Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your Latest Purchase (music related)

http://natevenet.com/misc/2018anniepit.jpg

Phase one of my re-imagined pit rig complete (inspired by work done by Dave Weiser). New here is the Kenton LD2 Pro for volume metering (CC7), Audiofront MIDI Expression interface for adjusting CC7 via pedal, and a pair of Mackie MR524 monitors on On-Stage monitor stands.

This show was pretty much piano only, and so I didn't really need the volume control/metering, but it was a good test-case for my next big pit gig in the spring (Mamma Mia!), where I'll be introducing a laptop, audio interface, and Mainstage into the mix.

IK iRig 39 Pro MIDI controller - mostly for my iPad rig. Now if I don't need to supply amplification, I can walk in like a horn player or clarinet player (which I was) with my gear in one small bag slung over one shoulder.

Thought I had a bargain - got one Refurbished through EBay sold directly by IK. Received it - high F key no workee. Am I out of line here? I think merchandise that is DOA when received should be shipped back paid by the seller, but not so.

At any rate, they did replace it with another - so time to move on. Definitely will remember next time I make a musical gear purchase.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Phase one of my re-imagined pit rig complete (inspired by work done by Dave Weiser). New here is the Kenton LD2 Pro for volume metering (CC7), Audiofront MIDI Expression interface for adjusting CC7 via pedal, and a pair of Mackie MR524 monitors on On-Stage monitor stands.

Can you explain why/how you use the volume metering. I don't understand the use case, so it would be really interesting to learn about how you use the gear. Thanks!

NS3C, Hammond XK5, Yamaha S7X, Sequential Prophet 6, Yamaha YC73, Roland Jupiter X

I just traded up to a Roland AX-Edge. The neck is very long, making the 49 note instrument longer than a typical 61 note. Full review coming later.

Tom any updates on the sound set?

Thanks in advance...

Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

These are fantastic FX for keyboards.

They use the same DSP Chips as UAD, Solaris, Neo Vent and S|C XITE-1.

Retired a 4U w/ 3 x TC Fireworx and a TC Finalizer for these.

Vast improvement in MIDI Automation and sound quality.

4-D968-CE4-2-D6-E-405-F-AADA-30-AE65-C7-A929.jpg

727-FF952-5-E79-4-D1-E-B633-F9-FD6170-D0-F4.jpg

D7-CED46-D-55-A4-4-BD3-8-DEA-BF007888-CD82.jpg

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Whats really fantastic is the Mix knob on the Reverse Delay.

You can automate it to full wet, do a nice 4 bar lick and loop in in reverse with a single note on (velocity over zero triggers it).

Then play over the top for another 12 bars and just impress yourself.

Jimi Hendrix synths is how I describe it.

The Leslie on Mobius is really great at its fast rates for that Blackhole Sun sound, but the other algorithms are really unique.

I bought it just for Multiwave DBucket chorus smoke on YouTube.

But theres so much more to this pedal.

I also bought the Deco for authentic Tape Flange and its on my Analog synth AUX. The Expression Pedal controls rate if chosen, and its like hearing the String Machine on Come Sail Away.

These DSP Based Pedals including Neo Vent are really great on keyboards.

Rhodes with the triple wave dbucket chorus is mesmerizing.

The Leslie fast rate is so windy authentic it made me laugh, its stereo ping ponging really gives that true Doppler quality.

My brothas I could go on for an hour on what Ive discovered with these that arent in the video demos.

Im glad I gave back the Integra 7 to Sweetwater.

Once I spend the money I respect the way they allo returns to customers theyre familiar with, so I just redirect the funds.

I got all the synths I wanted so I tried these.

Best move Ive made in a long time.

Cheers

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Bought almost new a Yamaha Reface CP. Original owner gave me its designated bag, midi midi cable and sustain pedal. Its was on a very good price and it's in mint condition.

I had the time to use it on a rehearsal two days ago and i was impressed how good it sounds in a loud 8 piece band.

I plan to use it as complementary keyboard with my Electro 5 D (mostly for the clavinet and the rhodes and maybe a wurlie patch here and there) or as a hardware backup for my laptop only rig

Nice little thing

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

I finally received this to replace my SM DI8 - works very well despite the reviews I've seen!

RDI8-web.jpg

And now it's for sale :laugh:

But actually only because I found a bargain Radial ProD8, which paired with a Samson SM10 10 channel mixer nicely fixes my IEM "more me" problem :like:

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Can you explain why/how you use the volume metering. I don't understand the use case, so it would be really interesting to learn about how you use the gear. Thanks!

Sure!

Granted, for this particular gig it was not totally necessary, as my volume was mostly "set and forget", but:

For theater gigs (and apologies if I'm covering stuff you already know) there are often scads of patch changes, splits, layers, and so forth, at varying volumes. Having a volume meter means that I can dial into an exact level when I need to. At measure 156 the music changes to underscoring, so drop down to 15 (this meter is set to display MIDI 1-127 on a scale of 0-20), then back up to volume at measure 182.

It lets me a) be consistent and precise night after night, and give FOH the same levels regardless of my personal monitor situation, or of my perceived mix in the pit.

I've been in a situation a million times when the conductor says, "BluMunk, bring out your part more at such-and-such section." Precise metering means I can get it where they're happy, mark my score for the volume change, and then replicate it consistently.

Also, and maybe even more importantly, as the next step for this rig is going to be as a control for Mainstage, I'll have no easy visual indicator on the board in front of me as to the volume level. The keyboard volume knob will be non-functional. This is the only way to see and set levels.

Korg nanoPAD2 - Blue/Yellow Limited Edition

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1433911-REG/korg_nanopad2blyl_nano_pad2_blue_yellow.html

I have the original which is several yrs old.

Was attracted to the color of this 'edition ' which

should make usage easier. There is a claim this

iteration will be more accurate in pad response.

Will have this in a few days

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I also pulled the trigger on a Reface CP. Again.

Initially I returned it because the internal speakers clip at full volume. But decided to work around by purchasing a small portable speaker. Jammed out with friends acoustically on Thanksgiving and had a blast. It's just too fun of a board not to own. The portability is too seductive.

I also blame Nahre Sol.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

This show was pretty much piano only, and so I didn't really need the volume control/metering, but it was a good test-case for my next big pit gig in the spring (Mamma Mia!), where I'll be introducing a laptop, audio interface, and Mainstage into the mix.

What's your plan for the 4 keyboard books on Mamma Mia? You going to provide patches for all with MainStage and run all 4 keyboard players to the MacBook over USB?

Is this just for monitoring yourself? Pit in the same room as the stage? Or does the audience just get pit from PA?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I purchased a used Bose L1 Compact. Sweet little sound for small venues. Light weight one trip where I have a piano. Cuts a trip where I bring my own keys!

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

I purchased a used Bose L1 Compact. Sweet little sound for small venues. Light weight one trip where I have a piano. Cuts a trip where I bring my own keys!

I like using mine without the extension as a personal monitor. I run the thru out on my DI to the Compact. Cuts through nice and keeps me from bugging the monitor guy when I want more ME!

I recently bought a pair of Audix SCX25A lollipop-style condenser mics that mount directly to the piano. They can be used with the lid up or down.

Here's the first recording I did using these mics:

[video:youtube]

Wow. Great sound and great playing!!!

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Studiologic Numa Compact 2x. Impulse buy (price). Piano and organ ok but not recording quality (I have better ones for that). Pro's: Weight (17lbs), Price 700.00, good for travelling, remote rehearsals, and light gigs. I'll keep it until boredom sits in.

BTW, bought it from a dealer on EBAY called ARMENS. My unit had definitely been reboxed (sold as 'new') and missing the CD user manual. It seemed in perfect condition and I downloaded the manual so I made the decision to keep it....but I won't buy from this ebay seller again.

Legend Exp,NC2x,Crumar Seven,KeyB Duo MK111,Nord C1,Nord C2D,Triton Classic,Fantom G7,Motif ES,SonicCell,BK7m,PA1x pro,VP770,TC Helicon,Leslie 3300,MS Pro145,EV SXA250(2),Traynor K4,PK7a,A70,DM10 Pro.

What's your plan for the 4 keyboard books on Mamma Mia? You going to provide patches for all with MainStage and run all 4 keyboard players to the MacBook over USB?

Is this just for monitoring yourself? Pit in the same room as the stage? Or does the audience just get pit from PA?

Those other keyboardists are on their own, man! :P I'm not MDing the show, so I'm not sure who/what'll be there. Plus, even if I was in charge, there's no way I'd put all four keys books through one possible failure point.

And, yeah, that's just monitoring for me (and the rest of the pit, if the MD/sound decide they don't want to run any other monitors). This is a pit below the stage and house, open to the house on the front; in my picture you can see a line on the floor where the carpet ends. The un-carpeted portion where the winds and strings are is the hydraulic lift.

Anyway, FOH is a blend of ambient, acoustic levels from the pit combined with stacks (standing or hanging, depending on who's doing sound). On stage they've got their own monitor mix as well.