Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2956663 - 11/06/18 07:55 AM Yamaha MOXF8 Excessive Mechanical Key Noise
cassdad Offline

Loc: Southern California
My issue with both of my Yamaha MOXF8 keyboards is not with the release (where the metal piece returns to the “Stopper"). The keys makes noise as they are pressed, in the “attack phase” if you will. Just lightly touching the keys makes a lot of noise. Both keyboards have become extremely noisy the more I play them (hours per day). I’ve replaced the keys with replacement keys (there is a black key replacement part, and 2 different white keys replacement parts), and lubricated everywhere I can find, all to no avail. I cannot determine where in the world all the noise is coming from! I cannot be the only person experiencing this! And I am experiencing it on 2 identical units (one I use for the West Coast, one for the East Coast).

I love the MOXF8, it’s the perfect keyboard to satisfy my requirements… but wow, do the keys physically make a lot of noise as they are played. I really wish someone could please tell me what the culprit is so I could quiet them down, please! Does anyone know, please?

KC Island
#2956668 - 11/06/18 08:16 AM Re: Yamaha MOXF8 Excessive Mechanical Key Noise [Re: cassdad]
Sven Golly Offline
KC Ambassador of Goodwill
10k Club

Loc: Toronto, ON
Any chance you could film a video and post to YouTube so we could hear it and see it in action? That would help (although your description was good, seeing it "in real life" is always much better).

#2956750 - 11/06/18 06:28 PM Re: Yamaha MOXF8 Excessive Mechanical Key Noise [Re: Sven Golly]
Michael W Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Chicago, IL
I do not have an answer for you. However, I owned a Yamaha MOXF8 for a couple of years myself, and the key noise always seemed REALLY loud to me. Good luck with your quest.

#2956948 - 11/08/18 09:20 AM Re: Yamaha MOXF8 Excessive Mechanical Key Noise [Re: Michael W]
cassdad Offline

FWIW, I have also tried finding a solution on the Motifator Forum, as well as the general internet, all to no avail. I simply find it amazing that I'm the only one who has this problem and has actively searched to solve it. I suspect the "cause" is that I have an unusually hard touch, and I use the MOXF8 much of the time for organ voices, thus end up doing organ-like slides, etc, on the keyed, which I think has tended to "loosen up" the action more than would occur otherwise. Maybe?

I was just hoping that some ingenious person had experienced the same problem, and taken it apart to find out specifically what parts are becoming "looser" so that I could change out those parts to renew the keyboards. Alas, nothing yet.

#2956951 - 11/08/18 09:50 AM Re: Yamaha MOXF8 Excessive Mechanical Key Noise [Re: cassdad]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia
Have you contacted Yamaha tech (close by for you)? Been many years for me but they were always extremely helpful over the phone. Also you didn't respond to Sven's request above. wink

#2957095 - 11/09/18 09:46 AM Re: Yamaha MOXF8 Excessive Mechanical Key Noise [Re: Markyboard]
cassdad Offline

Thank you for your response, Markyboard. Yes, I have considered calling them... in my personal experience, they have not been particularly "friendly", but yes, that is a good idea. I was hoping to not have to pay their charges... plus, neither of my axes is actually broken... I'm afraid they'll tell me (just like the car dealerships) - "operating normally".

Regarding Sven's request for a video: With all due respect, it would not make a difference. It's simply noisy. If someone else has experienced it, they'll know what I'm talking about. I respectfully really do not believe that a video would provide any better explanation. Nor do I know how to do one! The keys are simply noisy, "noisy" being a subjective term. As I cannot believe I am a unique situation, apparently others either do not hear the noise, or do not find it objectionable, which is fine. I tend to like to play at very low volume levels, thus maybe that's why it is so objectionable to me. Certainly when I perform with bands or others, at those volume levels, the noise is not heard.

#2957114 - 11/09/18 11:14 AM Re: Yamaha MOXF8 Excessive Mechanical Key Noise [Re: cassdad]
Sven Golly Offline
KC Ambassador of Goodwill
10k Club

Loc: Toronto, ON
snax

#2957922 - 11/14/18 01:41 PM Re: Yamaha MOXF8 Excessive Mechanical Key Noise [Re: Sven Golly]
zephonic Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, CA
I have similar keybed noise from both the MX88 and MODX8.

Not ideal, especially in the studio, but for gigs it doesn't really matter.

#2958042 - Yesterday at 09:39 AM Re: Yamaha MOXF8 Excessive Mechanical Key Noise [Re: zephonic]
Pete the bean Offline

Loc: Canada
Yamaha Canada has been more than extremely helpful in dealing with keyboard issues on my Cp1. With the support of their local technician my keyboard issues were taken seriously and resolved. 10/10.
I would suggest contacting Yamaha s service department.

#2958050 - Yesterday at 10:09 AM Re: Yamaha MOXF8 Excessive Mechanical Key Noise [Re: Pete the bean]
cassdad Offline

Thanks... I need it for a gig tomorrow, but maybe after that. Might you know specifically what they did to correct your problems? Lubrication or new parts?

#2958078 - Yesterday at 12:18 PM Re: Yamaha MOXF8 Excessive Mechanical Key Noise [Re: cassdad]
Pete the bean Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: cassdad
Thanks... I need it for a gig tomorrow, but maybe after that. Might you know specifically what they did to correct your problems? Lubrication or new parts?

Yamaha replaced the entire keyboard.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner