Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
FS: All XLN Audio (Addictive Drums/Keys) and BFD products #2957380
11/11/18 09:10 PM
11/11/18 09:10 PM
San Francisco Bay Area
Mark Schmieder Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
Mark Schmieder  Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member

San Francisco Bay Area
I normally hold onto everything, but am almost out of disc space so a house cleaning is in order rather than once again buy a larger disc (I'm at 8 TB now!).

It appears that everything from XLN Audio is allowed for resale, and I don't see a license transfer fee.

https://www.xlnaudio.com/support/i-want-to-sell-my-xln-audio-products-are-license-transfers-allowed

I own most of their products, add-ons, effects, drum replacement triggers, etc.

As for fxpansion products, for now I just want to skim down my BFD offerings, and probably the entire collection including BFD3 itself.

I have almost everything, including third-party add-ons and pattern libraries, but haven't had a chance to check every single vendor (Chocolate Audio, Drum Drops, Platinum Sounds, etc.) to see if they all still allow resale.

Luckily, fxpansion still seems to offer transfers with a single fee per customer rather than per product, so a bundle deal would work out well for anyone interested:

"You can sell for a fee yes. Details are in the BFD FAQ here:

http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=53&tab=151#221

If you are selling BFD2 and expansion packs together, only one license transfer fee is needed."

It appears that this policy did not carry forward to BFD3 however, as this is what I find now (and the transfer fee has doubled):

https://www.fxpansion.com/support/faq/bfd3/

"Do you allow license transfers?

Yes, however:

If you're the seller, you must contact us in advance of the sale. If you're the prospective second-hand buyer, you must check that the seller is cleared to sell. If in doubt, contact us.

There is a flat $50 fee per product for a license transfer, which can be purchased from our online shop.

Review copies, NFRs (Not For Resale copies, sometimes used for in-store demos), etc., cannot be transferred under any circumstances.

We reserve the right to refuse a license transfer request.

Once a transfer is authorised and the fee has been paid, the new owner is entitled to exactly the same upgrade paths and technical support resources as if they had bought the product new."

Given the fee, I'm not really looking to make money off of selling my previously purchased stuff; I just don't like the idea of deleting it from my discs forever vs. looking into license transfers.

So this is an opportunity for some bargains (sort of; the fxpansion license transfers aren't cheap, but it appears XLN Audio's is free). It's been a few years now, but I recall the person who bought my Platinum Sounds expansions was the one who had to buy the transfer license from fxpansion vs. the seller (me).

My recommendation is to put together a list of what you want, or the whole shebang, and then I can contact fxpansion and see if they can offer a special deal for a comprehensive license transfer "from studio to studio". Similarly with XLN Audio and their entire product suite or subsets thereof (keys, drums, effects plug-ins, triggers).

I have switched over to Superior Drummer 3, and specialized products (for percussion etc.) over the past six weeks and don't like clutter in my life. I will be looking at other stuff as time allows (not much of it) as well, to see what allows for resale in the VI and sample library collections. I have super-high-end stuff and don't need to clutter my disc with stuff I'll never use again. Some stuff can't be resold though, like SSD4.

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Select J-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari
Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold Top, RS520T, T486-RB, ES295, PM2, EXL1
WX5, XK1c, Voyager
KC Island
Re: FS: All XLN Audio (Addictive Drums/Keys) and BFD products [Re: Mark Schmieder] #2957430
11/12/18 09:42 AM
11/12/18 09:42 AM
eastern North Carolina
MoodyBluesKeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MoodyBluesKeys  Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

eastern North Carolina
Just a suggestion: If you don't really want to sell these, why not copy them to a double-sided DVD-R which provides about 8GB of storage, or a BluRay - single side ones hold 25GB.
I just copied 17GB of associated virtual apps and sound libraries from a recent purchase to BluRay, only took about 10 minutes, now I can remove from the HD on my computer and still have them if needed. Some of the files had to be downloaded within a certain number of days after purchase of the hardware product.
The BR writer drives don't really cost that much, and can replace an existing DVD burner on a desktop machine quite simply.
Windows 10 can burn files direct to DVD without any added software.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's
HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2
"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."
Jim
Re: FS: All XLN Audio (Addictive Drums/Keys) and BFD products [Re: MoodyBluesKeys] #2957527
11/12/18 07:13 PM
11/12/18 07:13 PM
San Francisco Bay Area
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member

San Francisco Bay Area
I don't plan to use them ever again; maybe that wasn't clear?

The XLN Audio stuff should save people a LOT of money if they want it, unless they simply didn't state a license transfer fee on their site.

It seems that fxpansion has a higher transfer fee now, but possibly it is negotiable when it is a full-catalog transfer. I simply don't have time to go deep into that until or unless I have motivation to do so, via someone expressing that they want some or all of their products.

It isn't hard to figure out what Black Friday sales might bring, so the ones that most likely would help people (if primarily just paying a license transfer fee plus a token $5 to $10 for my time), would be the libraries that cost $150.

Many BFD libraries are $100 and still others are $50 or less, so I'm surprised by their stated transfer policy, which seems designed to discourage it while still technically obeying EU law (and I imagine that could change soon due to Brexit, so it might be wise to decide on whether you want any of these before end-of-year in case the transfer option is revoked post-Brexit).

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Select J-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari
Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold Top, RS520T, T486-RB, ES295, PM2, EXL1
WX5, XK1c, Voyager
Re: FS: All XLN Audio (Addictive Drums/Keys) and BFD products [Re: Mark Schmieder] #2958734
11/19/18 09:46 PM
11/19/18 09:46 PM
San Francisco Bay Area
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member

San Francisco Bay Area
I have confirmed at the Chocolate Audio site that they do allow license transfers, and don't charge for Kontakt stuff, but only two of the three drum libraries are offered as both BFD and Kontakt, and it looks like one must part with both (not a problem) and of course the fxpansion transfer fee would apply.

http://www.chocolateaudio.com/faq/

Imperial Drums is only offered for BFD and via fxpansion's website vs. Chocolate Audio's. The other two are Contemporary Drums and The Black Album Drums (Metallica), which are for both Kontakt and BFD and are bundled as one product.

Although all Chocolate Audio products can be transferred, I do not plan to part with the Yamaha BB-Bass library and just upgraded the Orchestral Harp yesterday (the brand-new update includes a second brand, more deeply sampled). They're a great vendor, but for drums I am now settled on exclusively using Superior Drummer 3, except occasionally the Abbey Road Drums and the free Sennheiser Drums during early mock-ups.

WX5, XK1c, Voyager
Re: FS: All XLN Audio (Addictive Drums/Keys) and BFD products [Re: Mark Schmieder] #2959092
11/22/18 03:25 AM
11/22/18 03:25 AM
San Francisco Bay Area
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member

San Francisco Bay Area
Please note that there's a lot more for sale once confirmed it's OK to do so -- I have little time at this stage in my life, unfortunately. I figured more people need drums than anything else, and those are expensive, plus I already know resale is allowed, so that's why I posted those first.

As I have spent considerable time these past two months doing deep study of my last few years worth of purchases, and have mostly concluded I should never have bothered reaching beyond Vienna Symphonic Library, and redundant orchestral library material is available too, as long as allowed for resale. I do know that East/West stuff can't be resold though.

WX5, XK1c, Voyager
Re: FS: All XLN Audio (Addictive Drums/Keys) and BFD products [Re: Mark Schmieder] #2972953
02/01/19 04:56 AM
02/01/19 04:56 AM
San Francisco Bay Area
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member

San Francisco Bay Area
Still surprised how hard it is to get rid of stuff essentially for free. :-)

Remember, there is no license transfer fee for XLN Audio products (Addictive Keys, Addictive Drums), and their Yamaha Upright Piano is awesome. I just have too many libraries and need to focus on specializing on fewer workflows. The XLN style is awkward for mew.

WX5, XK1c, Voyager
Re: FS: All XLN Audio (Addictive Drums/Keys) and BFD products [Re: Mark Schmieder] #2972989
02/01/19 11:34 AM
02/01/19 11:34 AM
AnotherScott Online content
10k Club
AnotherScott  Online Content
10k Club

I wonder if you might have more luck at a more VST-centric site like www.kvraudio.com

Also, there may be some TL;DR issues here. ;-)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our new video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out!
Re: FS: All XLN Audio (Addictive Drums/Keys) and BFD products [Re: AnotherScott] #2973050
02/01/19 05:22 PM
02/01/19 05:22 PM
Nevada
H
hardware Offline
Platinum Member
hardware  Offline
Platinum Member
H

Nevada
Do 1s and 0s lose any fidelity over time like DAT?

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic
Re: FS: All XLN Audio (Addictive Drums/Keys) and BFD products [Re: hardware] #2973062
02/01/19 06:03 PM
02/01/19 06:03 PM
San Francisco Bay Area
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member

San Francisco Bay Area
Yeah, I don't want to join KVR because it's full of jerks, and if I join vi-control I'm terrified that I'll not have enough discipline to avoid the forums themselves and only post ads. It's easy now because I'm not a member, so when idiocy prevails (easily remedied by five seconds of simple web or forum searching), I can just say to myself, "not my problem", and move on. But if I join, I will have a difficult time not being helpful, and I haven't the time at this particular juncture in my life.

Last edited by Mark Schmieder; 02/01/19 06:04 PM.

WX5, XK1c, Voyager
Re: FS: All XLN Audio (Addictive Drums/Keys) and BFD products [Re: Mark Schmieder] #2973728
02/04/19 07:35 PM
02/04/19 07:35 PM
San Francisco Bay Area
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member

San Francisco Bay Area
I did it: I joined vi-control finally, and resisted the temptation to get drawn into "recommendations" topics where the OP did exactly zero research first and then took as the "final truth" the responses of people who barely have any scope on their own knowledge. :-)

I posted Embertone Walker (Steinway) there so far, and will gradually post other items there (such as this one) once I have made more helpful posts and reviews (it would be tacky to just go in and post ads).

WX5, XK1c, Voyager
Re: FS: All XLN Audio (Addictive Drums/Keys) and BFD products [Re: Mark Schmieder] #2973858
02/05/19 12:32 PM
02/05/19 12:32 PM
Georgia, US
johnchop Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
johnchop  Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Georgia, US
PM sent

Re: FS: All XLN Audio (Addictive Drums/Keys) and BFD products [Re: johnchop] #2974667
02/09/19 12:24 AM
02/09/19 12:24 AM
San Francisco Bay Area
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member

San Francisco Bay Area
Addictive Drums is in process of transfer (along with all related products).

Addic tive Keys and its add-on librariues, is still available.

Also, the DS-10 plug-in effect, and the drum replacement app Addictive Trigger with its extra sound sets that are derived from Addictive Drums.

Everything from fxpansion and third-party vendors for Geist, the soft synth quartet, and BFD 3, is also still available, and as someone recently sold a set of them with a single $50 transfer fee from fxpansion in spite of what the FAQ's page says about a la carte transfers at $50 each (more than many of their libraries, pattern files, etc. cost when on 1/2 price sale as they currently are), then this does seem possible, and is my preference to sell the entire account to someone who has nothing from them yet.

WX5, XK1c, Voyager
Re: FS: All XLN Audio (Addictive Drums/Keys) and BFD products [Re: Mark Schmieder] #2975805
02/14/19 08:50 PM
02/14/19 08:50 PM
San Francisco Bay Area
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member

San Francisco Bay Area
I have confirmation from a recent seller, that the fxpansion license transfer fee is $50 per transaction vs. per product, so that opens up a lot of possibilities for anyone wanting any of the fxpansion products (and I own most of them).

I know people on this forum don't like to take the initiative when it comes to deals, but please be aware that now that I have registered at vi-control, where people DO take the initiative (and I haven't turned down or modified anyone's offers yet), I am likely to post this stuff there as soon as time allows (unfortunately, I rarely have any time at all for this sort of thing anymore; it is EXTREMELY time-consuming to research and post ads).

So my generous offers on this forum may not be around much longer.

WX5, XK1c, Voyager
Re: FS: All XLN Audio (Addictive Drums/Keys) and BFD products [Re: Mark Schmieder] #2982952
04/02/19 05:14 AM
04/02/19 05:14 AM
San Francisco Bay Area
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member

San Francisco Bay Area
I forgot that all six of the Addictive Keys buyers fell through due to blowing their budget on higher-end stuff during recent sales, so this suite, or individual libraries therein, is still available, and I think also the drum replacement software and the one or two plug-in effects, but not Addictive Drums itself (or its add-on stuff).

WX5, XK1c, Voyager

Moderated by  Dave Bryce, Joe Muscara