Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2956746 - 11/06/18 05:42 PM Problem with Omnisphere 2 after update
ksoper Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Murfreesboro,TN,UNITED STATES
I've been in almost daily communication with Spectrasonics for the last week and a half and while the tech has been helpful, we still haven't solved the problem. Figured I'd run it by you folks.

Windows 7, i7 quad-core, 16gb ram, 2gb nvidia gpu. Omnisphere 2 ran successfully, even with multiple instances. I signed up for the 2.5 beta and ran that without issue. When the final release turned up I downloaded it and here's where I ran into trouble.

After applying the update I launched O2 from the desktop icon. The bottom half of the splash screen was blank (solid black, no printed info). There were no presets listed, no waves to choose from. The browser showed blue folders on a white background. I could click dropdown boxes and see things like clock division. I closed it and launched Sonar X3 to open O2 from there. Same thing. I thought that something happened during the update and that it might be the safest thing to reinstall O2. From disks. It takes a long time.

This time I launched Sonar first and was prompted for authorization. Except that where the challenge code window usually is, there was nothing. The "copy" and "paste" buttons were there, but no codes, no window to copy from or paste to. Fast forward to two more reinstallations from disk. No change.

Spectrasonics was kind enough to provide me a download of O2 to save me time. They had me apply an Easy Fix and another Windows Update to allow the download. The results were identical. No presets, no challenge code/windows. So just for the hell of it, I clicked "copy" and on the web site authorization window clicked paste. A code appeared. I advanced to get a response code, copied that and returned to O2. I clicked the "paste" button though there was nowhere to paste the code, and was prompted to close O2 and reopen--a normal authorization process. Unfortunately the results were the same.

Now, after one of the reinstalls I opened Stylus RMX to see if I had hosed it in the process. It asked for authorization. I did that, but I'm not sure why that happened. Then before the last O2 reinstallation I uninstalled Stylus, then installed O2, then installed Stylus again. It prompted for authorization and worked predictably.

But I haven't gained any ground. O2 continues to show a blank splash screen, no presets, no waves. Any thoughts?

KC Island
#2956751 - 11/06/18 06:39 PM Re: Problem with Omnisphere 2 after update [Re: ksoper]
hardware Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Macau
I still havenít updated and will not until I take a month off in January.
Iím behind on Kontakt, PianoTeq, Zebra2 HZ and Omnisphere.
Still using Windows 7 Pro.
I hate fixing things that already work.
But appreciate your post.
Iím always a year or so behind but I canít afford to screw up my 1U PC because Iíll have to drag around a spare thatís in a 4U.
And even when I do upgrade my spare 4U gets to be the Guinnes Pig.
If it fails I go into panic mode even though Iíve only had 1 gig in 20 years that I had to reboot and it was from a poor design in airflow in my part.

Thanks for sharing though.
Sounds to me like you might want to try and use just the on die GFX the i7 comes with.
It seems graphics related, but Iíve never seen this and I upgraded with Keyscape with zero hassles.

Good Luck and please post back what you discover.
I like using Four Part presets in Omnisphere, been doing it since I got it.
Multis are a work around maybe since the biggest reason to upgrade was 4 part presets from what Iíve read.

#2956756 - 11/06/18 07:15 PM Re: Problem with Omnisphere 2 after update [Re: hardware]
Markay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
As the issue seems to be with screen display is it possible that the Omnispehere 2.5 GUI is not compatable with your video card, or current video card resolution settings?

#2956761 - 11/06/18 08:05 PM Re: Problem with Omnisphere 2 after update [Re: Markay]
ksoper Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Markay
As the issue seems to be with screen display is it possible that the Omnispehere 2.5 GUI is not compatable with your video card, or current video card resolution settings?

I'll go mess with settings, but even after reloading O2 from the installation disks I had the problem. And remember that the 2.5 beta worked flawlessly. I really should've left it alone.

#2956762 - 11/06/18 08:16 PM Re: Problem with Omnisphere 2 after update [Re: ksoper]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Ghost Planet
Any chance Spectrasonics will give you access to the beta download again? Seems like something is amiss with the authorization screen/process. I've seen quirks with the Spectrasonics authorization screen in the past, but nothing like what you've run into here.

Busch.

#2956768 - 11/06/18 10:30 PM Re: Problem with Omnisphere 2 after update [Re: burningbusch]
ksoper Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: burningbusch
Any chance Spectrasonics will give you access to the beta download again? Seems like something is amiss with the authorization screen/process. I've seen quirks with the Spectrasonics authorization screen in the past, but nothing like what you've run into here.

Busch.

I'm sure they'd offer me the beta. That would be a good troubleshooting step. But right now I've got bigger, and possibly related, fish to fry. I just went to try fiddling with video settings and Windows wouldn't boot. Yikes. Running a utility to find out how boned I am. We did have a tornado go overhead last night but the computer was still functional early this morning after the storm.

#2956769 - 11/06/18 11:22 PM Re: Problem with Omnisphere 2 after update [Re: ksoper]
Markay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
Hope the machine comes back up OK. Some more options, do you have a system backup with 2.5 beta you can roll back to?

Before that try disabling your anti virus and windows defender. It is unlikely, but possible, that some update to that is blocking the authoristion screen from fully loading.

#2956770 - 11/06/18 11:36 PM Re: Problem with Omnisphere 2 after update [Re: Markay]
ksoper Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Markay
Hope the machine comes back up OK. Some more options, do you have a system backup with 2.5 beta you can roll back to?

The boot repair didn't accomplish anything. A system restore point from 3 days ago wouldn't load. Chkdsk didn't find anything wrong. I was within days of buying an external drive to backup to. Of course. Fortunately all my audio files are on a different drive and, with any luck, intact.

Thanks, all, for the tips. I may still have the Omnisphere problem once everything is operational. Or, something was amiss with Windows and caused the problem.

#2956785 - 11/07/18 04:12 AM Re: Problem with Omnisphere 2 after update [Re: ksoper]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia
By any chance do you have a dual boot system?

#2956894 - 11/08/18 02:06 AM Re: Problem with Omnisphere 2 after update [Re: Markyboard]
ksoper Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Markyboard
By any chance do you have a dual boot system?

I do not. I have a few things to try before wiping the drive. I got one bsod and the code suggested a number of problems, from hardware failure to viruses and malware. The only thing loaded or run in the last week is O2, plus the Windows patches needed to download it. When the Spectrasonics tech asked me to apply an Easy Fix from MS a cold shiver ran down my spine. My fears were justified.

#2956991 - 11/08/18 04:21 PM Re: Problem with Omnisphere 2 after update [Re: ksoper]
MoodyBluesKeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: eastern North Carolina
Won't help this time, but I suggest you get a program like Acronis, which makes an image file of the entire system (Windows, programs, data, all) on an external drive. Then NEVER make any change that even might be problematic without making an image backup first.
Saved my bacon numerous times. Like TimeMachine on a Mac
Jim

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner