Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2956798 - 11/07/18 07:48 AM Holy s***! Saw Crimson last night
Aidan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Stoke-on-Trent, UK
Quite possibly the best gig I've ever been to. Every single member of the double quartet was on fire, with Gavin Harrison absolutely astounding behind one of the three kits. Jeremy Stacey, on the centre kit, also played a lot of keyboard parts with Bill Reiflin (another drummer/keyboardist – where does Bob find them?) just handling keys parts this time around (Korg SV1 and a controller driving a Mainstage rig, I think).

How the f*** do you even learn parts like these, let alone remember them in live performance? Starless was the absolute highlight of an incredible evening. Here's what you missed...

If you get chance to catch this tour, I urge you with all my heart to do so. You won't regret it.

KC Island
#2956805 - 11/07/18 08:52 AM Re: Holy s***! Saw Crimson last night [Re: Aidan]
Mark Zeger Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
I’ve seen KC in other editions including the early ‘80s quartet. The last time was the “double trio” of 2 guitarists, 2 bassists, & 2 drummers. It was painfully loud, certainly the loudest concert I’ve seen, so I skipped their June 2018 tour stop. I heard from others at that show it was also intensely loud. How was the volume at this show?

#2956811 - 11/07/18 09:35 AM Re: Holy s***! Saw Crimson last night [Re: Mark Zeger]
Aidan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Stoke-on-Trent, UK
Not too bad but I did use my custom plugs as a precaution.

#2956820 - 11/07/18 10:43 AM Re: Holy s***! Saw Crimson last night [Re: Aidan]
GovernorSilver Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Washington DC
Ah so Bill Reiflin is back. He wasn't present when we saw KC in DC last year. He's allowed to take vacations from KC as often as he wants apparently. Admittedly, I haven't heard much KFMDM or Ministry, otherwise I'd have been more familiar with his work.

It's funny how they actually got louder, not softer, after bringing Mel Collins back into the fold.

#2956830 - 11/07/18 12:02 PM Re: Holy s***! Saw Crimson last night [Re: GovernorSilver]
nickd Offline
Gold Member

Loc: UK
Sounds great!

They're playing where I live (Nottingham) RIGHT NOW... Maybe I'll regret it, but having seen Steve Hackett last month I felt I'd had enough prog for a while.

#2956895 - 11/08/18 02:28 AM Re: Holy s***! Saw Crimson last night [Re: nickd]
Losendoskeys Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: West Sussex, UK
Originally Posted By: nickd
Sounds great!

They're playing where I live (Nottingham) RIGHT NOW... Maybe I'll regret it, but having seen Steve Hackett last month I felt I'd had enough prog for a while.

Enough prog? You can never have enough prog! coffee

#2957323 - Yesterday at 02:07 AM Re: Holy s***! Saw Crimson last night [Re: Losendoskeys]
Nordude Offline

Attended the Crims' concert in the Amsterdam Concertgebouw, last July. To me, it wasn't that loud actually, and I haven't suffered any aignificant hearing loss yet.
Great show in a Crim-historically significant venue.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner