Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Let's hear it!!! Post your music here!

Here is some piano and orchestra short pieces I worked on earlier this year. All sounds are from the EWQL library. Really like the sound of EWQL Pianos, they don't often get given the attention the deserve IMHO.

https://soundcloud.com/lesterleroux/the-rising-sun?in=lesterleroux/sets/piano-spirit

Nektar LX61+, iPad 9.7 Inch, Mainstage, Korg Kronos 2

Hi fellas,

here's a demo I've made recently with two colleagues.

Recorded with a Tascam US16x08 btw - I have to say, I'm shocked how much quality and sound you can get for a laughable amount of money these days. At home I have the trusty Fireface 800 in my rack - but I'd be hard pressed to find a sonic difference between this and other live stuff I did with the Fireface. Dang!

[video:youtube]

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

Very nice, Morizzle.

I did something very unusual for me last Tuesday: I sang 9 of my original songs in front of a live audience as part of Songs and Stories, a concert I produced with Jesse Harris (composer of several of Norah Jones' songs including "Don't Know Why") and a cat named Todd Clouser.

I don't expect anyone to watch my 37 minute set (includes stories), although there are some pretty good laughs in there and one nice one at the expense of trump, but just watch the opening number if you're intrigued, an instrumental called When Coyote Dreams.

It's a nice composition if I say so myself. Written for my dog as I explain in the video afterwards.

The sound is my Casio PX5s with an AP and EP layered, through my SpaceStation.

Later in the evening, I accompanied Jesse on Don't Know Why and a few from his new album Aquarelle. Talented dude.

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

Survivors and Heroes

This is my tribute song about the devastating California wildfires

and its tragic impact on several thousand people.

The self sacrifice of numerous firefighters, humanitarian organizations

and volunteers is beyond words.

Greg

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

• 2 weeks later...

Solo piano:

Welcome to the forum Sam. Nice playing and the Ivory II Steinway sounds good. I don't think I know that piece offhand but parts of it sound familiar. But I won't venture a guess... :)

Thank you Dave. Yes, I love Ivory II. They're pretty flexible pianos. All recordings are just some improvisation in certain styles. That's probably why it sounded familiar.

You get around very well on the Kronos action. Personally it's never been a favorite of mine. Perhaps with a better sound source, like here, the player connection would be better for me.

www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

....Recorded with a Tascam US16x08 btw ....

Very nice playing .... and recording too!

I wanted to ask about your capture of the kit (which sounds very good). Are you using just 4 mics? I noticed your overheads are not even close to being equidistant from the snare. Do you find that close micing the snare makes it so it does not matter if your overhead mics are not equidistant from the snare?

....Recorded with a Tascam US16x08 btw ....

Very nice playing .... and recording too!

I wanted to ask about your capture of the kit (which sounds very good). Are you using just 4 mics? I noticed your overheads are not even close to being equidistant from the snare. Do you find that close micing the snare makes it so it does not matter if your overhead mics are not equidistant from the snare?

Hi! Thanks for the warm words :) Glad you like it!

Yes, my standard setup for live jazz drums is just four mics, kick, snare and two overheads (I also experimented with two overheads and a large condenser just above the bass drum, but I'll have to delve into that more to make it work).

With the snare mic I have the option to bring forward some frequencies plus the of course the volume balance you mentioned. Usually I'm a bit more careful setting up the overheads, but I did make sure they were at exactly the same height.

Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

Caffeine Achiever

We love our caffeine and get things done.

Caffeine achievers, lets drink and celebrate our brew and attitude !

I am the composer of this caffeinated instrumental with a 70's rock attitude.

100% Kronos. With strong coffee !

Greg

[70's Songwriter]

Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

Caffeine achievers, lets drink and celebrate our brew and attitude !

Greg

I dig this track. Great job!

Thank you for the compliments, DanG ! I am comfortable

with the 70's decade of music and some electronica.

I also think Kronos has instrument/Fx roots

in the 70's-90's.

[70's Songwriter]

Driving home late after a gig with the country band I heard an older tune, God Bless Texas and thought about how Nebraska was a tough rhyme (although pairing masses and Texas is actually pretty weak). Once I came up with a rhyme, the rest was pretty straightforward. Debuted appropriately enough at a tailgate in Lincoln. A third verse has been added as it was only two minutes long. Were going to sit down this week and see if we can get started recording it.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Hi fellas,

here's a demo I've made recently with two colleagues.

Recorded with a Tascam US16x08 btw - I have to say, I'm shocked how much quality and sound you can get for a laughable amount of money these days. At home I have the trusty Fireface 800 in my rack - but I'd be hard pressed to find a sonic difference between this and other live stuff I did with the Fireface. Dang!

I've listened to this track a few times now. Very nice indeed! Do you go through setting up all this every time, or this is just how you have your studio configured with mics and instruments?

www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

Morizzle, that's some amazing playing from all on board, and gives me some hints for how I might be able to pull the Hammond Organ into my own jazz combo gigs (I can't step away from the bass on most songs, and hiring a keyboardist is nigh impossible around these parts).

You do a great job with left-hand bass, keeping perfect timing along with a great groove and swing (most organists are nowhere near as good as a real bassist in this regard, but with your playing I don't feel the absence of that player).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Driving home late after a gig with the country band I heard an older tune, God Bless Texas and thought about how Nebraska was a tough rhyme (although pairing masses and Texas is actually pretty weak).

Reminds me of Steve Miller's ability to stretch rhymes to the breaking points...

Billy Mack is a detective down in Texas

You know he knows just exactly what the facts is

He ain't gonna let those two escape justice

He makes his livin' off of the people's taxes

Morizzle, that's some amazing playing from all on board, and gives me some hints for how I might be able to pull the Hammond Organ into my own jazz combo gigs (I can't step away from the bass on most songs, and hiring a keyboardist is nigh impossible around these parts).

You do a great job with left-hand bass, keeping perfect timing along with a great groove and swing (most organists are nowhere near as good as a real bassist in this regard, but with your playing I don't feel the absence of that player).

:o Hey Mark, thanks for the high praises! I'm back to the practice room now :keys:

Driving home late after a gig with the country band I heard an older tune, God Bless Texas and thought about how Nebraska was a tough rhyme (although pairing masses and Texas is actually pretty weak).

Reminds me of Steve Miller's ability to stretch rhymes to the breaking points...

Billy Mack is a detective down in Texas

You know he knows just exactly what the facts is

He ain't gonna let those two escape justice

He makes his livin' off of the people's taxes

Wrote a lot of parody lyrics over the years for the local medical society show. A favorite was a singing ad for a local hospital system to the tune of Thats Amore.

If you breaka your bones or you get kidney stones, try Alegent

Got a pain in your chest or a lump in your breast, try Alegent

But my favorite rhyme referred to a failed merger with the University hospital.

North and south, east and west

Weve got only the best in our system

Though its true things fell through

Trying to merge with the U...

We aint missed em

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12