Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha MOXF8 Excessive Mechanical Key Noise

My issue with both of my Yamaha MOXF8 keyboards is not with the release (where the metal piece returns to the Stopper"). The keys makes noise as they are pressed, in the attack phase if you will. Just lightly touching the keys makes a lot of noise. Both keyboards have become extremely noisy the more I play them (hours per day). Ive replaced the keys with replacement keys (there is a black key replacement part, and 2 different white keys replacement parts), and lubricated everywhere I can find, all to no avail. I cannot determine where in the world all the noise is coming from! I cannot be the only person experiencing this! And I am experiencing it on 2 identical units (one I use for the West Coast, one for the East Coast).

I love the MOXF8, its the perfect keyboard to satisfy my requirements but wow, do the keys physically make a lot of noise as they are played. I really wish someone could please tell me what the culprit is so I could quiet them down, please! Does anyone know, please?

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW, I have also tried finding a solution on the Motifator Forum, as well as the general internet, all to no avail. I simply find it amazing that I'm the only one who has this problem and has actively searched to solve it. I suspect the "cause" is that I have an unusually hard touch, and I use the MOXF8 much of the time for organ voices, thus end up doing organ-like slides, etc, on the keyed, which I think has tended to "loosen up" the action more than would occur otherwise. Maybe?

I was just hoping that some ingenious person had experienced the same problem, and taken it apart to find out specifically what parts are becoming "looser" so that I could change out those parts to renew the keyboards. Alas, nothing yet.

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512.

Thank you for your response, Markyboard. Yes, I have considered calling them... in my personal experience, they have not been particularly "friendly", but yes, that is a good idea. I was hoping to not have to pay their charges... plus, neither of my axes is actually broken... I'm afraid they'll tell me (just like the car dealerships) - "operating normally".

Regarding Sven's request for a video: With all due respect, it would not make a difference. It's simply noisy. If someone else has experienced it, they'll know what I'm talking about. I respectfully really do not believe that a video would provide any better explanation. Nor do I know how to do one! The keys are simply noisy, "noisy" being a subjective term. As I cannot believe I am a unique situation, apparently others either do not hear the noise, or do not find it objectionable, which is fine. I tend to like to play at very low volume levels, thus maybe that's why it is so objectionable to me. Certainly when I perform with bands or others, at those volume levels, the noise is not heard.

Thanks... I need it for a gig tomorrow, but maybe after that. Might you know specifically what they did to correct your problems? Lubrication or new parts?

• 2 years later...
Apologies, I'd forgotten about this thread. Just to close the loop - I did take it to the local Authorized Yamaha repair shop. $650 later, they replaced the entire keybed. It's been wonderfully quiet, and silky smooth to play for many months now, but is starting to get noisy and "clickety" again..... ugh. I guess that's the price of having a weighted-action 88 note keyboard that weighs only 32 pounds.

$650 to replace a meh keybed on a $2000 board???

Could of bought a used one for a little more and had lots of spare parts for future repairs.

I know, point taken. But chances are the used one would have the same problem as the existing one. I basically got a new MOXF8 for $650, which was not happening used. I know, silly perhaps. But I really like this particular keyboard. I understand its "meh" for you. But it's nearly perfect for me (when the keys are tight and quiet). It "fits" me, and my requirements, particularly well. That's why I have 3 of them.

The KB on my Yamaha Motif ES8 has always been noisy. However I recorded and played complete "Band" sequenced songs and no one in front can hear it. No big deal.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.