams playing against the Packers in the Los Angeles area, the Rams were near at the end of their original California stay. I remember sitting in the stands, being impressed at how many Green Bay fans were in attendance.

Today was no different. Judging on crowd noise, I'd say roughly 30-40% of the fans at the Coliseum were rooting for the Packers. The Rams were even dressed in throwback uniforms of the '90s. I was swept away with nostalgia while watching the game on my TV set.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I'm concerned, Gregg Williams should have been banned from the NFL for life after Bountygate. I'm very disappointed to see him promoted to interim head coach by the Browns after firing Hue Jackson:

A NFL focused on player safety should never have Gregg Williams as an interim head coach

Best,

Geoff

There was 2:05 remaining in the Packers-Rams game at the last kickoff. If there were no return, the Packers (with Aaron Rodgers) would have gotten the ball at their 25 with 2:05 remaining, could have passed the ball in the middle of the field and gotten a clock stoppage at the 2 minute warning, without using a time out.

I think the Packers coach should have instructed the returner to not return the ball, unless forced to do so by a short kick. And I think the Rams coach should have instructed his kicker to kick off a little short so that it did not land in the end zone, to force a time-wasting return.

No doubt, harmonizer, on all counts. There was a good discussion about this here:

[video:youtube]DB_vmPLtfko

We often focus on the final plays affecting the outcome, but it's also worth considering that the Rams margin of victory was due to the first points they put on the board: the safety.

Best,

Geoff

Gregg Williams as an interim head coach

Rest assured that Williams will not get the head coaching job and he may not be retained as defensive coordinator when the dust settles.

If they cannot lure Oklahoma head coach Lincoln Riley from college football to become their head coach, the Browns will probably look for the 2nd coming of Sean McVay who is being heralded as a coaching wunderkind.

I wouldn't be surprised if New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels isn't on the Browns list of head coaching candidates. Not that McDaniels wants to leave Foxboro.

It will be interesting to see who the Browns ultimately hire to lead their young talent. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

It will be interesting to see who the Browns ultimately hire to lead their young talent. :cool:

...And then fire two years later.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist. ;) )

Seriously though, I'm confident that the Browns will eventually become winners again, and they probably have the talent to do so now; but the organization itself is so dysfunctional that I'm not sure we'll live to see a great Browns team.

I'm also pretty confident that you're right about Williams not getting the permanent HC job, and I hope he'll get canned by the next HC. Even so, it bothers me to see him get a job as water boy in the NFL, let alone as an interim HC.

By the way, congrats on taking a four game lead in the Pick 'em Pool, ProfD. I'm struggling just to be in third place behind you and Dave this year.

Best,

Geoff

Geoff, you're right about the dysfunction that is the Browns. :laugh:

The NFL has its fraternal aspects especially as it relates to coaches. Eventually, they won't recycle the bad apples. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

This was a surprise. On the face of it, I'd call it an overreaction; but there's always behind-the-scenes information we're not aware of:

Packers trade Ty Montgomery to Ravens for 2020 draft pick

Over reaction? Ya think? I'm not so sure. :idk:

He threw a temper tantrumon the sidelines about the way he was being used towards the end of the Rams game. He was told to take a knee in the end zone with that fateful kickoff. He diecided to run it out to show everybody...and he fumbled the ball, and cost his team the game.

No way he was ever going to take another snap as a Packer. :hand:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Ty Montgomery had a very bad day without a doubt; but he had a good career with the Packers overall, highlighted by switching from wide receiver to a dual threat running back when Green Bay needed one. As a fan, I was upset with his actions in Sunday's game; but I was happy with his play up until that point.

I think it's worth considering Ty Montgomery's explanation of what happened. Apparently, he choose to return the kick because was worried that he might take a knee on the half foot line:

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=25121203

Obviously, that doesn't cover the way he behaved on the sideline; and regardless of why, he made a poor choice on the return. I just think there may be more to the story than we saw.

Best,

Geoff

It seems like Jon Gruden is trading great players and trying to tank so he can get great draft picks to build the team he wants.

I hope it's that simple...but if it is, they may pay a huge price for it, largely because they want to pull off a big auspicious move to a new market in a few years.

I'm leaning towards believing the stories about the front office friction with Chucky. Looks a bit like what happened in Philly with Chip Kelly.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Steelers-Panthers Thursday Night Football. 52-21 Steelers.

I listened to the game on the radio last night, and watched the highlights this morning. That's the most points the Steelers have scored in years, and the best game they played as long as I can remember. Carolina made some mistakes that led to Steeler points, but the game was not as lopsided as the score would indicate. Carolina moved the ball but was unable to put it in the end zone on many of their drives.

The Steelers Defense is looking better, there was nowhere to go but up. Ben was 22 for 25 for 328 yards and 5 touchdowns. That was the best game he's had in 10 years.

www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/carolina-panthers-pittsburgh-steelers-score-results-updates-highlights-thursday-night/1nvnxvog1syhk1su2ja1rduckh

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Steelers-Panthers Thursday Night Football. 52-21 Steelers.

Carolina made some mistakes that led to Steeler points, but the game was not as lopsided as the score would indicate.

My opinion from watching the game is that it looked as lopsided as the score indicates. :laugh:

Sure, Carolina moved the ball at times but for the most part, the Steelers defense had Cam Newton in a pressure cooker throughout the game.

Also IMO, the Panthers have a one-dimensional offense. The major threats are the QB and RB. They do not have game-breaking WRs. The unimaginative play-calling doesn't help either. :rolleyes:

Defensive coordinators should already know from Super Bowl L how to shut down Carolina. The Steelers went there last night and pulled out a can of whup azz. :D:cool:

PD

The Bears look good today. Except for Cody Parkey, who has hit the four uprights FOUR times now against the Lions. Weird. Never seen anything like that before.

...and it's so bad that the Bears elected to go for a two-point extra conversion when they were leading 32-10 with the fans cheering when they heard of the decision. Wow.

...and it's so bad that the Bears elected to go for a two-point extra conversion when they were leading 32-10 with the fans cheering when they heard of the decision. Wow.

Ken maybe it was just being merciful- missing 5 is worse than 4. Tough day for a kicker, though hitting the upright that many times is something.

Ken maybe it was just being merciful- missing 5 is worse than 4. Tough day for a kicker, though hitting the upright that many times is something.

Unlike any other position on the team it's usually not just a "tough" day, but a "last" day as well....

I thoroughly enjoyed watching New England get their butts kicked yesterday. Brady was sacked, rushed, and threw 18 incompletions when they stopped counting and showing it on the screen. A few former Patriot players including Dion Lewis and Malcolm Butler are now on the Titans football team and enjoyed giving it back to New England.

In other news, apparently Bell is not going to report to the Steelers, so he will have to sit out the season. Good riddance.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

That's really bizarre. It's rare for kickers to miss so many attempts. You may remember last month's bad day for Mason Crosby against the same team:

Packers' Mason Crosby misses 13 points (4 FG, PAT) in 8-point loss

The fact that it happened once was a freak occurrence; but twice?

Best,

Geoff

Yeah, that's strange. But missing AND hitting the uprights four times in a game....I wonder if this is some sort of NFL record?

Anyway, the Bears look good, certainly much better than last year. They look energized. But they also look really green sometimes, especially where Trubisky is concerned. Still, though, a huge improvement from last year. And they're a lot of fun to watch.